• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 US Presidential Primaries -- Delegation tally thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hootie said:
Being interviewed.

On what?

On another note, tomorrow is going to be pretty crazy with the delegation allocations. The only thing really guarenteed is that Gravel isn't getting any :lol (poor Gravel :( )

From David Plouffe (trying to set expectations):

Our path to the nomination never factored in a big day for us on February 5. Rather, we always planned to stay close enough in the delegate count so that we could proceed to individually focus on the states in the next set of contests.

We fully expect Senator Clinton to earn more delegates on February 5th and also to win more states. If we were to be within 100 delegates on that day and win a number of states, we will have met our threshold for success and will be best positioned to win the nomination in the coming months.

http://thepage.time.com/obama-camps-super-tuesday-expectations-memo/

grandjedi6

UPDATE:

-- Huckabee has won 18 delegates from the West Virginia Convention. He now has a total of 47 delegates!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Subarushian said:

Guys, let this sink in. Obama campaign said they needed to be within 100 delegates for the day yesterday. They really needed to be within 75 by most peoples estimation. Instead, they gained delegates yesterday. Probably about 10-15 once the dust settles. This is HUGE. Absolutely HUGE. He is gaining ground on Hillary's super delegate count, and yesterday assured super delegates are going to stay unpledged for a while longer.

Obama should have a very good week through the beltway primary next tuesday. If he can win 5-6 out of the 7 he will take the overall lead including superdelegates, and have a giant momentum and money advantage... if he can take all 7, it could be a knockout blow to Clinton.

Yesterday was a huge success for Obama.

grandjedi6

Tommie Hu$tle said:
grandjedi6 are we gonnas get some some update love?

Soon. I have most of the data. I'm just waiting for Georgia Republicans and Colorado Democrats to release their data. They are so slow :/

It should come in by tomorrow though.

grandjedi6

Sorry for the late update. Some state's super tuesday data was delayed and then I was out for the last 2 days.

Post-Super Tuesday/Feb. 9th Primary/Caucus Madness Update

-please note: not all Super Tuesday data is yet complete. Thus, some delegates may be added later to each candidate's total

Democrats
-Obama now has a total of 1116 delegates and Hillary has 1144. The gap between the two is only 28 delegates now.

-Hillary has gained 24 superdelegates for a total of 224
-Obama has gained 28 superdelegates for a total of 135

-Hillary has gained 872 pledged delegates for a total of 920 delegates
-Obama has gained 918 pledged delegates for a total of 981 delegates

Republicans
-McCain has gained 620 delegates for a total of 723 delegates
-Romney has gained 211 delegates for a total of 280 delegates
-Huckabee has gained 197 delegates for a total of 244 delegates
-Ron Paul has gained 10 delegates for a total of 19 delegates

-McCain is essentially the Republican nominee
-Romney drops out!

Note
-I'll update the list again with Maine's results later tonight or tomorrow

grandjedi6

jamesinclair said:
Are you including the 3 delegates ron paul got in west virginia?

If not, thats -3 Hucks, +3 ron paul.

West Virginia is winner take all, so Huckabee got all 18. Either Ron Paul is living in dream land or his campaign managers failed politics 101, because he doesn't have anywhere near the delegates he claims to have

Tamanon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
West Virginia is winner take all, so Huckabee got all 18. Either Ron Paul is living in dream land or his campaign managers failed politics 101, because he doesn't have anywhere near the delegates he claims to have

No, actually Huckabee's camp pledged 3 of the delegates to Ron Paul in order to secure the win. So while they're technically Huckabee's to pick, they're Paul supporters.

grandjedi6

Tamanon said:
No, actually Huckabee's camp pledged 3 of the delegates to Ron Paul in order to secure the win. So while they're technically Huckabee's to pick, they're Paul supporters.

Sadly for Paul, state party rules have the 18 delegates pledged to the majority winner. So even though Huckabee apparently pledged some to Ron Paul, they really weren't his to give out. The West Virginia Republican Party even reported the results as 18 for Huckabee. I think Ron Paul got screwed over in this one.

grandjedi6 said:
Sadly for Paul, state party rules have the 18 delegates pledged to the majority winner. So even though Huckabee apparently pledged some to Ron Paul, they really weren't his to give out. The West Virginia Republican Party even reported the results as 18 for Huckabee. I think Ron Paul got screwed over in this one.

At the convention, those three will be sitting in Pauls section. Ignore them if you insist.

grandjedi6

jamesinclair said:
Also, youre missing info on the republican virgin islands, guam and marina islands things. I think each one had 3 delegates.

Nope. They all have 6 at-large delegates and 3 unpledged party leaders, for a total of 9 delegates.

grandjedi6

There are now only 795 Superdelegates do to the unfortunate death of Tom Lantos. Congressman Lantos had previously endorsed Hillary Clinton.

grandjedi6 said:
There are now only 795 Superdelegates do to the unfortunate death of Tom Lantos. Congressman Lantos had previously endorsed Hillary Clinton.

RIP, sad to hear. Better not see any inappropriate comments about this.

Xisiqomelir

grandjedi6 said:

Isn't there going to be a by-election?

Tamanon

Banned
maynerd said:
Wait a sec his super delegates just get thrown out? Wouldn't they be reallocated to his replacement?

That's a good point. Because, didn't an Obama supporter die earlier and his replacement was a Clinton supporter?

grandjedi6

maynerd said:
Wait a sec his super delegates just get thrown out? Wouldn't they be reallocated to his replacement?
Xisiqomelir said:
Isn't there going to be a by-election?

If and when an election or appointment occurs (I'm not sure on California's law regarding it), then whoever succeeded him would become a superdelegate IF they were a democrat. But until then the superdelegate count is down to 795.

Actually the same thing would happen if any DNC member tried moving to Florida or Michigan, they would immediately be invalidated.

Tamanon

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
An Obama superdelegate stepped down and was replaced by a Clinton supporter, so Obama effectively lost a delegate to Clinton.

That was it. I knew he lost one some way.

Chrono

Banned
OK so I'm not american and have no idea how your system works, but can someone just tell me when are we going to find out if it's going to be obama vs. mccain or hillary vs. maccain?

I know the final election is november but what are other important dates to look out for? Thanks.

grandjedi6

Chrono said:
OK so I'm not american and have no idea how your system works, but can someone just tell me when are we going to find out if it's going to be obama vs. mccain or hillary vs. maccain?

I know the final election is november but what are other important dates to look out for? Thanks.

Either:
1.)When Hillary or Obama gain a sizable advantage or one surrender
2.)or the DNC convention in August

Tamanon

Banned
Chrono said:

Theoretically, the DNC will meet in August to elect the nominee. But we should have an answer by next month I'm guessing.

BobLoblaw

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Either:
1.)When Hillary or Obama gain a sizable advantage or one surrender
2.)or the DNC convention in August

I think Howard Dean or some other top ranking Democrat said a decision will likely be made at some point in April. They can't wait until the DNC to announce a candidate. They'll have to spend a few months raising money, campaigning, etc. August is way too close to November.

grandjedi6

BobLoblaw said:
I think Howard Dean or some other top ranking Democrat said a decision will likely be made at some point in April. They can't wait until the DNC to announce a candidate. They'll have to spend a few months raising money, campaigning, etc. August is way too close to November.

Dean desperately wants a decision by April. But I'm not sure Dean even has enough power to force a compromise

grandjedi6

Post-Potomac Primary Update!

-Obama pulls ahead and becomes #1!
-Hillary and Obama continue to gain Superdelegates at a similar rate
-McCain increases his lead by over 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom