• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30c3: Console Hacking 2013 Wii U

Gvaz

Banned
After all someone may at some point and time pirate their game.

Or maybe people pirated a game because the developers were too lazy to release a demo, realized they liked the game, and bought it. A wrong doesn't make a right but a sale is a sale when there might have been no sale.

Or maybe people pirated a game because the developers were too lazy to release a demo, realized they liked the game, and bought it. A wrong doesn't make a right but a sale is a sale when there might have been no sale.

Funny you mention demos, since statistics show people are LESS inclined to buy games when there's a demo available. But that might just be recent AAA titles sucking ass.

Gvaz

Banned
Funny you mention demos, since statistics show people are LESS inclined to buy games when there's a demo available. But that might just be recent AAA titles sucking ass.

Yeah demos for aaa titles i've tried have just been awful. Mostly it's because they pick such awful parts of the game instead of like "look at this cool thing!"
or they'll be super lazy and just take out a level wholesale.

Best demos are once that have like, an hour timelimit on them.

pukko

Neo Member
Has there really been any usable homebrew SDKs for recent consoles except the Wii? I haven't really followed the scene. XBMC on the orig Xbox was the best piece of homebrew I've tried, but it used the pirated SDK. Ps2 homebrew was pretty capable due to gfx hw manuals being released by Sony in the Linux kit. PSP was also quite good.

But with the 360 and the ps3, i have the feeling that the systems got a bit too big to handle and that made them uninteresting.

Ps4 and xbone are just PC's, I don't see any reason to hack them except for piracy.

FyreWulff

I'm talking about myself though, as an indie wii u dev, who is about to release a game in a month or 2 for Wii U.

As a developer myself, I agree with your general outlook. Some people would like to pretend piracy has no effect on the industry, and you'll never convince them otherwise because it's the only thing that helps them justify stealing games to themselves.

Phamit

Why you need hombrew on consoles anyway? Dont really understand it. Why doing so much work, when you can just use a pc ?

Gvaz

Banned
Why you need hombrew on consoles anyway? Dont really understand it. Why doing so much work, when you can just use a pc ?

Until your pc can play xbox 360 games while still doing pc things, no one is going to be truly happy. Majority of people get consoles for 1. exclusives 2. and "i want to game but it costs $2000 for a gaming computer and this thing plays games for $400, what a deal"

I'm not even kidding about the second part. Work in retail, you'll see it. (when you explain to them how easy and cheap building a computer is, they just look at you funny and go "oh no that's too hard for me")

wsippel

Banned
What about the 74xx? Idk much about the 750's or newer chips to be honest.
Yes, 74xx cores use the same protocol (some of them, at least), as do all 970s. It's a more modern protocol designed with SMP in mind, whereas MEI was strictly for single core systems.

isual

It's about as powerful as the 360 was overall, which is incredibly disappointing for a 2012 system. Smaller though.

And reading through the article fail wrote on the subject of hacking the wiiu, yeah I can see why they wouldn't bother.
1. hardly anyone has a wiiu for various reasons
2. majority of the time homebrew is interesting, like a small child making a sandcastle is interesting but ultimately the sandcastle is garbage and you just smile politely and lie to the kid. Who actually wants homebrew? like seriously what has homebrew done that allows me anything special with my console? No i don't want to play your doom port or your really shitty programmer game with mspaint art because it was made by 2 guys with a budget of $0.
3. people don't care about homebrew, people care about increasing usability for their console.

For example: with the ps2 and a modded memory card, i can now backup my saves to my computer to PCSX2 and back. I can use it to regionfree my games. I can use it to back up my games (fair use) and stream them over the network, saving my drive.

With the DS, I could use them to backup my games/saves, watch some basic videos, use it as an mp3 player, etc.

The point here is:
If the devices had this functionality in the first place, less people would care or want to hack them (which is basically what the article says anyways).

Part of the issue is that it seems hw developers aren't keeping up with what people want to do with their devices or think it's better to lock them down and disallow anything except what they want you to do.

If I have a thing I'm playing a game on, i want to take screenshots. Like, as a png or a not really compressed jpg. Maybe I want to record some video instead of using my smartphone. Maybe this thing can play videos via netflix? Well while we're at it, let me stream video over my network from my computer to the tv in the living room. Maybe I don't want to keep swapping out disks and I don't really give a shit about trading them back after i powergame them on a weekend when I'm probably going to work 12 hours anyways, so instead i just want to download them to a harddrive. Maybe I want to backup my saves for security, and hell maybe I'm sick and tired of failing on the second boss and I just want to give myself 999999 gold and xp so i can just plow through it and experience the story which is more important to me than breaking the game or playing it "right".

Most of those issues have been fixed with the xbone/ps4/vita/3ds though they are still not quite right yet. It makes sense then that unless it's piracy, what does homebrew actually bring to the table?

People are going to do whatever the fuck they want and in their mind nothing you did mattered except what they got by pirating. It's a kick in the balls but it feels better when you literally spend no thoughts on them because they do not matter.

is that confirmed? just bought one recently

JordanN

Banned
is that confirmed? just bought one recently
The Wii was an overclocked Gamecube even though specs never came out. Wii U is the same thing in that it's meant to be slightly better than last gen, powerwise.

So it's not on par but don't be surprised when 90% of the games don't look much different and right now, that seems to be the case.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yes, 74xx cores use the same protocol (some of them, at least), as do all 970s. It's a more modern protocol designed with SMP in mind, whereas MEI was strictly for single core systems.
All 74xx's I know use MESI. Dunno about the 970.

Also, I was not so sure about the 750's, but I double-checked and you're right - the entire 750 family is MEI. Espresso is absolutely unique in this regard.

blu

Looking back as far as i can, 74xx supports MERSI.

Here is a post from 02 on a forum talking about it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/2114/multiprocessors
Well, I'm only familiar with Moto's variants (7450 series).

That said, apparently the R state in MERSI could be 'transparent' to the cache logic on a core (according to the leaked Espresso manual page), so I may have encountered a MERSI G4 I may not have been aware of (unlikely, since Moto normally have excellent documentation, but I still acknowledge the possibility).

Bollocks

Wait, before the talk we were already on page 5 and now we're still on page 5?
Do we really don't care about the WiiU anymore?

plufim

So we're at the usual tired arguments of pirates just want a demo / every single pirate would give up gaming entirely if they had to pay, huh?

Oh goodie.

blu

Wait, before the talk we were already on page 5 and now we're still on page 5?
Do we really don't care about the WiiU anymore?
The talk, while highly interesting to a very narrow audience, presented no new information about the hw to the world. Marcan thinks the wii sandboxing is so robust as to allow nintendo to officially open up the platform for homebrew while keeping their DRM. Realistically, that ain't happening. EOS

pulsemyne

Woah, hold on a sec, I missed that part of the presentation. The AMD gfx chipset is a confirmed RV 770 unit?

Wouldn't that mean 800 shader units instead of the bandied around 160 shader units as bgassassin said the other day? Does that mean the WiiU is much more powerful graphically speaking?

For reference, the RV770 = 4870/4850 (800 shaders) , RV730 = 4670 (320 shaders)
That was the real interesting part for me. If it reads as an RV770 then the WiiU could be more capable than many people think. On the other hand it could be a butchered 770CE which had a touch over 600 shaders. Also bear in mind that the clock speed for the WiiU chip is far lower than 4850/4870 etc.

NeOak

That was the real interesting part for me. If it reads as an RV770 then the WiiU could be more capable than many people think. On the other hand it could be a butchered 770CE which had a touch over 600 shaders. Also bear in mind that the clock speed for the WiiU chip is far lower than 4850/4870 etc.

No. The die pic was taken a long time ago. ~160.

pulsemyne

No. The die pic was taken a long time ago. ~160.

If you followed the die pic thread then you would know that no one really had a firm take on whether the chip was 160, 192 or 320 SPU's. If the hackers have access to WiiU documentation or have the ability to read the chip itself and see it identified as a RV770 part then I bet on it being a chopped up RV770CE. Likely cut down to 320 SPU's, put on a 40nm fab and given a core clock drop to keep the system cool.

test_account

XP-39C²
If I remember correctly, fail0verflow released only the tools to get the keys.

I don't expect anything like that for the wiiu.
I see. I probably remember wrong then. I thought maybe that they didnt release anything before what Geohot did.

Here's a recording of the stream. Talk starts at 3:20. Might want to right-click and save-as. It's ~220MB.
Does this work for anyone else? For me, it just stops at ~2 minutes in.

M3d10n

Interesting that Nintendo simply put the whole Wii GPU in there (GX). I wonder if it's usable in Wii U mode?

Not really giving up. More like they can't be arsed. They aren't interested in piracy. They've broken most of the security, but the work to building a proper SDK that home-brew devs can use would go to waste since there is clearly no real interest.

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

A proper homebrew framework would probably require writing drivers for the GPU, which would be a gigantic pain the the ass since we're talking about DirectX 10.1 generation hardware.

Just look at how much pain goes into developing proper open source GPU drivers for Linux, and they have far more people working on that.

The Wii and GC GPU was easy to write a SDK for because it didn't actually need a complex driver and the API was basically a bunch of memory addresses you wrote to. I doubt they used the same approach for the Wii U GPU, which requires quite a bit more software to steer the thing around.

Does this work for anyone else? For me, it just stops at ~2 minutes in.

I had to run it through ffmpeg first. Ffmpeg noticed some errors in the video stream, but was able to successfully copy the video and audio into a new container which played fine, albeit with the audio and video not completely in sync (which doesn't matter much because it's a slide show).

test_account

XP-39C²
I had to run it through ffmpeg first. Ffmpeg noticed some errors in the video stream, but was able to successfully copy the video and audio into a new container which played fine, albeit with the audio and video not completely in sync (which doesn't matter much because it's a slide show).
Thanks for the info. I might try FFmpeg if someone doesnt Youtube it.

Worked for me using VLC
I tried VLC too, just downloaded the latest version, but the video wont play properly here :\ I get some stuttering in the audio, and the video (and audio) just stops after ~2 minutes.

Since people are having issues, here is the video I got after running the recording through ffmpeg. Played fine for me on Quicktime X on my Mac. As I said earlier, the audio and video aren't fully in sync, but it's never an issue.

(ffmpeg is an awesome program btw. Took a bit of time to learn but I almost never have trouble getting videos to play anymore.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Since people are having issues, here is the video I got after running the recording through ffmpeg. Played fine for me on Quicktime X on my Mac. As I said earlier, the audio and video aren't fully in sync, but it's never an issue.

(ffmpeg is an awesome program btw. Took a bit of time to learn but I almost never have trouble getting videos to play anymore.)
Great, thanks! :) The sound looks to be in sync on my PC by the way. If there is any delay, its like 0.1 second or so, hardly noticeable.

EDIT: I see there is some sync problems now, but it works fine indeed :)

Apenheul

The video was pretty much what I expected, an outline of the process by which they managed to get a certain level of control over the hardware. Unfortunately nothing beyond the May 2013 update on Marcan's blog but they have the right reasons for that.

DSix

Banned
It's a good thing devs on the PC do not share your extreme opinion, otherwise no one would ever get their games on the platform!

After all someone may at some point and time pirate their game.

Actually, I'm not that extreme, but developing on console is an extra hassle, you have to deal with lot-check, licensing, buy extra development equipment (that is more than often VERY expensive for lone indies) and optimize to fit onto a limited console hardware.

While PC has piracy, it's also much easier to get your game out there.
Why would I go through all the trouble to get my game on Wii U if the ecosystem is just the same as on PC? The promise of console release is that it offers a more controlled ecosystem that gives you all your chances to succeed and make a living. Remove that little extra and there's not much reason to bother anymore.

Most devs are used and have fully accepted the upsides and downsides of making PC games, and it's perfectly fine. But it's clearly not the same as adding piracy to the downsides of making console games.

Top Bottom