• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Mupod

It is my understanding that the bow
A)does more damage the closer you are
B)gives you less defensive capabilities..right?

ranged weapons have 'critical distance' which is a set distance from the monster. It depends on shot type and is something you get a feel for over time. I'm guessing they will make this less opaque in MHWorld, or at least I hope so.

Generally though, bows want to be pretty close. Just outside teeth and claws and tail range.

And yeah, gunner armor has about half the defense of blademaster armor. Gunners can get more defense in sneaky ways, helmets for example are not restricted by weapon type, so if you can find one with the right skills you can get a nice def boost. But generally if you get hit in gunner armor, you're gonna feel it.

Toxi

Banned
I wanna see a hunt vs the Great Jaggress. It looks like a fun smaller Leviathan (I think it's a Leviathan? The belly reminds me of Zamtrios, but the design seems reptilian). Like a more active Royal Ludroth.

BigEmil

Jesus that monster straight up ate that other one in one bite, then went home and threw up some of it for its kids.

Was that a thing in the other Monster Hunter games?
Not that I recall
I don't know. It looks like a knock-off more than anything. Felt less like MH and more like some generic action game set in a MH world.
image.php

Salt

Every ranged weapons has various ideal distance, and if you are either too close or too far then damage will be like halved.
As for armor, there are Swordmaster (i.e. Melee) armor and Gunslinger (Ranger) armor and if you yield a bow you must wear the later. And yes gunslinger armor has only half defense of that of Swordmaster's.
Seems I'm playing a dangerous game picking a ranger.. challenge accepted

Well, I'm certainly reassured watching this demo again, but the more I watch the more convinced I am that this particular demo is just poorly scripted. All the chasing and fleeing is such a buzz kill.

Toxi

Banned
Bow is definitely the most beginner friendly gunner weapon from what I've heard.

If you ever want to learn a Ranger-esque melee weapon, I'd recommend the Insect Glaive. It comes with an animal companion (the Kinsect) and lets you do acrobatic pole vaults.

I feel damage numbers should be accessible only via a beginner's skill (like Autotracker which permanently displays the monsters' locations in previous entries but costs 15 valuable skill points on the armor), or after you've beaten the game / passed a certain point in the story.

The lack of monster HP bars and damage numbers is a staple of the main series that shouldn't be changed as it helps players understand by themselves what is effective and what isn't. For example the blood animations noticeably change depending on whether you hit a weakspot or not.

The usefulness of Capture Guru is also diminished, I wonder if they will keep it in MHW.

Bow is definitely the most beginner friendly gunner weapon from what I've heard.

If you ever want to learn a Ranger-esque melee weapon, I'd recommend the Insect Glaive. It comes with an animal companion (the Kinisect) and lets you do acrobatic pole vaults.
That's the one with the buffs right a very nice mh veteran listed out all 14 weapons in the other thread for me bow,insect glaive and Blast lance/gun lance I forget the third one

Beats

I like what I saw for the most part. The only negatives for me are the weapon hits don't sound very good compared to the past games but those could just be placeholder right now. Same for the charging effect with weapons like GS.

Looking forward to seeing people analyze the HBG footage.

I'm not sure I agree. Bow kinda has a lot of mechanics going on at once, and it's really easy to do jack shit with the bow if you're not aware of them (charge 1 doing fuck all damage, for example).

LBG is, on the other hand, pretty straight forward and doesn't require the precision and reads of the HBG to stay alive.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Since this is on consoles and PC now, I really hope they just do DLC instead of a full fledged game that is mostly the same as the previous one. This would be one of the few games I would happily buy DLC for.
I wouldn't mind paying for Frontier style Season Packs that add new Areas/Weapons/Enemies to the game but I also want fully fledged Expansion that come out every 6/12/18 months that's adds balance changes,new towns and other stuff.

I would pay premium for a recreated HD version of Misty Peaks map and Pokke Village.

I like what I saw for the most part. The only negatives for me are the weapon hits don't sound very good compared to the past games but those could just be placeholder right now. Same for the charging effect with weapons like GS.

Yeah, GS charge special effects are kinda weak right now.

BUT THE RED FLASH ON THE HUNTER'S SILHOUETTE DURING LS SPIRIT COMBOS IS KINDA AWESOME.

lyrick

First there's no classes: There's no Ranger, Healer, Buffer, etc.

EVERYONE is DPS

Every single Weapon has a mechanic that reduces damage if it's used wrong. There's a correct distance to all ranged weapons and there's a correct place on each melee weapon to connect to the monster with the Blademaster tool set.

JP_

Banned
Hope they make another pass on weapon impact effects, but overall it looks great. Been waiting a decade for this.

I feel damage numbers should be accessible only via a beginner's skill (like Autotracker which permanently displays the monsters' locations in previous entries but costs 15 valuable skill points on the armor), or after you've beaten the game / passed a certain point in the story.

The lack of monster HP bars and damage numbers is a staple of the main series that shouldn't be changed as it helps players understand by themselves what is effective and what isn't. For example the blood animations noticeably change depending on whether you hit a weakspot or not.

The usefulness of Capture Guru is also diminished, I wonder if they will keep it in MHW.

There's no HP bar, you still rely on monster behavior to know when it's ready to be captured.

crinale

As far as I know sound became more prompt as your sharpness increased in past entries. I may be remembering it wrong though..

Floody

Oh, I'm super in, this looks right up my alley. Hopefully the have a similar demo in English at some point, would make it a lot easier to get a couple more friends on board.

Ridley327

As a GS player, this gif triggers me so much. It'd be one thing not to do a level 3 charge, but he was right next to a broken stump that he could launch himself off of for a jumping attack for the same amount of damage. This is a bad human being and they should feel bad.

Toxi

Banned
That's the one with the buffs right a very nice mh veteran listed out all 14 weapons in the other thread for me bow,insect glaive and Blast lance/gun lance I forget the third one
Yep, you get buffs by launching the Kinsect at different parts of the monster.

The weapons are

Sword and Shield
Dual Blades
Longsword
Greatsword
Hammer
Hunting Horn
Lance
Gunlance
Switch Axe (axe that changes into a sword)
Charge Blade (sword and shield that changes into a giant axe)
Insect Glaive
Bow
Light Bowgun
Heavy Bowgun

EVERYONE is DPS

Every single Weapon has a mechanic that reduces damage if it's used wrong. There's a correct distance to all ranged weapons and there's a correct place on each melee weapon to connect to the monster with the Blademaster tool set.
O somebody posted ranger armor I was talking about that not an actual class

EVERYONE is DPS

Everyone can play ANY role on the team is more apt

But yeah each member can contribute in a variety of ways and the weapons and tools at your disposal are incredibly robust

MHW seems to be expanding and evolving fucking

As a GS player, this gif triggers me so much. It'd be one thing not to do a level 3 charge, but he was right next to a broken stump that he could launch himself off of for a jumping attack for the same amount of damage. This is a bad human being and they should feel bad.

hahahah so true but this is a demo of them trying their best to show all the new stuff. Not ace the hunt

Jamm3r

Banned
There's no evidence that there's another game in the works for the Switch, and the developers have repeatedly said that this game was MH5 all but in name. The only thing that points to it was the 4chan rumor that was already debunked.

How was the 4chan rumor debunked? It still stands in some aspects and it's more than like 75% correct. Have already seen word on the GAF there is definitely a Switch MH in the works, there is no reason for there not to be. Capcom has wanted their switch titles to feel different than console titles, so it makes sense for them to have a different approach for the switch version of MH.

In general idk how anyone can be saying the rumor was false just because a few details were off, yet these things could have been early decision. Just how it says MH5, and capcom said they initially were going to call it that. That 4chan rumor was early info, and the leakers we had around this E3 season (SneakersSO) gave us word it'd be coming but didn't go into as much detail. That rumor still stands; expect a Switch MH in the coming years, that follows the tradition.

Lastly, I do not think this game could properly fit on a Switch. The engine is a highly updated MT Framework engine, which Capcom has given it the name of "the World Engine". The beautiful graphics you've been seeing of switch titles are 1st party games, people need to stop overestimating the switch's power. 1st party studio games ALWAYS look and play the best on their respected console. Zelda is a huge game and I regularly experience deep framedrops, more in the docked mode etc. It's a decent hardware, don't get me wrong, but there is current gen titles that will overly stress the switch. (Ex: Both Fate/Extella and DQ Heroes run poorly; a sign the memory is probably substantially under-powered compared to PS4/X1)

How was the 4chan rumor debunked? It still stands in some aspects and it's more than like 75% correct. Have already seen word on the GAF there is definitely a Switch MH in the works, there is no reason for there not to be. Capcom has wanted their switch titles to feel different than console titles, so it makes sense for them to have a different approach for the switch version of MH.

In general idk how anyone can be saying the rumor was false just because a few details were off, yet these things could have been early decision. Just how it says MH5, and capcom said they initially were going to call it that. That 4chan rumor was early info, and the leakers we had around this E3 season (SneakersSO) gave us word it'd be coming but didn't go into as much detail. That rumor still stands; expect a Switch MH in the coming years, that follows the tradition.

Lastly, I do not think this game could properly fit on a Switch. The engine is a highly updated MT Framework engine, which Capcom has given it the name of "the World Engine". The beautiful graphics you've been seeing of switch titles are 1st party games, people need to stop overestimating the switch's power. Zelda is a huge game and I regularly experience deep framedrops, more in the docked mode etc. It's a decent hardware, don't get me wrong, but there is current gen titles that will overly stress the switch. (Ex: Both Fate/Extella and DQ Heroes run poorly; a sign the memory is probably substantially under-powered compared to PS4/X1)

I dunno man

I would expect the switch game to be a 5th gen title. It would certainly break generational precedent if the next Switch game wasnt built as a 5th gen title

Loris146

Lastly, I do not think this game could properly fit on a Switch. The engine is a highly updated MT Framework engine, which Capcom has given it the name of "the World Engine". The beautiful graphics you've been seeing of switch titles are 1st party games, people need to stop overestimating the switch's power. Zelda is a huge game and I regularly experience deep framedrops, more in the docked mode etc. It's a decent hardware, don't get me wrong, but there is current gen titles that will overly stress the switch. (Ex: Both Fate/Extella and DQ Heroes run poorly; a sign the memory is probably substantially under-powered compared to PS4/X1)

Rumor said also :

Only few weapons are in -> False
Weapons are streamlined--> False
Open World --> False
Qte Galore --> False

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure I agree. Bow kinda has a lot of mechanics going on at once, and it's really easy to do jack shit with the bow if you're not aware of them (charge 1 doing fuck all damage, for example).

LBG is, on the other hand, pretty straight forward and doesn't require the precision and reads of the HBG to stay alive.
Huh. I always heard Bow was the easiest. I've never played Bow. >_<; Only gunner weapons I've used are Heavy Bowguns, which are fun but a pain in the ass to learn and a ton of time/money to keep up with the Blademaster stuff.

Kane1345

I feel you. I was also triggered quite bad during this part lol

Yeah can we effectively put the 4chan rumor to rest then?

It was maybe 25% accurate at best?

Maybe not even that based on the recent posts

~Cross~

Honestly worried about world at first but seeing it in action makes it look more like a "real" MH. More real than any of the MH before it, hell they look down right gamey now in comparison. Nothing wrong with that but Im sure as hell not going to miss all the flexing, 10+ year old assets and whatever MHW modernizes as well

Defuser

In the end it's the still MT framework engine that is known to be very versatile in porting to different platforms. Alot of people are just saying it can be done on the switch if they downgrade the visuals, resolution and remove some features just like how MHP3rd is like MH3 but without underwater combat.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member

Quick and dirty. Sorry for the border on some of them. But I really just wanted to highlight one of my favorite new features. I am really loving how dynamic the base camp feels. The interface is decent and very quick after the short transition from the field. This should make multi monster hunts a breeze when you need to adjust for different weaknesses.

And that Palico is just way too cute. Cannot wait to see more of their game play mechanics.

Looks excellent, only concern are with the shiny bug things, I feel like it would be a lot cooler tracking a monster yourself instead of essentially being led to it. unless I'm misunderstanding how they work in which case feel free to correct me.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Huh. I always heard Bow was the easiest. I've never played Bow. >_<; Only gunner weapons I've used are Heavy Bowguns, which are fun but a pain in the ass to learn and a ton of time/money to keep up with the Blademaster stuff.
Speaking as someone who has mained Bow since Monster Hunter Freedom 2 I can tell you that there are not as easy as done people make it out yo be...if you want to use a Bow correctly that is. Since the days of the Kelbi Slingshot in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate I have noticed more and more people pick the Bow only to not know how you use it properly and barely contribute to the Hunt.

Orayn

Looks excellent, only concern are with the shiny bug things, I feel like it would be a lot cooler tracking a monster yourself instead of essentially being led to it. unless I'm misunderstanding how they work in which case feel free to correct me.

You need to find and interact with footprints, drool, etc. first before the bugs show you the trail.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Nintendo & Switch is literally dead .. who would think MH would become mainstay on other consoles..
The series is still on Switch as well so...they'll live.

Not sure what your post was trying to accomplish other than stirring the console war pot.

Edit: Man that palico gif is glorious

Jamm3r

Banned
Although I still have my doubts it does look amazing. However, I still don't see how this game will sell enough in the the West for it to be a success. It looks last gen compared to most games these days on Xbox, PS4, and PC. And it will be competing with a lot of other games in 2018.

Goodluck to Capcom. Maybe PC sales will help it succeed.

It's obvious you are still salty about it not being on your beloved Switch. We have MH vets, hell even the chat during the Japanese stream people were excited and said things like "Day 1 buy". I really don't know what there is to doubt. I'm curious as to what you're doubting

I think Bow is just kind of involved in terms of using the right charge, aiming so tht you're in the right place when you have the right charge, knowing when to use the special ground targetted attack, using coatings, etc.

In comparison, LBG and HBG really just need to load a shot. Both of their special moves (rapid shot and crouching fire) are pretty intuitive, and the critical distance is far enough that you're not finding yourself without any time to dodge if a monster does a quick tell when you're not ready.

I'm sure other people disagree, but as someone who took to the bowguns pretty quick, bow is still an entirely different beast.

crinale

I think if you don't have the "bug" thing and still have to run thru field to find the monster and "paint" it, then it is going to take forever because map size has increased in twofold. I guess it's logical to have some kind of assistance to tell you an idea of where the target is.

And since this is Monster Hunter, every monster should have the favorite area where players will learn eventually, and once they do they can just fast-travel to the closest waypoint (btw fast-travel seem to be extremely fast) and start the combat immediately.

Zeta Oni

Was there always Shotgun style shells available for the HBG?

Never used it personally, but it looked really cool in the footage.

Novocaine

Can't watch the video at work but it's good to see people happy with it. I've tried a few times to get into the 3DS games, 3U and Genrations but I couldn't stick with them. Will be trying again I suppose but this time from the get go with a hopefully thriving community.

Top Bottom