• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Sean

Banned
The Orville - 0.8

and that's on a good day. Might even hit 0.6 if the people that bail out after five minutes are not included in the rating.

edit: if the football lead-in compensates for it, then you can expect this rating for the second episode.

I believe it has football lead-in for the entire month of September. So the ratings are gonna be inflated until like episode 5 or whenever it moves to the regular time slot on Thursdays.

I'll guess a 2.1 for the premiere.

berzeli

Banned
‘Monster’: Starz Acquires Norwegian Serial Killer Thriller For U.S.
Starz has acquired U.S. premium pay-TV rights to Norwegian mystery drama thriller Monster. Created by headwriter Hans Christian Storrøsten and director Anne Sewitsky, it’s produced by NRK Drama. The seven-episode serial killer series has also just won the 2017 European Script Award for Most Innovative Script of the Year by a newcomer.
Did not see this one coming. At all. I mean like four people are going to watch it, but it is cool to see that it gets picked up at all, and by a non-nice outlet at that.

(shame that the show is looking kind of bad, in dialogue/story terms - the cinematography is excellent)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you guys seem strangely quiet about Bojack Horseman being back btw.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be honest, I haven't finished Narcos yet and Netflix really needs to stop releasing a new show every week. I only just finished 100 Million Yen Women.

watership

I'm so gutted that they cancelled Dark Matter. It looked like it had a solid story arc underway. Breaks my heart when space sci-fis get cancelled when they are so very rare to begin with. Seldom have I wished for Netflix to pick up and continue a show like I have for DM.

While I liked the actors and their respective characters, the overall arc in that show was going nowhere. It lacked a direction and felt like they had no idea where they were going with the show.

Soulfire

Just watched Orville on Hulu, reviews were right. It seriously has no idea what it wants to be. Just when you're thinking it's going to be like a Star Trek workplace drama they have to throw in a few jokes and it breaks the flow. If it could pick one it might be okay, maybe.

Aiii

So not worth it
Todd is not amused: https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/11/16244894/fall-tv-2017-bad

This is the worst fall for new TV shows in the decade I’ve been a professional TV critic. And it’s hard to find one much worse in all the years I’ve been cognizant of “new fall TV” as a concept, since the late ’80s.

The comedies didn’t make me laugh. The dramas made me roll my eyes. Even with the boom in platforms making new TV, there’s but one show I’d recommend wholeheartedly and a smattering of others that made me say, “There could be something there if they work out the kinks.” The vast, vast majority of the new shows — whether on broadcast or cable or streaming — are just plain bad.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Gonna have to wait a while on those Orrville ratings — Irma delays the ratings

Ratings for Sunday 9.10.2017 will be delayed, as Nielsen closed it national data center in the Tampa area Sunday with Hurricane Irma approaching. No word yet when the data center will re-open and when the staff will be able to return to work.

Chitown B

To be honest, I haven't finished Narcos yet and Netflix really needs to stop releasing a new show every week. I only just finished 100 Million Yen Women.

you could just be selective. I've never heard of that show and I watch a lot of TV.

berzeli

Banned

I've stated before that I have a high tolerance for VanDerWerff, but fucking hell this is poor.

It only takes until the third paragraph until the flaws with this premise starts coming:
Now, to be sure, there are some heavily anticipated shows I have yet to see.
So you're saying there's a chance for redemption? And to be clear
The vast, vast majority of the new shows — whether on broadcast or cable or streaming
There's still a bunch of Netflix fare (Godless, Midnhunter, American Vandal), cable (The Alienist, The Terror, Liar, The Last O.G.), and um maybe The Gifted won't suck on broadcast or something.
“Hey, The Deuce is good!” But if they’re not fans of David Simon or James Franco, or if they don’t have HBO, well
This right here is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen him put forward. It's literally applicable to all of the highly rated 2016 rated shows he mentions:
This Is Us - But if they're not fans of Dan Fogelman or Milo Ventimiglia's butt or have cut the cord, well.
Insecure - But if they're not fans of Issa Rae, or Issa Rae, or if they don't have HBO, well.
One Mississippi - But if they're not fans of Diablo Cody, or Tig Notaro or if they don't have Amazon Prime, well.

Yes I understand that the point is that the best reviewed show of the season is a bit niche and nothing else (so far) is a clear recommendation, but that's not really a reason to just dismiss it.

There is definitely a case to be made that this season is dire, especially on trad broadcast. I just don't think this article is making a compelling case for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you wanted to expand that number to include cable shows, HBO had Insecure, while FX had both Atlanta and Better Things. On the streaming front, Netflix offered The Crown, while Amazon had One Mississippi and Fleabag.

Fall 2016 cable/streaming, good according to Todd:
Atlanta: September 6
Better Things: September 8
One Mississippi: September 9
Fleabag: September 16
Insecure: October 9
The Crown: November 4

Fall 2017 cable/streaming, have not I believe been screened for critics:
The Confession Tapes: September 8
The Deuce: September 10
American Vandal: September 15
Ken Burns the Vietnam War: September 17
Star Trek Discovery: September 24
Lore: October 13
Mindhunter: October 13
Godless: November 22
Future Man: November 24

Maybe these will all be bad, but this doesn't exactly seem like it's stacked against 2017 to me, and only the first two and American Vandal have screened for critics, I think?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wasnt American Vandal getting shockingly good reviews?

I guess all of NBC season is cancelled for me, I cant believe local channels still get into disputes with the cable company and dont let them show their channel...I was all hyped for tonights premiere of season 35 of Wheel of Fortune :( :( :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Problem 4: I haven't actually seen the majority of fall debuts that cable and streaming services have to offer this year, yet I'm still comparing this to everything that aired anywhere during fall 2016.

Also, in the current state of peak TV, who is actually complaining that there aren't enough new must-watch shows debuting during a given season? Everyone has a couple dozen great returning shows to keep up with, and everyone has a backlog, too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, in the current state of peak TV, who is actually complaining that there aren't enough new must-watch shows debuting during a given season? Everyone has a couple dozen great returning shows to keep up with, and everyone has a backlog, too.

Ain't that the truth.

Aiii

So not worth it
you could just be selective. I've never heard of that show and I watch a lot of TV.

Who says I'm not selective? Just because you haven't heard of something, doesn't mean it's not great. Which Million Yen Women is, for the record.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Aiii

So not worth it
The Orville isn't actually that bad. Yeah, it is heavily Trek influenced in look and feel, but with a more lighthearted tone due to being a dramedy. I think the critics were way too harsh on this one.

- ‘Vikings' Renewed For Sixth Season By History
History has ordered a 20-episode sixth season of its hit drama series Vikings. The renewal comes ahead of the series' Season 5 premiere in November. In addition, series regular Katheryn Winnick is set to helm one episode in Season 6, marking her directorial debut. Production is slated to begin this fall in Ireland.

The 20-episode fifth season will air in two parts beginning with a two-hour premiere Wednesday, November 29 at 9 PM ET/PT followed by eight episodes airing every Wednesday in the 9 PM slot. The remaining 10 episodes of Season 5 are slated to air in 2018.

Vikings has been a solid ratings performer, with the last season averaging 7.8 million viewers per episode across all platforms. The series is a top five drama across ad-supported cable and averaged 4.1 million total viewers last season in Live+7. Additionally, the series reached 34.3 million total viewers in linear Live+7.

Dysun

Surprised to see Vikings has the green light for at least 40 more episodes.
Season 4:
Especially without Ragnar

‘Monster’: Starz Acquires Norwegian Serial Killer Thriller For U.S.

Did not see this one coming. At all. I mean like four people are going to watch it, but it is cool to see that it gets picked up at all, and by a non-nice outlet at that.

(shame that the show is looking kind of bad, in dialogue/story terms - the cinematography is excellent)

AFAIK the show doesn't debut for another month, and it won some kind of award already. Seems kind of early to write it off...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

TripOpt55

I didn't realize that Hooten & the Lady had been cancelled already. Bummer. It isn't anything I think is a must watch, but I had so much fun watching it. I love treasure-hunting/adventure fiction and it was awesome to get a quality TV show in that vein. I would have loved more stories with these characters. They went to some pretty damn cool locations for the show too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Surprised to see Vikings has the green light for at least 40 more episodes.
Season 4:
Especially without Ragnar

It's a top 5 cable show in the US and one of the 10 biggest shows overall, globally. Michael Hirst met with his bosses earlier this year to hammer out the endgame for the series - assuming they're not saving the "season 6 is the last season" announcement for closer to the season 6 premiere (2019) - it's probably safe to assume we'll get a seventh season as well.

- Warming Glow: AMC Creates An Ad-Free Streaming Option As The Streaming Wars Heat Up
Recently, FX took a step towards entering the streaming wars with a $6 ad-free service being offered to Comcast customers. Now, AMC is joining it, with a new ad-free service similar to FX’s, confirming the streaming wars are heating up.

Disney, Apple, and a host of others have been trying to nip at Netflix’s heels, with mixed success. AMC isn’t quite going there yet: $5 will get you an ad-free channel, only on Comcast for now. That fiver a month lets you watch AMC’s shows, both current and past, streaming in addition to the ad-supported channel on your dial. AMC, for its part, has made it clear you won’t have to subscribe to another service to catch The Walking Dead or Better Call Saul quite yet:

“Our partners understand that AMC has to serve its passionate and ever-changing audiences in new ways on new platforms,” [AMC Networks’ president of ad sales Scott Collins] said. “We’ve made it very clear to everyone that AMC Premiere is an upgrade option we think will appeal to some fans, but a core focus for us very much remains the AMC ad-supported linear and digital environments.”

And even if AMC is thinking of making the jump, it has lucrative deals with Netflix and Hulu to consider, not to mention the challenge of designing and rolling out a vast, Netflix-sized streaming architecture. So this is, for now, just an option for fans who don’t like ads, and have an extra $5 to spare. Still, the low price, and on-demand nature, will serve as a test bed of sorts, both for AMC and other channels.
More via the link. Original article is in AdWeek.

Top Bottom