• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28 developers share their picks for best horror games ever

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A lot of votes for Dead Space, is it that good? Which one is the best?
Subjective, of course, but I found it too bombastic for its own good. You could see most scares coming from a mile away and those were generally jump scares. Still a good game, though.

I definitely prefer games that build dread and tension as opposed to relying heavily on jump scares. Occasional jumps are OK but totally scripted, jump scare based titles like Outlast just don't work for me.

Xater

Thomas Grip

Frictional Games Creative Director
Best Known For: Penumbra, Amnesia

1. Silent Hill
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Resident Evil
4. System Shock 2
5. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

That is pretty much exactly what I expected from him. Best list.

I think that "Horror" works as a theme as well as a genre. Grotesque and unsettling imagery fall well within that theme so Shadows of the Damned, though too far up the list, qualifies on that merit.

And it seems likely that people would want to join the company that made their favourite titles, so seeing a number of Capcpom employees vote Resident Evil could be explained by that. Not 100%, some people are just narcissists (Suda51).

Michiteru Okabe

Capcom Producer
Best Known For: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil: Revelations 2

1. Resident Evil

-----

Capcom Producer
Best Known For: Resident Evil (2002), RE 4, 5, 6

1. Resident Evil

-----

Suda51

Grasshopper Manufacture CEO
Best Known For: No More Heroes, Killer7, Shadows of the Damned

1. Shadows of the Damned

Opinions invalidated.

They're not that far off.

It's a battle between RE, SH, and FF here. Anyone picking Dead Space forgot that you're basically fucking Rambo though the majority of the game.
As a guy that loved Dead Space 1 (before 2 and 3 turned it into even more of an action game) I agree. You weren't exactly vulnerable in those games.

Since when is it not? lol.
I don't think it is that scary. Or at all really.

Shin-Ra

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi

Capcom Producer
Best Known For: Resident Evil (2002), RE 4, 5, 6

1. Resident Evil
2. The Last of Us
3. Dead Space
4. Siren
5. Enemy Zero
That hotel basement, man.

People putting doom at the top are dead on point. There is some societal myopia often about doom. Everyone thinks it is electric guitars and ultraviolence, when in reality, the game was scary as fuck back in the day.

DVCY201

I like how Suda51 has #5 as The Evil Within. I guess Mikami must've sent him a copy of the game when it went gold?

Dat hotel basement sequence was soooo brilliantly designed. But I still would not classify the entire game as horror though..

well, what would you classify as horror though? I love the last of us, but the game didn't necessarily scare me in any moment, but it used a lot of great sound design, and made me anxious a lot of time in some encounters (specially on survivor, didn't play grounded yet), the enemy design is good and their sound is unnerving. I mean, i would easily put it above left 4 dead that while a great game, i wouldn't classify as horror in my opinion for example.

As a guy that loved Dead Space 1 (before 2 and 3 turned it into even more of an action game) I agree. You weren't exactly vulnerable in those games.

I don't think it is that scary. Or at all really.

Scary is subjective. Besides, it doesn't need to be scary to be horror. There are definitely tons of horror elements to TLoU.

Where the hell is the father of horror Shinji Mikami???
He's busy making a game that half of gaf (
not really, but the number of skeptics is depressing
) considers an imminent bomba.

Welcome to the reality that real life is far scarier than any game will ever be.

A lot of votes for Dead Space, is it that good? Which one is the best?
The first one is great on the first playthrough. If you come back to it after playing DS2 you realize that it's got a few too many jump scare sequences and the necromorphs have slightly less bite. Dead Space 2 may as well be a haunted house ride with all the jump scares. The set pieces and gun play are top tier which helps... but those aren't supposed to be the centerpiece of a horror game. DS1 it is, but it pales in comparison to Resident Evil and it's very different from RE4 or TLoU imo.

... it'd be better to avoid talking about DS3.

Love that the Naughty Dog guys picked Fatal Frame 2. That game was terrifying, and largely overlooked among great PS2 games. Up there with Silent Hill 2 imo.

No game has ever put the shits up me quite like FF2. Game was fucking ridiculous. Helped that id normally play it at like 1am, but god it was terrifying.

Personally id go with FF2: Crimson Butterfly, SH2, Amnesia Dark Descent, REmake, SH1 as my top picks.

dab0ne

It's cool that Druckmann put manhunt as 2 on his list because in TLoU
I totally got a manhunt vibe while playing as Ellie.

Neil Druckmann

Naughty Dog Creative Director
Best Known For: Uncharted, The Last of Us

1. Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
2. Manhunt
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Resident Evil
5. Condemned: Criminal Origins

Yesssss! I knew Manhunt was a slight influence on TLOU. I knew it!

Great to see Rockstar's amazing horror/stealth masterpiece getting a shout out.

He's busy making a game that half of gaf (
not really, but the number of skeptics is depressing
) considers an imminent bomba.

Welcome to the reality that real life is far scarier than any game will ever be.

Just because many people think it will be a bomb doesn't mean we want it to be.

True, I probably shouldn't have had said that. Still, TLoU seemed more like Third person shooter than horror.

Well, I wouldn't even call TLoU as shooter. I fired way more bullets in an average RE than in that game, which I mostly played Manhunt style. It's a survival game and I can definitely see why people class it as horror.

Empty

No Siren among the western developers, and an over-representation among the Japanese devs. Interesting.

yeah i thought this was pretty interesting too. you can compare it with fatal frame, which despite being a poor seller compared to resi and silent hill like siren, really seems to have caught on with western developers.

Top Bottom