• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24 - Indian Adaptation Coming - Starring Anil Kapoor AKA President Hassan. Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/celebrity/anil-kapoor-is-india-s-jack-bauer-1.1110519

Jack Bauer with a mustache = Best Jack Bauer?

Interview with Kapoor in bold:

First the good news: 24, the award-winning espionage thriller series that swept the world will be made in India.

Now, for the fantastic news: Slumdog Millionaire star Anil Kapoor will be India’s answer to Jack Bauer, the iconic Counter Terrorism Unit (CTU) leader who’s out to save the world in just 24 hours.

Any doubt whether the Bollywood hero Kapoor can match the repressed, gravelly-voiced torturer is put to rest when his voice booms across the phone from India this week.

“What’s happening in your world?” said Kapoor, in a commanding voice.

Clearly, that question would be a loaded one if it was directed at him. Kapoor turns TV producer with the Indian version of 24 and is now busy with the pre-production and casting call.

Set in Mumbai, the season 1 of India’s 24 will see him play a modern-day saviour as he thwarts multiple terrorist plots, tackles bio-chemical threats and obliterates presidential assassination attempts.

“24 is going to be bigger than any film that I have ever done,” said Kapoor in an interview with tabloid!.

Kapoor, 55, is no stranger to the hit US series. He entered the explosive 24 world when he made an appearance in season 8 as President Oman Hassan of the fictional Islamic Republic of Kamistan. Playing a leader in the hit US series was the trigger, says the actor.

“That’s where it all started. After I shot a few episodes in the US, I had this feeling this show would work wonderfully in India,” said Kapoor. A year of negotiations later, 24 will be broadcast on Colors TV in summer 2013.

“All through my career, I have always done things that are out-of-the-box and challenging, be it Woh Saat Din or Lamhe. It’s all about convictions and doing work that you believe in,” said Kapoor, who claims that he has turned down multiple lucrative TV appearance offers in the past.

Raj Nayak, CEO of Colors Television, said the actor’s decision is a “brave one”.

“I can’t think of any other person who can play Jack Bauer better. It takes a lot of courage for a big star like him to be willing to take on such a role. This could be a game changer for a lot of people … it could transform lives,” said Nayak. The original Emmy-winning 24 resurrected Kiefer Sutherland’s career and gained his cult status with Jack Bauer replacing Chuck Norris in jokes — the ultimate nod of acceptance.

“There will be lots of parallels drawn between the US show and India. Anil faces huge pressure, as he will be compared to Kiefer. But as long as we put up a good show, the viewers will be happy,” said Nayak. The Indian 24 will be tweaked to suit the Indian sensibility.

“That is our biggest challenge. In the US, you can do a show on anything and get away with it. In India, you have to be politically and religiously sensitive. You have to keep community, caste in mind,” said Nayak. The Indian team may toe the line carefully, and their brief when it comes to breaking into Bollywood-style song and dance in tense terrorist situations is clear.

“No. We are keeping 24 as real as possible,” said Kapoor.

Excerpts from the interview:

Q: How did the Indian version of 24 come about?

A: After shooting for a few episodes in season 8 of American 24, I felt as if this show was more relevant for India. I just had this feeling that India is ready for such a series. I then spoke to Robert Cochran [executive producer of original 24] and said I want to take this to India. He said: ‘Why don’t you finish the shoot and we will talk about it.’ He was my major support and he spoke to 20th Century Fox and sorted out the rights. It took me one year to work out the deal to get the franchise to India. After sealing the deal, I got down to speaking to broadcasters and now it’s going to be a reality in India.

Q: Are you convinced that you can play Jack Bauer, an iconic role owned by Kiefer Sutherland?

A: As a matter of fact, they [the US-based producers] said they will agree to the deal only if I were to play the lead role. Both 20th Century Fox in LA and Colors Viacom in India had just one condition: I play Jack Bauer. When I heard that, I was excited about it, but I asked them if I will be able to do it convincingly. They are all optimistic that I am the right choice.

Q: Have you been contemplating long about your TV debut?

A: All through my career, I have always done work that I found challenging and roles that nobody has done before. Over the years, I had many TV offers — to judge a reality show, be a part of a dance show or to play anchor. But I kept turning them down. Ultimately, when I did my first TV host role, it was in Slumdog Millionaire. I did that in my capacity as an actor and a professional. My next stint with TV was with the US-based 24. I enjoyed it so much — the aesthetics, the scale and the production values — that I felt that the exposure was so much bigger and exciting than a film. That was a trigger. I am so happy that I waited and didn’t do work that I didn’t believe in. I have always felt that when you do something you enjoy, then the results are much better.

Q: Indian television is dominated by “saas-bahu” family dramas and Bigg Boss brand of reality TV. Do you think 24 can grab eyeballs?

A: 24 is a hybrid show, which combines action, thrills and drama. India is ready for such a show because of late, the viewers are loving the macho, heroic stars. Look at the recent films that have clicked at the box office. It’s not those high-voltage dramas about saas-bahu [shows that highlight the relationship between women and their in-laws] or those romantic sagas. Films that have all-conquering heroes have worked exceedingly well. Also, our youngsters are craving for serials such as 24.

Q: There’s a lot of scepticism surrounding the effectiveness of counter-terrorism squads among Indians. Will viewers buy into it?

A: Terrorism is a very relevant topic in India. There has been no terrorism attack in America for so many years. But in India, Pakistan and this part of the world, it’s more constant and therefore relevant. This show is not just about terrorism, it’s about patriotism. It’s a show about a man torn between his love for his family and his duty towards his country. 24 is not just about terrorism, it’s got so many layers.

Q: Will India’s 24 be similar to the original in terms of plot and has it been tweaked to suit Indian sensibility?

A: We are going ahead with the belief that 90 per cent of Indians don’t know anything about 24. For us, that’s our real audience. For them, when they see a show that has such fantastic action sequences, techniques and sound effects along with a fabulous hero, they will be bowled over. What can be more fabulous than a show about a hero who protects his family and his own country?

Q: The original has been criticised for its graphic violence and Jack Bauer’s questionable method of torture. Have you scaled down the violence in India’s 24?

A: Our 24 will be true to the content in the original. We are not going to dumb it down. We are going to be at the forefront of bringing good content to the small screen. Having said that, we need to be sensitive about the dos and don’ts. Beyond that, we will try to raise the bar.

Q: Have you met with the anti-terrorism squad in India to prepare for your role?

A: Absolutely. Our team including the writers and directors are so committed that they want to make the show as real as possible. I am surrounded by a wonderful team and that makes my job as an actor easier. There’s a sea of difference in the performance of an actor when backed by a strong team and his performance when he isn’t backed by one. I am blessed to have such a wonderful team.

Q: What was Kiefer Sutherland’s reaction to you playing his role for Indian viewers?

A: I haven’t met him after the end of my shoot with him in the US. I am sure he’s aware of it and I have even heard that he is very excited about it.

Q: Will India’s Jack Bauer break into a dance in your 24 and are we expecting more Bollywood stars to join your crew?

A: It’s not going to be illogical. The show will touch upon reality. 24 is not about fantasy. It’s fiction that’s real. Regarding the casting, we will try to introduce as many real faces as possible. The cameos may require seasoned actors, but we will try our best to introduce fresh faces.

anil-kapoor.jpg

24-anil-kapoor-2.jpg

Rich!

Heh, he was badass in S8 as the president.

However, having a president from 24 playing Jack Bauer in 24? THIS WILL BE FUCKING SURREAL.

Get Kiefer Sutherland to play the American president. That will make this version complete.

Heh, he was badass in S8 as the president.

However, having a president from 24 playing Jack Bauer in 24? THIS WILL BE FUCKING SURREAL.

Get Kiefer Sutherland to play the American president. That will make this version complete.

Anil Kapoor played the president of the States?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Will there be a dance sequence where the main character dances with his bros in order to impress his beautiful, sexy, yet conservative love interest?

Rich!

Anil Kapoor played the president of the States?

No.

Anil Kapoor played the Middle Eastern President in S8.
Kiefer Sutherland played Jack Bauer.

So with Anil Kapoor playing Jack Bauer in the Indian version, it's only logical for Kiefer Sutherland to play the American President who's come to visit India. Indiabauer has got to protect him. Kiefer Sutherland can be all vulnerable and shit before unleashing his inner badass, and revealing he was once a Bauer too.

I will watch the second half of season 7 and move on to season 8 to celebrate. Ah who am I kidding. I'll watch 1-5 and call it a day.

Hope they bring this new one over though, I wants to see.

Rich!

I will watch the second half of season 7 and move on to season 8 to celebrate. Ah who am I kidding. I'll watch 1-5 and call it a day.

Hope they bring this new one over though, I wants to see.

What the fuck dude

The second half of S8 is the absolute most badass series of episodes ever in 24. Jack Bauer goes off the fucking chain! Case in point:

President Logan didn't know what the fuck hit him that day.

No.

Anil Kapoor played the Middle Eastern President in S8.
Kiefer Sutherland played Jack Bauer.

So with Anil Kapoor playing Jack Bauer in the Indian version, it's only logical for Kiefer Sutherland to play the American President who's come to visit India. Indiabauer has got to protect him. Kiefer Sutherland can be all vulnerable and shit before unleashing his inner badass, and revealing he was once a Bauer too.

This would be amazing.

It'd be even more amazing if this were a sequel to the original American 24, and it's revealed that Bauer is now the President of the United States.

why not that guy from the gif where he pulls a dude mid air out of a flipping jeep?

edit: well shit, its right above me lol.

DiscoJer

He looks like Jack Black more than Jack Bauer.

Then again, Tom Hanks started off doing comedic roles and switched pretty well

effzee

I loved 24! I grew up watching Anil's movies! Don't know how to feel about this or how they will pull it off. Production values will have to be on par or better.

Vanish

So, youd condense a show with a 24 hour real time gimmick into 2-3 hours? How would that be 24 then and not some random suspense thriller?

Well there's been talk of a 24 movie for years now, but still nothing. I think the idea they were having was that the movie would take place over the course of a day with the last hour of the movie being real-time, or something.

And even though I loved all the seasons, I don't feel like the season 8 finale was a proper series finale. I've been kinda hoping that, since we're not getting another season, the movie would serve as the proper series conclusion.

Fivefold

Banned
Man I miss 24, that was probably the longest running show I watched religiously and did not get disillusioned about when it was over (hello Lost).

Chloe + Jack best friends 5ever 3>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom