• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007-2008 Network overnight ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Figure I would start this as a catch all.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/ar..._50/NBC_s_Monday_lineup_takes_another_hit.asp

NBC's Monday
lineup takes another hit

Third-week letdown: Averages 3.5, off 24 percent

By Toni Fitzgerald
Oct 9, 2007

NBC’s Monday night lineup started the season strong, but it has declined in the two weeks since then. Last night the network slipped into third place, down 24 percent from its opening night.

The network averaged a 3.5 rating and 9 share, according to Nielsen overnights, down from a 4.6/11 overnight average on premiere week, when it placed a close second to ABC. Last week it averaged a 4.0/10, tying for second.

By comparison, ABC was down 13 percent from an opening-week 4.7/12, while CBS is down 7 percent from a 4.2/10.

NBC’s three dramas have seen double-digit declines since then as well. “Chuck” is down 28 percent from its premiere, from a 3.6 to a 2.6 last night, while “Heroes” slipped to a season-low 5.0, though it was still the night’s top-rated show, just ahead of ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” at 4.9.

And “Journeyman,” “Heroes’” 10 p.m. lead-out, averaged a 3.0 last night, 19 percent below its season-opening 3.7 average.

Certainly some of the dropoff could be attributable to digital video recorder use, as Nielsen’s DVR sample has more than doubled since this time last year. Media people caution that seven-day-playback ratings will provide a much better picture of whether new series are actually losing viewers or viewers are simply time-shifting them after tuning in for the first episode.

But the declines may also signal lower viewership for the shows. Media buyers had pegged “Journeyman” as one of the season’s early casualties, saying it was too confusing. “Heroes” saw its 18-49 audience decline steadily at the end of last season, while comedy “Chuck,” though receiving excellent reviews, is competing with sitcom lineups on CBS and CW.

Meanwhile, ABC finished first for the night among 18-49s with a 4.1 average overnight rating and a 10 share. CBS was second at 3.9/10, NBC third at 3.5/9, Fox fourth at 2.5/6, Univision fifth at 1.6/4 and CW sixth at 1.1/3.

At 8 p.m. ABC led with a 4.7 for its first hour of “Dancing with the Stars,” followed by CBS with a 3.3 average for “How I Met Your Mother” (3.2) and “The Big Bang Theory” (3.4). Fox was third with a 3.0 for “Prison Break,” NBC fourth with a 2.6 for “Chuck,” Univision fifth with a 1.3 for “Amar sin Limites” and CW sixth with a 1.0 average for “Everybody Hates Chris” (1.1) and “Aliens in America” (0.8).

Both those shows did see growth in the CW’s target 18-34s from last week, with “Chris” up 20 percent to a 1.2 and “Aliens” rising 25 percent to a 1.0, though they were still last in the timeslot.

NBC took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 5.0 for “Heroes,” with ABC sliding to second with a 4.5 average for its last half hour of “Stars” and its first 30 minutes of “The Bachelor.” CBS was third with a 4.1 average for “Two and a Half Men” (4.4) and “Rules of Engagement” (3.8), Univision fourth with a 2.1 for “Destilando Amor,” Fox fifth with a 2.0 for “K-Ville” and CW sixth with a 1.3 average for “Girlfriends” (1.2) and “The Game” (1.4), which built on its lead-in for the second straight week.

At 10 p.m. CBS led with a 4.3 for “CSI: Miami,” with ABC second with a 3.1 for its last hour of “Bachelor.” NBC was third with a 3.0 for “Journeyman” and Univision fourth with a 1.5 for “Cristina.”

Among households, ABC led the night with a 9.8 average overnight rating and a 15 share. CBS was second at 7.4/11, NBC third at 5.1/8, Fox fourth at 3.9/6, Univision fifth at 2.0/3 and CW sixth at 1.6/2.

JdFoX187

Banned
I love almost all of the new shows, so I know some are going to drop. But I really want Journeyman to succeed.

Costanza

Banned
Is Journeyman really doing that bad? It's never going to beat something like CSI, and the Bachelor is a totally different demographic. I actually think NBC will stick with it.

koam

Fox is cancelling K-Ville and Nashville.

BigShots might get canned too, sucks, i liked it.

Pushing Daisies better stay.

ruffles

I go to zap2it.com for ratings

Fast National ratings for Monday, Oct. 8, 2007

ABC danced off with another ratings win Monday, easily taking the night thanks to its celebrity hoofers.

For the night, ABC averaged a 9.8 rating/15 share, easily topping CBS' 7.4/11. NBC was a good ways back in third at 5.1/8. FOX, 3.9/6, came in fourth, and The CW trailed with a 1.6/2.

ABC also led among adults 18-49, scoring a 4.1 rating in the advertisers' favorite demographic. CBS, 3.9, was a close second, followed by NBC at 3.5. FOX averaged 2.5 and The CW 1.1.

"Dancing with the Stars" dominated the 8 p.m. hour for ABC, drawing a 12.3/19. CBS was the best of the rest with "How I Met Your Mother," 5.2/8, and "The Big Bang Theory," 5.3/8. NBC's "Chuck" finished third in households at 4.5/7, but FOX's "Prison Break," 4.4/7, had a few more viewers. The CW went with "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Aliens in America."

"Dancing" and "The Bachelor" combined for a 10.9/16 at 9 p.m., keeping ABC comfortably in the lead. CBS remained in second with "Two and a Half Men," 8.1/12, and "Rules of Engagement," 6.8/10. NBC's "Heroes" took a hit, drawing only a 6.4/9. FOX's "K-Ville" came in fourth. "Girlfriends," 1.6/2, and "The Game," 1.9/3, closed out the night for The CW.

CBS took over at 10 p.m. with "CSI: Miami," 9.5/15. "The Bachelor" earned a 6.1/10 for ABC, and "Journeyman" posted a 4.5/7 for NBC.

Meanwhile, ABC finished first for the night among 18-49s with a 4.1 average overnight rating and a 10 share. CBS was second at 3.9/10, NBC third at 3.5/9, Fox fourth at 2.5/6, Univision fifth at 1.6/4 and CW sixth at 1.1/3.

Ah, theyre finally including Univision with the english channels. Now direct comparisons can be made

CBS was third with a 4.1 average for “Two and a Half Men” (4.4) and “Rules of Engagement” (3.8), Univision fourth with a 2.1 for “Destilando Amor,” Fox fifth with a 2.0 for “K-Ville” and CW sixth with a 1.3 average for “Girlfriends” (1.2) and “The Game” (1.4), which built on its lead-in for the second straight week.

Oh shit spanish soap operas are beating fox shows. I didn't like K-ville though. I watched the pilot, but it didn't do anything for me so I stopped watching...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Shame... I liked Journeyman, but I have a feeling it's going to get canned. NBC is losing viewership, and I think a lot of that has to do with Heroes continuining to suck ass and the audience waking up and realizing it.

SuperPac

I hope Journeyman's not canned too quick. I'd like to at least get a full season out of it. I am a sucker for time-travel shows and this one's pretty good. Besides, NBC has a lot of one-hour shows and more Deal or No Deal can't replace 'em all.

Memles

I think the big issue here is what networks have a show they can just move into a new position and replace with something else. Otherwise, they're not going to start canceling shows too quickly.

ABC can cancel Big Shots or Pushing Daisies before Christmas easy: they've got October Road and Eli Stone on deck. Same goes for FOX: New Amsterdam is just sitting around on hold, and can be placed anywhere should they want to cancel K-Ville. CBS also has seven episodes of Jericho just kicking around.

But NBC...doesn't have much. And personally, I think Chuck's numbers are pretty decent even with a bit of a rough time with 18-49 numbers. It has no lead-in, and is pulling in more viewers than Journeyman that has the Heroes lead-in.

The CW, meanwhile, has given a full season order to Gossip Girl, despite its lackluster performance, so there are certainly differing standards of success.

Oda

It's great to see How I Met Your Mother doing so well. Easily the most underrated comedy on TV right now, and probably in the last few years. Last I can remember close to that was Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place.

Oda said:
It's great to see How I Met Your Mother doing so well. Easily the most underrated comedy on TV right now, and probably in the last few years. Last I can remember close to that was Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place.

I think it's the best standard sitcom (complete with laugh track) on TV, but it's still far behind The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/cavemen_ratings_devolve_in_sec.php

'Cavemen' Ratings Devolve in Second Week
They came, they saw, and nearly a third didn’t come back.

That’s the ratings story for ABC’s “Cavemen” so far, with the show’s 18-to-49 tally dropping 29 percent to a 2.5 in its second week. High viewer curiosity from the unique sitcom concept based on the popular Geico commercials likely fueled initial tune-in, but how many viewers would stick around after getting a gander at the show was always a key question. “Cavemen” companion “Carpoolers” fared better—dropping 20 percent to a 2.8.

Fox easily won the night with “Bones” (3.1) and “House” (7.3) improving slightly this week.

NBC was second with “The Singing Bee” (2.1) followed by “The Biggest Loser” (2.7) and the highest-rated “Law & Order: SVU” since February (4.9).

ABC was third with its aforementioned comedies, “Dancing With the Stars” results show (4.0) and “Boston Legal” (2.8).

Coming in fourth place, CBS was down slightly this week with “NCIS” (3.4), “The Unit” (3.0) and “Cane” (2.3, falling for the third week in a row).

The CW had another night of modest third-week gains, with “Beauty and the Geek” up a notch this week in the demo (1.5) and adults 18 to 34 (1.7). “Reaper” stabilized in the demo (1.3) and was up slightly in 18 to 34 (1.4).

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973856.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

ABC's seemingly risky tactic of starting from scratch on Wednesdays is paying off pretty well, with "Private Practice" asserting itself as the fall's hottest rookie and "Pushing Daisies" continuing to show promise despite a falloff from its premiere.
Third leg of the Alphabet's all-new night, "Dirty Sexy Money," is hanging in there at 10, as is NBC's 9 o'clock newcomer "Bionic Woman." Not looking so hot on a busy night for first-year shows is CBS reality entry "Kid Nation," which has lost 1 share point each week since its preem, and Fox comedy "Back to You," which also continued to decline in its fourth week.

Also carving out solid auds are three nonscripted skeins: "Deal or No Deal" on NBC, "America's Next Top Model" on the CW and the new "Kitchen Nightmares" on Fox.

According to Nielsen's "live plus same-day" DVR playback estimates for Wednesday, ABC's "Private Practice" (4.9 rating/13 share in adults 18-49, 12.42 million viewers overall) was up 9% in the demo week to week and won its hour by 3 shares over CBS' "Criminal Minds" (3.9/10 in 18-49, 14.55m) and NBC's "Bionic Woman" (3.9/10, 10.28m), with the latter easing by just 5% week to week after suffering a significant decline from episode one to two.

In an hour in which all three nets could be pleased with their drama performers, "Practice" is the decisive leader in 18-34 with a series-best 5.0/14; "Bionic" ruled in all male demos; and "Criminal" was just a tick out of the 25-54 lead behind "Private" and stood as the night's most-watched program overall.

Also in the time period, Fox's "Kitchen Nightmares" (3.0/8 in 18-49, 6.37m) was up for a second straight week, and CW's "Gossip Girl" (1.3/3 in 18-49, 2.80m) was roughly flat, placing second in femmes 12-34 (3.1/8).

Opening the night, the second episode of ABC's "Pushing Daisies" (3.7/11 in 18-49, 10.26m) was down 14% from its strong premiere, winning in all key ratings categories; it held up best among younger viewers, retaining 94% of its premiere-week 18-34 aud.

NBC's "Deal or No Deal" moved up to second (3.1/9 in 18-49, 12.58m) with the net's best delivery in the time period since last December. CW's "America's Next Top Model" also shined (2.5/7, 5.37m), placing second in 18-34 (rising 12% to 2.9/9) and first in persons 12-34 (3.0/10).

Heading in the other direction was CBS' "Kid Nation" (2.1/6 in 18-49, 6.91m), which finished fifth in the time period among young adults. With "Jericho" on the bench for midseason, the Eye must at least be considering a shift that would return the back-from-the-dead drama to its old timeslot.

Fox's "Back to You" (2.3/7 in 18-49, 6.62m) was down a tick week to week and placed third in 18-49.

At 10 o'clock, CBS' "CSI: NY" (4.1/11 in 18-49, 13.43m) hit a season high and opened up a wider gap on its rookie drama competish, as both ABC's "Dirty Sexy Money" (3.3/9, 8.64m) and NBC's "Life" (2.7/8 in 18-49, 8.1 million viewers overall) were down a bit vs. their second episodes.

ABC won the night in 18-49, 25-54 and 12-34 while CBS won in total viewers.

Ripclawe

Banned
NBC monday night lineup is getting worse

http://www.variety.com/VR1117974549.html

According to preliminary nationals from Nielsen, "Dancing With the Stars" was the No. 1 show of the night in both adults 18-49 (5.3 rating/13 share) and total viewers (21.1 million), bouncing back after a below-average delivery the previous week. "Samantha Who" followed at about 9:30 p.m. with a 4.6/10 in 18-49, 14.4 million viewers overall -- about what it delivered with its premiere. The Christina Applegate starrer ran second in its timeslot in 18-49 and first in total viewers. "The Bachelor" (3.4/8 in 18-49, 9.2 million viewers overall) finished out the night for the Alphabet.

At CBS, "How I Met Your Mother" (3.4/9 in 18-49, 8.6 million viewers overall) and "Big Bang Theory" (3.5/9 in 18-49, 8.7 million viewers overall) were up week to week to claim second place to "Dancing" for the 8 o'clock hour. "Two and a Half Men" (4.8/11 in 18-49, 12.7 million viewers overall) and "CSI: Miami" (4.5/11 in 18-49, 15.5 million viewers overall) again drew the net's top numbers, while "Rules of Engagement" (3.9/9 in 18-49, 10.8 million viewers overall) continues to perform OK between them at 9:30.

NBC's drama lineup was looking a bit shaky as anchor "Heroes" hit a series low at 9 (4.9/11 in 18-49, 10.7 million viewers overall) even though it won its second half-hour in 18-49. "Journeyman" fell to a low as well at 10 (2.5/6 in 18-49, 6.3 million viewers overall), while "Chuck" roughly matched its lowest score to date kicking off the night (2.8/7 in 18-49, 7.1 million viewers overall).

Fox's "Prison Break" (3.0/8 in 18-49, 7.4 million viewers overall) was on the low end of its range after a one-week preemption for baseball, and "K-ville" remains a modest performer at 9 (2.0/5 in 18-49, 6.1 million viewers overall), in line with its recent performances.

Preliminary 18-49 averages for the night: ABC, 4.6/11; CBS, 4.1/10; NBC, 3.4/8; Fox, 2.5/6; Univision, 1.8/5; CW, 1.0/2.

In total viewers: ABC, 16.0 million; CBS, 12.1 million; NBC, 8.0 million; Fox, 6.8 million; Univision, 4.3 million; CW, 2.4 million.

Okay because I'm too stupid and lazy I wont fuck around with these numbers. I'm going to make a list of the shows I like, and you just tell me if its doing good, bad or probably going to get canceled.

Reaper
CSI: Miami
Everybody Hates Chris
Pushing Daisies
The Game(Humor Me)
Chuck
Gossip Girl(Humor Me)

Journyman is kinda getting stale for me. I know a coworker has lost interest in it and my wife also seems to be less interested in watching lately too. I liked it a lot initially but I'm now finding that I'm forcing myself to watch it rather than anticipating it.

On another note, WTF??? WTF?????? Big Bang Theory has higher ratings than How I Met Your Mother? How the hell did that happen????

Memles

Reaper - Struggling both creatively and ratings-wise against House
CSI: Miami - Still strong
Everybody Hates Chris - Struggling, but no more than last year.
Pushing Daisies - Full Season Order already in place.
The Game(Humor Me) - Growing out of its lead-in, in good shape.
Chuck - Received a script order, has a decent chance
Gossip Girl(Humor Me) - Received a surprising full season order.

Marty Chinn said:
On another note, WTF??? WTF?????? Big Bang Theory has higher ratings than How I Met Your Mother? How the hell did that happen????
Both shows are equally awesome, but I don't now how Big Bang beat it out either. I hope Big Bang comes back for a second season, it is the best new comedy show this season and perfectly compliments How I Met Your Mother.

Illuminati said:
Both shows are equally awesome, but I don't now how Big Bang beat it out either. I hope Big Bang comes back for a second season, it is the best new comedy show this season and perfectly compliments How I Met Your Mother.

Are you kidding me? Big Bang is terrible. I tried watching it up until this week. It wasn't funny most of the time and some of the characters were down right annoying rather than amusing. It certainly had it's moments but that was only when Kaley Cucuo was in the scene. Otherwise it wasn't good at all. How I Met Your Mother on the otherhand continues to be great. Best new comedy of the season? I think you need to check out shows like Samantha Who and heck even Carpoolers is better.

How's 'Back to You' doing? I love Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, but the writing for that show has stunk so far. Yet, I still hope that they'll somehow tap into the potential with those two actors. Has the potential to be great.

medrew

Didn't you hear? It got picked up for a 22 ep season. So all is good unless they go all Wonderfalls on us and decide not to air the last ~9 eps that they film.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Only new network show I care about is Life. That one needs to stick around. If only NBC had marketed it at all there'd be no question.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/house_returns_abc_comedies_dro.php

Fox’s “House” returned Tuesday night as strong as ever, putting pressure on competitors in the 9 p.m. hour with a rating that nearly matched its season premiere. ABC’s freshman comedies “Cavemen” and “Carpoolers,” along with CBS’ “Cane,” continued to suffer defections.

Winning the night, Fox had “Bones” (an on-par 3.1 rating among adults 18 to 49 in the preliminary Nielsens) and “House” (7.6, up a couple notches from its last airing Oct. 9).

NBC was second with “The Singing Bee” (an average 2.3), a 90-minute “The Biggest Loser” (a 3.0, up slightly from last week’s hourlong episode) and “Law & Order: SVU” (down a tick, but winning the 10 p.m. hour with a 4.7).

In third place, ABC’s “Cavemen” (2.2, down 21 percent) and “Carpoolers” (2.4, down 11 percent) endured ratings declines.

“Carpoolers” has been an ABC dark horse this season, surprising observers by keeping pace with, and sometimes slightly outperforming, the heavily hyped “Cavemen.” Yesterday ABC ordered a few more “Carpoolers” scripts, demonstrating some interest in keeping the show around. But the “Carpoolers” rating has been padlocked to its lead-in, and it’s unclear if the show has its own following or simply represents “Cavemen” viewers waiting around for “Dancing With the Stars” (an even 4.4). At 10 p.m., ABC had a “20/20” special on the California wildfires (2.8).

CBS was fourth, winning the 8 p.m. hour with “NCIS” (dropping 10 percent from last week’s bump to a 3.7) and “The Unit” (slumping 14 percent to a 3.0 now that the show has a full season order). At 10 p.m., “Cane” continues to drop each week (down 9 percent to a 2.0).

The CW’s “Beauty and the Geek” was down slightly (1.6), while “Reaper” lost last week’s bump to return to its prior average (1.2), but maintained last week’s gain in The CW’s 18 to 34 demo (1.7).

Burn Off: DVRs Boost 'Reaper'; California Fires Halt Shows
More DVR data floating around. Comparing Live-Plus-Same day to Live-Plus-Seven for the second week of the season, the networks tend to receive overall similar boosts from the added viewing, ranging from 16 percent (Fox) to 19 percent (The CW).

Show by show, NBC touted five of the seven most-boosted shows, with “The Office” (up 19 percent), “Las Vegas” (up 18 percent), “Bionic Woman” (up 17 percent), “Friday Night Lights” (up 15 percent) and “Heroes” (up 15 percent). The CW also picked up some bragging rights, with “Gossip Girl” (up 15 percent) and, ranking as the biggest overall gainer of the week, “Reaper” (up a steep 27 percent).

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
ParticleReality said:
God I hope Reaper can keep it going. It's such a damn good show.

Same here, but it's almost more painfully formulaic than House. But instead of a protagonist who's pleasantly sardonic and vitriolic you have a whiny vag.

ParticleReality said:
God I hope Reaper can keep it going. It's such a damn good show.
I'm helping prop up the DVR numbers!
Stoney Mason said:
He's fine with drama when he has good writing on a non-shitty show ala the Shield.
True. He's been quite good on the Shield.

Memles

Ripclawe said:
Back to You(FOX) gets a full season and "Samantha Who?"(ABC) gets 6 more script orders pretty much a full season.

I'm surprised Fox is being that nice with Back To You, it's floundering, but I figure they're hoping star power pushes it over the top.

As for Samantha Who?, its test will be whether or not it survives once it loses its Dancing with the Stars lead-in.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Journeyman
It's not that Journeyman is 'too confusing.' it's that we've already seen it before when it starred a much better lead (Scott Bakula), had a much better sidekick (Al), a better timeslot (Weds @ 9:00), and altogether better writing. The wife in this fucking series is so hard to look at. She's almost pretty, like a skinny chick with a philly cheese steak hangin down there. The brit lead is completing uninspiring.

I love the theme song, but this is a perfect example of horrible casting and a bored lead-in audience simply wrecking an otherwise acceptable show. No chemistry, no cohesiveness, and way too much to explain. There's nothing to keep me coming back.

Heroes
This better get better, and quick.

I don't watch anything else on this network, except for Football Night in America, and that's a fuckin chore.

titiklabingapat said:
I only really care for Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money.

PD got full-season.
DSG is still un-certain. A full season pick-up was in order if last night's ratings were good.

9/26/07 premiere Viewers: 10.42 million (#2), A18-49: 3.6/10 (#3)

10/3/07 2nd for 10pm was week two of ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money (Viewers: 9.73 million; A18-49: 3.6/10

10/10/07 2nd for 10pm was ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money (Viewers: 8.86 million; A18-49: 3.4/ 9)

10/17/07 2nd for 10pm was ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money (Viewers: 8.83 million; A18-49: 3.1/ 9),

10/24/07 2nd for 10pm was ABC's Dirty Sexy Money (Viewers: 8.56 million; A18-49: #3, 3.2/6),

Ripclawe

Banned
CW ordered 3 more scripts for Reaper which is good.

The CW’s Reaper and Aliens in America look to be the next two shows in line to get full-season pickups.

The network ordered three additional scripts of Reaper, an hour-long comedy about a guy forced to become a demon bounty hunter after his parents sold his soul to the devil, and it is about to order more scripts for Aliens, a comedy about an exchange student who becomes the best and only friend of his lonely loser high-school housemate.

The CW already gave Gossip Girl a full season pick-up, while it dropped Online Nation, joining CBS’ Viva Laughlin and Fox’s Nashville on this season’s cancellation heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom