• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"2014 will mark a renaissance for Sonic the Hedgehog"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad.T

Banned
The_creation_of_Metal_Sonic_by_Nerkin.jpg

Quite good examples of the era, I must say. However, I'm more partial to the works of DaKnuxie, myself.

*Smokes fancy pipe*

Yep, Machinima or Gamespot broke embargo, it's going down tomorrow. Hoping for not a gameplay-reboot and a future with more Unleashed HD styled games, 1 or 2 after that is not enough for me.

I actually do hope for a gameplay reboot. It worked in Mario 64 for Mario.

Timeless

Imagine that you attend a terrible summer camp for years. In the moment, you hate it. But as an adult, you look back fondly at the good times you did have, while forgetting that most of it was bad.

Those fond memories form Sonic Generations (a game that I liked).

It's very hard to make a good Sonic game because even the retro games aren't great. There's no great legacy to look back on, and no successful blueprint to follow.

Unleashed 2 please.

Replace the warehog with knuckles, Make metal sonic the villain and add a 2 player mode with shadow.
What we really want is a new Ristar. Failing that, 3D Classics Ristar from M2 with cool new features.

Contrary to minority opinion, there is a blueprint for Sonic game design success: the original physics engine devised by Yasuhara and company. Pair that with great 2D level design and a fun platformer you will make. Figuring something out similar for 3D Sonic games is the challenge yet unfulfilled.

saw this on twitter

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/04/04/source-possible-sonic-reboot-for-2014-explored/

didn't believe this rumor before, but it's kinda scary how well this rumor fits with recent revelations. Tomorrow is definitely going to be interesting.

The source claimed the company intends to target the young audience bent on physical collectibles by perhaps going so far as to require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features in future Sonic series. An example would be to purchase a Knuckles statue in order to gain the echidna as a playable character in-game. The strategy could also be used to unlock extra levels.

do not want

bon

Man I hope they aren't going to start basing games on the new cartoon. I can already tell I don't like those redesigns just from the silhouettes. Keep the games separate from the cartoons and comics.

Can you imagine if they rebooted the entire franchise with Sonic X and made a bunch of games with Chris, and Tails's weird alien girlfriend?

Even worse, imagine a game based on Sonic Underground. The horror.

Mory Dunz

The next game won't really be a traditional Sonic game, right?

I mean, right after Lost World, and before Sonic 2015?

It has to be something else I would think. Don't really care about Sonic but I like speculating.

Racing? All Star Transformed is still recent
Fighting? Hm, well Smash exists so I dunno.
Shooter? Yea.....
RPG? Maybe.
Sonic Battle would be cool.
Sports Game? Maybe...perhaps Sonic joins with Mario sports titles.

Wonder if I missed anything?
(Court investigation Sonic game? Ha)

Insert Chao Garden begging that Professor Beef can get angry at.

Multiplatform SA2:B Chao system port with graphical overhaul and online networking at the least, SEGA

I can tell that people haven't played Sonic Adventure or SA2 in a while. Those games do NOT stand up. I'm not sure they ever dod

I can tell that people haven't played Sonic Adventure or SA2 in a while. Those games do NOT stand up. I'm not sure they ever dod

I played them just last year. Sure there's some jank, (they're Dreamcast games after all) but they're thoroughly enjoyable. They've got some decently varied levels, a big cast of differently playing characters, and tons of radical music.

I played it for the first time recently. The Sonic and Shadow levels with their speed and shortcuts, and the Knuckles and Rouge ones were passable.

Adventure 1 is kind of horrible though.

Rulp

I already feel like it's going to be terrible. I hope those silhouettes are not indicative of cartoony redesigns.

Levyne

Banned
I wonder how significantly different the designs are. The obvious thing is Knuckles silhouette there, but even Sonic's seems off or slightly different.

UberTag

Man I hope they aren't going to start basing games on the new cartoon. I can already tell I don't like those redesigns just from the silhouettes. Keep the games separate from the cartoons and comics.

Can you imagine if they rebooted the entire franchise with Sonic X and made a bunch of games with Chris, and Tails's weird alien girlfriend?

The source claimed the company intends to target the young audience bent on physical collectibles by perhaps going so far as to require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features in future Sonic series. An example would be to purchase a Knuckles statue in order to gain the echidna as a playable character in-game. The strategy could also be used to unlock extra levels.
What we have here is Sonic meets Skylanders... and given all of the recent redesigns in the comic verse and the desire to mass market a bunch of toys... I would not be surprised to see the historic wall between the Sonic games, comics and cartoons torn asunder tomorrow.

Knuckles hasn't been featured in the comics since the character design reset button was pushed, has he? Can't wait for the fandom uproar.

Some Guy

People hoping for anything other than a direct tie-in game to the show are going to be disappointed. I'm pretty sure what they're going to reveal at this thing is that they're pushing the big red "REBOOT" button, and that the show and game are both a part of it.

MAtgS

I rather take the SatAM cast over a good number of the game characters.

Haines

Banned
This has to be the tenth time we've been through this. Sonic will only be as good as the debs which clearly aren't up to snuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom