• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

The other show besides 9JKL I frequently see mentioned as worst of the year also happens to be a CBS show, Wisdom of the Crowd or whatever it's called.

Wisdom of the crowd would have been good if it didnt (according to the commercials) tell us it was just him getting the identify of his daughters killed I guess, it just seems like there could have been some more creative and unique there.

Could have just looked to The Circle (2017 movie) for what to do.

Read this earlier and got infuriated by it. Adalian is such a hack, and I'm beyond tired of the desperate attempts to spin TP:TR as anything other than the massive disappointment it was from a business standpoint.

I'm 100% positive Showtime expected a hell of a lot more from it.

Twin Peaks The Return only averaged 2 million viewers per episode across all platforms? Holy shit lol
Nobody is watching it now, but don't worry it will be a valuable asset for years--Joe Adalian told me so.

Aiii

So not worth it
That's gonna drop like a rock.

Public seemed to like it, if user scores and reviews are anything to go by. I am not dropping, I think the critics were wrong about this one, it is not as terrible as they pretended it was because it wasn’t Galaxy Quest 2.

berzeli

Banned
Public seemed to like it, if user scores and reviews are anything to go by. I am not dropping, I think the critics were wrong about this one, it is not as terrible as they pretended it was because it wasn’t Galaxy Quest 2.
It's a show aimed at nerdy young men, of course it will get good reviews on the internet (internet being IMDb, Metacritic). It's like how Bloodborne was the biggest thing on gaf, but didn't outsell Call of Duty. They're also pretty useless in general, I mean Vinyl has a 7.9 on IMDb, fucking Vinyl has a 7.9.
Remember that critics saw the first three episodes, and almost all of them singled out the third one as by far the worst of the bunch.

For me; it's literally Star Trek fan fiction. Badly written Star Trek fan fiction.
The introduction of the crew is literally them standing in a line and going:
MacFarlane: Wow, you're [species A], aren't you guys [insert species A's ability]
Character A: Yea
MacFarlane: Wow, you're [species B], aren't you guys [insert species B's ability]
Character B: Yea, [blatantly stating optional character quirk]
etc.
I won't be watching any more of it.

A 7.9 for Vinyl? That should be a fucking 9.7 *snorts coke* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH now let's listen to some real music.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Totally.

Nobody is watching it now, but don't worry it will be a valuable asset for years--Joe Adalian told me so.

And the exact same argument can be made for literally any show. "Martin Scorsese is hailed as one of the greatest directors of all time! People will be seeking out Vinyl for years to come!", "Jack Black is one of the most popular comedians ever! The Brink was a great investment because millions of his fans will eventually want to watch it!", "Ballet is timeless - #Flesh & Bone". Like.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They just need to start connecting all these underperforming shows together into a shared universe.

Just have Ray Romano show up somewhere as their Sam Jackson character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They just need to start connecting all these underperforming shows together into a shared universe.

Just have Ray Romano show up somewhere as their Sam Jackson character.

Ray Romano was actually in Vinyl though, so would he be playing his Vinyl character or someone new?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ray Romano was actually in Vinyl though, so would he be playing his Vinyl character or someone new?

Vinyl character but he is actually immortal and takes on a new persona for every show. Then we get Better Call Saul-style shows that get you from one iteration to the next.

Maybe even eventually get him to play himself and show up on There's Johnny.

El Topo

Vinyl character but he is actually immortal and takes on a new persona for every show. Then we get Better Call Saul-style shows that get you from one iteration to the next.

Maybe even eventually get him to play himself and show up on There's Johnny.

Ray Romano as the Highlander?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Read this earlier and got infuriated by it. Adalian is such a hack, and I'm beyond tired of the desperate attempts to spin TP:TR as anything other than the massive disappointment it was from a business standpoint.

"Buzz is just as important as anything else!" i.e. the When Calls the Heart defense.

Slayven

It's a show aimed at nerdy young men, of course it will get good reviews on the internet (internet being IMDb, Metacritic). It's like how Bloodborne was the biggest thing on gaf, but didn't outsell Call of Duty. They're also pretty useless in general, I mean Vinyl has a 7.9 on IMDb, fucking Vinyl has a 7.9.
Remember that critics saw the first three episodes, and almost all of them singled out the third one as by far the worst of the bunch.

For me; it's literally Star Trek fan fiction. Badly written Star Trek fan fiction.
The introduction of the crew is literally them standing in a line and going:
MacFarlane: Wow, you're [species A], aren't you guys [insert species A's ability]
Character A: Yea
MacFarlane: Wow, you're [species B], aren't you guys [insert species B's ability]
Character B: Yea, [blatantly stating optional character quirk]
etc.
I won't be watching any more of it.

Make the OT and kill it

Cheebo

Banned

Twin Peaks: The Return is one of the most revolutionary and impractical seasons of television of the last decade. Critics absolutely adored it. The industry went insane for it. You could see this all over social media of various writers, directors, and journalists. It was worth it for that marketing and image standpoint.

Episode 8 of The Return will be seen by many for decades and decades in film schools and be seen as one of the most revolutionary episodes in television history.

That alone was worth it for Showtime, ratings isn't everything for these type of channels. It earned them HBO style goodwill and approval from the various bigwig writers and directors in the industry who was the audience that ate this show up.

Twin Peaks: The Return is to TV as what 2001: A Space Odyssey was to film.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Twin Peaks: The Return is one of the most revolutionary and impractical seasons of television of the last decade. Critics absolutely adored it. The industry went insane for it. You could see this all over social media of various writers, directors, and journalists. It was worth it for that marketing and image standpoint.

Episode 8 of The Return will be seen by many for decades and decades in film schools and be seen as one of the most revolutionary episodes in television history.

That alone was worth it for Showtime, ratings isn't everything for these type of channels. It earned them HBO style goodwill and approval from the various bigwig writers and directors in the industry who was the audience that ate this show up.

If I decide to watch this because of this, and it turns out to be nothing special...I'm going to be a little peeved at you!

Cheebo

Banned
If I decide to watch this because of this, and it turns out to be nothing special...I'm going to be a little peeved at you!
It is not like like I am the only one saying that haha. The critics went absolutely gaga for Episode 8 of this season.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/twin-peaks-the-return-part-8-atom-bomb-flashback.html
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/26/15872236/twin-peaks-episode-8-recap-bob-the-return

As an FYI to watch the return watching Season 1, 2 & the film Fire Walk With Me are 100% required viewings. It makes no attempt whatsoever to try to act as an entry point or catch viewers back up.

berzeli

Banned
Make the OT and kill it
sigh. also my apologies to ophidiophobics:
giphy.gif

Numbers for The Deuce:

- HBO’s ‘The Deuce’ Debuts Steady With 2016’s ‘The Night Of’ Viewership
The Sunday night premiere of HBO’s The Deuce did well, considering preview streaming, Hurricane Irma coverage and Sunday Night Football. The premium cabler’s new drama series has drawn over 2.2 million viewers so far, according to HBO.

That number includes 1.1 million viewers that watched early on HBO platforms and over 1.1 million viewers tuning in across two plays on Sunday night (830,000 viewers for 9 PM, 342,000 viewers for 12:15 AM). This puts The Deuce slightly ahead of last year’s start for The Night Of, which had the same early viewing strategy on digital platforms.

The Night Of premiere episode tallied 2.1 million viewers in the same timeframe and went on to average a gross audience of 8.2 million viewers.

God I wish this was a joke post, but I know it isn't. Lynch fans are insufferable and critics were too afraid of seeming to not get it to point out that the Emperor wasn't wearing any clothes. TP:TR was a dull slog and I truly regret that I endured all 18 torturous episodes.

As for episode 8 being revolutionary, well I guess the revolution will be televised it's just that nobody will watch it. It wasn't anything special.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Orville was adjusted up to a 2.8, btw! We were all way off in the end...

I'll be optimistic: 2.8

Except you! :O

"Buzz is just as important as anything else!" i.e. the When Calls the Heart defense.

When Calls the Heart has good ratings though.

I forgot this show existed. Who has higher ratings Ride or Fear the Walking Dead?

Fear the Walking Dead, by a large margin.

The industry went insane for it. You could see this all over social media of various writers, directors, and journalists.

Of course. Who wouldn't want to run naked through the candy store with a fistful of hundreds and no adult supervision?

The Return had a lot of good ideas, but they were buried under a mountain of garbage that any sane TV executive should have recognized as awful and fought against (David Nevins should have insisted on only doing the originally agreed upon 9 episodes), only he was too afraid that David Lynch's petulant ass would drop the show all together if he didn't get his way.

Buzz is worthless unless it translates into something they can monetize. Plus, Showtime already had a lot of critical and industry goodwill - this isn't CBS we're talking about here.

critics were too afraid of seeming to not get it to point out that the Emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.

Nail meet hammer.

Not bad, not bad.

vypek

I really wish I got on those TBS shows. I keep them on my DVR and then delete after I while cause I never get to them

The pilot for "The Mayor" is really really strong. It looks like this might be this season's "Good Place"; a show that knows its tone, characters, and hijinks incredibly well.

Now to pray it doesn't get cancelled.

vypek

The pilot for "The Mayor" is really really strong. It looks like this might be this season's "Good Place"; a show that knows its tone, characters, and hijinks incredibly well.

Did it already premiere? I haven't even really looked at the premiere schedules that much yet

EDIT: Ah, looks like it starts in October

berzeli

Banned
re: Twin Peaks and value for Showtime.
For how many TV shows do we get a multi-page thread for the announcement of a blu-ray?

I still think it might not have lived up to expectations and Adalian was a bit too charitable in his article. But it is clear that it has some value which most other shows don't possess

Sean

Banned

Just watched it on ABC's site and really enjoyed it too. A lot of shows take a few episodes to find their footing, but The Mayor nails it right off the bat. I think it'll be a really fun series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
re: Twin Peaks and value for Showtime.
For how many TV shows do we get a multi-page thread for the announcement of a blu-ray?

The Revolutionary Girl Utena blu-ray announcement thread had almost as many posts in it as the Twin Peaks S3 blu thread when you posted the above. :p

Also the Batman Mask of the Phantasm blu-ray announcement thread has 4 pages.

berzeli

Banned
The Revolutionary Girl Utena blu-ray announcement thread had almost as many posts in it as the Twin Peaks S3 blu thread when you posted the above. :p

Also the Batman Mask of the Phantasm blu-ray announcement thread has 4 pages.
It was accumulating posts fast enough that it felt like a safe statement to make

Technically a TV movie!
THR - Amazon's TV Reset: Can It Finally Launch a Global Hit?
Holy fuck
The 6 episode, 3 hour long Crisis in Six Scenes cost $100 million?! That's a worse investment than Vinyl :O
Bwahahahahahahahaha. That's fucking amazing. How does Roy Price stillhave his job?

No but fucking seriously how does he still have it?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
For $100M I better see a fucking Transformer walking around NYC neurotically.

I love Allen's work, but modern day Woody is a roll of the dice. For every 1 movie where he sticks the landing, there are 3 nobody really liked. If anything, I think it being Woody Allen is going to make people more critical of it. They know what he's capable of. So if Amazon is hoping it'll be award bait, I'd brace myself for a long uphill climb.

berzeli

Banned
For $100M I better see a fucking Transformer walking around NYC neurotically.

I love Allen's work, but modern day Woody is a roll of the dice. For every 1 movie where he sticks the landing, there are 3 nobody really liked. If anything, I think it being Woody Allen is going to make people more critical of it. They know what he's capable of. So if Amazon is hoping it'll be award bait, I'd brace myself for a long uphill climb.
Crisis in Six Scenes premiered in 2016. It won no awards.

Top Bottom