• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010: The Year of the RPG

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pureauthor said:
Nice thread, ethelred.

But has there been any indication whatsoever that 7th Dragon is coming over?
Tiktaalik said:
Does 7th Dragon really have a chance of coming out here? We haven't heard a peep about it and it doesn't seem likely to me... :(
lorddarkflare said:
Do we yet have proof that Shining Force: Feather is coming?
I'd say we still have a little time before we need to start worrying:

Code:
                        [B]Japanese Release[/B]   [B]English Announcement[/B]    [B]English Release[/B]
[I]Sands of Destruction[/I]:   September 2008     December 2008           January 2010
[I]Phantasy Star Zero[/I]:     December 2008      January 2009            November 2009
[I]Infinite Space[/I]:         June 2009          July 2009               "Spring 2010"

[I]Shining Force Feather[/I]:  February 2009      ???                     ???
[I]7th Dragon[/I]:             March 2009         ???                     ???

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I see too many people crying about having no WRPGs or these games not being on console. I'm somewhat thankful that a lot of these games are heading to handhelds. I rarely have time to play console RPGs these days. It seems that the last great RPG of this year will be Dragon Age and there's possibly no better game to lead into 2010 than that.

Zefah said:
Considering I live in Japan and lots of the stuff in your post is already out or is coming out this year and the fact that Dragon Age has been my most anticipated RPG in recent memory, I have to say that 2009 easily beats 2010 as "Year of the RPG".
I understand that there are people living in Japan who post on GAF as well as people who import games from Japan specifically, but considering that this forum is primarily for an English-speaking audience then I can see a reason for this thread.

Toy Soldier said:
Is it safe to assume we'll be getting 3D Dot Game Heroes stateside by next year? I know no publisher is confirmed yet, but it's gotta be inevitable. That tops my list.

Yes, it should be safe to say. Someone just posted in the 3D Dot Game Heroes thread that the game has been picked up by someone and its possible that we'll see an announcement about that by the end of the year. I'm hoping that it's Atlus.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ruuppa said:
Awesome OP.

This.

I may have to get back into portable gaming *AND* jrpgs next year.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
year of the j-rpg + mass effect 2, you mean.

i can't wait to play so many of those. i wish ys chronicles for the psp was being translated since it looks so brilliant, but i guess that ain't happening.

gibonez

Banned
wow so many great rpgs combine that with all the amazing other games in other genres and you have the best gaming year ever. 2010 might be the best gaming year ever :)

SolidSnakex said:
Yes, it should be safe to say. Someone just posted in the 3D Dot Game Heroes thread that the game has been picked up by someone and its possible that we'll see an announcement about that by the end of the year. I'm hoping that it's Atlus.

Excellent news, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the heads up.

Agreed regarding Atlus being a best-case-scenario: barring some disastrous unexpected game flaw, count me in for a good ol' fashioned Atlus collectors' edition on this one.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Whoa, Infinite Space already came out in Japan? And it was developed by. . . NudeMaker?

I must be getting old, because both of these facts managed to blindside me.

Buying:
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Gaiden
Mass Effect 2
Ninokuni
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Valkyria 2
Pokemon SoulSilver
Last Ranker & Persona 3 Portable - Marina Inoue :heartbeat
+ Phantasy Star Portable 2
+ Blue Dragon DS if it comes out

Maybe:
Resonance of Fate
Alpha Protocol
Golden Sun 3
Dragon Quest VI
7th Dragon
Ar Tonelico 3
Infinite Space
Fable 3 - after a price drop or two
White Knight - once it's cheap
+ Sakura Taisen Wii

2010 is pretty stacked across the board, so I wouldn't be surprised if I skipped most of my 'maybe' list for the time being.

lupinko

Oh for fuck's sake, for the last time it's VALKYRIA.

And any localized name for it should be Valkyria Chronicles.

CiSTM

Banned
From all those titles Infinite Space is my most wanted game by a mile. 7th Dragon seems kinda fun too and it has cute art style so I will give it a chance if it ever comes around. Still don't get the hype around Alpha protocol.

BTW does Diablo III count as an RPG ? I know it is more of a Hack 'n' Slash but it does have fair amount of RPG elments too.

edit: Also some notable games that weren't mentioned in OP. Guild Wars 2, Drakensang: The River of Time, Torchlight (Mythos BITCHES !!!), Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mount & Blade: Warband and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nuclear Muffin said:
That's a great list but the best game of that lot (Golden Sun 3) will not get released in 2010 outside Japan, not a chance.
Why? The fact that it got announced by NOA at E3 is pretty good evidence that it will.

Solo

Mass Effect is currently my game of the gen. Heres hoping that Mass Effect 2 can usurp the title.

After ME2, Ill be getting Alpha Protocal and Fallout: New Vegas to round out my 2010 RPG purchases. FFXIII is a distance chance, but Ill be waiting on many reviews first.

zoukka

There are many interesting titles in the OP, but I'm afraid I'll skip most of them just because.

Haven't finished any of the DQ DS remakes. The games are just too simple and easy. I'm in the dragon tower (DQV) and haven't used abilities outside healing and resurrecting. Just spamming fight wins every encounter in this game.

I like SMT games, but haven't finished any of them. I just find the dungeons too boring. Though I think I would've cleared Nocturne if I didn't lose my copy. Persona games make me sick.

And Final Fantasy XIII. I'll buy it, try it and well... if the gameplay and exploration are there I might finish it. The story and characters seem really bad so far but what can you expect? The visuals are a strange mix of incredible tech and horrible art.

Mass Effect 2 seems the best game out of those. I just hope it goes mutliplat so I can play it.

Almak

CiSTM said:
From all those titles Infinite Space is my most wanted game by a mile. 7th Dragon seems kinda fun too and it has cute art style so I will give it a chance if it ever comes around. Still don't get the hype around Obsidian Order.

BTW does Diablo III count as an RPG ? I know it is more of a Hack 'n' Slash but it does have fair amount of RPG elments too.

edit: Also some notable games that weren't mentioned in OP. Guild Wars 2, Drakensang: The River of Time, Torchlight (Mythos BITCHES !!!), Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mount & Blade: Warband and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
I think Diablo 3 is absolutely an RPG. Hack and slash is more of a sub genre. Torchlight is coming out next week though. Unless you're referring to the MMO.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yaceka said:
This thread needs Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii). :(
Because it's not really a RPG? It hasn't looked good since its playable debut at TGS 08 either.

Bebpo said:
Aren't you missing that one 3d N1 game for PS3 that looks like a PS2 game?
You mean the Hit Maker game? Last Rebellion? After their last 3 RPGs is there any reason to think it'll be good? I do think Sakura Wars should be up there though, NISA seems to be going all out for the PS2 version. He also left out a lot of DS games, I'm surprised SaGa 2 isn't there.

It's a great OP though, pretty much highlights all the biggest games and a few niche ones.

Aru said:
The title should have been: year of the handheld JRPG :p

I'm hyped !
Not really, even if handhelds still have the JRPG spotlight next year it'll finally be a decent year for home consoles too.

CiSTM

Banned
Almak said:
I think Diablo 3 is absolutely an RPG. Hack and slash is more of a sub genre. Torchlight is coming out next week though. Unless you're referring to the MMO.

Torchlight is only two days away O_O ? I really thought it would have been 2010 title. Well I guess I will be playing it next week. I really love the art direction of the game. Do you know if there is going to be retail version of the game ? I already made my pre-order from steam but I really would like to have retail copy too.

Almak

CiSTM said:
Torchlight is only two days away O_O ? I really thought it would have been 2010 title. Well I guess I will be playing it next week. I really love the art direction of the game. Do you know if there is going to be retail version of the game ? I already made my pre-order from steam but I really would like to have retail copy too.
The wiki page for the game has CD/DVD under "to be released later" as well as it's Mac OSX release.

As sure as the sky is blue:

Pokemon Soul Silver
Alpha Protocol
Resonance of Fate
Golden Sun 3
Persona 3 Portable

Some interest

Star Ocean 4 International pimping version
White Knight Chronicles
Dragon Quest IX
SMT: Strange Journey
Arc Rise Fantasia

With all these RPGs coming through, it'll be interesting to see which brings more to the genre. With time permitting and what not I doubt I'll deviate from my first list at all

Disguises

No monster hunter 3? Started getting into freedom unite and can't wait to properly control the camera! Also can't wait for golden sun 3. <3 golden sun

vall03

I just wish that a certain company out there localizes that PS3 port and their new Wii game. Goddammit!

Other than that, very solid RPG line-up especially for the DS and PSP and I cant wait for them. Jrpg fans will surely enjoy 2010.

sld

I went in to this thread thinking "2010 year of the RPG? Yeah right..." ... Now I'm exiting with a large smile and about 10 or so new games to look forward too. Thanks ethelred! :D

vall03

MCD said:
lol half the games don't even have a US release date.

while this is a big concern for some if not most of the games listed, there are games on the list that have a very good chance of localization and the only concern would be time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
WANT:
Final Fantasy XIII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Mass Effect 2
Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star

MAYBE:
Resonance of Fate
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Persona 3 Portable.

WAIT FOR INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
Ys 7
Fable 3
The Last Ranker

Phantasy Star Portable 2? Cardboard Senki? Guess Ushiro is looking like 2011 at this rate, but still some big omissions there. Would Monster Hunter 3 (and Portable 3) count or is that Action Adventure....

But yes, looks like Japan has finally got its ass in gear, even if most of it is still portable stuff I dont mind especially with the quality of production behind stuff like KH: Birth by Sleep and Nino Kuni.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Shit Mass Effect 2 is out in January?

Gotta get playing Mass Effect 1 or my Shepard will be weak as in ME2 :D

Good OP too btw.

AniHawk

Awesome thread, ethelred. I admit that my love for RPGs has decreased dramatically since 2003, but next year looks very good indeed.

Must buys:
7th Dragon
Mass Effect 2 (it's hitting in JANUARY?! As in, Bayonetta/NMH2 January!? Good fuck)
Golden Sun 3

May buy:
Alpha Protocol (wasn't interested before but I am now)
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest VI
Final Fantasy XIII (Eeeeehhhh Nomura ehhhhh)

AT3 said:
The only real question is how many bugs they'll bring with it.

Really depends on how many bugs Gust wants to fix within the deadline.

Anyway, looks like a great year for the genre. I haven't bought an RPG since Persona 4, and that was almost a year ago, so seeing so many games in the genre pop up like that is pretty exciting.

EDIT: Wait, I bought Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon this year. Yeah, that was awesome.

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
But has there been any indication whatsoever that 7th Dragon is coming over?
lorddarkflare said:
Do we yet have proof that Shining Force: Feather is coming?

I would wait until some of the localization companies announce more of their 2010 lineup before ruling out releases on either of these two games.

akachan ningen said:
Good, not great. What I'd like is Persona 5 or some other SMT game on PS3.

Well, there is a Shin Megami Tensei game coming out next year, even if it is not for the PS3, so I'd consider that pretty great. I tried to highlight that there's a lot of really high quality RPGs coming out across the board for all different systems, and hopefully the thread doesn't devolve into system wars bs where games only count if they're on a particular individual's chosen console. It's definitely a better year for multiconsole owners.

MidnightScott said:
Pictures of Pokemon Platinum under the HG/SS section...FFS! Try harder you bums!

Same thing.

Grimmy said:
Atelier Rorona?
Sakura Wars?
Last Rebellion?
Phantasy Star Portable 2?

Yeah, I should add Phantasy Star Portable. I wasn't aware people were looking forward to Atelier games, though. The Atelier Iris games weren't that good and I don't remember any GAF interest in the series, but I guess I can add it.

Last Rebellion? Yeah, right.

Is Sakura Wars an RPG? I had always heard these described as pure simulation/strategy games.

Disguises said:
No monster hunter 3?

Pretty sure those aren't really RPGs.

Toy Soldier said:
Is it safe to assume we'll be getting 3D Dot Game Heroes stateside by next year? I know no publisher is confirmed yet, but it's gotta be inevitable. That tops my list.

Isn't that like Zelda? Those aren't RPGs...

Bebpo said:
Aren't you missing that one 3d N1 game for PS3 that looks like a PS2 game?

The game from the makers of Dragoneer's Aria and Witch's Tale? As they say in Office Space, "I wouldn't say I'm missing it, Bob."

APZonerunner said:
Great thread. One large omission: FF14.

Hah. You know, even though it was announced for 2010, I don't think that really registered in my mind just because that's the same year FF13 comes out. But you're right, that's a large omission. I'll get it added.

Fredescu said:
I don't think those necessarily fit the intention of the thread though.

There's no particular intention behind the thread other than to highlight what I feel is an exceptionally strong RPG lineup. I don't do that much PC gaming these days so I've no problems admitting that there are probably releases not on my radar, but I'm happy to add additional stuff.

Yaweee

Awesome thread. There's at least a few things in there I had no idea were coming to the US (like Infinite Space).

In addition to SJ and P3P, there's almost certainly going to be another 1 or 2 Atlus RPGs, with an announcement coming pretty soon. They rarely go more than a month with 0 announced games coming up, and P3P will be out in a week (Trauma games apparently don't count).

Yggdra Unison and Hexyz Force have about a 100% chance of making it to the US, too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
There's no particular intention behind the thread other than to highlight what I feel is an exceptionally strong RPG lineup. I don't do that much PC gaming these days so I've no problems admitting that there are probably releases not on my radar, but I'm happy to add additional stuff.

As it relates to the PC, I would recommend punting on MMOs if only because I think there's a sort of distinct audience for MMOs than offline RPGs. I'd say the key PC RPGs to be aware of for 2010 are:
- Drakensang prequel--the original got a 7.6 from IGN and a 75 on Metacritic
- Mount and Blade expansion pack--the original got an 8 from IGN and a 72 on Metacritic
- King's Bounty expansion pack--the original got an 8.1 from IGN and a 79 on Metacritic, it's tentatively Q4 but realistically I don't expect an English version until 2010.
- Diablo 3, if it is released in 2010.

Good thread mister!

Sure get:
Pokemon HeartGold
Final Fantasy xiii
Golden Sun DS
4 warriors of light <if it gets localized
7th Dragon <will it gets localized?
Shiren 3
Pokemon dungeon WiiWare < not mentioned here :(
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest VI

Maybe:
White Knight
Tales of Grace
Arc Rise Fantasia

The rest:
Meehhh unless they caught my attention at some point

duckroll

Some recommended additions:

- 4 Warriors of Light (DS) <-- It has to be arriving in English, it has to!
- Glory of Heracles (DS) <-- lol, you included WKC so obviously there's no quality bar...
- Star Ocean 4 International (PS3) <-- I know *some* people care!

Top Bottom