• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008: Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4?

Gears of War 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4?

• Total voters

begotten

Gears 2

The game had legs. Great campaign, tons of other modes (upgraded Horde, co-op campaign). Also, back in 2008 it had a healthy and lively multiplayer community with supported DLC (new maps, etc).

Haha, Gears 1 didn't even have Horde and had 2 player Co-Op campaign.

Also you mustn't have played much Gears 1 or Gears 2 MP (at least seriously) because Gears 2 MP was broken on launch for a long time (Remember smokes? Of course you don't) and competitive players hated the game compared to 1.

All the DLC maps were garbage except for the ones they brought from 1.

If you haven't played MGS4 at least pretend you have a clue about what Gears 2 was like back in the day.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I was a big MGS fan back then and had replayed MGS1, 2 and 3 countless times. I really dislike MGS4 and it'd by far the worst MGS I've played. I kind of enjoyed the first 2 Acts and then after that the classic MGS gameplay disappears almost entirely. Trash game that I've tried to replay, but never managed to stomach the gameplay after Act 2. I did enjoy the multiplayer though.

Gears 2 is easily the better game and really fun to play solo or with a friend. Great replay value here and even better on Series consoles.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I played one hour of MGS4 and gave up. It just didn't click with me.
Gears 2 is not a great game. But it's better than MSG4.

Flutta

Banned
At least choose a better gif for MGS4 OP.. it’s not like that game has a shortage of good gifs smh.

Also MGS4 and it’s not even close, even tho i enjoyed Gears 2 alot.

ungalo

Already disappointed by MGS3 but MGS4 was the last nail in the coffin of my relationship with Kojima, despite having qualities of course. I remember buying a 360 quickly after.

So Gears 2.

Solidus_T

Gears 2 is a great game. I had a fun time playing it back in the day.

That being said, it isn't even coming close to MGS4. When I got that game, my PS3 was running it for almost 30 hours straight. Also MGO2 is arguably the best version and still has a nice following today.

RAIDEN1

Metal Gear 4 easily....and to think it is the last great Metal Gear game...(outside of P.W) and to this day remains a PS3 exclusive, if it weren't for that game I might never have brought my first ever Playstation (the PS3) that game was the system seller for me..

jaysius

Banned
Someone take away OP's posting rights, he makes those shitty GOTY Apples vs Oranges polls and now he's hungry for post count so he's randomly making them now.

These 2 games are completely different.

DrMano

Neo Member
Gears of war all the way.
Its one of the few franchises that has been consistent in quality in all its releases (Yes, that includes Judgement).

MGS had a better story though

bender

What time is it?
bruh you missed some very key 2008 titles, namely GTA IV and Fallout 3.
cat-cat-puking.gif

Roberts

I could never rank Gears 2 (or any Gears game for that matter) higher than 8/10 and yet it's still more fun than MGS4.

I have to choose Gears 2. I have played through it 3 times in Co-op, and would play again if I had a friend who wanted to. It took everything good about Gears 1, refined it, and built on it.

I loved my playthrough of MGS4, but I have no desire to go back and play it again.

Kuranghi

PSA: You know you can do this thing in games, its called... skipping cutscenes. Then you can enjoy the gameplay you so crave instead of being bored by the cutscenes.

MGS 4 is fucking amazing, I was so invested in the conclusion of the characters stories though, so that helps. So many awesome moments in that game, capped off by one of the coolest boss fights in gaming history.

Mgs4 is probably the worst entry in the series but it had MGO so I'm going to have to go with Mgs4 here.

You had ninjas in there who would incapacitate you, drag you into a dark corner, and spend the entire round toying with you. It was unreal 😭

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
MGS wins. Gears of War is fun but it is also very compensatory, if you know what I mean..

Top Bottom