• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Is Going Down As One Of The GOAT Years In Gaming

lucius

If Mario Odyssey tops BOTW I think I might agree, if it doesn’t I think one or two other years might have been better.

King_Moc

Banned
It's been completely insane if you have access to all platforms. An amazing list of games in the op. The Switch is in the middle of having the best first year lineup of games a console has ever had. By a distance as well, I'd say.

For Nintendo fans? Sure.

For everyone else? I don’t think so.

Even besides Nintendo, Nier Automata & Persona 5 are hallmark games that I’ll definitey return to.

Now I’d accept “For fans of Japanese games? Sure.”

But even still I’m sure people would argue that Destiny 2 and Horizon are incredible achievements. Though I haven’t played them myself.

It's one of the most insane line up's ever. I'm bookmarking this thread just so that I can eventually catch up over the next decade :p

It's always amusing to me when lists as long and as high quality as that are posted and people reply with "meh" or "only this and this were good". It's like are you sure you still like gaming ?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If you own a PS4 or/and Switch this really has been a great year.
The Xbox got the multi plattform releases but man it looks unappealing compared to the exclusives provided by Sony/Nintendo.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's one of the most insane line up's ever. I'm bookmarking this thread just so that I can eventually catch up over the next decade :p

It's always amusing to me when lists as long and as high quality as that are posted and people reply with "meh" or "only this and this were good". It's like are you sure you still like gaming ?

If we are talking about GOAT years in gaming, there needs to be a lot of epic and long lasting games. Most of the games in the OP do not fall into that category, tbh. Ultra Street Fighter 2?!

Anyway, it's been a great year, but I would only highlight a handful of titles - BOTW, maybe Mario (haven't played it yet), HZD, P5, Nier, DOS2 - as titles that will fall on a list of all time great games. The rest don't really stand out, but that's not to say they aren't good games. Compare that to 2007, where so many games from that year still influence what is done today and changed gaming itself in so many ways.

Yes, it is at the very least my favorite year since the end of the PS3. Probably well before that too. Currently playing 4 games as we speak.

Certainly been some stand out releases and certainly a new Zelda and Mario in the same year is exceptional. However you might wanna wait for someone like Metacritic to do the maths for you before calling it...

Last year they produced this
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-videogames-of-2016

If they do the same, you'll see if your post has a real basis in fact

I prefer not to assign value to anything I see on Metacritic.

Si2k78

How Nintendo will top a year with major releases for both Zelda and Mario, I do not know.

Enjoy the ride, because I don't think this is happening again for a while, but I hope I'm wrong.

kadotsu

Banned
I feel like Tuckman's stages of group development can be used well as an analog to describe how console generations often go but it is very clear this gen.

Forming: MS and Sony announce their visions. (Sharing, Standby, DRM, Self-publishing etc.)

Storming: Backlash against DRM, Games ship in a broken state (Driveclub, MCC), parity clauses

Norming: More and bigger day 1 patches/updates, GaaS focus, adoption of middleware by Japan and indies, indie publishers emerge

Performing: We have been in this state for a while now. For me it started somewhere between Destiny TTK and Doom/Uncharted 4. We'll be in this state until at least Fall 2018 if upcomming games lists are anything to go by.

Falchion

It definitely started out stronger than any year I can remember, we'll see if it can finish off that way too.

If we are talking about GOAT years in gaming, there needs to be a lot of epic and long lasting games. Most of the games in the OP do not fall into that category, tbh. Ultra Street Fighter 2?!

Anyway, it's been a great year, but I would only highlight a handful of titles - BOTW, maybe Mario (haven't played it yet), HZD, P5, Nier, DOS2 - as titles that will fall on a list of all time great games. The rest don't really stand out, but that's not to say they aren't good games. Compare that to 2007, where so many games from that year still influence what is done today and changed gaming itself in so many ways.

Surely PUBG is a game changer?

Ascheroth

This year has 6 (six!) Falcom releases on PC.
Let me repeat that: Six. Falcom. games. releasing. on. PC. in. one. single. year.

That alone is enough for it to be considered one of the greatest, let's not even talk about the avalanche of awesome other games.

Atheerios

How Nintendo will top a year with major releases for both Zelda and Mario, I do not know.

Enjoy the ride, because I don't think this is happening again for a while, but I hope I'm wrong.

With the first console-scale Pokémon game, Metroid Prime 4, Mario 2D and Smash Switch.

we all know that won't happen in the same year though :(

I’ve only dipped my toes in a few new releases but this year has been outstanding for every platform. It’s incredible.

On PC, I could take the games just released in 2017 and that would probably be enough to fuel my gaming for the rest of my life. Like, multiple games a week that I would love to buy.

This year has been stellar, and 2018 is no slouch (Ni No Kini, Spider-Man, Crackdown 3 to name a few).

Will any year ever top 1998 though? Fite me.

I mean personal preferences and all but 2004 had:

Paper Mario TTYD
Doom 3
WoW
Half Life 2
Jak 3
Halo 2
Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal
Burnout 3 Takedown
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Star Wars Battlefront
GTA San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Fable
DS launch
KOTOR II

Among others.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Yeah, on PS4 alone it's been pretty breathtaking, with Japanese development really leading the way. Mid-tier and indies have had a great year too, with the likes of Nex Machina, Pyre, Hellblade and RiME (hopefully Cuphead too) really raising the bar.

HyGogg

Banned
Lotta good games this year, not a lot of all-time greats, though. Zelda is good but not as good as review scores would have you believe. Persona 5 is pretty great, but nothing mind-blowingly new, just extremely polished. Lone Echo probably floored me the most, and it's definitely the best VR game this year.

mazillion

2017 has utterly massacred my wallet so far and the worst has yet to come. 3 months left in the year and there are still like 7 more major releases I planning on getting, an SNES Classic, some indies, and there are like 4 other big releases I want but definitely won't have to time for.

Probably not as good for Xbox owners though, in fact, 2017 also happens to be the year I gave up on Xbox and switched to PS4.

Sotha_Sil

The best part is that it's been a huge year for developers everywhere. Japanese and western developers, indies, supported studios, exclusives, AA, and AAA games alike have knocked it out of the park.

Picking a GOTY this year is going to be such a gut call, based more on whom at the moment than anything else.

It really is.

Not sure if it's the GOAT year in gaming, but Odyssey could well help underline this as *Nintendo's* greatest year, in terms of quality of software they've been putting out.

Aaron D.

Yeah, 2017 is one for the record books.

Easily one of my favorite in memory and I haven't even (and likely won't) purchased a single AAA $60 title.

System wars just make one look silly at this point as there's so much bounty across all platforms.

Meh. Still hasn't even topped 2015. Nioh and Yakuza 0 were nice but not earth shattering. Have yet to play Prey. The concept of HZD does nothing for me. Nintendo's output also generally does nothing for me though I'm sure BOTW would be fun for a bit. Oh well. Here's hoping AC:O will be good.

Ryan_MSF

For Nintendo fans? Sure.

For everyone else? I don't think so.

tenor.gif

surely this isn't a serious post

Absolutely. This year has already seen enough landmark releases to qualify as a GOAT year, even if 2018 came tomorrow. I can't even imagine how Nintendo can top itself for the rest of the switch's life.

But in terms of industry trends, it's a bit more worrying...this year has also seen the rise of the loot box and gacha style microtransactions in console games. It's easy to ignore for now in most games, but left unchecked they are only going to infest games like locusts. They are ludicrously profitable; don't delude yourself into a false sense of security just because they don't affect you right now.

I hope 2017 is remembered more for being a year of truly great gaming experiences, as opposed to the last year of when gaming wasn't totally consumed by microtransactions.

Rob2K19

Of course you'd put January games like Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 then leave out KH 2.8. Funny thing is you put KH 1.5+2.5 in the list. -_-

Top Bottom