• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30c3: Console Hacking 2013 Wii U

Just watched it; extremely interesting presentation. Hope they get some more interest after the Wii U got a few more sales over the holidays.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The moral of the story, for me, is that nintendo could really 'open up' the system for HB as their hw sandbox is robust enough (in contrast to OtherOS hypervisor) to allow for proper isolation, but of course that will never happen for apparent reasons (nintendo having zero interest in such a move).

Crazy IMHO, because an App Store model could work wonders for them...

-MB-

All I want is a moddable Smash Bros. That gave Brawl soooo much life it was crazy.

Only reason for that was that its online sucked. If the Wiiu SMash ends up with awesome online, then it being hacked will only ruin that with cheating.

Not even homebrew would allow one to play GC discs on the Wii U, correct? Since it lacks the fancy mini-disc loader?

Gamepad/off-TV play for Wii mode would still be cool though :/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tell me about it. I've been waiting for the first console manufacturer to realize that the original PC model where you had a 'dedicated' machine (early PCs were pretty much lotus123 and WordStar (subsequently WordPerfect) boxes) with open development environment could be really something. Technology was a problem before - older consoles did not have the hw and sw infrastructure for a robust isolation. Now it seems we've reached the point where this is not (much of) an issue, yet no dice. Instead, nintendo would rather endure sw droughts..

nikatapi

Yeah, i can only imagine the possibilities for apps using both the gamepad and tv. I'm sure developers would release great stuff on the console, but at least Nintendo is open to indies and has improved a lot on that area.

Hesemonni

Banned
Watching the speech right now. I'm amazed how clever these guys are and hopefully something comes out of Wii U hacking scene. I'm not holding my breath though :/

c0de

Wow, this was kind of unexpected as marcan said a while ago on the failoverflow-page that there is close to interest from him to enable homebrew on WiiU because
- it will be used for piracy
- consoles getting closer to pc's.

Still interesting and more detailed than the page and his tweets, I think.

jcm

Console makers are in the business of selling $60 games. Why would they want to enable an app-store style race to the bottom for software prices? They're better off keeping a tight rein on control of the platform, at least while they can. Apple makes their money selling hardware. It's an entirely different business plan.

I think OtherOS is the last we'll see of officially sanctioned homebrew for a while, particularly since the main use of it was as a platform to attack the hypervisor.

Phamit

Until your pc can play xbox 360 games while still doing pc things, no one is going to be truly happy. Majority of people get consoles for 1. exclusives 2. and "i want to game but it costs $2000 for a gaming computer and this thing plays games for $400, what a deal"

I'm not even kidding about the second part. Work in retail, you'll see it. (when you explain to them how easy and cheap building a computer is, they just look at you funny and go "oh no that's too hard for me")

Hm i would think homebrewer are pc guys anyway and have a lot of knoweledge about Pcs and that pc games are cheaper.

But i think they also like to tinker or so

That homebrew version of Quake that used the Wiimote to aim wasn't on the PC. I liked it.

Ok thats sounds pretty cool

Watching the speech right now. I'm amazed how clever these guys are and hopefully something comes out of Wii U hacking scene. I'm not holding my breath though :/

Not joking you i work in a school with kids that have autisum, one of the kids there is like this guy, just knows the insides and outs of CPU hacking and tweaking etc

He just sits there C++ writing and writing bat files etc and like how the hell do you learn that!!!

Not joking you i work in a school with kids that have autisum, one of the kids there is like this guy, just knows the insides and outs of CPU hacking and tweaking etc

He just sits there C++ writing and writing bat files etc and like how the hell do you learn that!!!

Yeah, I don't think you LEARN Autism.

Not even homebrew would allow one to play GC discs on the Wii U, correct? Since it lacks the fancy mini-disc loader?

Gamepad/off-TV play for Wii mode would still be cool though :/

Actually, you can play GC games on the Wii U right now, by using a homebrew application called Devolution that runs in Wii mode. It reads iso's off the SD card rather than using the actual discs themselves, but hey, it works. It can force 480p too.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jcm said:
Apple makes their money selling hardware.
Actually nowadays they make a lot off microtransactions. But then so will MS and Sony as they both adopted aggressive F2P strategy without flooding the market iTunes style.

wsippel

Banned
It's apparently so piss easy to get a Wii U or 3DS developer license and the terms aren't much different from Apple's that I'd say it's fair to say that Nintendo actually is embracing the App Store model already, and has been for quite some time. And while the barrier of entry is a bit higher, it's not like $2000 should be a big deal to anybody even remotely serious about developing and selling games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's apparently so piss easy to get a Wii U or 3DS developer license and the terms aren't much different from Apple's that I'd say it's fair to say that Nintendo actually is embracing the App Store model already, and has been for quite some time. And while the barrier of entry is a bit higher, it's not like $2000 should be a big deal to anybody even remotely serious about developing and selling games.
That's the thing, though - you have to let developers experiment freely on your platform. If something comes out of that then let them on the eShop, filter them out, heck even make them suffer a lot check. $2000 for me just to tinker with an idea of mine is rather barring, though (and I've spent a small fortune on all kinds of tinker boxes). That $250 unit I've already bought for family entertainment purposes could serve me just as well, if only nintnedo was willing..

jcm

Actually nowadays they make a lot off microtransactions. But then so will MS and Sony as they both adopted aggressive F2P strategy without flooding the market iTunes style.

I guess that depends on your definition of a lot? The vast majority of their profits come from hardware. iTunes is said to be slightly better than break even. I don't believe apple makes much from micro transactions, though obviously there are some app developers who do.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jcm said:
I don't believe apple makes much from micro transactions, though obviously there are some app developers who do.
Afaik their take is 30% on iaps. If all the stories of F2P hits grossing 10s of millions per day/week are true, apples revenue from it should be significant.

Hesemonni

Banned
Can't start a new thread and because Fail0verflow already did it so I guess it's kinda relevant to post here: Wii U bootrom has been dumped. It's basically one of the big obstacles to achieve a full hack. It's also something Nintendo can't patch via firmware updates. They can change the bootrom in coming revisions, but Wii U's until the change are unpatchable. Then again seeing what happened with PS3 and having keys and everything meaning jack shit I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

Anyway, "scene" too a big step forward.

Source: Wiiuhax

foto_no_exif1-300x208.jpg

EDIT: A thread for aforementioned thing.

Top Bottom