• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
7876032178_6d6ac0031b_z.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/n...-rugged-and-rusty.html?_r=1&hp&pagewanted=all

Elizabeth A. Harris's New York Times piece today asks the question everyone else forgot to ask: Why is the Barclays Center, home of the relocated and rebranded Brooklyn Nets, covered with rust?

The material is Cor-Ten, a brand name of "weathering steel." Construction companies have mentioned the steel in their press releases, and a few sites covered the bankruptcy of the steel fabricator. But mostly nobody has paid attention to the corroded exterior. Leitch gave the building its most thorough examination yet in last week's New York, and he said of the place only that it was "hardly architecturally distinguished."

Yet weathering steel does distinguish the building. It plants it firmly within a dated and troubled architectural tradition, one that since the '70s has left a landscape of failed structures.

The material is supposed to be counterintuitive: What looks like neglect and damage is really a protective coat of corrosion. The otherwise unprotected steel naturally builds up rust on the outside, which keeps further oxidation from happening on the inside. Spreading across the pure, monumental curves of a Richard Serra sculpture, the rust forms a tough, stable, richly colored surface.

But when used on something more complicated and functional—such as a sports arena—this simple, natural material is incredibly finicky and unstable. Where the steel is welded together or there's space to catch water, the protective rust has a way of turning into regular old destructive rust. Atlanta's Omni Coliseum, which opened in October 1972, had a weathering steel frame. The structure never stopped rusting, the elements bored holes in the roof, and the city had to replace the building with Philips Arena 25 years later.
http://deadspin.com/5938202/?utm_ca...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

giri

Yeah seriously, thats a horrible looking stadium.

In a country where they have so many decent ones, they really shit that up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
A search party looking for the remaining garden mystique to package in a trade with Carmelo?

"Me and all this can be yours, for the low low price of Gallinari and a draft pick!"

Chandler or Gallinari, but not both!

The funny thing about that? Knicks fans were right.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yeah seriously, thats a horrible looking stadium.

In a country where they have so many decent ones, they really shit that up.

Yeah, it's an eyesore. And it will need replacing in 20 years.

Although that seems to be the shelf life owners put on buildings anyway.

giri

Yeah, it's an eyesore. And it will need replacing in 20 years.

Although that seems to be the shelf life owners put on buildings anyway.

I think the newer generation are expecting 30years. But maybe only 20 years as a Big Sports (i.e. nba) stadium, then 10 years or more as a secondary sports / entertainment stadium.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
yeah i agree, i'm really not a big Brook Lopez fan though.

The front line is pretty sad with Brook and Kris.. But if Brook can focus on rebounding they might improve up front..

giri

Work slowed down immensely when nobody else was allowed to shoot the nail gun.

Thats how you do it people.

The front line is pretty sad with Brook and Kris.. But if Brook can focus on rebounding they might improve up front..
Brooke has all the talent in the world. I REALLY liked his game. But he gave less fucks than the entire 2011-2012 bobcats team put together for an entire season. And that really dragged my opinion on him down.

Mainly because i don't think he's got it in him to be the second best guy on a chip team. And usually you need one of your bigs to be the at least the second best player on the team, when you chip.

(Bosh, Pau, KG)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Where's that ultra reckless NeoCav? It's depressing that I woke up drinking his Kool-Aid.

T Dollarz

Anybody else watch that Iverson/Vince showdown of the 2001 Eastern Semis on NBA TV? SO GOOD. AI dropped 54, Vinsanity with 28, and Mutombo with the 5 finger wags... legendary stuff.

I saw a dude in a Ryan Gomes Celtics jersey when I was grocery shopping today. Blew my mind.

The real mindblowing part isn't that someone chose to wear it. Isolated acts of insanity happen all the time. It's that someone had the idea to manufacture that jersey and wasnt instantly shot down.

What a weird look for a building.

I know see why Ninja made that thread about PSN. The Vita nonsense tonight is just comedy.

Top Bottom