• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Peter Jackson's Nightmare on Elm Street could have been interesting.

The Dream Lover script sounded amazing. An old and decrepit Freddy who is now considered a punchline to the children of Springwood. So much so that teens stage parties where they take Sleep medication so they can go into the Dream world and beat Freddy up.

Alright, my list of first watches is as follows:

1. Amer
2. Colin
3. Don't Torture a Duckling
4. The Eye
5. Gingerdead Man 2: Passion of the Crust
6. Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver
7. Hansel & Gretal
8. Phenomena
9. Teeth
10. The Witch

I'm not going to add any more I don't think. For the past 2 years I tried to do 31 of them but I just can't, so this is a doable number for me.

MattyH

so last night i revisited a film from my childhood Rhold Dahl The Witches which isn't strictly horror but at its core once you strip it down its downright sinister it pulls you in with Jim Henson but its actually terrifying

2. Incarnate (2016)

File under so bad it's hilarious. Terrible dialogue, horrible possession SFX, an unwillingness to stick to an interesting concept of non denominational possessions, the worst demon voice ever, a cliche ending that just slaps everything that came before it in the face mar what could have been a decent movie. It was great seeing a protgonist in a wheelchair and it was great seeing a protag in a wheelchair be a total badass (
Though him being able to walk in the dream demon realm where he does his most heroic work is kinda lame,
understandable but lame
). Aaron Eckhart treated the role with seriousness which allows his talent to elevate poor scripting. If you like your demons silly, if you like it when Demons say Let the Games begin with total seriousness, if you like touches of high end violence, if you love laughing at bad stuff this is the movie for you. If you are interested in a movie that tries to take exorcism away from the Catholicism and bring it into secularism but don't mind that it eventually for no real reason just says fuck it and drops it all, definitely watch this movie.

It sucks

Cptkrush

What's up with The Thing (2011)? My gf and I watched the Carpenter Thing last night - her first time, and she asked of all the classic horror movies that got remade why they hadn't remade it, then I remembered they made that prequel. How is it?

lordxar

What's up with The Thing (2011)? My gf and I watched the Carpenter Thing last night - her first time, and she asked of all the classic horror movies that got remade why they hadn't remade it, then I remembered they made that prequel. How is it?

It's not that good. I've only watched it once and would like to revisit it but I've heard the cgi aged very badly.

OP.

It's time! :')

Started off with these 2 films. My updates might be coming a bit slow for a bit as I've been a bit busy but do know that if I have down time I'm either watching horror films, playing horror games, or reading horror books.

---

9dhgZbN.png

I watched Night of the Living Dead (both the original and remake) and the original Dawn of the Dead earlier this year so this was just a natural extension of that. To be completely honest, I didn't find myself very enthused with this one but I understand that the production period was really troubled among other things.

I'd like to give this a go when the previous films are a bit less fresh as I can see it growing on me.

6j6IXYS.png

I was going to cut myself off at Day of the Dead as I've previously watched Lawn of the Dead and hated it but Netflix DVDs sent me this and I have no self control. Might as well get to Survival too because why not... :(

I just was not a fan of this one at all. I wasn't fully engaged for the full duration (I did finish it still) but it felt like the whole
"THIS NEEDS TO BE FILMED" as someone on camera or nearby was getting absolutely wrecked or something similar
was used really repetitively and it got old.

Mediocre and soulless. The only decent parts are when it reminds you of moments from Carpenter's version.

Pachimari

Are these considered horror films?

Friend Request, The Wave, Flatliners (1990), A Cure for Wellness, Black Butterfly, Clinical, Ratter and Aliens?

I think I have a hard time identifying horror movies from thrillers and psychological thrillers and such.

Don't know if I'll get 31 in but I'll try and follow along with the thread. Watched Society for the first time in the wee hours of the morning to kick off October. The first hour is campy bad/good movie enjoyable and then it starts to feel like it's going to get and old and the movie will peter out but then the last half hour kicks in.....AND IT'S ONE OF THE MOST BAT SHIT DIRECTIONS I'VE EVEN SEEN. Not sure how I got this far in my life without experiencing Society, it's a damn good watch. Available now on Amazon Prime (ignore the horrendous cover art) it might be a good pick me up in the middle of your October journey.

1. Society

https://letterboxd.com/tculturevulture/film/society/

Here we go, baby!
Everything I mark with (NEW) is a movie I haven't watched before.

1. (NEW) Leatherface - it definitely doesn't capture the elements that make the original TCM so great. I always find it dull when a studio decides to expose the roots behind a killer's motives. It takes away most of the horror elements in a movie and you're left with just blood, gore, and a predictable outcome.

Fury451

Banned
Are these considered horror films?

Friend Request, The Wave, Flatliners (1990), A Cure for Wellness, Black Butterfly, Clinical, Ratter and Aliens?

I think I have a hard time identifying horror movies from thrillers and psychological thrillers and such.

Eh, I would say most of those are more psychological thrillers with horror elements (though there's 2 I haven't seen), and Aliens is more action horror.

It really all depends on your own definitions on what horror is. It's a personal thing, really.

Isn't Rosemary's Baby part of some kind of trilogy? I wouldn't like to watch it and then skip out on the other two.

No. There's a shitty tv-movie sequel that isn't worth anything.

It is part of the unofficial "Apartment Trilogy" including Repulsion and The Tenant, but they're completely unrelated in plot.

Ridley327

Isn't Rosemary's Baby part of some kind of trilogy? I wouldn't like to watch it and then skip out on the other two.

Polanski's Apartment Trilogy is entirely thematic. There's nothing that Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant share beyond a vague premise of someone going progressively mad in an apartment.

Was he just born today? Congratulations!

Congratulations! And double congratulations for having more movies now, haha!

He was born Monday evening. Thank you! He's already watched his first two horror films with his daddy.

1. Saw 6
2. Saw 7
3. Hellraiser: Bloodlines

I really dislike the Saw series after part 3. These were just the only things on at the time. And it's a shame what happened to the Hellraiser series after Bloodlines. I know that people mostly hate the film, but I thought it was the last decent entry in the series. Too bad the studio interference turned it into a shitshow to the point that the director went Alan Smithee on the film.

Ridley327

October 1, film 1

(spoiler alert: they didn't)

Despite being the last of the big icons to be introduced into the slasher lexicon, I've always felt that Freddy had a shorter expiration date than the rest of them. Sure, the quality of the films tended to be somewhat better and more creative than those of Jason, Michael and certainly Leatherface, but with the complex set piece design of the kills, along with the more elaborate make-up effects that Freddy by nature required, it wasn't going to be long before the reality of budgets weighed up against the potential ROI would soon become a losing game. Sure, they tried everything to make them more accessible to the mainstream, with less direct violence being further watered down with straight-up zany concepts that were becoming more and more unlikely to disturb, along with Freddy himself going from the pure malevolence that Wes Craven conceived for him to being the horror movie equivalent of Arnold Schwarzenegger, but time was not on the franchise's side. Only seven years removed from the 1984 original, the conclusion was brought forth in the sixth and then-final installment of the series, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

As expected, the film itself goes big on pretty much everything. The effects are more elaborate, the mythology of Freddy is blown wide open, and they even managed to rope in a few cameos from big actors at the time, including an uncredited one from Johnny Depp, returning the favor for the series that turned him into a star. It even ends with an extended 3D finale that pulls us right into the mind of Freddy himself, and admittedly, the effects there are pretty decent. Even the setup of the story, set 10 years into the future, boasts a lot of ambition, imagining a Springwood where Freddy "won" and has driven the whole town insane with grief for a kind of post-apocalyptic take on suburban America, and children's shelters in a nearby town resemble enormous police stations.

...aaaaaand that's where a lot of the problems begin. While one can't fault director/co-writer Rachel Talalay for wanting to give audiences what they want and even more, and compared to most other mainstream horror films at the time, involving someone who had been with the series since the beginning is a good idea in theory, the scope that she's going for here is simply too much for the parameters of the series itself and I daresay beyond her capabilities as either writer or director for a debut film. It's a film big on ideas and short, very short, on proper followups, leading to a lot of gaps in logic as the film skips over a lot of the connective tissue to make the characters arrive at their conclusions and decides to run with them anyway. Characters know all about Freddy's exploits without any reason why they should, manipulating the dream realm is apparently second-nature in some instances, and there's one completely insane plot point brought up late that Freddy's victims become forgotten in reality, which could create problems that never existed in the series before had it not been immediately dropped after its introduction. Talalay fares a smidgen better as a director, though there, she doesn't have as strong a visual identity as previous directors had, leading to a lot of strange stylistic choices that don't add much beyond showing some technical aptitude.

The problems magnify further whenever it concerns Maggie, or more precisely, the god-awful performance that Lisa Zane turns in for the character. While some of it can be pinned on the writing itself, especially as it makes the mistake of assuming that no one is going to catch onto Maggie's real identity once it's established to be a mystery, Zane proves too stiff and monotone for the complex emotions that her character is supposed to have, making the character too unlikable to root for. Great acting is a rare resource in slasher films, but why it sticks out that Zane is so bad is that the series had a much better batting average than most when it came to lead performances from actresses, all the way back to the first film's effective pairing of Amanda Wyss as the doomed yet sensitive Tina and Heather Lagenkamp as heroic Nancy; not award winning stuff, to be fair, but effective all the same in the way that Zane's Maggie simply refuses to be. The rest of the cast is just OK, with Yaphet Kotto as the seasoned vet with very little screen time and Breckin Meyer as the future big talent in the making (hey, you tell me that Joseph Gribble isn't a major role and see what happens!), but they can't put in enough work to make up for the void in the middle of the film itself.

And what of Freddy himself? Robert Englund is clearly having as much fun as he usually does, but the schtick is clearly in self-parody territory, and while Englund delivers the alleged zingers here with the same gusto as always, they have no hope of landing when they're attached to such lame set pieces. Featuring, as far as I know, film's only death via nails on a chalkboard delivered to a person with a physical handicap and definitely the only video game-related death that makes light of potential child abuse issues that's also accompanied by cartoon sound effects (if you folks like tonal whiplash, boy, does this film have plenty of that going around!), all one can really see in Freddy's kills is that New Line spent a lot of money on them and little else. The film sets up its victims as decent people that shouldn't die, one of the more commendable elements of the series that stayed fairly consistent, but with Freddy's menace being kept to an absolute minimum, there's no sense of dread and horror to help sell their losses once they're gone.

Truthfully, a lot of the good elements of the film, few as they are, almost seem accidental. For my money, the film never gets better than the introduction that ends with a scene in which Shon Greenblatt's character tumbles down a hill, which goes on for so long that it becomes hilarious. There's also the implication that being high in Nancy's old house allows for you to see the souls of Freddy's victims, which is quite extraordinary when you think about it, as is trying to come to grips with Freddy's overly complex plan to leave Springwood for good. As mentioned, there are a lot of decent ideas here, like going into Freddy's life before becoming a dream demon (unlike, well, every other slasher character, Freddy actually does benefit from elaboration), but it never comes together like it could. It was too much to put on a first-timer, even as well-versed as Talalay was with the series, and the results are messy and bloated. Little works, and the elements that do aren't important to the film at all. If it does have any kind of major positive influence, it's that it does help highlight just what a labor of love that the original was, and even makes you appreciate the previous films, as much of a slide that they were on that would make a film like this sadly inevitable. It sure as hell makes you appreciate more what Craven did with New Nightmare, which may not have been possible without the failures here. As it is, however, this film is exactly what you expected it to be: a whimpering end to a series that had a reach that soon exceeded its grasp, and the film we have here is the exact moment when it left the touch of its razor-blade fingertips for good.

Can we all watch 'Friday the 13th' on Friday the 13th, please?

I feel like it's the respectful thing to do

Of course. No other way to do it.

I've got a bit of an interesting list this year. First couple of years I did this, I watched a ton of the classics I had never seen, and then a year that was very 80's driven. As a result, this year is full of stuff from the last 5-10 years that I haven't seen yet. I think there's only 5 or 6 on the list this year that are re-watches.

1 - Hell House LLC
2 - Audition
3 - The Innkeepers
4 - The Final Girls
5 - Suspiria
6 - Inferno
7 - Get Out
7 - Hush
9 - Trick 'r Treat
10 - The Houses October Built
11 - The Void
12 - The Wailing
13 - Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
14 - The Witch
15 - Lights Out
16 - Green Room
17 - The Guest
18 - Martyrs
19 - Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
20 - Neon Demon
21 - Maniac
22 - The Babadook
23 - The Shining
24 - V/H/S
25 - The Last Exorcism
26 - The Amityville Horror
27 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
28 - 28 Days Later
29 - Drag Me to Hell
30 - House of the Devil
31 - Halloween

kevin1025

Banned
I can't believed I opened with Suspiria. It's the showstopper, I should have saved it!

It's my first time seeing it. I watched it at 1am, and then listened to a comedy podcast to fall asleep, because there was no way in hell I was falling asleep without a buffer. Then I spent all morning thinking about it, because it's still burned in my mind. Every shot feels menacing, the sliding doors, the rustling of curtains, hanging out in a pool, drinking wine, even water going down a drain... it all unnerved me. The insane music and raspy voices that accompany it really made me tense, and the impossibly gorgeous lighting paints the screen with beauty. Its gore is nuts, I was super impressed. The
sudden razor wire all over the floor in the "safe room"
broke me, I lost it, haha. I kept yelling, "Oh Jesus, oh no!" It must be the best use of "oh, they're safe now --- oh, oh shit" I've ever seen. This was incredible. So glad I finally got to see it. It's just, I don't know how any of the other massive pile of movies could possibly top it.

So I'm off to the races. Here we go.

1) Suspiria

I can't believed I opened with Suspiria. It's the showstopper, I should have saved it!

It's my first time seeing it. I watched it at 1am, and then listened to a comedy podcast to fall asleep, because there was no way in hell I was falling asleep without a buffer. Then I spent all morning thinking about it, because it's still burned in my mind. Every shot feels menacing, the sliding doors, the rustling of curtains, hanging out in a pool, drinking wine, even water going down a drain... it all unnerved me. The insane music and raspy voices that accompany it really made me tense, and the impossibly gorgeous lighting paints the screen with beauty. Its gore is nuts, I was super impressed. The
sudden razor wire all over the floor in the "safe room"
broke me, I lost it, haha. I kept yelling, "Oh Jesus, oh no!" It must be the best use of "oh, they're safe now --- oh, oh shit" I've ever seen. This was incredible. So glad I finally got to see it. It's just, I don't know how any of the other massive pile of movies could possibly top it.

So I'm off to the races. Here we go.

1) Suspiria

Lucky, lucky man. I wish I could go back and experience Suspiria the first time.

aravuus

1. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

IMDB says it's a thriller, but it was under horror on Netflix so it'll have to do for today's movie.

Didn't like it. Not really sure what made me pick it since I was just going through the horror section on Netflix. It was something I could have maybe appreciated more if I wasn't looking for a horror movie. I was looking for fun horror, or at least something so bad it was funny, what I got was weird posthumous poetry and long, lingering, out of focus shots.

I'd say its visuals were probably the best part of it for me, though they weren't all good either. I really liked the long (LONG) shots of dark corridors and windows and little nooks and crannies, just at the edges of shadows. Very discomforting, and none of them thankfully ever led to a dumb jump scare.

The rest of the visuals didn't work for me, however. I don't really know what purpose long, super out of focus shots of random things were meant to serve. I guess they were going for an artistic look, but like.. These were the types of shots I'd post on snapchat when I get home super drunk at 5am, thinking I was being the most underrated visual artist there is. And I'm not an artist. I'm a fucking software developer.

Tomorrow I'll watch a zombie movie or something.

sp3ctr3

1. Serial Mom

This mid 90's comedy has horror elements in the form of the kills. We follow this perfect american suburban family and the perfect stay at home mom who wants to keep it that way.

When/if people get on her nerves or criticize her family she offs them.

A classic? No. Worth a re-watch? Not likely. But it was pretty entertaining the whole way through.

lordxar

Driller Killer My theme is serial killers and I wanted to start with Peeping Tom but Shudder says its not for my region...so I fired this bad boy up. What a film to start with! The image below is the first thing you see. After that its some weird scenes of a band jamming out and other oddball stuff but that is merely setup for the lunatic to go and murder. I really enjoyed the descent into madness and the way it closes was awesome. I expected more but it was minimal which was actually refreshing. I rate this four holes in the skull.

Driller-Killer-3-615x346.jpg

yepyepyep

No way I can do anything close to 31 movies but I will post if I happen to watch any horror films during the month.

1. Eraserhead. A rewatch. Decided to watch this again after seeing Twin Peaks Season 3. This has to be one of the most technically accomplished low budget films of all time. Although it would be a horrible mismatch, you can see why George Lucas approached Lynch for Star Wars based on the set design and effects seen in the film. In fact, they are even better than the effects in Twin Peaks Season 3 (which I loved regardless).

The art direction seems very inspired by Francis Bacon, the baby in particular looks like the creature in this triptych.

I love all the strange details in the appartment, the unexplained hay surrounding the radiator, the mound of the dirt with the dead branch on Henry's bedside shelf. The sound design is also brilliant and unnerving. Unlike most horror films (although you could argue whether this even classifies as a traditional horror film) there is no impending threat of danger. Instead, we are trapped with Henry in his strange and disturbing domestic situation. The baby is still one of the creepiest things seen in a movie. After all these years, still one of Lynch's strongest efforts.

Pre-thon warmup watch was The Exoricst (1973). I haven't watched this in a few years which was good. Yearly views tend to desensitize me. This time, I watched the Extended Cut and was just as scary and unsettling as ever.

Ok, I'm all warmed up now!

My theme this year is Curse Of The Reboots And Sequels!!

Film 1: Halloween (2007), directed by Rob Zombie

Ho0aekK.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but I thought this remake wasn't terrible. It was actually a decent attempt. No way in hell does it compare to the original but I thought Rob did a good job.

6/10

Wanderer5

Well saw my first horror of the month a bit past midnight, and how about kicking this thing off by having a night of the living dead!

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

large_aNAgmnLyK0EsPzsjR2i1wHQufjf.jpg

So in honor of George Romero, I wanted to start with this, and thus now seen all of the original three of his zombie films. It holds up very well with a great cast (especially Ben) and some pretty gruesome imagery, like
the body of the lady on the upper floor, oh man when Barbra stumbles upon her.
I also like how at first it is just like one or two zombies, and then that number just rises as the movie goes on, adding on to the external conflict alongside stuff that is internal with the cast.

This is just an absolute classic that paved the way to the zombie genre, and Romero has certainly left a mark in film history.

Ithil

Having never actually seen it til now, Dracula from 1931 feels quite like a silent film, from the movements, pacing, and staging. It's difficult to separate from all the parodies and redos over the years but it's a solid good time all the same, though primarily from Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Renfield carrying it. The ending is definitely pretty weak though. It just sort of peters out.

Now, the original book has a bit of an anti-climax too as Dracula is defeated rather easily, but that would have been preferable to what you get in the film.

Now to watch the Spanish version which I hear is actually the better film.

1. (New) Jason Goes to Hell - what the heck? Pretty weak fun opener. Overall - boo
2. (New) Trick 'r Treat - hot damn I can't believe I slept on this for so long. It was at a time where I was down on what was coming out. Lots of Saw and lame black and white Japanese style demon kids. This is going to be an annual watch. Love the intermixing and variety of the stories. Really like Samhain's presence as well. Overall - Yay!

October 01
Film #2
The Stendhal Syndrome

Taking its title from an affliction that causes people to have a psychological break when exposed to great works of art, this is a film that has a mesmerizing first half-hour but then gets progressively less interesting as it goes along. More of a thriller than a horror flick – though there's plenty of blood splashed around the place, and an eye-gouging to boot, not to mention the tough to watch rape scenes – Dario Argento's movie lets itself down badly by abandoning the Stendhal syndrome as plot device far too early. The second half of the film pays only lip-service to art and artistry, as it devolves into a pretty bog-standard mystery. Not that there is any mystery to be honest, because it's painfully obvious what's going on, despite attempts to introduce doubt in the viewer's mind towards the end.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Asia Argento gives me Stendhal syndrome myself, so I could quite happily watch the whole thing over again right now. Props should also go to the ever-reliable Thomas Kretschmann who plays the very, very bad guy with disturbing relish. Ennio Morricone's score is also a winner. On the other hand the CGI – making its first appearance in an Italian movie – is definitely not a winner, but fortunately it's very sparsely used.

Verdict: Less clever than I was hoping it would be, but still worth a watch for the incredible Asia Argento if nothing else.

Tomorrow's movie: Last Girl Standing

Films I've watched so far

gabbo

This is something my girlfriend watches every year in October, so I might as well include it in the list. The cinematography and sound design really stand out to me this time. I didn't care so much for the drone and ambient sound design a lot of the time. I wondered what it would sound like with all of that removed and just the chainsaw buzz and screaming.

The cinematography I was really more impressed with cinema verite look than I ever have been. The low angle walking shots in the sun especially, just love them, they create a weird worldview but are still beautiful to look at. And there are still moments of tension and satire to be had on oft repeated viewing - the film really does attack both sides pretty well in a way current socio-political discourse couldnt even begin to fathom. True classic.

Toa TAK

Banned
I've been wanting to do this for a long time, so I'm gonna jump in this year.

So it's the first of the month, I'd thought I'd kick it off with something easy and a little nostalgic.

#1. Paranormal Activity

I forgot what a neat little movie this was. I also remember how big a deal it's marketing made it out to be. While it does a good job capitalizing on fears that I think are relatable to everyone in some way in some time in their lives, I still don't think it was enough to launch a whole franchise with its own sprawling, cross-generational story involving the family. It reminds me of the Blair Witch Project where they want you to believe it's really found footage (I completely forgot about the disclaimer in the beginning with Paramount having permission to show the footage). It works to an extent but sort of peters off with it's anticlimactic end. Paranormal Activity works because it's relatable in that no one wants a home intruder late at night, especially when they can grab your leg sticking out of your blanket.

1) Nosferatu (1922)

I think this is the earliest-made film I've ever seen, and my first silent film, and it was certainly an interesting watch. While I can appreciate the timeless design of Orlok- the simple pale skin and black coat, the long arms and classed fingers like spider legs, the fangs - and the striking imagery and use of shadows, the rest was more or less me appreciating how far film has come from Nosferatu.

2) Vampyr (1932)

Now this is more like it. Only ten years after Nosferatu, and Vampyr feels far more cinematic and compelling. It was interesting to see how much cinematography had progressed in a decade. Some very effective imagery, and a surreal, almost dream-like tone, made Vampyr a interesting film but not something I'll remember for long

3) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

This was surprisingly great. I honestly didn't expect to hold up as well as it does, nor be as violent and bloody as it is. You can see the foundations of the entire genre: the intragroup struggles, the opening chaos and confusion, needing to destroy the head or get headshots, the threat of the horde, the various archetypes that so familiar and common. It's also impressive how the black and white cinematography, combined with the dense shadows and that listless gait and their silence, makes the undead in this feel like an unearthly threat to be feared; zombies are so often used as fodder that seeing them presented as a real danger even in small numbers was very cool.

Night of the Living Dead makes excellent use of a claustrophobic and limited setting and perspective. It really is an effective movie even when measured against the zombie films of today, anchored by an all-around solid cast, especially Ben. I can't imagine how audiences must have reacted almost 50 years ago, because even today, it's a well-paced, intense, and mean zombie film, meaner than I think a lot of films in the genre would be.

Ridley327

October 1, film 2

For my money, the Friday the 13th series almost seems to get good installments almost on accident. Born from the throes of good advertising, the ambitions of the first film were strictly monetary in nature, and yet it has endured, largely for establishing the formula that nearly every slasher film would follow to the letter once Halloween proved too tricky to emulate properly. That it didn't even have Jason (that's part 2) or even Jason with his hockey mask (part 3) seemed incidental at best: toss out Pamela Voorhees for any other kind of psycho and you get what would likely be the same film. The series would go on to end in part 4, one of my favorites in the series, reboot less than a year later with part 5 that attempted to give us a new Jason (and failed, miserably), reboot far more successfully with the Jason everyone knows and loves to this day in his zombie-like incarnation (as well as giving us the best installment of the series), gain a sequel to that that mixed the normal Crystal Lake high-jinks with a bit of Stephen King-esque telekinesis, and then another sequel set largely on a boat destined for Vancouver standing in for New York. Sure, we all have our preferences of the 80s films, but suffice it to say, some were better than others. And then here comes Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday.

After an introduction that tricks you into thinking that you're getting the normal stalk-and-slash Friday the 13th, the movie literally destroys that expectation in a hail of gunfire and grenades as Jason is blown to pieces by a SWAT team and sent to a morgue in Ohio (I guess New Jersey doesn't have any morgues?). There, we begin to find out that there's a lot to Jason that we didn't know, like how his heart has hypnosis powers that compels a coroner to messily devour it, thereby transferring the spirit of Jason into a new host. Now, if that doesn't strike you as odd enough, it turns out that Jason bonded with some kind of demonic entity back when he went missing, giving him unnaturally long life and paranormal abilities to explain how he's been able to survive everything that's been thrown at and through him. If that's not enough for you, we also find out that he had a secret sister this whole time, who had a daughter (who then is caring for a newborn daughter), and for reasons left murky at best, Jason needs to hop into one of their bodies to resurrect himself back to his old self, as well as stop them from being able to stab his heart with a magic dagger that can send him straight to... well, it's in the title.

If you read all that aloud to yourself, you'll know that not even cocaine begins to explain how someone came up with that for any film, let alone a Friday the 13th installment. The crazy thing is that the concept is only the tip of the wackadoo iceberg, as the film is all too eager to throw anything and everything to the wall to see if it sticks. An opportunistic investigative reporter not above grave-robbing for ratings? Check. A grizzled bounty hunter with all the answers you're looking for, provided that you don't mind him breaking your fingers for no reason at all in the film's most sublimely hilarious scene? Double check. A bizarre mini-film that features the token "college age students go out to the woods to fuck, get killed by Jason" plot that doesn't even begin to fit in with the rest of the story, featuring copious nudity and a death scene that surely pissed off the MPAA like never before? Checks down the list. A protagonist whose only contribution is beating the crap out of the one person that's been trying to help him out and kinda looks like Harold Lloyd to boot? It's got that, too. I could keep going on and on, but needless to say, this film goes places.

I can see why this was disappointing to a lot of Friday the 13th fans, as it's the least Friday the 13th Friday the 13th film of them all, with a plot that takes more from something like The Hidden than anything particularly relating to dead teenagers, but there's about 400 of those kinds of films out there to sift through. The quality of the filmmaking here isn't particularly much better than most of the other installments, but the addition of any goddamned thing that came to the mind of the filmmakers makes a tremendous difference in both keeping you interested in the film from beginning to end, as well as dazzling you with so many astonishing things that don't belong in any kind of film, yet seem so right here. There are some genuine points of interest aside from the audacity, like KNB's terrific makeup effects (not hard to see what trimmed down for the R-rated version, though!), the surprising engagement with the more homoerotic elements to slasher films, which culminates in a scene so incredible that I dare not spoil it for anyone seeing for the first time, and a nice little bit of role reversal in the ending that I always appreciate whenever a film in the genre is able to pull it off.

It reminds a lot of Shakma, which I rewatched last week and enjoyed just as much as I did the first time around with that killer baboon attacking LARPers. For a series born strictly out of capitalizing on a growing trend, it's somewhat inspiring to see a series on its second finale wind up so unique and interesting for both the wrong and right reasons. This might be a bad film in the strictest sense of the definition, but I found it close to impossible to not be won over well before the Jason demon crawl up a dead woman's vagina and straight up converted afterward as the film hurtles towards the special effects extravaganza to finally send the big bastard down to hell that no one could have wanted but secretly desired this whole time. It may be a bad Friday the 13th film, but goddamn it, I'd take that over some of the outright bad films that this series has turned out.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
1. A Bay of Blood (rewatch) - This is the granddaddy of slashers and it still does some things better than the films it inspired. The special effects are outstanding and the kills are inventive. There's a very loose plot about violence begetting violence, but it doesn't amount to much. Bay has some of Bava's signature style and hallmarks, such as fortune tellers and groovy bongo music. The ending is ludicrous and hilarious. A shallow but fun watch.

2. Monster House - This has been on my watch list for the past couple of years and I never got around to it, so I made it a priority this year. I liked it quite a bit. Its a fun story about kids fighting a possessed house that eats people. Its funny, fast-paced, and takes a few surprising turns. Its a good family-friendly Halloween movie, which is a rarity.

Steamlord

1) Nosferatu (1922)

I think this is the earliest-made film I’ve ever seen, and my first silent film, and it was certainly an interesting watch. While I can appreciate the timeless design of Orlok- the simple pale skin and black coat, the long arms and classed fingers like spider legs, the fangs - and the striking imagery and use of shadows, the rest was more or less me appreciating how far film has come from Nosferatu.

2) Vampyr (1932)

Now this is more like it. Only ten years after Nosferatu, and Vampyr feels far more cinematic and compelling. It was interesting to see how much cinematography had progressed in a decade. Some very effective imagery, and a surreal, almost dream-like tone, made Vampyr a interesting film but not something I’ll remember for long

3) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

This was surprisingly great. You can see the foundations of the entire genre: the inter-group struggles, the opening chaos and confusion, needing to destroy the head or get headshots, the threat of the horde, the various archetypes that so familiar and common. It’s also impressive how the black and white cinematography, combined with the dense shadows and that listless gait, makes the undead in this feel like an unearthly threat to be feared; zombies are so often used as fodder that seeing them presented as a real danger even in small numbers was very cool.

Night of the Living Dead makes excellent use of a claustrophobic and limited setting and perspective. It really is an effective movie even when measured against the zombie films of today, anchored by an all-around solid cast, especially Ben. I can’t imagine how audiences must have reacted almost 50 years ago, because even today, it’s a well-paced, intense, and mean zombie film, meaner than I think a lot of films in the genre would be.

To be fair, Vampyr looks so good because it was directed by Carl Dreyer, one of the greatest directors of all time. Lots of films from the 30s still felt super clunky... Probably most of them, to be honest.

Nosferatu is a damn good first silent film to watch though. The only competitors I can think of for getting into silents would be some of Chaplin and Keaton's better films, or maybe Sunrise or The Wind.

Top Bottom