• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Comandr

Story necesito

Lol.

Monster Hunter has a serviceable enough overarching "story." It's generally that you're the new guy in town and no one knows you, so they send you out on rookie missions and you gradually prove your worth and end up saving everyone from some huge hulking
(HNNNNGGG thinking of a Dalamadur style encounter in MHW!)
monster that would end up destroying everything. It'd say they are mostly your typical hero's journey fare. Side quest dialog and description can also provide little bits of story, history, or just funny nonsense.

As DrROB said, the best memories come from the actual hunts. I have had so many great, hilarious, and heartbreaking hunts with friends. Going out and hunting huge monsters that we had no idea how to deal with, miraculously avoiding a life-ending attack, somehow pulling through even after running completely out of supplies.

I remember one time I was watching my buddy fight a Dreadqueen Rathian by himself. He was way undergeared, and had no experience with her. He carted twice, ran completely out of potions, herbs, and antidotes. Any time he got badly wounded or poisoned the only thing he could do was go all the way back to camp to sleep and fully recover. And he was running out of time. It became apparent that it was a do or die moment. He through caution to the wind and started playing really aggressively. He ended up getting a couple lucky big hits in and with practically no health left, he landed the final blow and she went down. He managed to beat this crazy monster by himself, when we had previously tried to do it together we got smashed silly. He was really proud of himself, and I was really proud of him.

Man I love Monster Hunter.

Defuser

Wouldn't it be sick if we get skin collabs from other non capcom games like they did with MGS?

Like Overwatch x MH

Genji's Dragonblade Longsword
Reinhardt's Hammer
Hanzo's Bow
Ana's Biotic Rifle Bowgun
Mercy's Insect Staff

Wouldn't it be sick if we get skin collabs from other non capcom games like they did with MGS?

Like Overwatch x MH

Genji's Dragonblade Longsword
Reinhardt's Hammer
Hanzo's Bow
Ana's Biotic Rifle Bowgun
Mercy's Insect Staff

Likely to see some since there were a lot of these on the 3DS MH.

Syril

Monster Hunter has a serviceable enough overarching "story." It's generally that you're the new guy in town and no one knows you, so they send you out on rookie missions and you gradually prove your worth and end up saving everyone from some huge hulking
(HNNNNGGG thinking of a Dalamadur style encounter in MHW!)
monster that would end up destroying everything. It'd say they are mostly your typical hero's journey fare. Side quest dialog and description can also provide little bits of story, history, or just funny nonsense.

As DrROB said, the best memories come from the actual hunts. I have had so many great, hilarious, and heartbreaking hunts with friends. Going out and hunting huge monsters that we had no idea how to deal with, miraculously avoiding a life-ending attack, somehow pulling through even after running completely out of supplies.

I remember one time I was watching my buddy fight a Dreadqueen Rathian by himself. He was way undergeared, and had no experience with her. He carted twice, ran completely out of potions, herbs, and antidotes. Any time he got badly wounded or poisoned the only thing he could do was go all the way back to camp to sleep and fully recover. And he was running out of time. It became apparent that it was a do or die moment. He through caution to the wind and started playing really aggressively. He ended up getting a couple lucky big hits in and with practically no health left, he landed the final blow and she went down. He managed to beat this crazy monster by himself, when we had previously tried to do it together we got smashed silly. He was really proud of himself, and I was really proud of him.

Man I love Monster Hunter.

There's nothing quite like beating a monster on your first encounter with no advance knowledge. My favorite ones were in Generations, one was where I fought Astalos on a whim during the quest where you were supposed to run away from it and kicked its ass so hard I lost the ability to be scared of Astalos forever. The other was when I did the same with Glavenus, except that fight was so vicious and lasted so long that the quest actually failed from Time Over shortly after I killed it.

Sayad

Monster Hunter World avatars are available for free on PSN right now.
Been using this:
GCSf1NB.png

MH avatar since... Dunno 7 years now! Time to change lol.

Quick question for any generations players in here, a bit OT but does Seregios' High rank armor in Generations nullify the bleeding status like in MH4U ?

Akainu

I simply do not understand the logic of a game not having a story as equating to not being worth playing. Sports games don't have them and don't need them. Fighting games don't have them and don't need them. Platforming games typically don't have much of a story (and doesn't really need them outside of "save the princess" type back story). Rogue-like/procedurally-generated games don't tend to have much in the way of a "story" (such as FTL, Spelunky, etc.).

Monster Hunter is at its core a role playing game about being a hunter of beasts and monsters in a mythical fantasy world. Why does there need to be "story" attached to your character's exploits with that setup? Is it not a "story" when you perfectly time (or get damn lucky) a triple charged great sword strike on a charging Tigrex right on its head? Is it not a "story" for a fight with a Lagiacrus on the beach, forcing it back into the ocean, and finally chasing it all the way back to its lair... in a cave under water and finally defeating it there?

Is it not a "story" when you chase down a continually fleeing Yian Kut-Ku who finally has enough of you and goes crazy, spewing fireballs all over the place and knocking you down and pecking at you and making you think that perhaps it has turned the hunt against you?

I don't NEED Monster Hunter to give me any prepared "story" and in fact I'd prefer it to have a bare thread of a story if one really is needed. Give me the setup and get the hell out of my way as I make my own damn stories with this game and that is exactly what the best video games do!
Don't get me wrong - I do enjoy good stories in games (*cough* TLOU *cough*) but I hope my point was made about certain games actually being worse for having a so-called "story".

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that a "story" within a video game is always a bad thing. I was being a bit dramatic. :) I was only trying to say that "But Monster Hunter doesn't NEED a story guys! It's not one of those kinds of games! Trust me!"
This reads like that why i'm a gamer video. D:

Sayad

I don't mind stories but if it's a Capcom game I rather not have one, or just keep it as minimal as possible tbh.

What are the expectations for the number of locations?! Watching this video and the map is huge and way more complex than anything we had before in MH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex6I3we3qYI

I think we might get like three or four maps max considering the scale!

salromano

Capcom put up a new video interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUduAPmCIw

Nothing really new, but here's the transcript:

Ryozo Tsujimoto (Producer)

The series has been going on for 13 years now, and we've just announced the latest title, Monster Hunter: World, which sees the series returning to home consoles for the first time in quite a while.

All the know-how we've built up over all those years making Monster Hunter games is being put to use to make the best game we can for current consoles.

We have made changes and additions where we have deemed necessary, in order to bring you guys the ultimate evolution of Monster Hunter.

Kaname Fujioka (Executive Director)

Our E3 announcement trailer showcased a variety of game features. What we especially wanted to show off was the seamless game experience featuring a living, breathing ecosystem in which monsters and creatures interact with each other, and you, as a Hunter, have to think about how you will fit into that world.

Now that each map is seamless, we thought it might be harder to know where you're supposed to go, and so we have introduced Scoutflies to guide you.

How can I explain it - it's kind of like what hunting dogs do in real life. They pick up the scent of monster tracks and traces and guide you to your target. They can also point out gatherable items, so the hunting support they provide will be a key part of Monster Hunter: World.

We've been reconsidering a lot of things for this game and redesigning some aspects from scratch. This time, the hunter character is part of a research commission, which has been sent to explore this dangerous new world that no one has ever been to before and is filled with all kinds of undiscovered monsters.

You're all no doubt interested to know more about the monsters we showed in the trailer. Series fans will be familiar with the one appearing right at the end: Rathalos, which is an iconic creature across the whole series. You'll also see a new monster muscling in on Rathalos's territory. This is the Anjanath, a two-legged dinosaur-like monster.

Ryozo Tsujimoto (Producer)

What we wanted to express with World was a lifelike ecosystem of plants and creatures each with a mind of its own and behaving in a realistic way interacting with each other. The creatures all have their own behaviors, and that means naturally if one monster invades another's territory, they will make decisions on how to react.

Monster Hunter: World is the latest game in the series, which is an opportunity for us to step back and look at Monster Hunter and see what we can do to create something new for the series at this point in time.

We gave it the name “World” for several reasons. It not only refers to the new world of Monster Hunter that we want you to get stuck into within the game, but it's also a reference to the fact that this is the first time that a Monster Hunter game has a simultaneous global launch window, so that players around the world can play at the same time.

Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off, the main team who have worked on the series so far is making it!

So here at E3 we are starting off by trying to get everyone to understand the game by showing how it's played with Capcom staff.

We of course want to give you all a chance to get your hands on the game as soon as possible, and Gamescom in August will be the first time the game will be playable.

Top Bottom