• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Halo Wars 2 Beta starting January 20th. PC and Xbox One

Akai__

Source 1:

Halo Wars 2 beta starts next week! Jump in on January 20!!! #HaloWars2

Source 2:

Play #HaloWars2's [T] new Blitz mode for free. Join the Multiplayer Beta January 20-30: http://xbx.lv/2jErrlc #XboxOne #Windows10

Source 3:

Halo Wars 2 MP beta showcasing new card-based game mode, Blitz, will be available on Win 10 & Xbox One on 20 Jan http://mjr.mn/2j7opVr

Blog Post:

The Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta will officially begin on Friday, Jan. 20 and is slated to run through Jan. 30, 2017. The Blitz Beta will take place on the map ”Proving Grounds," and will offer 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 gameplay via matchmaking on both Windows 10 PC and Xbox One. One thing we're particularly excited about is the fact that all of the Faction Leaders and Blitz cards that will be available in the full game at launch on Feb. 21 will be included and available to play and experiment with during the beta, offering wide breadth of strategic and gameplay options. You'll also find a series of daily and weekly challenges to participate in as we work to stress test those systems.

blamite

My vague understanding of Blitz mode is that it's basically Halo Clash Royale, so I'm really looking forward to this!

The Flash

Banned
Hope they dont cancel the Beta.

image.php

Gestault

This will be a cool chance at getting a feel for how they bridge the controls between PC and XB1. I was "in" the original XB1 beta, but waited until the last minute and missed out on playtime.

As a long-time single-player focused console RTS plebeian, I may end up playing on controller for both.

Werd

One gametype, one map is a little disappointing, it would be nice if PC players got a chance to try the normal RTS mode.... worried about what kind of player population it will have stuck on the W10 store. And even the beta on XB1 was quite a while ago. But at least this one is open and on PC, really hope the performance is good.

Blitz does look fun enough though, and seems like a good way for people to get to see the variety of units/powers and such without investing much time into the beta + tempt some people who wouldn't try a full RTS.

singhr1

One gametype, one map is a little disappointing, it would be nice if PC players got a chance to try the normal RTS mode.... worried about what kind of player population it will have stuck on the W10 store. And even the beta on XB1 was quite a while ago. But at least this one is open and on PC, really hope the performance is good.

Blitz does look fun enough though, and seems like a good way for people to get to see the variety of units/powers and such without investing much time into the beta.

They may add a new map/mode as the week progresses. IIRC 343 did with the first beta (and with the Halo 5 beta)

Missed the first one, so I'm looking forward to this.

I felt the same way until I played the first beta. I was confused as someone who never played a real RTS before (my understanding was that Halo Wars was supposed to be a good RTS-light), and felt like the game type worked poorly with a controller.

To be honest, RTS games are probably the best real use for smart glass. Could definitely see using my phone screen as a makeshift track pad for this type of game.

Wedzi

Banned
Ill be there. First beta felt rough to me. Wasn't really digging it but I'm down to try out blitz mode.

One thing we’re particularly excited about is the fact that all of the Faction Leaders and Blitz cards that will be available in the full game at launch on Feb. 21 will be included and available to play and experiment with during the beta, offering wide breadth of strategic and gameplay options.
So the cards won't be microtransactions?

If not then that's quite the spin.

bbd23

wait, so the actual RTS mode people most likely buying the game for isn't part of this beta? the hell...

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The first beta after E3 was a mess in the sense that it was very laggy and bugs all over the place, which is expected for an early beta.

As the release gets closer I'm starting to anticipate HW2 more. Haven't played a great RTS game in forever so can't wait to try out the beta.

Dabanton

I actually had the first beta but didn't have the time to actually sit down and play it properly.

So will give this a shot.

JaggedSac

One gametype, one map is a little disappointing, it would be nice if PC players got a chance to try the normal RTS mode.... worried about what kind of player population it will have stuck on the W10 store.

It will be somewhere between 0 and 10.

Will try the beta, not a big fan of rts multiplayer though.

BigPapi

What's blitz mode if anyone can clarify isn't this game like starcraft in regards of make bases, workers, army and kill opponent?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I don't like this game mode.Is for rush players who like to engage in fast combats and avoid the strategy of building your base etc.Not for me because in the rts genre i'm a turtle.

Rodelero

It's more than a little alarming that they're following up a catastrophically bad beta focused on their core RTS modes with one that focuses on... what, their Clash Royale Warzone mixup?

I wanted a second beta to be convinced of this games quality as a true RTS. Not really sure how I can justify buying the game without seeing massive improvements to the main modes.

R aka Bon

It's more than a little alarming that they're following up a catastrophically bad beta focused on their core RTS modes with one that focuses on... what, their Clash Royale Warzone mixup?

I wanted a second beta to be convinced of this games quality as a true RTS. Not really sure how I can justify buying the game without seeing massive improvements to the main modes.

You can wait for reviews and impressions when the game releases? That beta we played last year was a test for a game that was in development afterall.

Lucifon

Last year's beta was a real beta, not a marketing demo with disclaimer to cover potential bugs that most betas are these days. Game still had a long time left in development.

Majine

Banned
I tend to forget this game is out next month.

I could go for an RTS right about now. Is the PC version optimised for KB+M or is it very much a console-first kind of thing?

Rodelero

You can wait for reviews and impressions when the game releases? That beta we played last year was a test for a game that was in development afterall.

Last year's beta was a real beta, not a marketing demo with disclaimer to cover potential bugs that most betas are these days. Game still had a long time left in development.

In general this would be a fair enough counter-argument, but it significantly understates the issues that were present in the beta. First, even though it was a relatively early beta, it isn't especially early in an industry which regularly puts out games that are years away from release. Even for something that was half a year away from launch, this thing felt unusually broken. Regardless of that, what was damning about Halo Wars 2's beta wasn't the lack of polish, the endless bugs, or the clunkiness apparent in every area of the game, but the total lack of innovation in its design. The similarities in the structure of the RTS are so many that it almost feels more like a mod or expansion, than an actual sequel.

It seemed quite odd to me, until they announced Blitz:

Halo Wars 2 isn't a true sequel to Halo Wars.

Halo Wars 2 is a risk-averse approach to make a ton of money off the hardcore fans of the original, with a money making Warzone/Clash Royale machine bolted onto the side. Blitz is Halo Wars 2's innovation.

R aka Bon

In general this would be a fair enough counter-argument, but it significantly understates the issues that were present in the beta. First, even though it was a relatively early beta, it isn't especially early in an industry which regularly puts out games that are years away from release. Even for something that was half a year away from launch, this thing felt unusually broken. Regardless of that, what was damning about Halo Wars 2's beta wasn't the lack of polish, the endless bugs, or the clunkiness apparent in every area of the game, but the total lack of innovation in its design. The similarities in the structure of the RTS are so many that it almost feels more like a mod or expansion, than an actual sequel.

It seemed quite odd to me, until they announced Blitz:

Halo Wars 2 isn't a true sequel to Halo Wars.

Halo Wars 2 is a risk-averse approach to make a ton of money off the hardcore fans of the original, with a money making Warzone/Clash Royale machine bolted onto the side. Blitz is Halo Wars 2's innovation.

I didn't play the first one so can't comment on that, but surely every buisness wants to do money.

As i said i think it's better to wait and see how the game turns out before jumping to conclusions.

m23

Do we have any details on the physical Xbox one ultimate edition? I have the digital version pre ordered but thinking of getting the physical version. Any pics?

Top Bottom