• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Last Ship has been renewed.
I hope the next season it turns out that the virus was created by aliens and that the show becomes the TV version of Battleship. lol

---

Oh weird, Syfy has another show about the female descendant of a famous figure hunting mystical creatures. I'm not sure if this is trend, but I guess if this is a way to get more female led genre vehicles, why not.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I hope MTV renew scream for season 3 it's an awesome show

For me, it depends on how this season ends. I enjoy it enough to watch week to week, but if they pulled some bullshit with the ending it could turn into a show I wait and stream.

LionPride

Banned
Awesome!

Really? I like everything he's been in, I hope that's not the case. Has there been articles/interviews to back this up?
Some shit he said about Gamergate

He was on the sexist, harrassing, assholes side

Also screw Joss Whedon, man ain't as funny as he thinks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
All you have to do is google "Adam Baldwin" and it takes all but 10 results to discover that he is at best a shit heel and at worst a shit lord.

I've been watching more TV recently and trying to figure out how it all works, but can't seem to figure out a few things so I'll ask them here if it is okay?

1. What is an upfront?

2. Why are there midseason haituses? I've never understood this: why take a show that is (presumably) doing well (they do this for The Walking Dead) and then have people wait for several months before watching again?

3. What dictates the demographics a network is going to go for? For example, FX with males 18-49? Is it the parent company looking to diversify across all its channels and holdings, or is it the channel itself?

4. Which primetime slots are most "important" and which are least? It seems like Sunday primetime would be the most important, and Friday would be the least, but is this accurate? Is there a list ranking?

5. How do affiliates work? Seems like a local station that contracts with a network and gets to broadcast their stuff, so the network gets to have a new market to operate in, but what is in it for the station, and can they switch over to broadcasting for someone else?

6. Not so much related to TV but still in there: how come Time Warner Cable was sold off? Surely being able to create the content (WB, HBO), and distribute it (TWC) would be helpful given how expensive it can be to get rights to the content in the first place. Not just that but owning your own content would make you have a very strong position in terms of offering value to your consumers.

Joni

1. What is an upfront?
It is a meeting where television sells advertising time to advertisers. It is the moment they have to lay out their plans.

2. Why are there midseason haituses? I've never understood this: why take a show that is (presumably) doing well (they do this for The Walking Dead) and then have people wait for several months before watching again?
It is to maximize the time people watch the network skipping unpopular television periods like Christmas, or to maximize subscribers, depending on the type. Something like The Walking Dead also gives AMC more time to get people to watch their other shows.

3. What dictates the demographics a network is going to go for? For example, FX with males 18-49? Is it the parent company looking to diversify across all its channels and holdings, or is it the channel itself?
It depends on the popularity of advertising that sells well, the type of programming they had success with in the past, wanting to diversify, ... stuff like that. So it depends from time to time.

4. Which primetime slots are most "important" and which are least? It seems like Sunday primetime would be the most important, and Friday would be the least, but is this accurate? Is there a list ranking?
Monday to Thursday for network, Sunday for cable. Friday is least, Saturday a disaster.

5. How do affiliates work? Seems like a local station that contracts with a network and gets to broadcast their stuff, so the network gets to have a new market to operate in, but what is in it for the station, and can they switch over to broadcasting for someone else?
They don't have to pay for their own specific content, but they will sometimes air their own stuff instead of what is on. Then a show can be 'pre-empted' in certain markets. Some networks like The CW give a lot of time to affiliates, others less. They can even affiliate themselves with two or more networks at the same time.

It is a meeting where television sells advertising time to advertisers. It is the moment they have to lay out their plans.

It is to maximize the time people watch the network skipping unpopular television periods like Christmas, or to maximize subscribers, depending on the type. Something like The Walking Dead also gives AMC more time to get people to watch their other shows.

It depends on the popularity of advertising that sells well, the type of programming they had success with in the past, wanting to diversify, ... stuff like that. So it depends from time to time.

Monday to Thursday for network, Sunday for cable. Friday is least, Saturday a disaster.

They don't have to pay for their own specific content, but they will sometimes air their own stuff instead of what is on. Then a show can be 'pre-empted' in certain markets. Some networks like The CW give a lot of time to affiliates, others less. They can even affiliate themselves with two or more networks at the same time.

Thank you so much for the answer! Been trying to figure out some of these for weeks (and in the case of midseason hiatuses, years).

So I guess, the better you do at convincing advertisers to advertise with you, the more money you can get for the ads, and the more you can reinvest into producing new content or other related stuff?

Hmm okay.

Ah thanks.

Then let me ask you this - why are there so many segments? Put it like this - why is Sunday good for cable whereas it'd be Monday - Thursday for the networks? And given the wider reach of broadcast vs cable and premium cable (respectively) doesn't that still result in some fracturing (from the premium cabler's side of the perspective, that is), since they're still facing off against the networks' heavy hitters? I'm taking you literally here though.

Okay... I remember reading somewhere that NBC tries to provide 72 or so hours of original stuff per week, but does that mean that there's a national generic, 24/7 template of "if you're with us, you can show this at this time", and the affiliate can decide to tailor that in to meet the needs and conditions of their local market? I'm still not seeing what is in it for the affiliate here. Unless the affiliate is being paid to broadcast the stuff?

Joni

So I guess, the better you do at convincing advertisers to advertise with you, the more money you can get for the ads, and the more you can reinvest into producing new content or other related stuff?
It is basically, although it is also content buying from other providers. Especially in those cases ads are important as ads are the only income. Something like The CW which produces everything 'in-house' can profit more from other revenue streams.

Then let me ask you this - why are there so many segments? Put it like this - why is Sunday good for cable whereas it'd be Monday - Thursday for the networks? And given the wider reach of broadcast vs cable and premium cable (respectively) doesn't that still result in some fracturing (from the premium cabler's side of the perspective, that is), since they're still facing off against the networks' heavy hitters? I'm taking you literally here though.
More self-fullfiling prophecy. Cable puts some heavy hitters on sunday, so more people watch it, so they repeat that. It basically started with The Sopranos in 1999 when HBO saw the networks had a weak sunday, so they pounced on it and it grew from there. And yes, while there is no real downfall in television viewing numbers, live ratings per show have dropped tremendously.

Okay... I remember reading somewhere that NBC tries to provide 72 or so hours of original stuff per week, but does that mean that there's a national generic, 24/7 template of "if you're with us, you can show this at this time", and the affiliate can decide to tailor that in to meet the needs and conditions of their local market? I'm still not seeing what is in it for the affiliate here. Unless the affiliate is being paid to broadcast the stuff?
This is really more agreement dependent, but they basically pay to get programming for X amount of hours per week - with some information on when they are allowed to broadcast other stuff, like big sports games- after which the cable companies pay them to air stuff. Local affiliates usually show local news, local sports and take all the rest of the programming.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
DirecTV has renewed Rogue for a fourth and final season.

And in the case of The Walking Dead, the hiatus allows them to skip over a bunch of football season and the Super Bowl, as well as build more hype for the back half of the season (a lot of shows that run past 10-13 episodes tend to start dragging, ratings wise, so this is a way to try and avoid that).

Dollhouse was terribly miscast, Eliza Dushku just didn't have the range to carry it off. Could you have imagined Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) as the lead in that show instead? Ah well, the last 2 or 3 episodes were fantastic.

Wasn't there a rumor that a big pay cable show isn't getting a renewal and some of the cast has moved on? One I can think of is Ray Donovan, hasn't gotten a renewal yet and the story/writing hasn't really improved a lot since season 1, probably gone down a little in fact.

Zero315

Banned
He is GamerGate. He coined the name.
Oh, it doesn't stop there. He's also part of the tea party, anti-gay marriage, and has tweeted out some fairly racist shit.

In similar news I found out yesterday that James Woods is a Trump supporter.

On topic: Mr. Robot is fantastic. Watched the first season on Amazon Prime and man... that show really takes a turn that I'm digging.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The other part of this is that sweeps periods, for some reason, still exist in 2016 and you want your best programming for February, May, July and November when all the Nielsen ratings come in.

He is an old white guy. He is also Tea Party.

150706_POL_Sanders.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

bill-clinton-.jpg

You and your generalizations, joni.
🍕

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The third episode of Survivor's Remorse broke a million viewers, which is a first for a Starz original comedy series. Renewal incoming...

qiYM8iL.gif
The White Slave got added to Netflix

This is not a drill! Someone alert ivy!

Take this opportunity to join me in the realisation that Victoria is awesome because "everyone is the same color which is why she won’t rest until she claims justice and become heroin".
Or relive the magic of kids happily slaving away.

Or, as me, start your drinking early today!

MAKE AN OT

TDLink

It's comfortable fluff television and stays firmly on the "good" side of average. Mostly because of the performances rather than the plot. Although, it helps that they allow the show to take creative risks and change up the formula unlike, say, what happened with Burn Notice.

It's USA's highest rated show by far, so this isn't that surprising. I'm assuming a renewal for Queen of the South is going to come pretty soon too since right now that's their #2, surprisingly.

norm9

Been watching Queen of the South. Love it so far, but don't want to face the same nonsense of a not renewed season two that I got with Gang Related.

I'm assuming a renewal for Queen of the South is going to come pretty soon too since right now that's their #2, surprisingly.

I hope so.

Been watching Queen of the South. Love it so far, but don't want to face the same nonsense of a not renewed season two that I got with Gang Related

Does it get any better after the pilot? The pilot had me falling asleep, and felt very very "here throw this in, put that there!" :S.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tim Goodman - Cable Channels, Try Not to Drown While Testing Scripted Waters

If 'Mr. Robot' can't even move the needle much for USA Network, how can Pop, Epix or National Geographic hope to have a chance with their new scripted shows?

The bottom line is this: Nobody I've talked to in the industry currently understands how it will shake out in the next two months, much less the next two years. But they do expect a number of outlets who recently or currently jumped into the scripted game to get tossed out on their asses when the money and the numbers don't make enough sense and the dollar ends up ruling the day.

As it's wont to do.

The problem is exactly what it's always been, if by "always" we mean the last three years: There's too much television. Viewers/consumers can't keep up with it and thus can't find it and end up not watching it. This is a base-level economic decision. This goes way beyond the "they are watching it a month or more later" truisms.

No, this falls squarely within the much uglier realm of "they've never heard of it and will never watch it."

That's a huge problem. That's a you're-dead problem. It's been inevitable but now it's here.

So, who gets out of this alive?

Probably not the channels getting into the scripted business yesterday. Probably not anyone without very deep pockets. Probably not anyone with deep pockets but a fidgety set of executives who were dubious about getting into scripted in the first place. The bubble is going to burst and it's going to wipe out the broke and the squeamish pretty damned quickly.

berzeli

Banned

Agree with most things in that article, viewer attention (and retention) is becoming increasingly harder to attain.

Case in point:
Berlin Station on Epix.
That show is (probably) fuuuuuucked in terms of ratings. The first trailer has got (as of writing) 81K views, and I'm assuming most of those are from the fact that the trailer autoplays when you open epix's youtube page.
It (yet again, probably) will be a good show. But will it be a show which makes people aware that Epix is an actual thing? I mean I'm into Berlin Station and I still occasionly doubt that Epix exists.

There is definitely way, way, way too much good TV on now. I don't even bother DVRing shows I am not going to watch the next day, my DVR got too full of "this show is supposed to be really good, I will watch it soon!"

Even still I have hundreds of hours of TV to catch up on, and I am retired so have literally all the free time in the world. You have to start making up new rules, like don't bother watching season 1 of a new show unless its something you are really into. If a show isn't grabbing you, drop it and come back and binge watch after the season is over. etc.

TBS is the one network that is the outlier for me, no one really knows what exactly TBS airs (sports? reruns?) and yet it has a pretty great crop of shows - Angie Tribeca, Sam Bee, Jim Gaffigan, Conan O'Brian, American Dad. Then there are all those one off networks you never really heard about that air one or two good shows, but no one watches them because who ever heard of that channel?

I think something like Netflix is turning into the "clearinghouse" for good TV, 1-2 years after it first airs or even a decade later in some cases. Will definitely make for interesting business, if a show can't make money when it first airs off ad rates, but can make a killing a few years down the road being sold to Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom