• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sam & Max Season 3, I kinda dig the film grain they went with

ibxjAbrEynxpya.png

ibZ6SgFXVPot.png

Blizzard

Banned
Please excuse my lowly low-res CARS pictures from the latest build, but my computer isn't great so I play windowed. These are just shots taken from trying to drive the new tracks:

pcars2012-03-2303-05-r2l3e.jpg

pcars2012-03-2303-10-bdb4g.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Dammit that's just hideous Blizzard :p ( The edge blur / rough edges / window mode effect - Not the game of course )
Really? Which rough edges, if you don't mind me asking? I play with mostly max settings and motion blur turned on high, so that's why the blur is in there. I liked how it looked in some places, but I could see how others don't.

I'm mostly curious about what you mean by "rough edges" and "window mode effect" since I don't know of anything window-mode-specific.

*edit* The two you posted are super blurry, so I'm extra confused. =P

*edit again* If you mean the anti-aliasing around the edges of the tires, for instance, in the first picture, that might be because I was using 4xMSAA and low FXAA. I since then turned off FXAA for hopefully a slight performance boost.

Sethos

Banned
Really? Which rough edges, if you don't mind me asking? I play with mostly max settings and motion blur turned on high, so that's why the blur is in there. I liked how it looked in some places, but I could see how others don't.

I'm mostly curious about what you mean by "rough edges" and "window mode effect" since I don't know of anything window-mode-specific.

*edit* The two you posted are super blurry, so I'm extra confused. =P

Erm, it's all over the place, look at the wheels in the first picture, lots of the distant objects, they are really jaggy. Power lines are also all to hell in those shots.

And it isn't the DoF like I'm using, it looks like a weird smear blur that just covers random objects. Although that's probably my brain struggling to make sense of it with the DoF and all the jaggies, which screws with my depth perspective in the DoF.

EDIT: Could very well be that god-awful FXAA, would explain all the blurring and lack of sharpness.

Blizzard

Banned
Erm, it's all over the place, look at the wheels in the first picture, lots of the distant objects, they are really jaggy. Power lines are also all to hell in those shots.

And it isn't the DoF like I'm using, it looks like a weird smear blur that just covers random objects. Although that's probably my brain struggling to make sense of it with the DoF and all the jaggies, which screws with my depth perspective in the DoF.
The foliage dots are probably because of my low resolution, thanks for indicating which areas.

How are you using depth of field during races? My pictures were all live, not replays/camera pictures so I'm not sure if DoF is only available there or not.

I'm not sure my 5850 can play with 8xMSAA to avoid the power line jaggies. :( Sorry if my shots were too crappy for the thread standards. I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, I just wanted to share, and I did take the time to carefully go through my pictures and pick out which ones I thought were the best at laest.

Sethos

Banned
The foliage dots are probably because of my low resolution, thanks for indicating which areas.

How are you using depth of field during races? My pictures were all live, not replays/camera pictures so I'm not sure if DoF is only available there or not.

I'm not sure my 5850 can play with 8xMSAA to avoid the power line jaggies. :( Sorry if my shots were too crappy for the thread standards. I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, I just wanted to share, and I did take the time to carefully go through my pictures and pick out which ones I thought were the best at laest.

Press F3 during the race, that activates DoF. Use F5/F6 and F7/8 ( Believe it is ) to widen / move the DoF focus.

I'm only at 4xMSAA and my power lines seem a lot less jaggy, hence why I was puzzled since you run a lot higher AA. Must be something else interfering. But it wasn't to discourage you from posting my good man, was just offering my opinion on the entire FXAA / Jaggy thing, it made your pictures look fuzzy and the odd jaggies just ruined your nice pictures.

Sethos

Banned
So do you guys recommend CARS?
How well does it run?

Oh it's definitely recommended. You should really join up before they close it down ( Due to signing with a publisher ). The constant builds are really refreshing and you're in amazement how much they manage to implement constantly. Plus, with the right membership you even get the game when it launches.

As for the performance, I'd say it's quite stunning. When you first look at the game, you think "It's one of those games that will eat my computer, won't be able to do any sort of AA or those sort of effects" but no, even lower-end machines can turn it up quite high and even add a healthy amount of AA and still manage 60FPS or nearly.

Plus it's a Screenshotters dream, free cam, customizable DoF, fantastic engine etc.

IMACOMPUTA

Oh it's definitely recommended. You should really join up before they close it down ( Due to signing with a publisher ). The constant builds are really refreshing and you're in amazement how much they manage to implement constantly. Plus, with the right membership you even get the game when it launches.

As for the performance, I'd say it's quite stunning. When you first look at the game, you think "It's one of those games that will eat my computer, won't be able to do any sort of AA or those sort of effects" but no, even lower-end machines can turn it up quite high and even add a healthy amount of AA and still manage 60FPS or nearly.

Plus it's a Screenshotters dream, free cam, customizable DoF, fantastic engine etc.

I just ordered a dfgt last night . Really want to get into some sim racing.
I made an account and was really close to buying CARS, but I felt it would be dumb to not go full member and $60 usd is kinda steep!
When my wheel arrives I will decide.

jet1911

NFS Hot Pursuit

First pic taken with the ingame Photomode second one with Fraps. Is there a way to turn off the HUD in the photo mode?

image139mkio.jpg

nfs112012-03-2215-25-o1jo3.png

Sorry if my shots were too crappy for the thread standards. I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, I just wanted to share, and I did take the time to carefully go through my pictures and pick out which ones I thought were the best at laest.
There are no IQ standards, as a matter of fact it's useful to have screens in low end hardware or with flaws so knowledgeable users can educate the rest of us.

There's a thread that serves the purposes of only incredible looking shots already in the forum, so people with those ¨high quality standards only¨ can use that.

Top Bottom