• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30c3: Console Hacking 2013 Wii U

Unless they actually release what they've found, this is nothing more than an exchange of ideas. Maybe another hacking group will gather enough information to come up with their own findings or further development, or maybe a rogue hacker may have already overcome one of the hurdles they will talk about.

Either way, there's not much for Nintendo to do, and there's not much we can really gather from this year's events.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to piracy like this sort of thing usually does.

Well the Wii U doesn't have a HD, nor does it have a USB 3.0 port nor does it read DVDs, so maybe it's inherently a hassle to pirate for anyway?

Zornica

Banned
The threat of someone being able to possibly steal my game is nerve wrecking. I'm sure this scares others. I know Jools of Renegade Kid has mentioned many many times that eventual piracy on any platform could them to stop making games for it.

To my knowledge, even with Wiibrew it was never possible to actually pirate wii shop games. You could download the files directly from nintendos servers but they were useless.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, people would release WAD dumps and all you had to do to install them was Wad Manager and you'd have the full game with online features (if they had any). People also injected ROMs into some of the Virtual Console emulators to have games like Banjo Kazooie, which was never released on the Virtual Console.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ah, with the updated time of the presentation, I'll still be in the house. Hopefully the Wii U supports their streaming method so I can watch this
and see if their words magically enable homebrew on my Wii U
WiiU browser does the h264 HLS streams just fine.

ps: HB is already on your WiiU, in the Wii sandbox ; )

Herne

Bummer.....think of all the additional revenue Nintendo could make if their games ran on PC via an official but "unsupported" emulator.

This would lose them sales on the console, which is what they want you to buy. They will never, ever condone this kind of thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Geohot did.
Yeah, i remember he released the decryption keys first. I was a bit unsure if fail0verflow released anything before this, i guess that they didnt?

This has NOTHING to do with what will be discussed in the talk here.

This belongs to the Dolphin thread
To be a bit fair, this thread is about hacking and reverse engineering, which is related to making a WiiU emulator for PC. But yeah, that will most likely take quite some time.

Well the Wii U doesn't have a HD, nor does it have a USB 3.0 port nor does it read DVDs, so maybe it's inherently a hassle to pirate for anyway?
You can connect pretty much any harddrive (at least USB 2.0 harddrives) to the WiiU and run downloaded games from the eShop on it. I guess it wont be much of a problem to just connect any USB 2.0 harddrive to the WiiU and run pirated games from it either if the system gets hacked.

Uiki

Yeah, i remember he released the decryption keys first. I was a bit unsure if fail0verflow released anything before this, i guess that they didnt?

If I remember correctly, fail0verflow released only the tools to get the keys.

I don't expect anything like that for the wiiu.

Burai

shitonmychest57
They're not bothered, the fail0verflow guys aren't even releasing code into the wild, just explaining it.

The Wii talk had me rolling. On the Gamcube, it was cracked when they found the password to the DVD drive to make it authenticate anything was "matshita dvd-rom" so what was it for Wii? Well, they changed it... To "MATSHITA DVD-ROM".

Nintendo probably left so many holes in that it would be difficult to patch in software again.

I bet the first thing they tried on Wii U was "matshita bd-rom".

Probably. Also DS games lol.

Would be great if Nintendo just done it but if they don't then maybe the Homebrew scene will. I have been playing some Wii games on the Gamepad with the Wii Mote some recently (so my wife can enjoy the TV) and while it's not a bad way to play it could be amazing if the controls worked on the Gamepad instead of requiring a second controller and relegating the GamePad to a portable TV screen.

I wonder if this could have any impact on the Gamepad with regards to using it on a PC. I want streaming of PC games to it like the Shield does. I wonder if it'd be possible to hack into the upcoming in-home streaming that Steam will be capable of and use that.

Yep, another thing that would be nice. It seems plausible to me that if the homebrew scene took a real interest in it that it could accomplish these types of things.

I really don't want it to be pirated though so would be happy if Nintendo simply mapped controls to the GamePad but I'm not sure that will happen.

Cbajd5

The stream was being a pain for me, but it started working after I opened the rtmp stream in VLC.

(The http stream I mean. No idea why it wasn't working at first, but it started to after I opened the rtmp stream in VLC. Probably unrelated.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There are MANY streams. Not one. There is stream for browsers, for tablets, for media players, etc. What device/software are you using?
And in case somebody missed it: h264 HLS streams work fine in the WiiU browser.

Cbajd5

i dont think they're talking about wiiu specifically right now?

They're going over what they did with the Wii, I think. A quick summary.

Wait, was the Homebrew Channel ever officially updated so it didn't switch to 4:3 when run on vWii after the latest major update?

Top Bottom