• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 New Left 4 Dead Screens, 1st Infected Gameplay This Week On GTTV

rod

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I don't see how zombies is anymore of a talking point than aliens or other monsters that you kill in games.

It just has really poor graphics to me...I hate using the word generic, but that's what is looks like. It'll be fun, because honestly, what co-op games aren't really fun? I just feel that there are better co-op titles coming out that I'd much rather play this fall.

it sounds like you care little if the game will be fun (very good chance, valve) and are concerned more with the visuals.

if you think there are better coop games coming, whats your point? noone is forcing you to play this :/ the graphics look "poor" but you better believe on a pc the game will look fucking sweet. source games always do.

but it sounds like youve already decided you dont like it, bad graphics and all that.

zeloe326

Just watched the GTTV footage. Gameplay looks fun as hell, but I can't help but notice how everything has a "card board cutout" look to it that makes it look out dated.

kiUNiT said:
Please the Hoffman has a 360.

Yup.

And one of those games that I think I'll have more fun with in co-op is Gears 2, I just don't want to turn this into a pissing contest between various games.

Like I said, I'm sure the game won't be bad at all, I'm just not seeing what's so great about it from the footage and screens I've seen.

If it ends up being a total smash hit, I'll definitely pick it up on the 360.

So I read that there was only 15 seconds of Infected gameplay.

Bummer.

Oh, and does anyone know for sure if you can play as an infected at L4D launch, or is it pushed back until a later date?

dLMN8R

Iced_Eagle said:
So I read that there was only 15 seconds of Infected gameplay.

Bummer.

Oh, and does anyone know for sure if you can play as an infected at L4D launch, or is it pushed back until a later date?
I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. Even after talking to two different people at PAX. One person I talked to said that it was actually his project to get the Infected gameplay working for launch, and another person seemed less certain.

Either way, if it's not there at launch, it'll probably be there pretty soon after launch even by Valve time.

turk128

People are complaining about the art direction in this game? There's definitely a style there but it's subtle, not hit-you-over-your-head-look-how-cool-I-can-be way (very Valve-like... besides TF2).

The style in L4D compared to Gears 2 is like Andrew Loomis to Todd Mcfarlane.

Alright, episode is up on gametrailers.com

Watched the L4D stuff and it looks great.

So, here's the summary

- Zombies playable are in the game day one.
- They are two separate modes. One where there are only 4 players as survivors, and AI Director controls all zombies, or a competive mode where you switch each round. The competitive mode is a lot harder since the boss zombies don't have respawn times, whereas AI Director can sometimes give you a break.
- You have an orange tint on your screen and always know where the survivors are.
- It is going to rock

*Edit* To anyone bitching about the art style, read this: http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GameFest08_ArtInSource.pdf (warning: pdf)

dLMN8R said:
Every person I've ever seen post apathy over Left 4 Dead goes on to later demonstrate that they don't understand the very fundamentals of what makes the game what it is. Especially those bitching and moaning about graphics :lol

I think you might be being a little defensive there.

MNC

Dr.Acula said:
left4dead-old-zoey.jpg
<3<3<3

Wasn't the reason they changed it because it shouldn't be some stereotypical 4 veteran zombie killers and worn out, but something along the lines of at the rise of the infections?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I want but have no monies!!!! Unless I cancel my Last Remnant pre-order for this since they come out at the same time roughly.

Left 4 Dead threads are the places to go if you want to weed out the graphic whores who don't give a flying fuck about gameplay. Why are you even playing video games? Go watch some freaking Pixar movie or something. Jesus Christ.

It's sad looking at people decrying Valve, of all developers, just because it's not shiny enough or whatever.

Clinton514

Hehe, I have no issue with the graphics. Sure they're no where near pretty but I'm concerned about the game being bore after the first few hours. I love shootin' zombies but I also like diversity.

StuBurns

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Left 4 Dead threads are the places to go if you want to weed out the graphic whores who don't give a flying fuck about gameplay. Why are you even playing video games? Go watch some freaking Pixar movie or something. Jesus Christ.

It's sad looking at people decrying Valve, of all developers, just because it's not shiny enough or whatever.

Why can't we have both? Is it bad to complain that this game looks like ass? It's at the top of my must have list, I'm a complete Valve-whore, but it doesn't stop it being ugly. I don't see the issue with complaining about it. It's not an either/or situation, this game would function identically if it did look good.

looks awesome. screw the haters. if you're expecting an online game that features hundreds of characters on screen at once to have awesome graphics you don't get it at all.

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
looks awesome. screw the haters. if you're expecting an online game that features hundreds of characters on screen at once to have awesome graphics you don't get it at all.
What way does it's online play effect the pissweak texture work? It's not something that is sent over the web, it makes no difference at all.

raYne

TheHeretic said:
I think you might be being a little defensive there.
He is correct, however. Nearly every "I don't get the hype/appeal" post always includes a either graphical or animation point. It is pretty damn sad that this is what we've come to and makes me wonder why people play games in the first place.

Anyways, as expected the Hunter seems to be the most fun infected to play as with the Smoker not far behind. Can't wait. :D

Draft

The L4D defense force is pretty irritating. It's ok to call a spade a spade. Only morons attack the gameplay, and really, they are few and far between. But it's never been a GREAT looking game, and this latest batch of screens is especially ugly. You don't have to create 6 reasons that's not the case. Just accept it. Let it wash over you. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to get hyped for a game when you stop damage controlling its faults.

stuburns said:
What way does it's online play effect the pissweak texture work? It's not something that is sent over the web, it makes no difference at all.
tell me one online game that has as many enemies online as L4D has that looked as good as the best games out at the time it was released?

you have 100s of enemies in open environments you aren't going to have as much memory for the textures. online games have to be optimised differently, and L4D has been optimised to run well on a wide variety of machines.

i can list you a bunch of games that have multiplayer modes that either don't run as well as their single player modes or don't look as good.

raYne

Draft said:
The L4D defense force is pretty irritating. It's ok to call a spade a spade. Only morons attack the gameplay, and really, they are few and far between. But it's never been a GREAT looking game, and this latest batch of screens is especially ugly. You don't have to create 6 reasons that's not the case. Just accept it. Let it wash over you. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to get hyped for a game when you stop damage controlling its faults.
No more irratating that the, "I looked at this screenshot and don't get it, so convince me", posts that always pop up.

I'm not defending the look of the game at all, but not one person is excited about the game because of the graphics. Not one. And as was his point, this is seemingly what people are using to figure out why they should be hyped about it.

Draft

raYne said:
No more irratating that the, "I looked at this screenshot and don't get it, so convince me", posts that always pop up.

I'm not defending the look of the game at all, but not one person is excited about the game because of the graphics. Not one.
So what? :lol Does that make the graphics untouchable? They're a pretty big part of the game (any game, really), and is it wrong to want a game to look better rather than worse?

raYne

Draft said:
So what? :lol Does that make the graphics untouchable? They're a pretty big part of the game (any game, really), and is it wrong to want a game to look better rather than worse?
Check the edit.

Complaining about graphics is general is completely different that trying to use it to rationalize how people could possible be interested in it.

Draft

That's just a dude trolling the game. His intention is clear.

I'm surprised infected are making it day one. I still can't wrap my head around how it's balanced. It seems to me that a coordinated infected team is going to be slaughter the survivor team every single time.

2 zombies have debilitating attacks that lock down a survivor until another survivor rescues him.

1 zombie is a bullet sponge that can do an AOE stun.

1 zombie can "tag" survivors with goop that makes all of the AI zombies beeline for that survivor.

Basically, the 4 human zombies can chill out, wait for a gang of AI zombies to rush the survivors, and then just roll through and clean up the mess.

Draft said:

I'm surprised infected are making it day one. I still can't wrap my head around how it's balanced. It seems to me that a coordinated infected team is going to be slaughter the survivor team every single time.

2 zombies have debilitating attacks that lock down a survivor until another survivor rescues him.

1 zombie can "tag" survivors with goop that makes all of the AI zombies beeline for that survivor.

Basically, the 4 human zombies can chill out, wait for a gang of AI zombies to rush the survivors, and then just roll through and clean up the mess.
it's valve. they weren't even considering including this mode at launch because they hadn't got it balanced yet. if it's in there it works, and if there's some tactic or exploit they've missed, they will fix it.

in this mode you only have to survive through one level rather than a series, and anyway, it's a stop watch mode. it's who can stop the survivors fastest, not human team vs zombie team. you swap teams after the first round, whoever survived longest wins.

sounds pretty balancable to me.

dude

dude
The game looks fine. I don't think it's ugly, it's not the best looking, but it's faaaaar from being ugly.

Draft

plagiarize said:
it's valve. they weren't even considering including this mode at launch because they hadn't got it balanced yet. if it's in there it works, and if there's some tactic or exploit they've missed, they will fix it.

in this mode you only have to survive through one level rather than a series, and anyway, it's a stop watch mode. it's who can stop the survivors fastest, not human team vs zombie team. you swap teams after the first round, whoever survived longest wins.

sounds pretty balancable to me.
:lol Well, you're faithful. That's a given.

Draft said:
:lol Well, you're faithful. That's a given.
i can't even begin to deny that i've been out spoken about this game since it was first unveiled. i have. i love my horror stuff and i know i'm going to love this personally. that doesn't mean i can't look beyond that at it critically.

Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddlers Green had online zombie killing co-op and i had a blast with it. but i can also explain to you why that game is shit and how shit it is. i just know that zombie killing co-op from a good developer like Valve is going to be a huge blast for me...

but i can also see the level of excitement over this game goes well beyond the horror circles and reaches a lot of people who aren't valve faithful and aren't into horror per se.

the fact is, that i'm only 'valve faithful' because they've been knocking things out of the park the last few years. that's a proven track record. they don't put something out until it's fun. i can't see why this game would be any different.

GhaleonEB

Quick thought on this game.

I haven't paid much attention to it until lately, but I loved the premise and the co-op emphasis. I was really turned off watching the first gameplay footage though - the pacing is all screwed up, IMO. I dismissed it.

Then I saw it in action at PAX. Hooooo boy did it look great. Everything moves so fast the visual shortcomings don't really come across, but the strong lighting and level design does. I'm still tentative on the game - I REALLY hate the pacing - but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I've been wondering about "balance" myself. When I use balance, I don't mean it in the literal sense. Of course, if you are playing against a team of individuals who actually get that it's a team game and coordinate shit, then it's going to be difficult on either side. Like Draft said though, I already see a number of possibilities of outright destroying a team, and that's not even with the witch around.

The spiderman like zombie seems to go down like a bitch and not take to much damage, but his tongue seems to be the main problem. The boomer doesn't look to bad either, just his vomit. So...if someone vomited on a person, I wonder if you could have them run away from the main group and toss a pipe bomb to distract them. In all honesty the only big problem I see is a combination of one or the other with the tank. With him it seems to turn into the Nemesis mode from Zombie CS 1.6, which means run the fuck away and stick with your team.

This should be interesting to see how it plays out though. I hope they give out more info on the infected side soon and the beta.

Also, do the guns have damage stun like natascha from TF2, or is it just shoot until they stop running at you?

Cdammen

I'm really looking forward to this game. I love co-op experiences and this one is shaping up to be the king of them all. I'm just worried about the extremely fast paced gameplay on my Xbox 360... the controls were a bit wonky in The Orange Box and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so I'm stuck playing the console port.

(EDIT) They should add a special zombie which takes a lot of damage, is slow but insta-kills if he catches you :)

Yeah and the game looks really good in motion. The amount of enemies on screen is staggering.

dLMN8R

Draft said:

That's why they separated it out into a different VS mode instead of being a part of the main game.

The M.O.B

Cdammen said:
I'm really looking forward to this game. I love co-op experiences and this one is shaping up to be the king of them all. I'm just worried about the extremely fast paced gameplay on my Xbox 360... the controls were a bit wonky in The Orange Box and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so I'm stuck playing the console port.

(EDIT) They should add a special zombie which takes a lot of damage, is slow but insta-kills if he catches you :)

Yeah and the game looks really good in motion. The amount of enemies on screen is staggering.

They have that, it's called The Witch, she just not slow.

She moves quick, has a lot of health, and can drop you in one hit

Draft said:

Seeing as how the human side has been ready to go for over a fucking YEAR, they better have fucking balanced out the infected by now.

Fuckers.

It's a shame about the people who can't look past the graphics
And bitter PS3 fanboys
. You'll be missing out on a guaranteed top notch game.

Valve/CounterStrike team developed is guaranteed online fun. I've never disliked anything Valve has done, to be honest.

Top Bottom