• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Dash27

His father is claiming the pieces his son blew himself and others up into, are all innocent:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/father-suspected-manchester-bomber-says-son-innocent-164057058.html

Dad also may or may not be involved with Al Qaida.

Even though the senior Abedi denied that he was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting group, former Libyan security official Abdel-Basit Haroun told the AP that the elder Abedi was a member in the 1990s of the group, which had links to al-Qaida.

"My message to the world is that there are hidden hands that want to tarnish the image of Muslims who live in the west," he said.

Rktk

Government wants everyone's internet activity recorded and searchable by the Welsh Ambulance Service and HMRC because terrorism and paedos and yet what may have prevented this attack was following up information and additional resources for monitoring a person of interest.

Police were apparently warned about his radicalisation. He was shopped by the Muslim community because they were worried about his extreme views. Sounds like the security services may have slipped up here.

Dash27

One would think that should have surfaced when he immigrated to the UK.

You'd think. Although I hesitate to blame the vetting until I know more about how many people we are talking about. I feel like they are given an impossible job. How do you vet so many people thoroughly year after year. Are they given enough tools, funding etc. Can they even do checks? People freak out as soon as someone is inconvenienced.

Until something like this happens of course .

Oof, so:

- this kid's dad has links to Al-Qaeda
- the kid himself had apparently traveled to Syria and Libya recently
- a community worker notified police about him expressing support for terrorism/extremism
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a rhinoceros." - Manchester police

liquidtmd

Banned
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a rhinoceros." - Manchester police

Walk that goddamn beat for one day.

See the shit they see.

See the public shit on them

See politicians use them as scapegoats

Work the 13 hour shifts they do.

Work for the pay they do.

Hell the shit they saw as first responders to this attack would probably haunt any Gaffers dream till the end of their days. For them, it was Monday.

Meadows

Banned
flat3.jpg

armed raid in N Manchester

Meadows

Banned
MEN:

A woman has been arrested in connection with the Manchester Arena suicide bombing following an armed raid on a block of flats in Blackley, in the north of the city, Greater Manchester Police said.

MEN:

A woman has been arrested in connection with the Manchester Arena suicide bombing following an armed raid on a block of flats in Blackley, in the north of the city, Greater Manchester Police said.

Moving very fast then. I presume the image above is from that block of flats?

Oof, so:

- this kid's dad has links to Al-Qaeda
- the kid himself had apparently traveled to Syria and Libya recently
- a community worker notified police about him expressing support for terrorism/extremism

All of these are massive red flags but the bolded really gets me. How do you let someone with ties to Al-Qaeda into your county. Baffling.

i have heard people say that isis attacks in the Middle East is way more frequent. in fact, i hear they kill way more people there than in the western world, and apparently that is where they recruit a lot from too

i have heard people say that isis attacks in the Middle East is way more frequent. in fact, i hear they kill way more people there than in the western world, and apparently that is where they recruit a lot from too

Well they are at war. They control large areas of Syria and Iraq along with smaller areas in half a dozen other countries.

All of these are massive red flags but the bolded really gets me. How do you let someone with ties to Al-Qaeda into your county. Baffling.

Because he was anti-Gadaffi at a time we were. Not 100%, but Isn't it the case that Bin Laden was once funded or armed by the Americans? Allegiances change. I'm sure there's lots of cases of the West having once funded people fighting a common enemy only for it to turn around on them.

THE:MILKMAN

Because he was anti-Gadaffi at a time we were. Not 100%, but Isn't it the case that Bin Laden was once funded or armed by the Americans? Allegiances change. I'm sure there's lots of cases of the West having once funded people fighting a common enemy only for it to turn around on them.

Didn't Rumsfeld do deals with Saddam in the early 80's?

Yeah, let's NOT be a dickhead and insult the people that serve and protect us. They've probably thwarted a ton more plots that we don't even know about.

Walk that goddamn beat for one day.

See the shit they see.

See the public shit on them

See politicians use them as scapegoats

Work the 13 hour shifts they do.

Work for the pay they do.

Hell the shit they saw as first responders to this attack would probably haunt any Gaffers dream till the end of their days. For them, it was Monday.

Ok fine, maybe it's a little unfair, but there are a lot of signals that this guy was a problem, and it seems like those signals were ignored.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Police were apparently warned about his radicalisation. He was shopped by the Muslim community because they were worried about his extreme views. Sounds like the security services may have slipped up here.

And there is fuck all they can do because they would be labelled as racist. They are forced to sit by until someone acts. It's terrible.

edbrat

Because we're not like North Korea who automatically blame the kids for the sins of the parent. We're better than that. Or at least that is what some of us aspire to. A philosopher wrote this centuries ago but it's still true if easy to lose sight of in the fury that atrocities provoke:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Top Bottom