• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 Fantasy Football (amer.) Discussion Thread

Resources:
http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/
http://www.fftoday.com/
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl
http://www.borischen.co/

Podcasts:
The Audible
Fantasy Focus Football
The Fantasy Footballers
Fantasy Football Today
The Most Accurate Podcast

Twitter Analysts by Accuracy Ranking:
@the_oddsmaker
@JeffRatcliffe
@BillEnright
@TheRealTAL
@RealDaveMajor
@4for4_John
@justinboone
@ScoutFantasy
@jaywrong
@mattkdelima

feel free to post more resources/podcasts/twitters/etc, for me to update the OP with.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

First time i'm doing two leagues.

had one draft last night - it was an auction, my first as well. didnt know what to expect or how really to prepare for it. It had its highs and lows...was super fun though.

I was forced to draft on my phone which was a terrible experience and fcked me a few times.

14 team league and ended up with:
Kamara
Burkhead
Keenan Allen
Marvin Jones
Luck
Rudolph
Marquise Goodwin
gostkowski
Golladay
Kupp
Bilal Powell
Ryan GRant
Nick Chubb

My second, more important league's draft is next tuesday. thats a 12 team keeper league ive been in for about 6 years. you can keep up to 4 players and its snake draft. i'm way better prepared for that one.

my keepers are:
2nd rnd - dalvin cook
7th - duke johnson
10th - cooper kupp
15th - Kenyan Drake

Last edited:

Pejo

Thanks for the info! Every year I keep saying I'm going to research my drafts, then I always forget and wing it. Maybe this will be the year.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Anybody want to participate in a Gaf league? Small buy-in of like $5 with prizes to ensure participation.

I've got Luck in my home league OP. Last person to draft a QB. Got TY Hilton too Hope Luck can stay on the field.

Thanks for the info! Every year I keep saying I'm going to research my drafts, then I always forget and wing it. Maybe this will be the year.

don't forget to make a personal list of tiers of players you want. it really helps keeps things organized when guys start flying off the charts and valuations or positions start getting mixed up

Anybody want to participate in a Gaf league? Small buy-in of like $5 with prizes to ensure participation.

I'd be up for something small like that... if we can get enough players, i'd prefer 12-14...

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I'm in one at work but I might be interested in a GAF league but how would we do the pot money through Paypal?

If it's too much trouble I'll just mess with Draft Kings.

Pejo

I've got Luck in my home league OP. Last person to draft a QB. Got TY Hilton too Hope Luck can stay on the field.
I wouldn't be against it, if we could get at least 8 or so.

natjjohn

Already in enough leagues but would need at least 8 folks. Would seem could get 8 people, but not everybody is as NFL and Fantasy football obsessed as others.

Fantasy talk:

Love McCaffrey this year in PPR leagues. Think he elevates his game to another level this year. Coaching staff talked of 25-30 touches a game. Don’t think he will get that high, but floor seems super safe and a high ceiling to boot. Encourage folks to target him particularly if in a snake draft and in back half.

Already in enough leagues but would need at least 8 folks. Would seem could get 8 people, but not everybody is as NFL and Fantasy football obsessed as others.

Fantasy talk:

Love McCaffrey this year in PPR leagues. Think he elevates his game to another level this year. Coaching staff talked of 25-30 touches a game. Don’t think he will get that high, but floor seems super safe and a high ceiling to boot. Encourage folks to target him particularly if in a snake draft and in back half.

Im really hoping i can get mccaffrey in my keeper league, i have the 4th pick(50 players already out due to being kept)... and if things go how i expect itll go AB, Barkley, Hopkins... only issue is the 3rd pick in front of me isnt keeping any RBs, and the next best rb after barkley is christian... so fingers crossed!! Its prob dumb but it just sounds so good to have him, dalvin cook, and kenyan drake (or davonta freeman - currently trying to trade), it would dog me WR wise though... but i think itd be worth it and theres enough depth at wr for me to make up for it. Plus im a panthers fan... i dont know if his body can hold up to that workload though, i did hear they have a ton of creative plays this year and lots of screens, probably to protect his body a bit....

natjjohn

Trying to boost some talk in here. Folks can post their teams and we can rate.

Here’s one of my squads. Picked eleventh, and it was an NFL Style draft (meaning 11th every round). You may be wondering how that works. Well, each team bids for their draft spot. Highest bid picks first every round, second highest second every round, so on and so forth. A lot of strategy to it and how much money wanting to put in. Anyways, bud was terrible in that well overbid last and only moved up one spot.

Now back to the team. Considering picking eleventh every round, didn’t think came out too bad. Thoughts?

QBs: Newton, Rivers
RBs: Hunt, Ajayi, Cohen, Barber
WRs: Diggs, Allen Robinson, Jordy Nelson, Christian Kirk, Calvin Ridley
TEs: Gronk, Reed
PK: Prater
Def: Steelers

Also, should clarify starting lineup consists of having start one of each position, and then three RB/WR/TE flex. So have a lot of flexibility on how you construct your team.

natjjohn

Did a traditional snake draft picking 7th out of 12, standard scoring. NFL Fantasy folks gave me a C+ and that’d I’d finish 2-11, but not sure how they’ve landed on that conclusion. Maybe I’m overconfident in the selections. Admittedly weak at QB, but it’s only 4pt passing TDs so don’t think will kill me. What do you think?

QBs: Mahomes, Dalton
RBs: Gordon, McCaffrey, Mixon, Ingram
WRs: Diggs, Cooks, Watkins, Keelan Cole, Mike Williams
TEs: Graham, Walker
K: Gostkowski
Def: Jags D

Barring some sort of mass wave of injury though the squad, guarantee win more than two games. Have to start two RBs and two WRs with a flex.

AaronB

In my church league, 12 team 1/2 pt ppr, qb, 2rb, 2wr, te, 2 flex, no kicker, drafting 2nd, I have:

QB: Deshaun Watson, Drew Brees
RB: Todd Gurley, Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Kerryon Johnson, CJ Anderson, Frank Gore
WR: TY Hilton, Juju Smith-Schuster, Jordy Nelson, Mike Williams, Dede Westbrook
TE: David Njoku, OJ Howard
D/ST: Chargers

I feel better about mid-round WR's than RB's this year, and with my league having 2 flex positions, I took 4 RBs early. Left me with a below-average WR group, and 2 guys with upside at TE rather than a sure thing, but I was still able to grab QBs I'm happy with - a ceiling and a floor.

natjjohn

In my church league, 12 team 1/2 pt ppr, qb, 2rb, 2wr, te, 2 flex, no kicker, drafting 2nd, I have:

QB: Deshaun Watson, Drew Brees
RB: Todd Gurley, Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Kerryon Johnson, CJ Anderson, Frank Gore
WR: TY Hilton, Juju Smith-Schuster, Jordy Nelson, Mike Williams, Dede Westbrook
TE: David Njoku, OJ Howard
D/ST: Chargers

I feel better about mid-round WR's than RB's this year, and with my league having 2 flex positions, I took 4 RBs early. Left me with a below-average WR group, and 2 guys with upside at TE rather than a sure thing, but I was still able to grab QBs I'm happy with - a ceiling and a floor.

Not a fan of your QB strategy. Speculating spent some higher picks to net both Watson and Brees. Could be wrong though and Brees dropped further than others. Like your first two backs and receivers. Im actually surprised you were able to get those top three backs with TY and Juju. Speculating somebody or two dropped for you.

Not a fan of Henry personally. Titans spent all that money on Dion Lewis so just assuming that means he will get enough play to limit Henry from what he could be. Jordy I think has potential if the claims he looked a few years younger during TC weren’t completely bogus. Ideally, Brees and Watson have the seasons you expect and can flip one over to bolster whatever turns out to be a position of need.

AaronB

Did a traditional snake draft picking 7th out of 12, standard scoring. NFL Fantasy folks gave me a C+ and that’d I’d finish 2-11, but not sure how they’ve landed on that conclusion. Maybe I’m overconfident in the selections. Admittedly weak at QB, but it’s only 4pt passing TDs so don’t think will kill me. What do you think?

Barring some sort of mass wave of injury though the squad, guarantee win more than two games. Have to start two RBs and two WRs with a flex.
I think you have a pretty solid group. If you went Gordon at 7 and McCaffrey in the mid-2nd round that might be a bit higher than I'd put them, but not wildly so, and you still got Diggs and Mixon. I think you can win more than 2 games, especially if Mahomes pans out. If not, QB is deep enough that you can pick one up off waivers.

AaronB

Not a fan of your QB strategy. Speculating spent some higher picks to net both Watson and Brees. Could be wrong though and Brees dropped further than others. Like your first two backs and receivers. Im actually surprised you were able to get those top three backs with TY and Juju. Speculating somebody or two dropped for you.

Not a fan of Henry personally. Titans spent all that money on Dion Lewis so just assuming that means he will get enough play to limit Henry from what he could be. Jordy I think has potential if the claims he looked a few years younger during TC weren’t completely bogus. Ideally, Brees and Watson have the seasons you expect and can flip one over to bolster whatever turns out to be a position of need.
Thanks for the feedback. Kerryon slipped to the late 6th, which I think made him my best value pick. Then Watson was still there in the 7th, which I thought was worth it. I'm concerned about Dion Lewis, but I hope Henry still gets a lot of work.

My toughest choices were Mixon or Jordan Howard (or D. Adams) in the bottom of the 2nd, and Deshaun or Cam Newton in the 7th.

AaronB

Trying to boost some talk in here. Folks can post their teams and we can rate.

Here’s one of my squads. Picked eleventh, and it was an NFL Style draft (meaning 11th every round). You may be wondering how that works. Well, each team bids for their draft spot. Highest bid picks first every round, second highest second every round, so on and so forth. A lot of strategy to it and how much money wanting to put in. Anyways, bud was terrible in that well overbid last and only moved up one spot.

Now back to the team. Considering picking eleventh every round, didn’t think came out too bad. Thoughts?

QBs: Newton, Rivers
RBs: Hunt, Ajayi, Cohen, Barber
WRs: Diggs, Allen Robinson, Jordy Nelson, Christian Kirk, Calvin Ridley
TEs: Gronk, Reed
PK: Prater
Def: Steelers

Also, should clarify starting lineup consists of having start one of each position, and then three RB/WR/TE flex. So have a lot of flexibility on how you construct your team.
Drafting 11th every round is rough, but I'd look to improve that running back group. If somehow Alfred Morris or Adrian Peterson are on the waiver wire, grab them.

If Gronk stays healthy he can carry you, but that's a big if. Two years ago I drafted him in the late 1st round, and he only gave me about 2 good games. Then last year, the same with Jordan Reed.

recma12

If Gronk stays healthy he can carry you, but that's a big if. Two years ago I drafted him in the late 1st round, and he only gave me about 2 good games. Then last year, the same with Jordan Reed.

Yup.
Won my league last season in part because Gronk gave me 10 point advantage at the TE position every week.
Even though he is a little injury prone I still think he's worth the risk (unless sure fire RB's and WR's are still on the board).

recma12

My 2018 draft haul (7 team league / nfl.com):

QB: Brady, Big Ben
RB: Zeke, Fournette, Mixon, Ajayi; Henry
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Cooks, Diggs, Landry
TE: Gronk
K: Boswell (PIT)
DEF: Houston

feel free to critizise lol

AaronB

Coming from 10-12 team leagues, that looks insane. Even for 7 teams, it shouldn't be possible to have 2 top-7 running backs (and 4 of the top-15) while still getting the top TE and a strong group of receivers.

did my 12 team .5 ppr keeper league last night:

QB: Dalton (currently streaming)
WR: Hopkins
WR: Hilton
WR: Woods
RB: Cook
RB: Drake
TE: Njoku
FLEX: Corey Davis

BE: Cooper Kupp
BE: Duke Johnson
BE: Golladay
BE: John Brown
BE: Chris Godwin

considering to trade for an rb2 from someone... maybe corey davis or Godwin for Derrick Henry?

not sure what to do with woods/kupp, as thats gonna make me sick choosing between them every week

Last edited:

Pejo

1Pq9lJY.png

Not really that happy with this team. We do a 12 team snake draft and I got 6th pick, AKA one of the worst spots. I should have just drafted all of IND/OAK so I only had 2 teams to keep track of this season, ffs.

Last edited:

natjjohn

Seven team league... assuming everybody is loaded. Seems even more so a roll of the dice than a typical league. Loaded at RB obviously. Receivers not bad but seems you clearly targeted backs over WRs. Depends on what flexibility you have on who you start as to if that is the right call.

natjjohn

what are peoples thoughts on chubb vs. ekeler as a bench stash?
Both decent stashes. I’d lean Ekeler as he’s shown some flashes and Gordon tends to miss some games every year.

1Pq9lJY.png

Not really that happy with this team. We do a 12 team snake draft and I got 6th pick, AKA one of the worst spots. I should have just drafted all of IND/OAK so I only had 2 teams to keep track of this season, ffs.

Can’t tell who your first pick is (Freeman?), which isn’t a good sign. Your draft looks rough to be honest!

Pejo

Both decent stashes. I’d lean Ekeler as he’s shown some flashes and Gordon tends to miss some games every year.

Can’t tell who your first pick is (Freeman?), which isn’t a good sign. Your draft looks rough to be honest!
Yea, I took Brady since he was the best value left since the RBs I wanted all got taken the first 5 picks in a row. Then until it got back to me, Freeman was the "best" remaining. I'll definitely be entertaining trades and watching waver wire.

I like your team, way better than 2-11. HATE the draft grades, they mean shit because they dont take anything relevant into account, just old stats... it doesnt know that mccaffreys gonna be fed like a stud this year - gonna be streaming QBs like me in one of my leagues ( going dalton this week, goff and ryan will be avail for foreseeable future)

youre weakness is WR though. only time will tell of course.

natjjohn

Final spot advice:

Have locked in

Gurley
McCaffrey
AJ Green
Allen Robinson
kelce

Final spot debating between:

Baldwin (experts like him this week, but I don’t see it)
Cohen
Burkhead
Kyle Rudolph

Debating mostly between Burkhead and Cohen. Over/Under high on both their games. PPR league! .2points per carry and return yards (Cohen boost as he does PR).

what do y’all think?

NickFire

So, 12 team league. Got 3rd pick. Draft report card = A. BUT my 1st pick (at #3) was BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! Sign the damn tender dude. From what I am reading there are no other options because of deadlines besides releasing him, and that obviously won't happen.

In case you're wondering, I still have him in my starting lineup. Fingers crossed. I know he started slow last year from the hold out, but with unrestricted free agency looming he's gotta be in top condition. Right?

Last edited:

natjjohn

So, 12 team league. Got 3rd pick. Draft report card = A. BUT my 1st pick (at #3) was BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! Sign the damn tender dude. From what I am reading there are no other options because of deadlines besides releasing him, and that obviously won't happen.

In case you're wondering, I still have him in my starting lineup. Fingers crossed. I know he started slow last year from the hold out, but with unrestricted free agency looming he's gotta be in top condition. Right?

Can’t see him playing this week. Hope you drafted Conner

Ya, he ain't playing this week at the very least. I seriously think Bell might actually go to Week 10, play his 6 games to fulfill his year of service, and flip off the Steelers before heading to free agency.

Final spot advice:

Final spot debating between:

Baldwin (experts like him this week, but I don’t see it)
Cohen
Burkhead
Kyle Rudolph

Debating mostly between Burkhead and Cohen. Over/Under high on both their games. PPR league! .2points per carry and return yards (Cohen boost as he does PR).

what do y’all think?

im no expert by any means.... but heard burkhead is supposed to get eased into his role due to his recent knee injury... baldwin or cohen are the safer plays. baldwin is the wr1 in seattle so you gotta imagine hes getting 5-9 targets? cohen may be the safer ppr play.

week 1 is always hard though, so speculative!

im currently starting burkhead but really dont want to in one of my leagues... but its either that or alfred morris

N NickFire pick up conner now and play him if possible

Last edited:
there were some astronomical numbers, really hope things come crashing back to reality.

freaking god damn bucs/saints.... nothing like starting my FFseason off with -12 points from my Def. no coming back from that.
gonna give njoku another chance as he got 7 targets...but may cut him and just try my luck on whats left out there rn.
played rudolph in my other league and luckily his 1 catch ended up being a td, saved me there... considering cutting him to, production just isnt there - too many mouths to feed.

overall not too miffed - lost one league, won 2nd second, and nfl team won. so 2/3 made for a happy weekend. (3/4 if you include some SEC ball)

Last edited:

Pejo

Well, as bad as my draft was, it looks like I should eke out a win this week. Luckily the team I was playing shat the bed. Ironically, I have more bench points in all but 2 positions, but that's how she rolls. I have 2 players tonight (Lynch and Cooper) and they need a combined 10 points. Let's go OAK I guess, lol.

Well, as bad as my draft was, it looks like I should eke out a win this week. Luckily the team I was playing shat the bed. Ironically, I have more bench points in all but 2 positions, but that's how she rolls. I have 2 players tonight (Lynch and Cooper) and they need a combined 10 points. Let's go OAK I guess, lol.

you should be fine, good luck!

@all
pro tip: if you're streaming Defenses, and have already "won" the week's matchup...drop your D and pick up John Kelly, great way to beat the waivers in case Gurley goes down tonight. If he doesn't, no harm done, just drop him and pick up your new D on weds.

who are you guys targeting in waivers this week?

we use in faab in both my leagues so i'm targeting:

league 1: I'm gonna drop Alfred Morris in hopes to get Lindsey, Ekeler, geronimo Allison, or Enunwa
league 2: going after Lindsey, and streaming Alex Smith vs. colts I think.

if you're crazy like me, you set an alarm to get your ass out of bed to check the moment waivers clear, so you can have first dibs on the FA list. then go back to bed :)

Last edited:

bucyou

homer glasses on, but i picked up chris godwin bucs WR due to desean problem being in concussion protocol, godwin is a beast anyway

homer glasses on, but i picked up chris godwin bucs WR due to desean problem being in concussion protocol, godwin is a beast anyway

whats the latest on jackson? I drafted godwin, kept on bench last week, not sure the odds of jackson this week though. odds are this ont be the last time jackson is injured this season at least.

Drop Baldwin to chase after Chris Thompson? PPR, .2points per carry

Baldwins injured for the foreseeable future right? i think he tore his MCL... i'd do it. hows your WR/RB depth? would you start Thompson this week? and if you cant get thompson, i'm sure theres someone else on the wire thats worthwhile than stashing an injured dude for 4-6 weeks like Lindsey

Last edited:
whats the latest on jackson? I drafted godwin, kept on bench last week, not sure the odds of jackson this week though. odds are this ont be the last time jackson is injured this season at least.

Jackson's a supremely talented dude that will permanently be injury-prone because he's so small. You're probably right that he'll be injured later on in the season, sadly.

I had the luck of watching that man in college--he was something else.

who are you guys targeting in waivers this week?

we use in faab in both my leagues so i'm targeting:

league 1: I'm gonna drop Alfred Morris in hopes to get Lindsey, Ekeler, geronimo Allison, or Enunwa
league 2: going after Lindsey, and streaming Alex Smith vs. colts I think.

if you're crazy like me, you set an alarm to get your ass out of bed to check the moment waivers clear, so you can have first dibs on the FA list. then go back to bed :)

waiver update for me:

league 1: nabbed Lindsey, Ekeler, ryan grant, dropped Alfred Morris and Chubb
league 2: missed on all waivers, got Goff(streamer) and Hines(hold) off free agency... foregoing a Defense rn, may drop hines if match up is really close late sun/mon for a D.

happy with how league 1 is shaping up, league 2 team is questionable, which it shouldnt be.

Flex opinions welcome:

chris godwin vs. Phi
duke johnson vs. NO
kenny golladay vs. SF
corey davis vs. Hou
john brown vs. Cin
Robert woods vs Ari

trade thoughts:
being offered Dion Lewis for one of my many wr2/3s, unsure if I should at this point. who would you give up for lewis?

Last edited:

natjjohn

waiver update for me:

league 1: nabbed Lindsey, Ekeler, ryan grant, dropped Alfred Morris and Chubb
league 2: missed on all waivers, got Goff(streamer) and Hines(hold) off free agency... foregoing a Defense rn, may drop hines if match up is really close late sun/mon for a D.

happy with how league 1 is shaping up, league 2 team is questionable, which it shouldnt be.

Flex opinions welcome:

chris godwin vs. Phi
duke johnson vs. NO
kenny golladay vs. SF
corey davis vs. Hou
john brown vs. Cin
Robert woods vs Ari

trade thoughts:
being offered Dion Lewis for one of my many wr2/3s, unsure if I should at this point. who would you give up for lewis?

I’d take Dion. You appear to have a lot of WR depth. Don’t worry about Henry. Dion will get his regardless.

Kinda toss uppy. Going just off logic, I’d probably start Godwin or Woods. Jackson may not play. For whatever reason, can see starting Golladay. Think Lions bounce back in week 2 and can see Golladay being a beneficiary.

natjjohn

Roethlisberger vs Rivers?

Rivers did well for me last week, but now Big Ben gets the same D Rivers lit up at home. Leaning that way. Rivers though is playing against the worst team in the NFL

Roethlisberger vs Rivers?

Rivers did well for me last week, but now Big Ben gets the same D Rivers lit up at home. Leaning that way. Rivers though is playing against the worst team in the NFL

tough one! you could go either way here really, Monday night games tend to be more of a toss up, akin to TNF and SNF. Rivers has more chance of a shoot out, but rams D is way better than buccs. maybe fitz can get in ashootout with ben as secondarys/Ds arent amazing

...maybe go big ben?

won second match in one league ( him having the lowest score of the week, me having the second HAH! albeit i didnt play a defense...) brings me to 2-0 there

expecting brandon marshall to not score 16.96 pts tonight - if that holds, ill be 1-1 in my other league. i opted to not play a defense in this matchup either

getting -12 from my defense the first week made me swear them off.

howd everyone do?

get your waivers ready folks-

league 1: i have goff, I kinda want to stream matt ryan vs the saints. very hesitant to fall for Fitzpatrick. everyones amazed by him rn, and all the analysts are saying pick him up hes on fire....but they also follow it up with, get him while hes hot, becasue he cant keep up the production...so do you really want to risk it and be stuck with the old fitzpatrick when he comes crashing back to reality? you've got to figure D's are going to pick up on their pass heavy attack soon enough...

other than that Javourius Allen and Desean Jackson are on the wire, thinking about putting in a bid for them.

Also, have njoku who i am gonna try to replace with jesse james, will dissely, or ebron

league 2:
spent heavy last week. dont really have much i need. i may try to backup Luck, with another QB. aside from that, I may sit this week out from faab spending.

who you targeting?

Last edited:
Top Bottom