• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago today, Super Mario Bros. was released in Japan

Celine

Ōkami;178571549 said:
Fun Fact.

The original SMB is the all time best selling console game in Japan with 6.8m units (that is not included handhelds) and it was the all time best selling game in Japan until 1998, when Pokémon Red/Geen/Blue surpassed it.

Right now it sits as the third all time best selling game in the region, after the afromentioned Pokémon games and their immediate successors, Gold/Silver.
Gold/Silver sold less than SMB (also less than NSMB) in Japan.

Kouriozan

One of my first video games I played thanks to my parents and now I'm almost 30 years old too.
Wow, time sure flies fast.

Happy birthday Super Mario, one day you'll get your cake.

So many great memories playing this game, when my father got us our first Nintendo with all those accessories. I fondly remember how popular it all was back in school and a couple of us "artists" would get on to draw all the characters, and how fascinated I was by that game world. So glad I got to live through that era to enjoy the novelty.

Not my first video game but the first one making me realize that so much could be done with video games and electronics. Certainly the game I played the most in my life with Super Mario 64.

The Nes controller !!! Tight controls, endless fun.

Happy birthday Super Mario Bros. and thank you Miyamoto for keeping the same spirit through the years in all your games.

StayDead

Still one of the best platformers ever. The physics, the level design and the music are just timeless and there's very few games that have surpassed it.

Happy Birthday Mario Bros, may you continue to bring joy to the people who play your levels for many years to come!

LeBart

I was also born 30 years ago today. Pretty cool to share a birthday with one of the most important games in history.

Fun fact: if you're playing on a Famicom or top-loading NES, you can randomly generate levels in Super Mario Bros. by taking out the cartridge while the console is on, inserting Tennis, playing a few volleys, and reinserting Super Mario Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEnEoKSgQs
Wow. Really amazing and shows the flexibility of the engine. I just wonder how the heck did people ever came up with this idea in the first place...

Colombo

It's the game that started it all for me. While it took a few months after getting my NES to finally own it (I had the misfortune of buying just as the pack in game changed from SMB to Urban Chamion), it was the game that first got me interested in video games! The mushroom power up, the hidden extra lives, the music that was so inviting yet could change tempo and stimulate tension! I'm so glad the franchise became so successful And like Mario, I'm still playing video games.

I also can't not mention how Creating my own Mario levels in Super Mario Maker is a dream come true, and is fitting 30 years on since Shigetu Miyamoto first created the first Super Mario Bros!

Tizoc

When a time comes where we send another craft into outer space, so that extra terrestrial life would learn about Earth and of our civilization, let this game, if only one game was to be chosen, to be put into that craft.
That's how friggin' good it is.

I ought to go back and beat it warpless (too badass to use the continue trick, though). Great game. Miyamoto and Tezuka struck gold with this one, and it certainly must have put Pac-Land to shame upon release.

Kinda crazy to think Nntendo has been milking it for 30 years. I guess Mario is a legit pop culture icon like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Did you know the Super Mario series has sold over 300 million units worldwide.

Btw, ya'll probably won't believe me but Super Mario 3D World for Wii U was the first Mario game I ever played!

Penguin

Did you know the Super Mario series has sold over 300 million units worldwide.

Btw, ya'll probably won't believe me but Super Mario 3D World for Wii U was the first Mario game I ever played!

It's a good one to start with, but also means you have a world to explore.

And seems like old rivalries are put to rest. Still so strange to see this

COzGYM_UEAAMkjd.png

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/643106967439839232

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's a good one to start with, but also means you have a world to explore.

So i've been told. I've played New Super Mario Bro's U and Super Luigi U as well. Haven't got Mario Maker yet but should get it before the end of the year same with the Galaxy games.

Peltz

This was absolutely the game that impacted me more than any other. It was my first video game and the opening up of a rabbit home from which I've never emerged.

Eila

Miyamoto wanted to be a mangaka. Funny how he has always prioritized gameplay over story in his games, so I wonder how his mangaka career would have turned out.

chrislowe

just been playing Super Mario Bros on my NES for this 30 years...

Its pretty awesome my NES from the time still works without a hitch aswell :)

tbd

The best and most pleasant thing about this day and whole thing is that the guy who made it is still working on the series today.

Having skipped 3D World (not a fan of the semi-fixed camera and completely linear design), I'm so much looking forward to the next 3D Mario.

NYR94

I don't think I would be a gamer today if it weren't for this game. I had an Atari before NES but don't remember having as much fun playing an Atari game as I did SMB. So easy to get into and control.

And it's still fun today!

Fun fact: if you're playing on a Famicom or top-loading NES, you can randomly generate levels in Super Mario Bros. by taking out the cartridge while the console is on, inserting Tennis, playing a few volleys, and reinserting Super Mario Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEnEoKSgQs

Wow!

It's the game that started it all for me. While it took a few months after getting my NES to finally own it (I had the misfortune of buying just as the pack in game changed from SMB to Urban Chamion), it was the game that first got me interested in video games! The mushroom power up, the hidden extra lives, the music that was so inviting yet could change tempo and stimulate tension! I'm so glad the franchise became so successful And like Mario, I'm still playing video games.

I also can't not mention how Creating my own Mario levels in Super Mario Maker is a dream come true, and is fitting 30 years on since Shigetu Miyamoto first created the first Super Mario Bros!

Holy shit

I'm so sorry

Top Bottom