• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you can say Time Travel shows are history this year...

Fast-Demo-2017-Mar-19.SUN_.png

Well at least LoT and 12 Monkeys got at least another year. This show though, I've waited it so far (still need to watch last night's episode) and meh.

berzeli

Banned
Fleabag WILL be back in 2018 says Phoebe Waller-Bridge
Hit Phoebe Waller-Bridge comedy Fleabag will be back for a second series, the writer has assured RadioTimes.com.
Speaking at the Broadcasting Press Guild Awards, Waller-Bridge revealed that she was only keen to bring the blackly comic story back if she had a "an idea that was good enough".
“I think I have one,” she says, although she won't reveal what that is. However she added that the plan is to shoot another series in November for an expected broadcast in 2018. “We are all trying to make it work and have the same team back.”

Best news.

abundant

Wow at Supergirl, 24 and APB....

Not really surprised to see Supergirl that low. S2 started out strong, but ever since coming back from the Winter Break, the show's been a directionless mess filled with horrible CW drama. If they don't fix this issue by next season, I can see SG falling in line with or below Legends' ratings.

mm04

Not really surprised to see Supergirl that low. S2 started out strong, but ever since coming back from the Winter Break, the show's been a directionless mess filled with horrible CW drama. If they don't fix this issue by next season, I can see SG falling in line with or below Legends' ratings.

This is true. The only damn thing I remember over the last 4 or 5 episodes is Mon-El and Kara crap. I was happy when they put the kibosh on Kara and Jimmy. But of course, they just replace that love interest arc with another one. Ugh.

xrnzaaas

It's really depressing if you look at the ratings from 10 years ago posted by one of the people at tvbythunumbers. On March 19th, 2007 the original 24 show got a 4.7 rating.

- Variety cover story: TV’s Dead Zone: How the Cable Sector Is Killing Off Struggling Networks
Earlier this month, the close-knit world of unscripted cable-TV producers became convinced that A+E Networks was about to pull the plug on its FYI channel, making the three-year-old lifestyle outlet another casualty of the too-much-TV environment.

This was news to A+E Networks, which has locked in carriage deals for FYI with the largest pay-TV distributors, stretching into 2020. As it turned out, a shift in FYI’s development focus and the shuffling of a few staff members within the A+E Networks channel group set off a game of telephone that wrote an obituary for a channel that figures into the core of A+E’s plans.

But the fact that the shutdown of FYI seemed plausible to industry professionals speaks volumes about the state of upheaval in the traditional cable-distribution landscape. NBCUniversal’s decision in January to shutter two of the weakest linear outlets in its channel portfolio — Esquire Network and Cloo — was a warning shot that is reverberating throughout the pay-TV jungle. The thinning of the cable-channel herd has begun.
More via the link including a chart of who owns what and how many viewers some of the smaller networks get.

maxcriden

How many shows in prime time's last hour slot do much better than a 1.0? (I know the show's budget may be a bit heavy...)

I'm not sure the show's budget is as heavy as I've previously wondered it may be. I think the downtown set they used was reused across several time periods, like Lincoln's death and 70's Washington, and they have a large field they used for everything from the Hindenburg to Lindbergh. Maybe that creative set dressing helped save some dough. Man, I really did enjoy the show quite a bit.

It's really depressing if you look at the ratings from 10 years ago posted by one of the people at tvbythunumbers. On March 19th, 2007 the original 24 show got a 4.7 rating.

Yep. It's crazy to think of 23.5 million viewers watching the season 2 premiere of Lost in September 2005. That's an 8.4!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
- Variety cover story: TV’s Dead Zone: How the Cable Sector Is Killing Off Struggling NetworksMore via the link including a chart of who owns what and how many viewers some of the smaller networks get.

An interesting counterpoint to these cable channel closures is the increase in digital subnets being carried on the OTA signals of broadcasters.

In the last two years over 10 channels launched, with niche programming like Westerns, Sci-fi, Action/Adventure, and even internet-based programming.

I am shocked at how many of these networks I have never heard of or seen.

FYI: FYI is a channel.

Joni

How many shows in prime time's last hour slot do much better than a 1.0? (I know the show's budget may be a bit heavy...)

It is not the budget, but the weak ratings when coupled with The Voice, the biggest thing they have, aren't promising. Blindspot and Revolution also launched with The Voice, they did much higher and still bombed in their second season.

berzeli

Banned
- Variety cover story: TV’s Dead Zone: How the Cable Sector Is Killing Off Struggling Networks
More via the link including a chart of who owns what and how many viewers some of the smaller networks get.
Man, that chart is crazy:
MTV, MTV2, MTV live, mtvU, and MTV Classic. That's five MTVs, who says "I want my five MTVs"?
Will be very interesting to see what happens with Viacom. Between the corporate drama, Paramount being Paramount, and this there will be rough times ahead.

Zalasta

With May only 6 weeks away, I realized that I've dropped quite a few shows since the season started 7 months ago. I had every intention to keep watching them, but once I started to fall behind, I just never felt the urge to catch up. The notables are Arrow, Flash, Walking Dead, Designated Survivor, Blindspot, Rosewood and Quantico.

MoeDabs

A lot more entertainment vying for your time now. Netflix, Hulu, amazon, plus everybody has a YouTube show. Not depressing at all.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This might be of interest here: the AV Club has a new TV show on Fusion called, well, the AV Club TV Show.

Basically a pop culture show somewhat wrapped in the veneer of a Last Week Tonight. In its first episode it tackles the Nielsen ratings and how it's more of a system for networks to convince advertisers to spend money than it is an actual reflection of what we're all watching. You can watch it for free here: http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-bob-odenkirk-help-kick-first-episode-v-club--252308 and it starts about 7 minutes in with a slight aside about how no one they know actually watched the most watched show in the country, NCIS.

xrnzaaas

A lot more entertainment vying for your time now. Netflix, Hulu, amazon, plus everybody has a YouTube show. Not depressing at all.

True but not all of the network shows can grow elsewhere as well and it may hurt them a lot and/or lead to an early cancellation.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
8 BUCKS for ESPN?

Is this because of they almost have every sport but hockey?

No, it's more because of their bigger event broadcasts. ESPN has Monday Night Football (NFL) throughout the regular season, the College Football National Championship as well as all the major bowl games, a lot of big college football games throughout the regular season as well as their weekly GameDay live specials, a lot of NBA playoff games, the Masters Tournament (PGA) ... that's the stuff that really drives up the cost. The rights to all those broadcasts is expensive, and they're so sought after by viewers that it makes ESPN seen as an essential channel for cable carriers — which means ESPN can charge more.

Also, the frequent SportsCenter broadcasts throughout the day and night are very popular.

All the other various sports that ESPN airs essentially amount to filler and aren't sought out by viewers enough to drive up subscription costs by any appreciable degree.

dLMN8R

Is 24 Legacy any good? Im still bitter they didnt give closure to us Jack Bauer fans, I am sure that pissed of many fans

No, it's fucking awful. Everything is predictable, all the character motivations are stupid, all of the regressive and isulting politics revolves around "demonize and suspect all foreigners but here's a white dude who's really behind everything!!!", stereotypes galore around all of the black characters except for the lead for the most part, and so on.

Oh, and the only reason Tony was brought back was because some current character on the show wants to use him for "enhanced interrogation techniques" because I guess that's just what he does now? And since 24 was directly responsible for helping normalize torture in the Bush administration, I guess they want to live up to their history here?

I'm sure there's 24 fan fiction that's more thoughtful and well-crafted than Legacy ever comes close to.

Survivor Season 2, 2001. 30 million viewers an episode(45 million premier), 12 rating in the demo.

Survivor Season 15, 2007. 15 million viewers an episode, 9. Rating

Survivor Season 34, 2017. 7.5 million an episode, 1.7 Rating

Wow at Supergirl, 24 and APB....

Fast-Demo-2017-Mar.20-MON.png

Only 2 dramas that are above 1.0....

I feel sorry rooting against Supergirl but unlike Flash that can easily be fixed they seem to need a slap to the face to kickstart a repair.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is 24 Legacy any good? Im still bitter they didnt give closure to us Jack Bauer fans, I am sure that pissed of many fans

You know, I enjoyed the first couple episodes in a "24 is totally back" way. But I dropped it after last week. Every 24 trope is played completely straight with no attempt at subversion. I can understand why the ratings are dropping off a cliff. It was fun at first but the pacing is a little too fast. All the ridiculous stuff that Jack did over the course of 24 episodes is happening every episode. When it's squashed together, it just gives me time to think about how dumb it is.

A show with 24's format would be a cool idea for Netflix. Bet people would love binging that.

And going back to that cable TV chart, I never realized Investigation Discovery did that well for itself. Not bad for a cheap true crime spin-off network.

Patryn

Man, that chart is crazy:
MTV, MTV2, MTV live, mtvU, and MTV Classic. That's five MTVs, who says "I want my five MTVs"?
Will be very interesting to see what happens with Viacom. Between the corporate drama, Paramount being Paramount, and this there will be rough times ahead.

Weren't most of those MTV stations created to allow for something more akin to the "original" MTV just showing music videos, only to all drift away and start showing original programming and reruns to the point that none of them really focus on music videos at this point?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Weren't most of those MTV stations created to allow for something more akin to the "original" MTV just showing music videos, only to all drift away and start showing original programming and reruns to the point that none of them really focus on music videos at this point?

I remember MTV 2 was more video focused for awhile and then they drifted hard into just showing old MTV shows from the 90s and 2000s. But yeah, seems it went down like you're saying. It's basically sitcoms and reruns for other MTV stuff. That's sorta my issue with these niche networks. They all seem to end up just showing generic reruns so they can survive.

One of the dining halls at my university had MTV U on an endless loop that none of the student workers could change. Nobody really watched it, but at a glance it looked like the OG MTV vision. It was always either a news story or music videos.

Busty

Banned
Ahem. The second episode of the new/last season of Samurai Jack on Adult Swim at 11pm on a bastard Saturday night did 1.3 MILLION total viewers and 700, 000 in the demo.

Wot.

In five years time when everyone and their Aunt will have a SVOD service that runs new scripted series (also, whatever did happen to that Overstock platform?) Fox's new sitcoms will debut to numbers like this..., if they're lucky.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-march-18-2017/

vypek

Ahem. The second episode of the new/last season of Samurai Jack on Adult Swim at 11pm on a bastard Saturday night did 1.3 MILLION total viewers and 700, 000 in the demo.

Wot.

In five years time when everyone and their Aunt will have a SVOD service that runs new scripted series (also, whatever did happen to that Overstock platform?) Fox's new sitcoms will debut to numbers like this..., if they're lucky.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/saturday-cable-ratings-march-18-2017/

Damn. Thats pretty awesome :)

Penguin

You know, I enjoyed the first couple episodes in a "24 is totally back" way. But I dropped it after last week. Every 24 trope is played completely straight with no attempt at subversion. I can understand why the ratings are dropping off a cliff. It was fun at first but the pacing is a little too fast. All the ridiculous stuff that Jack did over the course of 24 episodes is happening every episode. When it's squashed together, it just gives me time to think about how dumb it is.

A show with 24's format would be a cool idea for Netflix. Bet people would love binging that.

And going back to that cable TV chart, I never realized Investigation Discovery did that well for itself. Not bad for a cheap true crime spin-off network.

What dawned on me, because not necessarily tired of the formula, is the creators didn't account for how much of the show was Jack.

Not that someone couldn't replace him, but the fact that season 1 was more character-driven help establish him and his world. We're just supposed to buy Carter as the super agent without any of the character buiding.

This might be of interest here: the AV Club has a new TV show on Fusion called, well, the AV Club TV Show.

Basically a pop culture show somewhat wrapped in the veneer of a Last Week Tonight. In its first episode it tackles the Nielsen ratings and how it's more of a system for networks to convince advertisers to spend money than it is an actual reflection of what we're all watching. You can watch it for free here: http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-bob-odenkirk-help-kick-first-episode-v-club--252308 and it starts about 7 minutes in with a slight aside about how no one they know actually watched the most watched show in the country, NCIS.

Every adult who has living parents or grandparents knows someone who watches NCIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom