• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 GAF TV Show of the Year + TV Fail of the Year Voting Thread! Voting closes Jan 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducarmel

Just dotting shows down for now will update order and opinion before closing

1. The Expanse
HtyjrbW.jpg

I cant believe SyFy did not mess this one up. I admit it probably isnt the best show of 2015/2016 but dammit its the best thing to a hard sci-fi tv show. While not all the way hard sci-fi I do appreciate the details and consequences of long space flight and weaker then earth gravity has on our society. The premise is nothing new to sci-fi secrete conspiracy, colonist wanting to secede, two powers skating around war, old school politics clutching to the power it has, blah blah blah, but the plot and characters I actually found engaging between the hard sci-fi moments the show dishes out. Season 2 has already been announced and I cant wait.

2. Trollhunters: I feel like a kid again

3. Person of Interest

4. The Americans

5. Westworld

6. Luke Cage

7. Better Call Saul

8. Black Mirror

9. Dark Matter

10. Killjoys

anaron

1. Rectify

2. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

3. Crazy Ex Girlfriend

4. iZombie

5. The People vs O.J. Simpson

6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

7. Orange is the New Black

8. Stranger Things

9. Supergirl

10. Agents of Shield

Runner ups:

Lady Dynamite
Better Things

=

boingball

1. The Americans ; Not enough people are watching this show
2. Westworld ; Better than expected. Though I am not sure what season 2 will be, all out war?
3. Better Call Saul ; While not as good as Breaking Bad it scratches my Breaking Bad itch
4. Orange is the new Black ; This show has only strong seasons.
5. Luke Cage ; Enjoyed how they embraced the blackness of the character by making it almost an entirely black show.
6. House of Cards ; Trump has some competition in this president
7. Mr. Robot ; Where are the robots?
8. Game of Thrones ; Show will be missed once it is gone
9. The 100 ; Not as good as the second season but doing some world building opens up opportunities for the future
10. The Good Wife ; While the show fell off a little bit in the later seasons I still enjoyed the ride to the end

Fail of the year: Cancelling Agent Carter

I've kept track of all the shows I've watched this year so I'll do a list past my top 10. Still working my way through some shows so my list may change.

TV Shows 2016 Seasons:
1. BoJack Horseman: This show hits me hard and often when watching it. It is dark, clever, devastating, and hilarious. I think it shows more on the human condition and delves deeper into our psyche than any non-animated show has.
2. Atlanta: I think Donald Glover is one of the most multi-talented artists out there and this show combines all his strengths into one entity.
3. Game of Thrones: Quite possibly its strongest season yet. The last two episodes were phenomenal.
4. Stranger Things: Great 80s throwback, had me engrossed instantly and held my attention the whole way.
5. Silicon Valley: Show can always make me laugh if nothing else. I thought the start was stronger than the finish, but overall it was still a great season.
6. Veep: So truth be told I haven't seen any of the seasons of Veep before this one, but it was on in between Silicon Valley and This Week Tonight and I was easily able to jump in and enjoy it. Great TV.
7. The Get Down: The show is a bit of a failed masterpiece in my mind. It has great style, it has great heart, but it is over the top and corny also. I still really enjoyed it and am looking forward to part 2.
8. Red Oaks: Great underrated show on Amazon and the second season is better than the first.
9. The Night Of: Another show with a bit of missed potential, but I still enjoyed it for doing something else with the genre.
10. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: To be honest I don't remember a whole lot of the season, but I remember enjoying it while I was watching it.

11. Flaked: Will Arnett vehicle on Netflix and pretty much BoJack come to life, but not as good.
12. Love: I enjoyed it, but that was about it.
13. Fuller House: solid fun, debating whether I want to watch Part 2 or not.
14. Haters Back Off: really freaking awful, this is significantly worse than everything else on this list, do not watch it.

TV SHOWS (all seasons watched in 2016, numbering to show amount of shows, not preference):
1. Fuller House S1
2. Haters Back Off S1
3. Cheers S1-S2
4. Archer S6
5. 30 Rock S1-6 (rewatch)
6. Mad Men S1-7
7. It's Always Sunny S10
8. BoJack Horseman S1-3 (S1-S2 rewatch)
9. The Get Down S1
10. Love S1
11. Stranger Things S1
12. Trailer Park Boys S1-3
13. The Night Of S1
14. Game of Thrones S6
15. Silicon Valley S3
16. Veep S5
17. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2
18. Flaked S1
19. Dating Naked S1-2
20. Atlanta S1
21. Red Oaks S2 (S1 rewatch)
22. Mozart in the Jungle S1-2
23. The OC S1 (rewatch)
24. Seinfeld S1-3
25. Westworld (episodes 1-5 and still watching)
26. Vice Principles (episodes 1-5 and dropped for now, may come back)
27. Good Girls Revolt (episodes 1-3 and dropped)
28. Parks and Recreation S1-6

My plan from here is to finish Westworld and start either Black Mirror or The Americans.

WedgeX

Banned
Have to recall what I watched this year and what I just binged from previous years.

1. Stranger Things - Hit me in all the right nostalgia spots at exactly the right time. It lived and died by its use of Stephen King archtypes and I loved it.
  2. Blackish - My favorite comedy on television. Laugh constantly. Learn often. Perhaps had the best single episode of television during the past year. The chance appearances by Lawrence Fishburn.
  3. Arrow - At the beginning of the year I was worried. And then it went and became even greater than before. Perhaps at the expense of the Flash, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the year.
  4. Rectify - Would perhaps be ranked higher. But the gut-wrenching journey of Daniel Holden hurts. And it really should. There are things that we cannot be blind to.
  5. Fresh off the Boat - Nostalgia doing good things again. Glad to see a new take on immigrant families. Constance Wu is the real star.
  6. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - A musical. At times its unthinkable that this made it to broadcast television. And for all the right reasons, it should be on HBO.
  7. Mr. Robot - Love the pacing and unreliable narration, even if I get confused at times about how it really views society.
  8. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - An absolute joy to watch. Optimism that cannot be downtrodden. If a day has been particularly bad this is perfect to revisit.
  9. Supergirl - Another show treading in optimism. At times it loses its footing. But when it finds it, such as the first two episodes of the second season, its on par with Arrow.
  10. Gilmore Girls: appropriately subtitled - Great to see the characters. Not always in love with the direction things went. But I suppose that's life.

Honorable Mentions:
Jane the Virgin
Man in the High Castle
Luke Cage

Voras

1. Atlanta ; There is nothing else on TV quite like Atlanta. It is such a unique and incredible show from week to week, often with episodes being done in radically different styles than previous episodes. The acting is phenomenal, the writing is great, and the music selection is so on point. I knew Donald Glover was talented but this is a whole new level for him, this show is a work of genius.

2. Mr. Robot ; Mr. Robot feels like a show that is micro-targeted at me specifically. The combination of programming, 80s nostalgia, and social anxiety just hits all of the exact right notes for me. And all of that is brought together by a fantastic cast with even the supporting actors often stealing scenes. I have so much respect for the incredible work that Sam Esmail does and him taking the director chair this year totally paid off. Also ALF.

3. The Americans ; What can I say, The Americans is pretty consistently been the best thing on TV for the last four years. The only reason it isn't number 1 on my list is because Atlanta is such a new and radically different thing and Mr. Robot is like exactly the thing I want from TV. I think The Americans is probably a better made show than Mr. Robot and if this weren't the fourth season of it I would probably rank it higher. That's not to say that the show has declined at all, it's actually quite the opposite. I think season 4 is the best season of an incredible series, it's more to do with the fact that Mr. Robot and Atlanta were much more of a surprise to me whereas I knew that The Americans would continue to be fantastic. They really ramped up into some incredible moments this year. And it's also one of the only shows I watch that manages to do the small personal scenes as well as it does bigger action moments. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russel need to win some awards before this show is over.

4. Stranger Things ; 80s nostalgia, DnD, small town scifi conspiracies. This show came out of nowhere and blew me away. Seriously, how did they find kids who weren't terrible actors? They somehow hit the casting jackpot. There were a few spots, particularly some bad CG but overall this show was one of the highlights of the year for me. There are actually a few shows on my list that hit the nostalgia hard but it's actually surprising to me that they made the list because nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia is something I'm pretty adverse to. The shows here like Mr. Robot and Stranger things felt like they really earned the nostalgia.

5. Veep ; Veep is easily one of the best written comedies on TV and managed to surprise in a pretty major way with its season finale this year. They should just rename the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series to the Julia Louis-Dreyfus Award, she is unstoppable.

6. Archer ; Archer is seven seasons in and still one of the funniest things on TV. This is another show that feels super micro-targeted at me, it just hits on all of the right notes with the references and jokes. It's probably the show I quote the most too. I've got family members saying "Phrasing" now.

7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt ; 30 Rock was one of my favorite shows of all time and is easily the show that I've watched the most times through. Kimmy Schmidt is the perfect successor to 30 Rock in so many ways, it's just a delight to watch and there are so many great jokes in Season 2.

8. Silicon Valley ; I may have had some issues with this year's GoT season but even with that the HBO Sunday night block of Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep and John Oliver is insane. Some of the most critically acclaimed shows on television all of the same night. Silicon Valley is hilarious, it has been its entire run. Even more so because it is so spot on with all of the shots that it takes at the entire tech industry. Every season of this show has been a pleasure to watch and I can't wait to see what they tackle next year. My only complaint is that none of these dudes even consider just hiring a UX Designer to fix their clear issue with the usability of their app.

9. Daredevil ; Season 2 is a little bit uneven, particularly the finale. Despite this the first arc of the season was fantastic. All of the Punisher stuff worked so damn well.

10. Limitless ; This show deserved so much better. I really didn't expect anything from this show, especially considering it was a CBS show. I was pleasantly surprised to find something that played within the lines of the procedural while doing a lot of fun things to break out of the mold.

Fail of the Year:

1. Westworld ; People have been raving about this show since it started and after watching a few episodes it just did absolutely nothing for me. My actual problem with the show is it has the pieces to do something great but it just doesn't do anything terribly interesting or all the new with them. If you're going to do a show about A.I. becoming human or at least self-aware then I really would like to see a new take on it. It feels so much more concerned with trying to build up mysteries than actually develop characters in interesting ways.

1. Bojack Horseman
2. Vice Principals
3. Better Call Saul
4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
6. Fargo
7. The Last Man on Earth
8. Brooklyn 99
9. Lady Dynamite
10. South Park
11. Flaked
12. Atlanta
13. Stranger Things
14. Love
15. Black Mirror

Nabs

73Mpo0C.png

1. Atlanta
2. iZombie
3. 11.22.63
4. Arrow
5. Luke Cage
6. Mr. Robot
7. Insecure
8. Legends of Tomorrow
9. The Flash
10. The Night Of

1. Person of Interest
2. Gotham
3. Westworld
4. Game of Thrones
5. Arrow
6. Stranger Things
7. 11.22.63
8. Black Sails
9. Agents of Shield(biggest improvement)
10. Designated Survivor

Largest decline:
Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
1. Daredevil ; The first four episodes of this season arguably make up the best superhero content ever adapted to the screen.

2. Stranger Things ; I'm not usually into horror, but this show was flat-out fantastic.

3. Person of Interest ; The show got a relatively short 13 episodes to finish up its story, and it did a damn good job of it.

4. The Expanse ; This show technically aired its last couple of episodes in 2016, so I'm counting it. Basically it's the space show I've been waiting for all my life.

5. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ; The comedy doesn't necessarily always work 100 percent, but it hits most of the time. Manages to be better at researching and delivering stories than pretty much anything else on cable TV.

6. Luke Cage ; A little weaker in the second half, but still a far better Luke Cage adaptation than I ever imagined we could get.

7. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD ; While the ratings have been trending downward, this show has quietly taken up the mantle of the best full season comic book show on TV.

That's all for now, I guess.

LotusHD

Banned
1. Atlanta - This show was the surprise hit for me and many others. I'm just floored at how incredibly hilarious it was, while also managing to be poignant concerning issues that undeniably speak to me as a black man at the same time. And on a more incredible note, this show just says fuck the rules that most TV shows follow, and instead embraces the surreal. To have a show where its universe can show you whatever the hell it wants, where I had no idea what to expect each week, in its first season no less, is an incredible feat. I thought this would be a simple show about two cousins trying to make something of themselves, but it's far, far, more than that. I don't know if the show counts as slice-of-life or whatever; all I know is that I need the second season to hurry the hell up. Additionally, Episode 7 in particular is easily the funniest TV episode I've watched in years. If you haven't already, please watch it! You're doing yourself a disservice by missing out on this show. Donald Glover deserves all the awards in the world for creating this beautiful world.

2. Better Call Saul - When this show first came out, I somewhat dreaded it, because spinoffs in general just aren't very good, especially if compared to the masterpiece Breaking Bad was. Furthermore, it seemed like it would be difficult to create a compelling show about a lawyer (despite how lovable he is) that doesn't exactly give off the impression that he can carry an entire show. And yet... he can, and the rest of the cast is amazing too. This season in particular was even better than the last one, notably due to the performances of both Rhea Seehorn (Kim) and Michael McKean (Chuck). Also... that ending. Can't wait for Season 3!

3. Bojack Horseman - This show would've been the top comedy for me had it not been for Atlanta's unexpected quality. Initially I wasn't too crazy about the premise and the character designs, but it eventually grew on me. The humor, the puns, the dialogue, all of which excels even more when it goes to darker places, is just something I feel could only be truly appreciated due to it being a cartoon, thereby making it a lot easier to digest. (But not by much). This third season further deconstructs what it means to be a shitty person, the type of person whose existence seemingly makes others' lives worse just by being around them. And that even when you realize said shittiness, it's difficult to successfully break that cycle. It's a bleak yet hilarious tale, but when all is said and done, it does give you genuine hope that it's not yet too late to become a better person.

4. The Americans - Normally this would be in my Top 3, but the current seasons of the aforementioned shows were just a bit more excellent and memorable this year. But as usual, this show continues to be consistent in its high quality. Each year, the situation has only gotten increasingly suffocating for both ourselves and our leads, and it'll likely increase come next year. Furthermore, it had arguably the most realistic and poignant death scene of the year, which even brought a few tears to my eyes. It deserves more viewers, so please check it out.

5. Westworld - As soon as I saw that it aimed to be the "next Game of Thrones", I was intrigued. No idea what it was about when I first watched it, but the performances nonetheless enticed to continue watching, and I'm certainly glad I did. It's nice to watch a show that's comfortable with a slow-burn approach, because when it pays off, it really fucking pays off.

6. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Who would've thought that one of the best shows out right now would be on the CW? The songs (with lyrics that are often relatable as hell) , the cringe humor, the dialogue, the acting and performances, so much of this show contains such a staggering amount of high quality that it is just hard to believe it exists sometimes.

7. Game of Thrones - This season was a slightly nervous one for fans, myself included, because without a book to properly guide it, it'd be easy to assume that the quality would just take an unfortunate nosedive. And yet, it seems that not being tethered to the book gave the show more freedom than it has arguably ever had, resulting in a quality season where a lot of shit simply got done to say the least, and giving us an episode so grandiose you'd swear you were watching a high-budget movie instead.

8. Stranger Things - The show many were obsessed with this summer, and for good reason. Just felt like a very long, very good movie with numerous stand-out performances, the kids in particular being a highlight.

9. Bates Motel - This season went where we dreaded it would one day go, and I'm extremely excited to see where it goes next from here.

10. Mr. Robot - Great season once again, albeit plagued a little too much by sluggish pacing, hence its spot at the bottom of this list.

Fails of the Year:

1. Walking Dead - Still annoyed as hell by having to wait so long after such a stupid cliffhanger. What makes it even worse is that the current season somehow manages to be just so utterly boring each week, that it took the midseason finale to very slightly restore my waning interest in this show.

2. The Night Of - The first episode was perfection. The rest of the show unfortunately was just never able to match that, and had quite a few scenes that just had you wondering what was the point of it all. It's not necessarily some garbage show by any means, but the finale having something I typically loathe in not just TV, but any medium: A weak ending. So I put it here just because I'm disappointed in the potential that was simply squandered.

3. Empire - Wasn't exactly ever a masterpiece, but the later seasons have managed to become even more over the top and ridiculous, and not at all in a good way. Just had to stop watching it at some point, for my own sake.

Zero315

Banned
Okay, now to remember everything I've watched this year....

1. Shameless; With two seasons having aired this year Emmy Rossum cements her status as the most overlooked actress on television, IMO. It's funny, dramatic, but most of all its got heart and the season 7 finale is one of the few tv moments to make me tear up this year. #GiveEmmyanEmmy

2. Atlanta; Being a fan of Doanld Glover, I was already expecting this to be good. With that being said, it still managed to take me by surprise. It had me from the opening minutes of the first episode, when during an argument between Paper Boi and a random couple someone off-screen yells out "Worldstar!", and it never let go. "$1.49? ...but the price is on the can, though."

3. The Get Down; A fantastical look at the birth of hip hop/rap in the Bronx. Wonderfully acted with fantastic music. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

4. Stranger Things; Despite the fact that the internet tried its best to ruin this show for me, I still love it. Binged it about a week or so after it came out. They manage to capture the time period and theme perfectly, it's a shame they were turned away from so many networks. Then again, if they weren't we probably wouldn't have gotten the same show or that amazing performance from Wynona Ryder.

5. Luke Cage; Sweet Christmas, Luke Cage was awesome. Season 1 of Luke Cage is probably the best season of the Marvel Netflix shows.

6. Game of Thrones; This season was a return to form after a couple lackluster seasons.

7. Arrow; Like my number six pick, this season has been a return to form for the show. While I don't think the last couple were as terrible as some people do, this seeason has definitely been an improvement so far.

8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend; Binged the first season on Netflix over the summer and wondered where the hell they could go from there, but they managed to pull it off. Something this show has in common with my number one is that it's got a lot of heart. Supremely funny and some surprisingly heartfelt moments early on this season with Greg that really caught me off guard.

9. iZombie; I feel like a lot of shows that have solid first seasons end up blowing the second. This wasn't the case with iZombie, in fact I'd say the show got even better and feels like it's found its groove.

10. Supergirl; Melissa Benoist is just a ray of sunshine and work they've been doing on Alex's storyline/character has been really good this year.

Honorable Mentions

Flash; I still love it, but there was just too much good this year.
Outcast; Loved what I watched, but didn't finish the season so I wouldn't have felt comfortable putting it up there without seeing if they stick the landing.
Preacher; Liiked what I saw, even though it was kinda boring. Haven't finished the season.
Insecure; Again, haven't finished the season but liked what I've seen.
The Walking Dead; I just love watching Jeffrey Dean Morgan hamming it up.
Orange is the New Black; A smaller focus on Piper made for a much better season.

Fails of the Year

1. 2016 Presidential Election Coverage; Damn near every network should be ashamed of themselves. Especially the 24 hour news stations.

2. American Horror Story: Whatever The Fuck They Ended Up Calling This Season; They managed to pull me back in after I gave up halfway through Freakshow by trying (and failing) to keep the theme of this season a mystery. Show needs to be renamed to American Horror Story: Wasted Potential.

3. The Night Of; Started out very promising, I loved the first episode. Sadly though, I called the bullshit ending halfway through the season. Dropping interesting storylines in favor of ones that were boring and went nowhere, along with the prison sotryline in the back half and just... some really baffling character decisions/motivations at the end made the entire thing fall apart.

Violet_0

Banned
1. Westworld ; most captivating show of the year for me
2. Game of Throne ; a pleasant surprise after the very bad S5
3. Steven Universe ; while I'm not particularly happy with the direction the show has been taking lately it's still enjoyable
4. Black Mirror
5. Penny Dreadful
6. Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
7. Southpark

I mostly watched older shows/seasons this year - Sopranos, Vikings, Saul, Homeland and so on. This thread reminds me that I still need to check out BoJack

noomi

1. Westworld
2. Black Mirror Season 3
3. Mr Robot Season 2
4. Stranger Things
5. Narcos Season 2
6. Better Call Saul Season 2
7. Bates Motel Season 4
8. 11.22.63
9. Vice Principals
10. American Horror Story Season 6

Sloane

Banned
Best
1. The Americans ; Wasn't my favorite season since they seemed to repeat a lot of what already had been said last year -- but I still liked it better than anything else in 2016. Speaks for the quality of the show.
2. Planet Earth 2 ; Has to be seen to be believed, incredible work all around. I sometimes wish they would explain in a bit more detail how exactly they take all those amazing pictures, then again that's probably part of the magic.
3. American Crime Story ; Compelling story, fantastic cast.
4. Better Call Saul ; I didn't expect this show to be good when the idea first came up but I couldn't have been more wrong. It feels like a natural part of the Breaking Bad universe without too heavily leaning on its parent so far -- although I can't wait to see Gus again.
5. The Night Manager ; One of the most beautifully show TV shows I have ever seen, production values were through the roof. Also, leagues ahead of the last three Bond movies.
6. This is Us ; Had no idea what to expect going in but Fogelman really knows what he's doing in this genre -- great cast, strong dialogue, interesting characters. Hope they don't overdue it with the twists in the long run.
7. Veep ; Again not my favorite season of the show but still a whole lot funnier than anything else I have seen this year. Switching showrunners definitely had a bit of an impact but a lesser one than expected.
8. Atlanta ; It's hard to describe the show to someone and thus difficult to put the finger on why exactly it's so good -- I think the best I can do is that it feels a bit like Donald Glover's (much more melancholic) version of, I'm not sure, Seinfeld or Louie?
9. Game of Thrones ; I still like it but I'm also glad it's ending soon.
10. Pitch ; Was a toss-up between this and Vice Principals because Pitch definitely had its flaws (the flashbacks, the love story, the final episode) but overall it was a charming, optimistic, fun little show. Hope there will be more.

Fail
1. The Good Wife ; What an awful ending to a show that was often fantastic for four to five seasons.
2. Netflix ; I don't really like a single show they've put out this year. I'm not sure if the writing is actually influenced by Big Data as some suspect but at times it definitely feels like it. Also, their superhero shows look like crap considering the budget they most certainly have.
3. Designated Survivor ; If I found out this show was written by an AI that had been fed every "thriller" of the last twenty years, I wouldn't be surprised. And yet I keep watching it for some reason.

dracula_x

1. The Expanse
2. The Get Down
3. Better Call Saul
4. The OA
5. Vikings
6. Stranger Things
7. Mr. Robot
8. Supernatural
9. Black Mirror
10. Love

Sunster

1. Stranger Things
2. Westworld
3. Bojack
4.Atlanta
5.Last Week Tonight
6.House of Cards
7.Transparent
8.The Get Down
9.Silicon Valley
10.Veep

1. Stranger Things
2. Silicon Valley
3. Person of Interest
4. Game of Thrones
5. Wesworld
6. Daredevil
7. Black Mirror
8. Limitless
9. Last Man on Earth
10. Designated Survivor

Sephzilla

1- Game of Thrones
2- Arrow
3- Stranger Things
4- Daredevil
5- Supergirl
6- Mr Robot
7- The Flash
8- Luke Cage
9- DC's Legends of Tomorrow
10- South Park

Game of Thrones season 6 was an amazingly solid season and a tremendous bounce back from season 5.

Arrow season 5 has been absolutely killing it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel much more prepared for this year than last's.

1. Person of Interest ; Definitely an incredible ending for a great show, if you haven't seen it yet, it's great.

2. Stranger Things ; Perhaps the best thing that Netflix has produced, I never thought I'd be so giddy with a show like this.

3. Westworld ; From the creator of Person of Interest, comes this show that continues some of the questions arised from Person of Interest about AI, however it goes even further by anthropomorphozing said AI, making more questions about morality.

4. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ; Probably one of my favorite commentators ever, doing thorough investigations on often-ignored topics, and have some fun skits sometimes.

5. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee ; I think my previous comment can also be included here.

Fail of the year :

2016 US Presidential Election Coverage ; like come on, you gave free advertising to Donald Trump, enabling him to become President-elect. Even CNN, who covered lots of rallies of Trump, had their CEO realize how stupid they were. Nothing to do, the damage's done.

1. The Americans ; Favorite currently-airing show. Introduce new stakes each season and it's thrilling.

2. O.J.: Made in America ; A chilling and in-depth understanding of America's race relations in the nineties coming to a head w/ the Trial of the Century.

3. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story ; I thought this was going to be terrible but the cast nails it.

4. Atlanta ; Witty, genuine, and overall funny and insightful comedy/drama from Donald Glover.

5. Halt and Catch Fire ; I love how this show is not afraid to go far with its characters amidst the PC revolution of the eighties.

6. Game of Thrones ; Fell off, jumped back on. Probably the most thrilling season yet and went all out to be entertaining.

7. The Crown ; Historical context/liberties aside, I found it fascinating watching these characters try to make the best of a bad situation. Enjoyed Matt Smith as Prince Philip especially.

8. Stranger Things ; The Duffers did a very good job tapping into the Spielberg-ian eighties and I'll happily lap that up. Hopefully David Harbour breaks out.

9. Narcos ; Enjoyed S1 but S2 really stepped it up in pacing and drama... and body count.

10. Mr. Robot ; Although I felt like Esmail needs to be reined in a bit, at the same time I still enjoyed how cerebral S2 went.

HM:
Luke Cage
Daredevil
Veep
The Night Of
Orange Is the New Black

Fail of the Year:
2016 US Presidential Election Coverage
Thursday Night Football ; The best of game of TNF was between the Jets and the Bills... back in, like, September... woof...

fake spoiler
I still have to start this current Rectify season ;_;

Bigfoot

1. The Walking Dead ; I know it gets tons of hate but it entertains me immensely at that's all that matters
2. Game of Thrones ; Still great
3. The Flash ; Best now that the other DC shows have fallen off
4. Stranger Things ; Loved this. Perfect length too and didn't wear out it's welcome.
5. Black Mirror ; Good to have this back although I've only watched 4 of the 6
6. The Goldbergs ; Nostalgia the show
7. The Big Bang Theory ; One of the few shows I watch with my wife
8. Gotham ; Season 2 was amazing and love the Bullock - Gordon relationship
9. Archer ; Still makes me laugh
10. Daredevil ; As with all Netflix Marvel shows it falls apart half way through but The Punisher was awesome.

Fail of the Year

Agent Carter ; I watch all things DC and Marvel so I forced myself to watch two seasons of this boring show. It's only saving graces are that she's hot at times and that it is cancelled so I don't have to watch it anymore.

Edit: It still seems off to do the at the end of the year instead of in the summer when's most of the seasons have ended. A good example is Arrow - season 4 was awful but season 5 is decent so far. It's hard to put it on a list for that reason.

milanbaros

Member?
1. Happy Valley
2. The Night Manager
3. War and Peace
4. Hypernornalisation
5. Peaky Blinders
6. Planet Earth 2
7. Fleabag
8. Louis Theroux: Savile
9. Louis Theroux: Drinking to Oblivion
10. Black Mirror

1. Halt & Catch Fire - Outside of The Leftovers (which didn't air this year) it is the most criminally under-watched show on television. So happy about it getting one last season.

2. Atlanta - What an original series. Donald Glover is a true renaissance man.

3. Quarry - Top notch acting and directing. Would of been my surprise of the year, but another show took that.

4. Mr. Robot - The season at times about lost me due to frustration, but the mystery of the show carried me all the way to the finale.

5. Silicon Valley - I have a thing for shows about people who work in tech.

6. Game of Thrones - Great season to my favorite series currently still airing.

7. Love - This show just put it's hooks in me. This is my surprise series of the year.

8. Stranger Things - As a child/teenager of the 80's who grew up on Stephen King I had no choice but to love it.

9. The Americans - It keeps getting better with every season.

10. Westworld - This show has lots of flaws (writing and character development), and has to be the most overhyped show of 2016, but I still liked it. The foundation is there for a great show. Can they step it up in season 2?

HM:

OITNB & House of Cards (both returned with better seasons in 2016)
Goliath
The Crown (so tempted to but it above Westworld)

Fail

Jessica Jones - What a waste. Started out strong, but was about 4 episodes too long. Also so many missed opportunities to be great.

The Big Bang Theory - It is now 100%, a relationship comedy.

Azzanadra

As always I don't even watch that many shows to begin with, but here goes-

1. Better Call Saul ; Almost forgot about it because of how it came out at the beginning if the year, but the writing is just as good as Breaking bad ever was, somehow elevating simple meandering life activity into high tragedy.

2. Westworld ; It was the show I was most looking forward too, and while it was disappointing on some fronts, overall the mystery had me enthralled from beginning to end.

3. Stranger Things ; After everyone and their mom recommended me to watch this thing, I had to give it a look - and it did not disappoint. I didn't grow up in the eighties, but its nostalgia was potent nonetheless.

4. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ; This guy is the new John Stewart, I love his work and honestly can't wait for more.

5. The Walking Dead ; Yeah yeah the show is the same thing over and over again, you're going to stop watching after every episode etc. But the fact that these haters keep on coming back must mean the show is doing something right.

6. Game of Thrones ; The writing has fully embraced the stupidity of season 5, but at least at this point its entertaining, and to finally see what happens next as a book reader was worth it despite the flaws of this season.

As for fails, there is only one that truly qualifies:

1. 2016 Election Coverage

1. O.J.: Made in America; Everything you could hope for in a comprehensive, engaging, and structurally satisfying documentation of all the craziness in O.J.'s life and how it reflected America at the time. Amazing television.

2. Better Call Saul; An uneccessary spin off the continues to defy odds in its quality by maintaining its own identity and dedication to the progression of its characters.

3. The Night Of; As unrelentingly intense as it is slow paced, this measured look into the criminal justice system may lack excitement for those looking for more of a who-dunnit, but offers great character work and exceptional direction even if it falters slightly towards the finish line.

4. Black Mirror; The Twilight Zone of era, season 3 proved a seamless transition to Netflix with a suite of episodes that may range in quality, but continue to offer a mostly horrifying look at technology through robustly creative and engaging episodes.

5. Silicon Valley; While not as strong as prior seasons, Silicon Valley remains perhaps the funniest on air, carefully mining comedy out of legitimate high stakes drama.

6. Game of Thrones; After feeling apathetic towards the show the past few seasons, the back half of season 6 pulled me right back in with tightly crafted drama and a marked improvement in visual storytelling and editing necessary to capture the drama for a large scale fantasy tableau. The final two episodes are some of the best of the year.

7. Westworld; Its ideas feel a tad familiar to other well worn sci fi stories, and I was dissapointed that it didn't really offer the visuals or exciting action I would expect out of a big budget take on the Wild West side of the coin, I was nonetheless impressed with its dedication to its concept, and a structure that becomes far more engaging after a few twists, turns, and narrative reframings, even if it sags under the weight of its exposition at times.

8. The Night Manager; A solid straightforward spy thriller that brings a pleasingly low key variation of James Bond style espionage to the small screen. It doesn't have lofty ambitions, and plays as expected, but it's well crafted and sometimes that's all you need for a good old fashioned soy romp.

Glaring omissions for me thus far are finishing up Bojack Season 3, and catching OJ Simpson vs the People and Narcos season 2, but I'm not sure if I'll get to them by the end of the year.

Close but no cigar: Stranger Things, Mr. Robot, and Daredevil.

Jigorath

Banned
I still haven't seen Westworld or Atlanta, but oh well.

1. The Americans ; Yep, still the best show on television.

2. Black Sails ; It has pirates, tons of scheming and backstabbing, and some of the best directed action scenes I've ever seen on a TV show. Why do the Pirates of the Caribbean movies make like a billion dollars but nobody watches this?

3. Stranger Things ; I think this is the most entertaining thing Netflix has ever produced. I could not stop watching after I started.

4. Bojack Horseman ; Hilarious comedy and a touching character drama rolled into one.

5. The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story ; Honestly shocked with how good this was. The performances were amazing across the board, and the writers
did a great job showing the racial tensions that took over the case.

6. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee ; Bee does not hold back with her biting commentary and thank God for that. She's both hilarious and incredibly insightful.

7. Vice Principals ; As far as comedies go this one's pretty dark, but thanks to the writing and the performances it worked for me. One of my favorite comedies of the year.

8. Game of Thrones ; I think this was my FOTY last year. It's not so terrible anymore.

9. Veep ; Probably the weakest season yet, still pretty funny though.

10. The Crown ; It's very slow, and the subject matter definitely isn't for everyone, but it's exquisitely made and has unbelievable production values. I honestly have no clue how this show looks as good as it does.

Kalor

1. Better Call Saul
2. Game of Thrones
3. Westworld
4. The Night Manager
5. Black Mirror
6. Planet Earth II
7. Bojack Horseman
8. Stranger Things
9. House of Cards
10. O.J. Made In America

Catvoca

Banned
I didn't watch too much new stuff this year, definitely not my finest top 10 list. A lot of my faves from last year skipped 2016 (Looking at you Nathan For You, Master of None and Review!), I felt disappointed in some of the bigger shows I follow (Daredevil, Black Mirror) and spent way too much time watching older stuff (Mad Men is amazing though, as is Banshee, for totally different reasons.)

1. Orange is the New Black
2. Bojack Horseman
3. The People v. OJ. Simpson: American Crime Story
4. Comedy Bang Bang!
5. Lady Dynamite
6. Silicon Valley
7. Taskmaster
8. The Chris Gethard Show ; Do yourself a favour and watch one of the best hours of TV this year
9. Game of Thrones
10. Brooklyn nine-nine

Szeth

1. Game of Thrones
2. Stranger Things
3. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
4. Horace and Pete
5. The Americans
6. Halt and Catch Fire
7. Rectify
8. Black Mirror
9. Atlanta
10. This is Us

LotusHD

Banned
Which one?

Nina's death. I dunno, I probably exaggerated a bit, but it really got me. There was nothing grandiose about it. No big sendoff or anything. No final close-up. She just died as soon as she was announced to be executed. It just happened so suddenly, it took awhile for it to register in my head. I could say a lot more, but yea, I thought the scene was really well done.

Kvik

I'm surprised at how little of white man TV I watched this year. There's a fair few of shows which I didn't end up finishing, so it didn't make the cut. And so, here we are:

1. Westworld (HBO)
"Have you ever question the nature of your reality?"

I don't know of any other show which commands your attention as much as Westworld this year. The depth of examination about human nature, a ghost in the machine, and what it means to feel alive, and truly know oneself, were some of the things which I feel Westworld does very well. The show wasn't without flaw, but it really excel in what it sets out to do. I, for one, welcomes our new host overlords.

2. Game of Thrones - Season 6 (HBO)
"Hold the Door!!!"

Game of Thrones is truly at its best when killing your beloved characters in the most inventive ways possible, but that alone wasn't the only thing which keeps me hooked on the show. It's how the show makes you care about a character and throw them into despair, misery and suffering so great that you can be absolutely certain how they'll end up and swear you'll never watch this show again, but yet, you can't stop watching.

3. Stranger Things (Netflix)
"We're so screwed if it's the demogorgon!"

I practically went in blind into the first episode, I didn't check GAF OT, nor saw any of the trailer, and it truly defies my expectations. I don't know how or where they found these child actors, but they were good. Really good. Hell, they all should be given the admission interview to Julliard School should they want to. Also the story works very well with the time period. I can't imagine a more fitting time for horror stories like this.

4. The OA (Netflix)
"My biggest mistake was believing that if I cast a beautiful net, I will catch beautiful things."

Perhaps a show made only for fans of Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, I know what exactly I'm in for when I saw the first episode of The OA. Like all their works before The OA, you'll have to cast away disbelief and, much like OA says, listen to her story as if you're really there with her. Only then, that this show will truly works for you.

5. Daredevil - Season 2 (Netflix)
"Mr. Castle, thank you. I couldn't have done it without you!"

Perhaps one of the few instances where a guest character outshine the titular character of a series, Jon Bernthal IS The Punisher. The plight of Frank Castle translates very well from the pages of Punisher MAX, even moreso than the Punisher depicted in feature films of recent memory.

6. Midnight Diner/[Shinya Shokudou] - Season 4 (Netflix)
"As the day comes to an end, and people make their way home, my own day begins."

An adaptation of a slice-of-life manga Shinya Shokudo by Abe Yaro, I was pleasantly surprised that Netflix actually fork out the money to make a fourth season of this series. As with other slice-of-life series of this nature, each episode is standalone and, more often than not, ends in a bitter-sweet and nostalgic way. We even have a makeshift OT for this, although sadly, not many Gaffers visited.

7. The Night Of (HBO)
"Everyone's got a cross to bear, Nas;pardon the expression. Fuck 'em all. Live your life."

I swear I saw Riz Ahmed in every third show/movie I saw. Anyway, the story of Nas was a tragic one, one that can befall anyone, or like any one of us whom just looking for a night out. For all his flaws and wrong decisions he made along the way, in the end you can't help thinking that he wasn't deserve any of it. Although the story seems a bit uneven at times, the show came out well enough in the end.

jett

D-Member
1. Westworld
2. Black Sails
3. Planet Earth II
4. Game of Thrones
5. Archer
6. Halt and Catch Fire
7. Silicon Valley
8. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
9. The Grand Tour
10. Better Call Saul

Fail of the year:
1. Night Of ; This show started out incredibly promising. Went to shit in a flash.

Blader

1. Game of Thrones

2. O.J.: Made in America

3. The Americans

4. Atlanta

5. Westworld

6. The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

7. Better Call Saul

8. Rectify

9. Horace and Pete

10. The Girlfriend Experience

Fail of the Year
Arrow S4:
So bad that it not only convinced me to drop the show entirely, but to drop Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow too. What a disappointment. I've heard the show has rebounded, but I just don't feel the urge to even try it again, which is a shame because I used to *really* like this show, even with all its flaws. My True Detective S2 of the year.

Empty

1. o.j: made in america
2. horace and pete
3. rectify
4. the night manager
5. people just do nothing

fail: amazon's woody allen show. something so inconsequentially mediocre and pointless everyone forgot it even existed the moment it released. i cannot even remember the title and i watched two episodes. or was it three. i will never know.

LotusHD

Banned
Fail of the Year
Arrow S4:
So bad that it not only convinced me to drop the show entirely, but to drop Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow too. What a disappointment. I've heard the show has rebounded, but I just don't feel the urge to even try it again, which is a shame because I used to *really* like this show, even with all its flaws. My True Detective S2 of the year.

This is its best season since Season 2, so maybe sleep on it lol

Blader

This is its best season since Season 2, so maybe sleep on it lol

ha, so I've heard. But I saw the 100th episode as part of the crossover, which I thought was fine but didn't really make me feel like I was missing anything. Ollie having a JV team hanging around seems like an instant turn off.

fail: amazon's woody allen show. something so inconsequentially mediocre and pointless everyone forgot it even existed the moment it released. i cannot even remember the title and i watched two episodes. or was it three. i will never know.

Actually, this would've probably been my fail of the year too if I remembered it. I only saw the first three episodes before completely dropping off. Just terrible. Though I think Woody as an actor is still plenty fine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt watch many of this year's seasons as im at least 1 year behind on most stuff since I mostly use netflix for shows now, and since I assume this is only for current season shows, I don't have 10 shows to list. Still:

1. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency; I love me weird ass shows and it doesnt get much weirder than this. Loved every bit of it, and im kinda shocked how well it wrapped up considering its a time travel story. Cant wait for season 2.

2. Stranger Things; Have I said I love me weird ass shit? The CGI was a but spotty nut that doesn't hurt what was a wonderful first season. Kids were fantastic, they didn't feel like typical hollywood kid actors. Im not sure I like where they are going with season 2 since this was so self contained but I'm glad there's more coming.

3. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt; While not as strong as season 1, its still one of the funniest shows around, and still has a ton of heart. Titus still steals the show and Tina Fey's new cameo was much better than her season 1 character.

4. Daredevil; while the second half of the season fell apart a bit, the first half with the Punisher stuff is fantastic. They need to wrap up the ninja shit in Defenders and do Kingpin / Bullseye next tho.

5. Last Chance U; I dont even care about American football and I loved this. Its like real life Fruday Night Lights, right down to the counsellor being a real life Tammy lol.

6. Lady Dynamite; very strange show with a particular style of humour that wont resonate with everyone but I really enjoyed it. Its not something you will laugh out loud at but its smart and very bizarre which we have established is my thing.

7. Luke Cage; Very different vibe from the rest of the Marvel stuff but I was into it. People shit on Mike's acting but I think he's gine, I dunno. Again, as usual with Marvel shows, its too long and falters a bit nearbthe end but I still enjoyed it. Im just glad these things exist man, my inner child needs it ;_;

The rest was all shows from 2015 or seasons from 2015. Like I would put Master of None up there (quite high) but it came out in November 2015.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So we're counting shows that began their seasons in 2015 but ended this year? The Expanse might slip in for me then.

There is so much I'm behind on or haven't begun that I anticipate really liking... feel bad even trying to put a list together.

Yeah, but speaking of, who else can't wait for some Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ewan McGregor, and Carrie Coon excitement next year! Man, that's gonna be so good. Guaranteed top 10 spot?
Excited for the cast except Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Maybe Fargo can finally make me see something in her like it did for Kirsten Dunst.

1. Rectify
2. The Americans
3. Americans Crime Story: People vs. OJ
4. Atlanta
5. Insecure
6. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
7. BoJack Horseman
8. Stranger Things
9. Better Call Saul
10. Person of Interest

Decado

Great year for tv. Looking forward to 2017.

1. Game of Thrones; one of the most entertaining seasons yet.
2. Westworld; violent and fascinating. HBO hasn't had many strong outings lately so this was great to see.
3. Vikings; very entertaining s4pt1. Hope pacing doesn't suffer with the new format.
4. Peaky Blinders; can feel a bit slow at times, but it has brilliant performances and an amazing setting/atmosphere.
5. Black Sails; best season by far. It has been a hit and miss show but it is coming together.
6. Stranger Things; great entertainment. Nailed the 80s feel.
7. Daredevil; Punisher stole the show. Season wouldn't have been very good without him.
8. Quarry; slower than I was expecting, but a solid drama and the violence had impact.
9. The Expanse; Best season of tv Syfy has done since the better Battlestar seasons.
10. Penny Dreadful; final season is easily the best. Quite a bit of action. As tradition demands a couple painfully slow episodes included.

Fail - Marco Polo; guilty pleasure of mine. Daft they tacked on a cliffhanger just to cancel it.

Still to watch (possible top 10 contenders based on my preferences):

Like Cage
The Americans (would be watched but PVR missed first two eps)
Archer
Planet Earth 2
War & Peace
Preacher
Narcos (loved s1)

KooopaKid

Banned
1. Game Of Thrones ; Still the most captivating show for me.
2. Westworld ; Very interesting premise and great production values as usual.

Nobility

Banned
1. Person of Interest; Goodnight sweet prince, I will always remember you.
2. Westworld;
3. Atlanta;
4. The Americans;
5. Stranger Things;
6. Mr. Robot;
7. O.J.: Made in America;
8. The Night Manager;
9. Americans Crime Story: People vs. OJ;
10. Luke Cage;

Fail of the year:

CNN; all of it

Status