• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Is Teasing Bioshock News For This Week

Mokus

Bioshock 2 was made without Ken Levine and it was a great game all its own. It refined all the gameplay elements of the first game while delivering a satisfying story, though IMO not as mind shattering as the first. All I'm saying is that even without Ken's involvement, a very good Bioshock game can be had.
That is true, but it was possible because how close they kept the events to the original. It was key to respect Bioshock 1's vision and not trying to hard "I know how to make it even better".

Now why would Ken Levine involvement be so important? Is that beyond the Bioshock games are really good at - gameplay, atmosphere, level design - the story had an incredible depth (often philosophical). And it's all thanks Levine. Hard to imagine any other game developer will be able to prioritize this, or even understand its importance.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Hmmmm.... maybe a remake of the remaster for 70€ each ? 🤔
It worked for a small indie named "Mean Cat", people said it's OK to pay full price for a new old game because they worked very hard to change a beard texture to 4K and also, if you never played the game, it's totally normal to pay 70€ after 10 years.
The Nutty Professor Dancing GIF by Laff

Salz01

Please. Really hope there is an announcement. Play the bioshock games routinely. Hope it’s not in space, although it could be different biomes on the moon or some thing.

A Man, A City, A Lighthouse.
Blank page you can do anything.
This does not need to be a direct tie in to any existing game.
Is the Antartic setting still available?

YukiOnna

Interesting, I'm completely the opposite. I hated Infinite, and felt that Rapture's undersea world was dripping in atmosphere. I also feel like the first 2 Bioshocks were a bit more horror themed than whatever Infinite had going on.

Did you play System Shock? If so, what were your thoughts about that?
Oh it's not that I dislike Rapture or anything. The first game I felt it faltered in portraying it from a story point of view where it was barebones and ended just... like that. How it's utilized in Infinite + DLC felt more rewarding and I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories. So if they did Rapture again, I think it's overstaying its welcome. Personally, I was enamored by the cloud city of Columbia because of its vibrant colours and portrayal of American ideals and exceptionalism.

I haven't played System Shock. Is it worth visiting at this time?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Bioshock Infinite is the only one I like because of the main characters. Bioshock 1, was not only vomit for me, but too overrated...

I'm still sorry for having the hype when it was announced on ps3 and pc.

JonSnowball

Bioshock and Bioshock 2 have had consistent Steam depot updates for over a year at this point. I'd imagine they're refreshing the dog shit quality Remastered releases and adding raytracing.

Doom85

Prequel has me worried, that likely implies set in Rapture or Columbia (or both). Bioshock 2, while great, didn’t grab me as much as 1 or Infinite because it was the same setting (and the Infinite DLC had us there yet again). I would hope they would understand that with a 4th installment.

CRAIG667

BioShock is an interesting franchise from a release standpoint. The third instalment is considered to be the best, which often never happens with anything lol.

Hmm, I consider myself a.massive Bioshock fan and Infinite is my least favourite, for me it's...

Bioshock, Minerva's Den, Bioshock 2 then Infinite.

supernova8

Banned
It's just another company milking another anniversary on social media for their game and a bunch of people/companies piggy-backing off it. Nothing more nothing less. Not sure how anyone can interpret it as "teasing a new game". Must be a slow news day.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gamescom is tomorrow, right?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Animated GIF

I know Levine isn’t involved, I will preorder the biggest manbaby collectors edition of his next game as well but also this. I’m there day one for these games, I just absolutely adore them. No atmosphere like them.

Last edited:

MacReady13

For me Bioshock Infinite had a more interesting story than The Last of Us (They both released in the same year, thus I compare them)

But Infinite's story is pretty much done, excited to see what they bring to the table, its probably Bioshock 3
I thought Infinite was a brilliant game. Loved how it tied in to the 1st game. I enjoyed it far more than The Last Of Us, which I enjoyed immensely.

MagnesD3

Bioshock 1 is the only amazing one, I have no faith in there being one that comes even close to it after 2 attempts..

MagnesD3

It really was lightning in a bottle. Holds up really well too, atmosphere and world building was insane.
Yes and it's game balance design is excellent, with effort you can get all of the unlockables and achievements in one playthrough, there's just enough of what you need you just have to explore and oddly enough they managed to even pace the money distribution out correctly so the games challenge is mostly consistent where you will need to actually use the purchasing machines alot of times.

The only slight qualms I have with the game are the ammo craft system is just kinda there and the ending is weaker than the rest of the otherwise amazing game.

Last edited:
Hmm, I consider myself a.massive Bioshock fan and Infinite is my least favourite, for me it's...

Bioshock, Minerva's Den, Bioshock 2 then Infinite.
The third BioShock is considered to be the best? Since when?
There are plenty of people who prefer BioShock Infinite as their favourite, and I'm pretty sure 2 is considered the least liked. Just look at the Metacritic numbers with BioShock having a 96 and Infinite a 94 with thousands more reviews. I'm not talking out of my ass on this one:

Last edited:

CRAIG667

There are plenty of people who prefer BioShock Infinite as their favourite, and I'm pretty sure 2 is considered the least liked. Just look at the Metacritic numbers with BioShock having a 96 and Infinite a 94 with thousands more reviews. I'm not talking out of my ass on this one:

[/URL]
[/URL]
Yeh, I'd have agreed but having gone back and replayed them all Infinite feels like an amazing world they didn't quite pull off, it feels empty in places where it shouldn't have.
Rapture on the other hand feels empty in places but that fits the narrative and feels natural.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I really hope it’s not a prequel or at least has nothing to do with Rapture. It does nothing for me as a fan of Infinite and they’ve portrayed it enough.
Bioshock: remaster of a Remaster ocean edition

Bioshock 1 & 2 = City in the Sea & Objectivism
Bioshock Infinite = City in the Sky & Nationalism
New Bioshock = City Underground & Communism?

The first time I played Bioshock 1 was on Christmas Break from college back in '07. It was after a family party, and I'd just gotten a second-hand computer monitor and an AV cable to hook my XBOX 360 up for cheap HD (as a college kid, I couldn't afford an actual HDTV).

I planned on putting Bioshock on for a few minutes to make sure the AV hookup worked. Popped it on around 8PM and didn't stop until I'd taken down Fontaine as the sun was about to come up. I played the whole thing without breaks, both me and the 10-inch computer monitor sitting on the floor--literally right under my parents' new 36-inch Samsung HDTV. I didn't want to stop to switch over to the actual TV. I was too immersed in Rapture.

One of my favorite games and gaming experiences of all time.

Apocryphon

Where do they take the series now? I know it's the obvious route but I'm really kinda hoping it isn't space..

I can see it being a moon base though, or maybe some Hollow Earth daftness. If they do space it should just be some giant starliner and not a space station.

Where do they take the series now? I know it's the obvious route but I'm really kinda hoping it isn't space..

I can see it being a moon base though, or maybe some Hollow Earth daftness. If they do space it should just be some giant starliner and not a space station.
It is set in a fictional Antarctic city in the 1960s.

Top Bottom