• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28 developers share their picks for best horror games ever

Matt Gilgenbach
Infinitap Games President
Best Known For: Neverending Nightmares

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Silent Hill 3
3. Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
4. Deadly Premonition
5. Fatal Frame

My list would look similar to this.

But damn Swery. My respect continues to grow for this man for including Nanashi no Game.

I have Fatal Frame 2 on PS3. Tried to play it a few months ago, and I literally got stuck within the first hour. Kept wandering through the house and couldn't find where to go to advance the next 'plot point'.

I should probably give it another shot.

Just because many people think it will be a bomb doesn't mean we want it to be.
True

I should have mentioned the number of skeptics who expect a bomba because they doubt Mikami and Tango. That's the real kicker. Skepticism on sales is perfectly normal and good games do suffer bad sales even with the backing of talented developers. But if there were a select group of people in this industry who could get a free pass during the pre-review period I know for sure Mikami would have to be on that short list.

Game4life

Banned
well, what would you classify as horror though? I love the last of us, but the game didn't necessarily scare me in any moment, but it used a lot of great sound design, and made me anxious a lot of time in some encounters (specially on survivor, didn't play grounded yet), the enemy design is good and their sound is unnerving. I mean, i would easily put it above left 4 dead that while a great game, i wouldn't classify as horror in my opinion for example.

I dont know, maybe its just my mindset but I cant think of fighting with humans no matter how tense the fights are as survival horror. I remember playing that basement sequence and thinking ND should one day make a full game revolving only around weird creatures as enemies with that kind of atmosphere. I agree with you though. What is there in TLOU in terms of horror is much much better than L4D. I too would put TLOU over L4D anyday of the week.

You mean you don't think Doom, Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising 3 are among the best horror games ever?!

Nope :) L4D and DR3 especially should not be in any top horror game list.

SerTapTap

A lot of votes for Dead Space, is it that good? Which one is the best?

Dead Space is great. Play in order. Maybe ignore Dead Space 3. The light gun game is alright, mostly good for (lategame spoilers)
cutting your own motherfucking arm off with the Move

Dascu

which is sad because it's an awful horror game.

It's a good space horror-themed shooter, with a decent selection of scary bits and some really atmospheric areas to explore. Generally fun gameplay and competent storytelling due mostly to the fact that it's kept minimal and Isaac doesn't open his mouth.

The first one is great on the first playthrough. If you come back to it after playing DS2 you realize that it's got a few too many jump scare sequences and the necromorphs have slightly less bite. Dead Space 2 may as well be a haunted house ride with all the jump scares. The set pieces and gun play are top tier which helps... but those aren't supposed to be the centerpiece of a horror game. DS1 it is, but it pales in comparison to Resident Evil and it's very different from RE4 or TLoU imo.

... it'd be better to avoid talking about DS3.

Hmm. I disagree with a lot of this. I think Dead Space and its sequel are truly excellent horror games with tons of great gameplay elements (the dismemberment system, HUD in suit, anti-gravity sections). They play really, really well and the sound design is phenomenal. They also mix in lots of moments where you are anticipating attacks that never come, these games have downtime. Take the
return to the Ishimura in 2 for example. You don't fight anything the first 30 minutes or so.

But as I said earlier, I don't believe a horror game needs to be slow or make you feel extremely vulnerable to be classified as one. Everybody has its own definition of a horror game it seems.

I mean, Braindead is a horror movie but it's completely different in tone and atmosphere than say The Shining.

I'm a fan of horror and Dead Space made me upset. All feeling of horror went away when there was an alien around each and every corner. It wasn't even scary anymore, everything was expected and it became a bore. Also nothing scary about corpses flopping around like a rubber chicken on the floor. Nice atmosphere, but not good enough to make the game interesting.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
To be fair to the Capcom employees, they might have someone they have to answer to if they don't praise their own game. Nothing too serious, but maybe a nuisance caused. At least from what I know of the company work environment.

Hmm. I disagree with a lot of this. I think Dead Space and its sequel are truly excellent horror games with tons of great gameplay elements (the dismemberment system, HUD in suit, anti-gravity sections). They play really, really well and the sound design is phenomenal. They also mix in lots of moments where you are anticipating attacks that never come, these games have downtime. Take the
return to the Ishimura in 2 for example. You don't fight anything the first 30 minutes or so.

But as I said earlier, I don't believe a horror game needs to be slow or mak you feel extremely vulnerable to be classified as one. Everybody has its own definition of a horror game it seems.
That spoiler is the only thing in DS2 that felt remotely like a horror game. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I smiled almost entirely through that sequence while my heart rate skyrocketed.

We are in agreement that the system mechanics in DS1 and DS2 are great. They made great use of the space setting to come up with interesting combat scenarios. Unfortunately most of the game and fighting was done in hallways and rooms that served as a meat grinder for endless waves of enemies. DS2 felt more like Gears of War at way too many points for my taste.

DS2 may be the lucid dream of horror games. I guess being a badass in hell can have it's appeal too.

SerTapTap

But as I said earlier, I don't believe a horror game needs to be slow or make you feel extremely vulnerable to be classified as one. Everybody has its own definition of a horror game it seems.

I mean, Braindead is a horror movie but it's completely different in tone and atmosphere than say The Shining.

That part of Dead Space 2 is great, as is the kindergarden. Was super disappointed in Dead Space 3's wimpy lack of any form of baby/child necromorphs. And that godly stomp after taking a necromorph down, so extremely satisfying. Love the seamless, non-pausing UI too.

Love the necromorph designs in general too. Dismemberment is an awesome mechanic as well, especially combined with the nonconventional "tool" weapons (yet another thing I dislike in 3--normal-ass guns that deal normal-ass non-dismembering damage)

I love the "religion" of it all too, one of the best horror elements IMO. And the audio logs as well.

Stormus

which is sad because it's an awful horror game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; yours just happens to suck.

For those reading this who haven't played Dead Space, do yourself a favor and try the original. It's a fantastic game.

In regards to the list, I think it's funny a lot of these guys selected their own games #1. Classy.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm a fan of horror and Dead Space made me upset. All feeling of horror went away when there was an alien around each and every corner. It wasn't even scary anymore, everything was expected and it became a bore. Also nothing scary about corpses flopping around like a rubber chicken on the floor. Nice atmosphere, but not good enough to make the game interesting.

At least the game knew when to let players breathe and allow the atmosphere and environment tell the story, a skill since forgotten in subsequent modern AAA horror games. That's even where the sequel failed to me, aside from that one part in Chapter 11 or so.

Hoping Evil Within knows how to do that without Action, Action, Action.

While Resident Evil is the most popular series on the list, no developer voted for a game released in the series later than 2005.

Is that really any surprise? Resi games post 2005 leaves us with Resi 5, 6, ORC and the Chronicles games. It's not exactly a stellar line-up.

Since when is Limbo a horror game?

It certainly has horror elements, in the tone and premise.

Nope :) L4D and DR3 especially should not be in any top horror game list.

Me neither dude; I was kidding :)

No Siren among the western developers, and an over-representation among the Japanese devs. Interesting.

It really is a franchise Sony needs to bring back. I played the first game and own Blood Curse, and it is amazingly creepy.

Neil Druckmann said:
Naughty Dog Creative Director
Best Known For: Uncharted, The Last of Us

1. Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
2. Manhunt
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Resident Evil
5. Condemned: Criminal Origins

Akira Yamaoka said:
Composer
Best Known For: Silent Hill, Shadows of the Damned

1. Silent Hill
2. Siren
3. Dead Space
4. Manhunt
5. Prototype

Mike de Plater said:
Monolith Productions Director of Design
Best Known For: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Dead Space
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Limbo
5. Manhunt
triple-h-nod.gif

sublimit

Banned
Michiteru Okabe had the best list (excluding Dead Space.)

Surprised no one mentioned the Clock Tower games though.I haven't played them myself but i keep hearing so many good things about them.

Dascu

Michiteru Okabe had the best list (excluding Dead Space.)

Surprised no one mentioned the Clock Tower games though.I haven't played them myself but i keep hearing so many good things about them.

Ahh, good point. Notable absence of Clock Tower and Haunting Ground.

I just checked the full list and am glad to see other games like Limbo, Deadly Preminition, and Alan Wake on there even if I don't consider all of them to completely be horror games. Those are three of my top five favourite games of 2010.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
yeah i thought this was pretty interesting too. you can compare it with fatal frame, which despite being a poor seller compared to resi and silent hill like siren, really seems to have caught on with western developers.

Because Fatal Frame is goddamn genius.

That part of Dead Space 2 is great, as is the kindergarden. Was super disappointed in Dead Space 3's wimpy lack of any form of baby/child necromorphs. And that godly stomp after taking a necromorph down, so extremely satisfying. Love the seamless, non-pausing UI too.

Love the necromorph designs in general too. Dismemberment is an awesome mechanic as well, especially combined with the nonconventional "tool" weapons (yet another thing I dislike in 3--normal-ass guns that deal normal-ass non-dismembering damage)

I love the "religion" of it all too, one of the best horror elements IMO. And the audio logs as well.

Yeah, I agree with thishttp://kotaku.com/how-the-dead-space-saga-lost-its-way-1640762555 lad:

Mupod

Swery65

Access Games Director
Best Known For: Deadly Premonition, D4

1. Splatterhouse (1988)
2. Nanashi no Game
3. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
4. Alone in the Dark (1992)
5. Silent Hill

Man, I tried to like Nanashi no Game so hard. The concept is AMAZING. Actually playing it is what sucks, dem first person controls.

Splatterhouse series was some crazy shit to encounter as a genesis-owning child. Especially 3's bad ends.

impact

Banned
Bruce Straley

Naughty Dog Game Director
Best Known For: Uncharted, The Last of Us

1. Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Dead Space 2
4. Condemned: Criminal Origins
5. Outlast

LOL you'd expect this dude to have better taste in horror but...

SerTapTap

Great article, this in particularly stands out to me a lot:

Being weaponless or using a one-hit kill health system in a horror game is all well and good, but it leads to a flat, binary experience. Either you're hiding or you're dying.

Absolutely hate the trend of Amnesia-likes with instakill, defenseless gameplay and hiding that often doesn't even work. It's an exercise in frustration, not horror. I'm not hiding in fear, I'm sitting on my ass hoping the AI actually works like it's supposed to instead of magically seeing through walls or shadows (which it often does).

Horror games really need to go back to fighting for your life, though Dead Space in the end did end up going too far toward action/combat. There's definitely a delicate balance involved in horror combat, but cutting out combat isn't the best solution IMO.

You are too much of a capable badass in Dead Space. Especially in Dead Space 2.

Play on a high difficulty from the start. You're fairly capable but still die quickly.

Agreed. They felt more like hyper-grizzly action games rather than straight horror games. Even Resident Evil 4 is more tense.

Melee makes RE4 way less tense than Dead Space. Getting close in Dead Space is extremely risky, it's free kills against most RE4 enemies.

Ted Price
Insomniac Games President
Best Known For: Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Sunset Overdrive

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Doom
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Dead Rising 3
5. Parasite Eve

lol, really Ted......

Also extra large ass hats on order for: Suda 51, Chris Robb, Steve Papoutsis....don't list your own games thats just tacky

mawerick_mc

Neo Member
Got to play some Resident Evil 4, when i put my hands on it (now that it is on Steam).

When F.E.A.R. came out, that made me jump from my seat on various occasions! Bioshock had a moment or two where the awesome believable sound scares you to death. Also Manhunt was extremely disgusting, not so scary, but disgusting.

At least the game knew when to let players breathe and allow the atmosphere and environment tell the story, a skill since forgotten in subsequent modern AAA horror games. That's even where the sequel failed to me, aside from that one part in Chapter 11 or so.

Hoping Evil Within knows how to do that without Action, Action, Action.

As much as I dislike Dead Space, that's actually a valid point. The atmosphere really was the best part and there wasn't a constant in-your-face story.

lol, really Ted......

Also extra large ass hats on order for: Suda 51, Chris Robb, Steve Papoutsis....don't list your own games thats just tacky

I really don't get this. If your game is great, then why not list it? If someone asked Miyamoto to name the best platformers ever, then he damn well better list Mario.

ikariX

Banned
Awesome to see Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 so many times. Truly masterpieces. I still play Silent Hill 2 from time to time

No Siren among the western developers, and an over-representation among the Japanese devs. Interesting.

Siren is the best horror series so it was pretty much under-represented everywhere. :)

My Top 5 would be:

1) Siren 2
2) RE4
3) Siren
4) RE2
5) Cthulhu: DCotE

EDIT: One western dev listed Siren: Blood Curse (aka the worst game in the series, albeit still good), so the series wasn't completely ignored by Western devs.

Top Bottom