• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Kyoufu

Now that each quest can have at least 3 large monsters active in the same map, they will need a good amount of large monsters so things don't feel too samey.

Khezu

I really hope it's like tri and we get mostly new monsters.

I'm sick of 1st and 2nd gen monsters.

3rd gen can join the party if need be.

4th gen is ok too I suppose, not my favorite, but it's fine.

Raide

Now that each quest can have at least 3 large monsters active in the same map, they will need a good amount of large monsters so things don't feel too samey.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's why I think the variant stuff might be a focus as the game develops. Hoping for mini versions.

I also wonder how the dynamic between Rathian and Rathalos will pan out haha.

Raide

Never played one before but the footage is interesting to me.

Is there a single player story campaign you go through in these games?

It tends to be fairly simple. Mainly "go collect/kill/capture this thing". It's possible the more VA for the characters might flesh out the story but it really only serves as a training device that teaches you all the skills and then throws you out on your ass to fight more monsters!

You can play the game mostly solo but you do miss out on the thrill of playing with other hunters and hunting even mightier beasts.

Although the Western translations can be quite funny and silly, I do not believe that ANYONE ever plays MH for the "story". And I for one am damn glad about that. Although the hunts themselves can be serious, the overall tone of MonHun is that it doesn't take itself very seriously. The hunts are their own stories and you get to make your own stories when playing MH!

mas8705

There is, but they are honestly seen a tad bit like "Tutorials" or at the very least something to ease you into the Hunt until you go into the online mode. Bare in mind that you don't need to play online to play the online mode since you can go at those quests solo if you like. They can just be a bit more hard hitting in comparison to the single player. Still, there's nothing wrong with the single player since they can provide it's own fun as you work your way up into the harder hunts.

Roubjon

Best MH imo. You should have a great time. Hunter styles are the shit

I'm going to try to experiment around more with armor sets and weapons this time around. I hilariously made the G-Rank Azure Rathalos Armor set combined with the best Nargacuga greatsword in both MH3U and MH4U. I just was so drawn to getting that +80% Affinity I did it twice.

The constant tips/hints thrown at you by that quest giver.... ugh.

That coupled with the fact that MH doesn't really have a story and it's just about hunting different creatures, has left me with little to no interest in this game. It's a shame cause for the longest time I wanted to give this series a try, but it seems like it won't be my kind of game.

That coupled with the fact that MH doesn't really have a story and it's just about hunting different creatures, has left me with little to no interest in this game. It's a shame cause for the longest time I wanted to give this series a try, but it seems like it won't be my kind of game.
It's a tutorial. She won't be that active in normal quests.

But yeah, this series definitely isn't for everyone (as much as I wish it was). The story, while fun, isn't very deep. The game is a string of boss fights, and the gameplay loop is hunt -> craft -> hunt again (+gather occasionally).

There will probably be a demo, give it a try before you write off the series.

I simply do not understand the logic of a game not having a story as equating to not being worth playing. Sports games don't have them and don't need them. Fighting games don't have them and don't need them. Platforming games typically don't have much of a story (and doesn't really need them outside of "save the princess" type back story). Rogue-like/procedurally-generated games don't tend to have much in the way of a "story" (such as FTL, Spelunky, etc.).

Monster Hunter is at its core a role playing game about being a hunter of beasts and monsters in a mythical fantasy world. Why does there need to be "story" attached to your character's exploits with that setup? Is it not a "story" when you perfectly time (or get damn lucky) a triple charged great sword strike on a charging Tigrex right on its head? Is it not a "story" for a fight with a Lagiacrus on the beach, forcing it back into the ocean, and finally chasing it all the way back to its lair... in a cave under water and finally defeating it there?

Is it not a "story" when you chase down a continually fleeing Yian Kut-Ku who finally has enough of you and goes crazy, spewing fireballs all over the place and knocking you down and pecking at you and making you think that perhaps it has turned the hunt against you?

I don't NEED Monster Hunter to give me any prepared "story" and in fact I'd prefer it to have a bare thread of a story if one really is needed. Give me the setup and get the hell out of my way as I make my own damn stories with this game and that is exactly what the best video games do!
Don't get me wrong - I do enjoy good stories in games (*cough* TLOU *cough*) but I hope my point was made about certain games actually being worse for having a so-called "story".

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that a "story" within a video game is always a bad thing. I was being a bit dramatic. :) I was only trying to say that "But Monster Hunter doesn't NEED a story guys! It's not one of those kinds of games! Trust me!"

Buckle

Started the series with MH4U and last one I played was MHG which both had a pretty huge roster of monsters.

Not sure how I would handle cutting it down from over 70 monsters in one game to 25.

Kyoufu

Started the series with MH4U and last one I played was MHG which both had a pretty huge roster of monsters.

Not sure how I would handle cutting it down from over 70 monsters in one game to 25.

Most of the monsters are garbage in those games so you'll be OK... I think.

Just look at how many dromes and Kutku-like monsters there are and consider if they're even worth your time or not.

Toxi

Banned

The tips and hints are similar to the tutorials in past games, just voiced. After the beginning of the game, it's nowhere near as prominent.

Also, did you play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? It has a story. A pretty decent one for the type of game it is. The climactic final battle is especially good.

Kyoufu

You're a fan of Devil May Cry, which is basically an action game set in combat arenas, like Monster Hunter. :p

You'll need narrative to push through the grind, it's fine to be motivated by crafting your perfect set up, but having a story even if it's a simple one can help with that motivation

Also, fighting games do have stories lol

Toxi

Banned
I hope the final battle of World's story is as good as the final battle of 4U's low rank story.

sRJMbWz.jpg

You'll need narrative to push through the grind, it's fine to be motivated by crafting your perfect set up, but having a story even if it's a simple one can help.

There's definitely a story, usually involving saving a village from increasingly more dangerous threats. All the while you're rebuilding the damaged portions of the town. There are usually Elder Dragons or other truly massive monsters that act as major setpieces to move on the narrative (help, this mega dragon is going to kill us all).

Hunts are broken up by (usually) witty dialogue. Many hunts are "side quests" that you do as favors for people in the town. The game doesn't take itself seriously.

Which is pretty similar to the story in a fighting game minus the cutscenes.

Ridley327

You'll need narrative to push through the grind, it's fine to be motivated by crafting your perfect set up, but having a story even if it's a simple one can help with that motivation

Monster Hunter really hasn't needed a story to help push through the grind for all these years. It's a testament to how great the gameplay loop plays out that it can get away with having some funny flavor text in the quest descriptions and little else.

An interesting byproduct is when you do get invested in the game, you actually can grasp how long it takes someone to get particular gear, so that leads to situations where I come across other people that managed to pull off a full Diablos set and I can immediately recognize their dedication to getting to that point.

There's definitely a story, usually involving saving a village from increasingly more dangerous threats. All the while you're rebuilding the damaged portions of the town. There are usually Elder Dragons or other truly massive monsters that act as major setpieces to move on the narrative (help, this mega dragon is going to kill us all).

Hunts are broken up by (usually) witty dialogue. Many hunts are "side quests" that you do as favors for people in the town. The game doesn't take itself seriously.

Which is pretty similar to the story in a fighting game minus the cutscenes.

That's fine, it's good enough.

Ridley327

I hope the final battle of World's story is as good as the final battle of 4U's low rank story.

sRJMbWz.jpg

Solo Shaggy was a cool way to end the main story. And then it kept going for whatever reason, and it somehow really ends with Rusted Kushala Daora being the threat all along (???), which was really weird. I know there's some quests that open up in the caravan with your progress through G-rank, but there's no story attached to them.

Kinsei

Banned

sRJMbWz.jpg

I wouldn't count on it. Shagaru is the only really good final boss for low rank village in the series.

Solo Shaggy was a cool way to end the main story. And then it kept going for whatever reason, and it somehow really ends with Rusted Kushala Daora being the threat all along (???), which was really weird. I know there's some quests that open up in the caravan with your progress through G-rank, but there's no story attached to them.

It kept going because that was the expansion. The story of the base game ended with Shagaru and they added all of the Dundorma stuff to 4G/Ultimate.

Coiote

I hope we don't have any underwater content in this game like the last Monster Hunter that I played.. I hate underwater segments, because they make me anxious/nauseous.

Shagaru Magala was exhilarating for me the first time. It felt really dramatic. Just you against it in a sacred place. It looked so majestic, and its attacks were really cool. And the music, of course, was amazing. It also helped that it took me around 30 minutes and that I was cutting it close, so when I finally beat it while low on supplies, it was a relief.

I actually really loved the final battle from G. The scope of it all was really neat, and the remixed Kushala Daora theme was really damn good. It was just nice seeing it be a team* effort.

*lol

The last two MH games I've played are Tri and 4 Ultimate.

I liked the stories in both. The characters are charming and you grow to like places like Moga Village since you spend so much time there and get to know the locals.

In 4U you travel with a growing band of characters as you go from village to village. The CG cutscenes are pretty cool too.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the voice acting.

I wonder how many villages there will be and if everyone will have voiced lines.

I hope the cinematic intros for monsters where you're part of them return for World. It's a crime they're only in 4U.

I haven't played Generations yet but I saw what the new intros look like and they are meh compared to the showcases in 4U.

I wonder how big they'll go in terms of new monsters. IT would be cool if they made something bigger than
Dalamudur/Laviente

It's a tutorial. She won't be that active in normal quests.

But yeah, this series definitely isn't for everyone (as much as I wish it was). The story, while fun, isn't very deep. The game is a string of boss fights, and the gameplay loop is hunt -> craft -> hunt again (+gather occasionally).

There will probably be a demo, give it a try before you write off the series.
Good to hear that quest giver won't be as annoying outside of the tutorial.

If there is a demo (SP demo, I'm not interested in betas and such) then I'll definitely give it a try before making my decision. Who knows, maybe I like it.

It's cool if the game doesn't have or need a story. I'm not saying that MH needs one, but rather that I know myself and I know that I'll need a story to keep me invested in these types of "open environment, fight monsters, craft gears, etc" games.

I love doing all of those stuff in Witcher 3, but the reason I love that is because Grealt is a character with his own personality and story. Hell, even in Dragon's Dogma, a game that I loved for its combat and thought its story was as forgettable as they come, I still wouldn't have continued playing it if there wasn't a story to push me forward.

I'm just like that.

The tips and hints are similar to the tutorials in past games, just voiced. After the beginning of the game, it's nowhere near as prominent.

Also, did you play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? It has a story. A pretty decent one for the type of game it is. The climactic final battle is especially good.
Nah, never played a MH game before. Wanted to start with this one, but the lack of any story/plot in the trailers and info that has been released about it, has left me a bit uninterested.
You're a fan of Devil May Cry, which is basically an action game set in combat arenas, like Monster Hunter. :p
Lol.

If there is a demo (SP demo, I'm not interested in betas and such) then I'll definitely give it a try before making my decision. Who knows, maybe I like it.

It's cool if the game doesn't have or need a story. I'm not saying that MH needs one, but rather that I know myself and I know that I'll need a story to keep me invested in these types of "open environment, fight monsters, craft gears, etc" games.

I love doing all of those stuff in Witcher 3, but the reason I love that is because Grealt is a character with his own personality and story. Hell, even in Dragon's Dogma, a game that I loved for its combat and thought its story was as forgettable as they come, I still wouldn't have continued playing it if there wasn't a story to push me forward.

I'm just like that.

Nah, never played a MH game before. Wanted to start with this one, but the lack of any story/plot in the trailers and info that has been released about it, has left me a bit uninterested.

Lol.

This game isnt really about story though I suppose it was pretty servicable in MH4

So who knows what wacky characters they will throw into this game

However at its core its a multiplayer Co Op game. The "story" is your own... as in the say the hunts themselves are the experience. You run around with friends and beat up monsters and work your way up the chain forming memories with your bros

There are plenty of solo hunters who like to challenge themselves but Multiplayer is the heart and soul of the game

Sayad

Are you not a fan of Bloody Palace though?! Honestly, that's the part I loved(and played) the most in DMC4, when the system/gameplay is fun enough, you really don't need a narrative to drive you forward. Though as some have pointed out, MH game does have some resemblance of a story. ;p

There are plenty of solo hunters who like to challenge themselves but Multiplayer is the heart and soul of the game
Yeah, and frankly that's a big part of why I'm very cautions about this game. I know that they've said you can play this completely SP, but if the game is designed around being a MP game and isn't as fun/doesn't have enough good SP centered contents, then I don't wanna be burned by it.

For now I'll just follow it from a far and wait to see what happens with the SP contents that I'm hoping to see in the game.
Are you not a fan of Bloody Palace though?! Honestly, that's the part I loved(and played) the most in DMC4, when the system/gameplay is fun enough, you really don't need a narrative to drive you forward. Though as some have pointed out, MH game does have some resemblance of a story. ;p
Yes I do love BP. But I love it as a side mode that accompanies the campaign. Don't get me wrong, I too had spent much more time in BP than I have in the campaign, but I still wouldn't want a "Bloody Palace only" Devil May Cry game.

And yeah, as I said above, I'll wait and see what happen with story and other stuff in MHW. Hopefully there will be enough of story contents to make me interested enough to try the game.

Yeah, and frankly that's a big part of why I'm very cautions about this game. I know that they've said you can play this completely SP, but if the game is designed around being a MP game and isn't as fun/doesn't have enough good SP centered contents, then I don't wanna be burned by it.

For now I'll just follow it from a far and wait to see what happens with the SP contents that I'm hoping to see in the game.

Yes I do love BP. But I love it as a side mode that accompanies the campaign. Don't get me wrong, I too had spent much more time in BP than I have in the campaign, but I still wouldn't want a "Bloody Palace only" Devil May Cry game.

And yeah, as I said above, I'll wait and see what happen with story and other stuff in MHW. Hopefully there will be enough of story contents to make me interested enough to try the game.

Oh im not trying to drive you away! It is still totally playable in single player and has a single player oriented campaign. And you get a cool cat buddy that hunts with you

Just saying this games shines more as a multiplayer title

I'm just like that.

Lol.

It's all good. You know yourself and that's a good thing. If a well written story in a game like this is important to you to retain your interest then I agree that this might not be your thing. Thanks for not overreacting to my mini-rant even though I went off on you a bit much. I think I was in a bit of a mood when I read your post asking about the game's story and I'm sorry that it set me off but I really didn't mean any offense (and I kinda got a little excited thinking about some of my experiences with past MH games).

Some of my favorite video games have incredible stories (and I only played them for the stories) but MH is not a franchise known for its memorable and carefully crafted, well written stories (even if the game can be funny and silly at times). But that's why there are different games for different folks.

Cheers.

Top Bottom