• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Sober

I've seen enough shows where I wasn't a fan of the first season but ended up enjoying the show as a whole that I'm willing to give a show a shot if people say it improves.

It's been so long since I've seen it that I can't actually recall why it wasn't grabbing me, though. I might've just disliked the characters?
Yeah the first season is basically a bad impersonation of Mad Men in the 80s tech industry and many of us were ready to write it off or cheer if it got cancelled so Lee Pace and everyone else (basically the entire cast) could move onto better things. But S2 onwards is like a literal new show in the same setting and premise. HCF has been called many times the best of "peak TV" basically since then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I liked the first season more than the second season. That's a pretty unpopular opinion, but basically I thought the scenario was a lot more grounded in the first season and has basically spiralled into fantasy land since. It's true that the hardboiled scenery chewing is a bit much, but I don't actually think the transition to Cameron and Donna does much to improve the character dynamics. I get that many critics feel the show has an interesting feminism but I guess I don't think it's a good execution of that. I feel like when I express this, it's like when I say that I don't think Brokeback Mountain is a good film. I support more diverse representation in TV and am glad to see showrunners trying to move away from Tony Soprano, Walter White, and Don Draper, but just to me the first season of Halt and Catch Fire is an interesting premise and since then it kinda hasn't clicked for me.

*ducks rain of shoes*

Sober

Emmys are on tonight. Perhaps we should finally open up a TV-GAF Discord server so we can all let loose and complain when [your favourite show this season] loses to [overrated show]?

2016-17
Casualities

CBS:
Ransom
Hey, I just saw something while browsing the internet.

Ransom is coproduction between 4 countries: Canada, United Sates, France and Germany.

CBS (United Sates) and RTL / VOX (Germany) might have cancelled Ransom some months ago, but the series is not dead yet because Global (Canada) and TF1 (France) have ordered a season 2.

Hulu snagging the Best Drama Emmy before Netflix or Amazon

*cackle*
KwaiLZ5.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Rick and Morty "big"? It seems everyone knows about it, and it has that south park style pop culture presence, but I never heard about it being this huge hit or anything.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
is Rick and Morty "big"? It seems everyone knows about it, and it has that south park style pop culture presence, but I never heard about it being this huge hit or anything.

It must have some type of presence because I live in a college town and several of the bars do Rick & Morty night with signature drinks now. And the YouTube videos that pop up in my feed with "analysis" of episodes have millions of views...like in a day or two. There's been a definite jump in popularity between Season 2 and Season 3.

It was the #1 cable show last Sunday, apparently

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-9-10-2017.html

And that's at 11 at night on a Sunday

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
American Vandal, shocking noone apparently, is legit. Loved the first episode. I think the fact that its on Netflix, which has a bunch of crime documentries lately, makes it even better.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I didn't realize that Zoe Perry who is playing Sheldon's mother on Young Sheldon is Laurie Metcalf's daughter.

berzeli

Banned
Mariah Carey’s ‘Mariah’s World’ Not Returning For Second Season On E!
There will be no second season for Mariah Carey’s E! docuseries Mariah’s World.

The decision is not a surprise.

The series’ premiere episode opened strong with 2.2 million total viewers, but continually lost steam over the eight-episode run echoing the trajectory of her music career. The later episodes drew just 510,000-810,000 viewers each.
(I might have slightly edited this just to annoy Ratsky)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fast-Demo-2017-Sep-17.SUN_.png

I wonder how low the Emmys could possibly go. Guess we'll find out next year.

Slayven

I thought the emmys was going to be on ABC, then turned to NBC, and finally thought "No way" and turned to CBS.

The fact they are on CBS tells me maybe the bidding war wasn't that long for the rights

I thought the emmys was going to be on ABC, then turned to NBC, and finally thought "No way" and turned to CBS.

The fact they are on CBS tells me maybe the bidding war wasn't that long for the rights
Like the Superbowl, they swap between the networks every year.

Grizzlyjin

Yeah, I wonder how it'll do after Gotham.

I'm bracing for impact, but who knows. These days people will follow a show if it connects. But what does Gotham usually get, like a 0.8 0.9?

As for my watch list, I'm officially done with The Orville. Watched 20 minutes of Episode 2 and turned it off.

That second half drop after the football lead, did the game and everything go past 8:30?... This is going to be under 1.0 Thursday isn't it? I'll be generous and give it until its second Thursday.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It must have some type of presence because I live in a college town and several of the bars do Rick & Morty night with signature drinks now. And the YouTube videos that pop up in my feed with "analysis" of episodes have millions of views...like in a day or two. There's been a definite jump in popularity between Season 2 and Season 3.

It was the #1 cable show last Sunday, apparently

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-9-10-2017.html

And that's at 11 at night on a Sunday

Rick and Morty has been one of the highest rated cable shows on Sunday nights since season 2. It's about as big as an adult animated show on cable can get, meseeksthinks.

Mariah is the QWEEN ~ bow before ha

berzeli

Banned
By the way - why isn't there a Best Foreign Language Series Emmy?
Because the Emmys are dumb.
No seriously they are so dumb.

There isn't a single Emmy, there is:
Technology and Engineering Emmys
Daytime Emmys
Sports Emmys
Primetime Creative Arts Emmys
Primetime Emmys
News and Documentary Emmys
International Emmys

And if you think to yourself "How could we ever make this dumber?", don't worry the Emmys have you covered:

The Technology, Daytime, News, and Sports Emmys are controlled by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS)
The Primetime Emmys by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS)
And the international Emmys by International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (IATAS)
It should be pointed out that NATAS and ATAS split from eachother under what I can only assume to be extremely petty circumstances.

But you do have an Emmy for not just "foreign language" shows (a lot of International Emmys have gone to British shows), but for pretty much every conceivable iteration of TV.
Problem is that people only care for the Primetime one for obvious reasons.

The Emmys are really dumb.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Because the Emmys are dumb.
No seriously they are so dumb.

There isn't a single Emmy, there is:
Technology and Engineering Emmys
Daytime Emmys
Sports Emmys
Primetime Creative Arts Emmys
Primetime Emmys
News and Documentary Emmys
International Emmys

And if you think to yourself "How could we ever make this dumber?", don't worry the Emmys have you covered:

The Technology, Daytime, News, and Sports Emmys are controlled by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS)
The Primetime Emmys by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS)
And the international Emmys by International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (IATAS)
It should be pointed out that NATAS and ATAS split from eachother under what I can only assume to be extremely petty circumstances.

But you do have an Emmy for not just "foreign language" shows (a lot of International Emmys have gone to British shows), but for pretty much every conceivable iteration of TV.
Problem is that people only care for the Primetime one for obvious reasons.

The Emmys are really dumb.

I knew about the Daytime and Creative Arts Emmys, but I had no idea about the others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just how well did that show even do?!

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series - Elisabeth Moss
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Ann Dowd
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Alexis Bledel
Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour)
Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More)

Grizzlyjin

Rick and Morty has been one of the highest rated cable shows on Sunday nights since season 2. It's about as big as an adult animated show on cable can get, meseeksthinks.

I've been sleeping on Rick & Morty. Casual watcher, so I thought it just had a very vocal fanbase, like Community. It didn't click for me until a few weeks ago when my friends said they were going to Rick & Morty night.

I guess it really should have been a half-hour show.

... and also not suck.

That was another reason I bailed on Episode 2. Maybe, just maybe, I could give it more of a chance if it was a half hour show. But 40+ mins of it every week? No fucking thanks. I just don't see anything to like. It's not creative about the premise and it isn't funny. They're just dumpster diving old Star Tre--Ill stop, I'm about to rant lol

Slayven

I've been sleeping on Rick & Morty. Casual watcher, so I thought it just had a very vocal fanbase, like Community. It didn't click for me until a few weeks ago when my friends said they were going to Rick & Morty night.

That was another reason I bailed on Episode 2. Maybe, just maybe, I could give it more of a chance if it was a half hour show. But 40+ mins of it every week? No fucking thanks. I just don't see anything to like. It's not creative about the premise and it isn't funny. They're just dumpster diving old Star Tre--Ill stop, I'm about to rant lol

Unlike Community, Rick and Morty is funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is 19-2 considered a cancellation? lol

It's weird to see how they decided to end the series. They had a bit of an arc that basically just fluttered away, focusing instead on character arcs and a couple of standalone calls. I sort of imagine this is how Southland would have ended if it had the chance.

Top Bottom