• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

15. The Ghost of Yotsuya (Nobuo Nakagawa, 1959)

MV5BNGYyY2JkMTYtYTM4ZC00NWNjLWE0YTgtY2UwNTgzOGJhODJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM0ODM0NDk@._V1_UY1200_CR106,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

A simplified Macbethian tale of loathsome Samurai greed turned vengeful ghost story. It’s sparse on frights until the second half of the film, but high on striking, surreal imagery. When things do a take a turn for a horrific though, it’s depicted in surprisingly gruesome terms. If Macbeth had to endure the torment Iemon goes through in this, he would have lopped his own damn head off.

16. Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974)

What's the scariest possible reason for someone to kill another person?

No reason at all.

There's a black pit of uncertainty at the center of this film that provides a chilling counterpoint to the feeling of inevitability that is inherent to this genre. That this film is set on Christmas gives it a sense of the ritualistic and unholy, much like vague news repots of solar flares do in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it's the humanity that frightens the most; the way the killer, in one of his deranged phone calls, alters his maniacal and schizophrenic ramblings to so casually end the call with "I'm going to kill you." You know what's going to happen next, but the senselessness behind such tainted and perverse acts of violence will keep you unnerved throughout.

Even the plentiful humor Clark employs throughout can only lighten the mood so briefly, because the idiosyncrasies it brings to even the smallest side player means that you end up worrying about the cast as characters, rather than as bowling pins waiting to be knocked down in the spectator sport that most slasher films fall in the realm of.

Black Christmas maybe plays a little too knowingly and perhaps unfairly with some of its whodunnit aspects, but I can hardly be too upset when it leads to more than a handful of chilling scenes and that great, great ending. It's fitting that this masterpiece of horror was directed by the man who would later unleash Baby Geniuses upon the world, because he was clearly a deranged man.

If landlines were still a thing, I would surely disconnect mine tonight.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
12: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

A new family has moved into the same house from the first movie. Now Freddy wants their boy to be his body to commit murders in the real world.

Never thought I'd see a guy towel whipped to death but here we are. I particularly enjoyed the father not getting freaked out by a bird exploding and blaming it on "cheap seed." Overall I think these'll be an easier watch than the F13th movies as the kills have some fun creativity and humor to them.

Toa TAK

Banned
Daaaaay 12. Not even two weeks into the month. How do you people keep this up year after year?

12. Little Evil

So another Adam Scott horror-comedy, though maybe labeling it horror is stretching it. More comedy with horror premise? Either way, it's got editing that comes almost out of an Edgar Write film and it's secondary characters are great. Adam Scott plays the straight man and as always he works well when he's bouncing off everyone else in this film that doesn't have it quite together. The core of this story being a step-father trying to forge a relationship with his step-son is good one to tell with the story of the anti-Christ to dress it up. I enjoyed the shout outs to classic horror films such as The Shining and Poltergeist as well.

I should've watched this after Krampus.

I forgot to post last night’s review but I’ve had it typed up in my notes, whoops. About to watch tonight’s pick, 28 Day’s Later. Last night’s review...

The Descent
The Descent’s biggest strength lies in the palpable sense of claustrophobia and tension. There’s a reason that the film is often cited as the benchmark for claustrophobic settings. That being said, there are a multitude of problems that keep the film from being little more than that.

The performances are serviceable though the characters themselves are little more than murder fodder, here we have the tried and true dumb characters making stupid decisions that get them killed. The characters are as rudimentary as the plot which centers around a grieving widower coping with the traumatic death of her husband and daughter. It’s a premise that, while simple and uninventive, has the potential to give an emotional core to the narrative. That potential is squandered though as the majority of the beats pertaining to this often involve visions of the deceased child that end with predictable and cheap jump scares. Another strong issue I’ve always had was the direction - it’s frantic. Too frantic. The action sequences are often filmed with the same clarity as something like Taken 2 which is to say, they’re fucked incomprehensible. The intentionally dark lighting doesn’t help matters either, making the majority of the film’s climactic action sequences confusing and dull.

These are some glaring flaws and for nearly every other movie, they’d be a death sentence. Thankfully in the case of The Descent, the incredible practical effects work and persistent sense of claustrophobia ore terrific assets that keep this otherwise creaky ship afloat and it is for these strengths that The Descent is remembered, not for its multitude of weaknesses. For myself however, I can’t let a predominantly mediocre movie get off completely scott free because of convincing effects work and atmosphere.

Descent is a 5.5/10 for me.

Ithil

Day 12's second film:

24) Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

RBobCmc.png

And if that man's master is anything like I think he's going to be, we're going to be entertained as well.

Christopher Lee is back, with very little to say.

Imagine this. A group of hapless tourists are on holiday, and venture into a strange home in a forest where they make themselves at home, in the process awakening a silent killer who stalks and kills them off one by one, until a final member has to fight back.
Yes, this Dracula entry is more or less a slasher flick.

There's definitely not much in the way of plot or great characters here. Dracula himself is cool as always, but has zero dialogue at all. There appear to be conflicting reports as to why, but it just enhances the slasher villain feel.
There's quite a gnarly special effect used for Dracula's resurrection, pretty gruesome for the time period. Thumbs up on that one.

As silly as the above is, it's all very amusing. I don't know if I can call this a "good" film but I can say it is at least entertaining.

sp3ctr3

2 days, back to back, not watching a horror movie. wednesday I watched Blade Runner 2049 and yesterday I wasn't home.

Going to watch Friday 13th Part VI tonight

sadromeo

October 12, 2017:

uvMQrFa.jpg

12 of 31 - Happy Death Day

A really fun movie about young college girl who dies on her birthday but keeps re-living that day in the hopes to figure out who keeps killing her…

I had a great time and really enjoy this movie. It was more “Scream” like comedy/drama with slasher twist as opposed to a horror movie but it was still fun to see the different ways she died and reacted when she woke up again.

If you’re familiar with horror movies, you could of probably guessed the killer within the first thirty minutes or half of the movie but there was a twist or two I didn’t see coming.

Also, the actress who played the lead was amazing in this. What she brought to the different aspects of her character and to successfully pull of the development of her character was truly great.

The movie is light on scares but the “Groundhog Day” premise of her repeat dying and evolving and trying to solve the mystery of kept killing here was absolute fun journey to go through because of the fun secondary characters and the way the actress pulled of the role.

Would recommend a watch. -7/10

I got to watch this with the director in attendance, and he still says that he had no idea about the homoerotic subtext that was about as subtle as a sledgehammer while making the film. But I love the film even with its problems and how it ignores some rules of Freddy.

Jack Shoulder is either the daftest person in existence, in total denial or outright lying if he still claims he can't see the homoerotic subtext in the film. For Christ sakes it's in the dialogue.

I gave up on two films last night.

October 12th
Abandoned film #1
The Unkindness of Ravens

This has a great premise - Afghanistan war vet whose PTSD makes everyday existence like a living horror movie - but the execution was not my cup of tea. Why use CGI when you haven't got the budget for it? The cartoony surrealism of much of the imagery just looked amateurish, and there's a lot of poetry in the script and it isn't nearly as good as it needs to be. It all comes off as a bit teenage angsty am-dram, which is a shame because the Scottish accents and the scenery were lovely.

Verdict: Might try this again at some point, but I couldn't be doing with it last night

Abandoned film #2
Savage Land

I didn't realize when I put this on that it was a fake documentary. I probably wouldn't even have bothered starting it if I had. Even well-regarded examples of this sub-genre, like Lake Mungo, would still be better if they abandoned the additional layer of artifice the faux-documentary brings. You need really good actors and a fantastic script to produce the kind of natural, nervy delivery common to participants in actual documentaries, and Savage Land has neither. It also didn't feel like the makers really knew the format they were aping, and I found myself wondering how many feature length documentaries they'd actually watched before making this. Plus, any film about a record breaking serial killer that also has a supernatural element to it has no right to be so deathly boring.

Verdict: I googled the end of the film, and I'm glad I didn't persevere past the halfway point.

A third of the way through the month and my hit to miss ratio is the worst it's ever been in the five 31DoH's I've participated in. Of the 14 films I've seen so far, only about half were worth watching at all, and only three will make the rewatch grade. I'm seriously thinking about revising my no rewatches policy for later in the month if things don't improve!

Penguin

Movie 1 - Dracula (1931) [NEW]
Movie 2 - Dracula 2000 [NEW]
Movie 3 - Dracula (1979) [NEW]
Movie 4- The Creature from The Black Lagoon [NEW]
Movie 5 - Dracula's Daughter [New]
Movie 6 - Son of Dracula [New]
Movie 7 - El Bar [New]
Movie 8 - Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula [New]
Movie 9 - John Carpenter's Vampires [New]
Movie 10 - Blacula [New]
Movie 11 - Dollman vs Demonic Toys [New]
Movie 12 - Frankenstein 1931 [New]
Movie 13 - Bride of Frankenstein [New]
Movie 14 - Corpse Bride [New]
Movie 15 - Little Evil [New]
Movie 16 - Alienate [New]
Movie 17 - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [New]

Movie 18 - Cult of Chucky [New]
The movie is bizarre not sure if any other way to describe it. The narrative flow was a bit strange with no real agenda for Chucky it seems until the end. The chars were fun and guess sets up the series for a possible new direction.

19. Seed of Chucky (2004) A laugh out loud ridiculous romp that actually provides closure on some level in terms of Chuck'y character development. I loved this one far more than I expected an it is the perfect goodbye to the full on Scream style self-aware comedy Chucky. Classic line sees Chucky cut a whole through a door ala The Shinning totally setting up for the expected Here's Johnny (Heeeeeeeeere's Chucky) moment... Instead the camera lingers, Chucky looks around with the same facial expression that Jack had in The Shinning, but just as the scene is about to go to long Chucky says You know I can't think of anything to say... fucking brilliant.

20. Curse of Chucky (2013) A back to basics Chucky movie that still honours the Bride and Seed stuff as well, very strong, very well shot (arguably the best of them all on that level). Suffers from the same issues I had with the first Child's Play: silent Dourif syndrome, Dourif is just too good to kept silent for that long that said it really worked. Dug it, it was very mean and very vicious and really tied nicely into the previous movies.

21. Cult of Chucky (2017) The final one so fat, and I'm going to miss this series. A slow start that is made up for by having brutally insane final act that is the goriest yet. Fiona Dourif is fucking fantastic in this (she is given far more to do here than she had as the protag of Curse) and it is incredible how much she looks like her father. Brad Dourif is let pretty lose here and the movie is all the better for it. Very much a movie though that screams for a TV Trope entry titled This is Now Hot Mental Illness Works... but such is life... probably the most artistic attempt at a Chucky film. This feels like a hyrbid of the Bride-Seed style and the Curse/Child's Play 1 style and that works really well actually.

Final thoughts on the series: Chucky might be the most consistent slasher series, none of them are the highest of the highs for me. There's no A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre in this series, nor do they hit the sheer visceral enjoyment The Friday the 13th movies give me.... but there's also no Halloween Resurrection, Freddy's Dead, Next Generation or Takes Manhattan/Jason Goes To Hell. The weakest of them (3) is just simply ok rather than insulting like some entries in the other series... there's also never been a reboot or a remake. I think the consistency is owed to the fact that the series has had the same writer from day one: Don Mancini (who now has taken over the directing reigns of the series since 2004 with great results. The series has also had one consistent producer David Kirschner (how also designed the original Chucky doll, and thus there's been visual consistency for the near 30 year series as well). It's a really damn good, and underrated series of flicks and I look forward to the 8th one in the future.

Final rankings (and really 1-6 could easily change depending on what mood I'm in and what tone I want, I really loved Bride and Seed):

1. Child's Play 2
2. Cult of Chucky
3. Curse of Chucky.
4. Bride of Cucky
5. Seed of Chucky
6. Child's Play
7. Child's Play 3

Toa TAK

Banned
On Friday the 13th, I did not watch the titular film (mainly because I couldn't find it on any streaming service I had). So I had to settle for:

13. Blair Witch

The sequel to the original Blair Witch Project where this film does some interesting viewpoints with the cameras without it feeling faked for cinematic shots. Unfortunetly it still plays out like every single found footage movie where it drags in the beginning and uncontrollably shakes during the finale. At least you get a glimpse of the monster this time.

DAY TEN: LITTLE EVIL

Adam Scott marries into being the Stepdad of the AntiChrist. Hilarity ensues. Made by the same team behind Tucker and Dale v. Evil, this one hits on the same level. Think a more broad Edgar Wright horror movie homage and you'll get the idea. It's obviously not as good as one of those as the investment into the characterization is not nearly as rich here as it is there, and the jokes, while funny, are far from subtle. But it's a fine, fun film. I recommend it.

DAY ELEVEN: DEATH SPA

After watching Chopping Mall, this little gem showed up in my Amazon Prime recommendations. "How Did This Get Made" ran a hilarious episode on this a long-ass time ago. I'd always wanted to see it but was under the impression it wasn't so easy to find. Now that I've finally got my hands on it, I still don't quite know what to make of it. It's far better shot than you'd think for a movie of this caliber, and the script, while HIGHLY PROBLEMATIC (as you'd expect), is actually kinda competent, particularly for a ghost story about a ghost haunting a spa. But then you get into some of the weird line deliveries, the long shots of people exercising, the main character getting action almost constantly, the egregious women showering or getting changed, and the weak gore, and you start to get why. There's shades of something that could actually be interesting and competent and they're there just enough to diminish the "so-bad-it's-good" appeal. But what it lacks in competency coherence, it more than makes up for in inherent watchability. All in all, still a fun movie with plenty to get drunk and mock, but feels weak on the "bad" compared to Chopping Mall.

lordxar

A third of the way through the month and my hit to miss ratio is the worst it's ever been in the five 31DoH's I've participated in. Of the 14 films I've seen so far, only about half were worth watching at all, and only three will make the rewatch grade. I'm seriously thinking about revising my no rewatches policy for later in the month if things don't improve!

Yea I'm feeling a bit disappointed this year too. Between my two lists I've watched nearly 40 movies since September 15th when I started the first but I could only strongly recommend about 6 or 8 of them. I do have some really cool sounding ones coming up but overall I'm blah about this year so far.

9 | The Innkeepers | New!
rLPTBaG.jpg

I did not enjoy this one much at all. I found it very boring honestly. It started off slow like The House of the Devil also but the payoff wasn't quite there. The main characters were boring and there wasn't much to the story.
Also the ghosts seemed very underutilized for them to try and flesh out their story so much. Also weak cop out at the end with her having a asthma/heart attack. Just seems like Ti didn't know where to go next and just ended it.

19. Seed of Chucky (2004) A laugh out loud ridiculous romp that actually provides closure on some level in terms of Chuck'y character development. I loved this one far more than I expected an it is the perfect goodbye to the full on Scream style self-aware comedy Chucky. Classic line sees Chucky cut a whole through a door ala The Shinning totally setting up for the expected Here's Johnny (Heeeeeeeeere's Chucky) moment... Instead the camera lingers, Chucky looks around with the same facial expression that Jack had in The Shinning, but just as the scene is about to go to long Chucky says You know I can't think of anything to say... fucking brilliant.

20. Curse of Chucky (2013) A back to basics Chucky movie that still honours the Bride and Seed stuff as well, very strong, very well shot (arguably the best of them all on that level). Suffers from the same issues I had with the first Child's Play: silent Dourif syndrome, Dourif is just too good to kept silent for that long that said it really worked. Dug it, it was very mean and very vicious and really tied nicely into the previous movies.

21. Cult of Chucky (2017) The final one so fat, and I'm going to miss this series. A slow start that is made up for by having brutally insane final act that is the goriest yet. Fiona Dourif is fucking fantastic in this (she is given far more to do here than she had as the protag of Curse) and it is incredible how much she looks like her father. Brad Dourif is let pretty lose here and the movie is all the better for it. Very much a movie though that screams for a TV Trope entry titled This is Now Hot Mental Illness Works... but such is life... probably the most artistic attempt at a Chucky film. This feels like a hyrbid of the Bride-Seed style and the Curse/Child's Play 1 style and that works really well actually.

Final thoughts on the series: Chucky might be the most consistent slasher series, none of them are the highest of the highs for me. There's no A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre in this series, nor do they hit the sheer visceral enjoyment The Friday the 13th movies give me.... but there's also no Halloween Resurrection, Freddy's Dead, Next Generation or Takes Manhattan/Jason Goes To Hell. The weakest of them (3) is just simply ok rather than insulting like some entries in the other series... there's also never been a reboot or a remake. I think the consistency is owed to the fact that the series has had the same writer from day one: Don Mancini (who now has taken over the directing reigns of the series since 2004 with great results. The series has also had one consistent producer David Kirschner (how also designed the original Chucky doll, and thus there's been visual consistency for the near 30 year series as well). It's a really damn good, and underrated series of flicks and I look forward to the 8th one in the future.

Final rankings (and really 1-6 could easily change depending on what mood I'm in and what tone I want, I really loved Bride and Seed):

1. Child's Play 2
2. Cult of Chucky
3. Curse of Chucky.
4. Bride of Cucky
5. Seed of Chucky
6. Child's Play
7. Child's Play 3

This ranking fucking rules, although I'd switch out "Bride/Seed" Chapter of the Chucky franchise for "Play/Play 3" and put Curse at the top. The "Bride/Seed" era, while making excellent use of Douriff, just doesn't work for me at all.

10. Dark Signal

This movie feels like the horror elements were in service of the 'Who Done it?' aspect. A lot of my troubles with this movie are to do with the fact that I couldn't follow the story too closely early on. The plots seemed to have nothing to do with each other.
If you thought they were tied together early on then it's too easy to figure out what's going on.
This movie scores 3 bursts of static out of 5.

This ranking fucking rules, although I'd switch out "Bride/Seed" Chapter of the Chucky franchise for "Play/Play 3" and put Curse at the top. The "Bride/Seed" era, while making excellent use of Douriff, just doesn't work for me at all.

Totally get that.

The humour just really worked for me and I’m never picky about “scary” because nothing is so I don’t the humorous tone. Plus Jennifer Tilley is the best.

Totally get that.

The humour just really worked for me and I’m never picky about “scary” because nothing is so I don’t the humorous tone. Plus Jennifer Tilley is the best.

Absolutely! Plus, at least they were really, sincerely, trying for something different with both. They're not at all my jam, but they go in completely insane directions for a horror franchise and we wouldn't have some of my favorite Chucky entries without them.

Absolutely! Plus, at least they were really, sincerely, trying for something different with both. They're not at all my jam, but they go in completely insane directions for a horror franchise and we wouldn't have some of my favorite Chucky entries without them.

Yep.

And it was good they stopped that at Seed. 2 of them was enough in that style and like I said they actually bring closure to some of Chucky’s development and honestly going ham with such a ridiculous concept was so needed just for a bit. Plus the scared stitched face is the best Chucky look.

I put 2 at the topic because Kyle is awesome and the third act rocks. Anytime I can be convinced to root for someone to survive it’s a win. That hurt Curse imo... didn’t give a shit about anyone except maybe Nica (but even then it was really Cult that made me like her... especially the end).

I have a feeling the next one will top them all though based on the stuff that happened in Cult.

Yep.

And it was good they stopped that at Seed. 2 of them was enough in that style and like I said they actually bring closure to some of Chucky’s development and honestly going ham with such a ridiculous concept was so needed just for a bit. Plus the scared stitched face is the best Chucky look.

I put 2 at the topic because Kyle is awesome and the third act rocks. Anytime I can be convinced to root for someone to survive it’s a win. That hurt Curse imo... didn’t give a shit about anyone except maybe Nica (but even then it was really Cult that made me like her... especially the end).

I have a feeling the next one will top them all though based on the stuff that happened in Cult.

The scares and subdued atmosphere of Curse really worked for me which is why I dug it more than any of the others, but 2 is easily a "perfect" Chucky movie with just the right amount of camp, gore, Chucky, and character.

I'm worried about what they're going to do after Cult, actually. Cult really pulled out all of the stops as far as topping previous entries go. I'm not sure where else they can go after that. They've got a great idea for a premise, but I have no idea where they'd go with the endgame. There's no way the next entry is going to be any typical "Chucky" experience.

The scares and subdued atmosphere of Curse really worked for me which is why I dug it more than any of the others, but 2 is easily a "perfect" Chucky movie with just the right amount of camp, gore, Chucky, and character.

I'm worried about what they're going to do after Cult, actually. Cult really pulled out all of the stops as far as topping previous entries go. I'm not sure where else they can go after that. They've got a great idea for a premise, but I have no idea where they'd go with the endgame. There's no way the next entry is going to be any typical "Chucky" experience.

It'll be Fiona Dourif unleashed next... what little we got of her as Chucky at the end was fantastic. Side not I loved the fake out with the guy believing he was Chucky but not actually being possessed.

thenexus6

Hellraiser

I watched it for the first time almost exactly one year ago. Watched it again last night, with my girlfriend who knew nothing about it. She liked it, had alot of questions and it got her thinking.

I love this film, too bad the series went to shit almost immediately (although I guess 2 is okay). From the outside you assume its just another slasher movie but its the total opposite. Awesome effects, and music too and I just dig everything about it.

I bought the Arrow blu ray just to watch the making of documentary.

Going to watch Hellraiser 2 tonight then call it a day. (Last year I watched 1-5 all for the first time).

It'll be Fiona Dourif unleashed next... what little we got of her as Chucky at the end was fantastic. Side not I loved the fake out with the guy believing he was Chucky but not actually being possessed.

It's a clever moment for sure.

In the meantime, I'm finally all caught up with:

DAY 3: BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR

So you alls love some Re-Animator, right? Of course you do, who wouldn't? Well Bride works as a pretty decent sequel. Sure it suffers from the general horror sequel problem of "How do you drum up good character motivations.", but the ones on display here are far from the worst excuse to get back to re-animating all over again. There's some that complain that this entry is too much of a rehash of the first, but, outside "Herbert animates some dead flesh", the plot structures are pretty different. And the gore! The GORE! There's so much! It's bright, it's colorful, it's plentiful, and it's pretty damn funny to boot. Brian Yuzna, director of Society, replaces Stuart Gordon in this one, but the camerawork is just as good, if not better than the prior entry. All in all, it's still more Re-Animator, but if you ask me, that's a very very good thing.

DAY ELEVEN: DEATH SPA

After watching Chopping Mall, this little gem showed up in my Amazon Prime recommendations.

Dude, this popped up on my recommendations after watching Chopping Mall too.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm super stoked. Been wanting to see it since it was featured on Best of the Worst.

Hellraiser

I watched it for the first time almost exactly one year ago. Watched it again last night, with my girlfriend who knew nothing about it. She liked it, had alot of questions and it got her thinking.

I love this film, too bad the series went to shit almost immediately (although I guess 2 is okay). From the outside you assume its just another slasher movie but its the total opposite. Awesome effects, and music too and I just dig everything about it.

I bought the Arrow blu ray just to watch the making of documentary.

Going to watch Hellraiser 2 tonight then call it a day. (Last year I watched 1-5 all for the first time).

I still think Bloodlines is a semi-decent Hellraiser film, but it's too bad the studio interfered with the original script

Child's Play Series

Hell Yeah. I'm in agreement that it's the most consistent slasher, probably horror series out there. I'm pretty much down for whatever Mancini wants to cook up. There is just something about these movies that appeal to me. Dourif is a big part of that of course.

October Friday the 13th
Film #15
Friday The 13th (2009)

While nowhere near as good as the current king of the remakes (which is clearly Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes), this is actually a pretty solid movie. Prior to advice from this thread, I had it in my mind it was shit-tier, possibly because I hated director Marcus Nispel's Texas Chainsaw Massacre redo so much, but I was very wrong. Choosing not to be a straight rework of the first film probably helps, not least because we get Jason and the hockey mask and all that good stuff.

The youngsters getting slaughtered were mostly appealing – though I liked the first bunch of weed entrepreneurs much better than douchebag Trent's entourage
(also Trent should have died a lot earlier, the spoilt little rich-boy twat)
– and the kills are fun. Derek Mears portrayal of Jason is also a highlight.

Verdict: My first time watching a Friday the 13th movie on Friday the 13th, and it was not bad at all.

Films I've watched so far

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)
#10 The Conjuring 2

#11 Jason Lives: Friday 13th part VI
maxresdefault.jpg

This movie is an absolute blast!!

Tommy Jarvis is headed to the cemetary where they buried the body of Jason. He wants to cremate him to send him to hell. He messes up, revives Jason by a Jolt of Lightning and gets his buddy killed in the process. Tommy races to the police station but noone believes him.

Jason is back, revived as a supernatural zombie. Unkillable and with increased strenght. And he doesn't fuck around. I think I counted 17 kills!! My favorite kill is either when he smashes the girls head into the side of the camper van to leave an inprint of her face or the when he bends the sherif in half.

Favorite shot of the movie is the picture posted above when he stands on top of the burning camper van.

1. (New) Jason Goes to Hell (Vudu)
2. (New) Trick 'r Treat (Blu)
3. (Rewatch) From Dusk Till Dawn (hulu)
4. (Rewatch) The Faculty (hulu)
5. (New) My Bloody Valentine (3d Blu)
6. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 3 (vudu movies on us)
7. (New) Tag (Netflix)
8. (New) Pumpkinhead (Amazon prime)
9. (Rewatch) Final Destination 5 (3-D Blu)
10. (Rewatch) Piranha 3-D (3-D Blu)
11. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 2 (Vudu on us)
12. (Rewatch) Zombieland (blu)
13. (Rewatch) The 'Burbs (Arrow Blu)
14. (Rewatch) Scream (Vudu)
15. (Rewatch) Mars Attacks (hulu)
16. (Rewatch) Devil’s Advocate (Hulu)
17 (New) Hatchet (Hulu). This didn’t do much for me. Certainly nothing revolutionary but a little bit of fun dialogue and a couple decent kills. I’ll proablh watch the second to see what was up with the ending.

Ridley327

Finally caught up on reviews!

October 10

As blasphemous as it is rollicking, The Day of the Beast boasts an undeniable energy from the first frame, as our hero (Álex Angulo in a cheerful performance) sets out to commit any sin he can think of so that he can find easy passage to save the world from the Antichrist. Along the way, he's joined by a metal-head record store employee (Santiago Segura, clearly having fun as a stereotypical headbanger) and eventually a TV paranormal expert/con man (a wonderfully droll Armando De Razza) on his quest that involves a cornucopia of gags, some involving chalk, outrageous physical humor and bizarre non sequiturs that initially don't seem like they have much to do with anything with the film's plot. As it turns out, though, there's a lot more to this story than it initially appears, and while it's not terribly complicated, I did appreciate that there was a lot of ambition to how they wanted this Biblical showdown to play out, especially when there's quite a bit more subjectivity than the premise lets on. There, the film's energy is let down by some flagging pacing that mutes the enthusiasm enough to cool it down, but thankfully, business picks up in a big, big way for a finale that defies any easy explanation, both from thematic standpoint (surprisingly ambiguous) and from a sheer content perspective (unsurprisingly in-goddamn-fucking-sane). This marks the second film I've seen of Alex de la Iglesia, the first being the "bitter divorce-informed episode of Scooby Doo on so, so many drugs" that was Witching & Bitching, and between these two, it's clear that he's a filmmaker that demands a much deeper dive to see just what else he can think of that no one earth should and how much gusto he puts into it.

October 11

The film noir nightmare to perhaps end them all, Lost Highway is yet another example of just how truly singular David Lynch is as a creative talent, not to mention just how great he is at making you jump out of your seat with only the simplest of visual ideas. Frequently imitated and seldom equaled (if ever), Lynch handles a tricky narrative in which events never quite coalesce in a logical way, despite barreling along with a general progression that feels like it's missing a lot of key elements from a typical potboiler. As it's hinted at throughout, though, we're not so much going through the motions as we're seeing them through the eyes or more precisely through the perception of a man who is terrified by the immediate moment as well as the grim future that awaits him (Bill Pullman, proving to be a surprisingly versatile performer as Fred, and certainly right in the wheelhouse of other Lynch protagonists).

Then, in true Lynch fashion, the story completely shifts, figuratively and quite literally, and we're suddenly thrust into what can be best described as a new reality: a new lead is cast, a new story is charted and we seemingly move away from the dread-soaked, red curtained interiors for a far sunnier disposition, marked by a more youthful exuberance and more outright comedy. That's when it's too late to notice the complex trap that Lynch has set, as this seemingly discordant section of the film has everything to do with the first, offering up new clarity and understanding to how we got to where we're at without quite getting the full picture. At this point, this is where the genius of the film is really shown off, as the deeply frayed mind we've likely been peering through ("likely" is about as good as it gets whenever it concerns Lynch, and gosh, do I love him for that) struggles against falling in line with the plot he's drawn himself into while knowing deep down that he's quickly arriving at a foregone conclusion. Despite the lack of pyrotechnics, this internalized disaster feels like a true calamity, and watching it unfold in every unnerving and gruesome way makes you sick to your stomach in the best way imaginable.

For a cameo-ridden film, including the final appearances of longtime Lynch counterpart Jack Nance and a surprisingly not-exploitative appearance from Richard Pryor, it's amazing how little they distract, as if they're exactly where they need to be, even among the larger featured players like Patricia Arquette (who does a fantastic job in her dual role) and Robert Loggia (using his skills as a character actor to chilling effect, being genuinely hilarious and convincingly monstrous, often in the same scene). I know that Balthazar Getty receives a fair bit of criticism, and while on paper, it's not a great performance considering how much screen time he gets, it winds up being just the kind of thing the movie needs, which might be more praise for Lynch specifically, but the right actor in the right role can work wonders when used correctly, as I feel is the case here. All the other elements you expect out from Lynch on a technical level are present, but I really did like his choice to compliment Angelo Badalamenti's score with the additional work of Trent Reznor, both for the eerie industrial slices he produces as well as the licensed soundtrack choices (not much wonder that the soundtrack itself was such a big hit), as it helps to reinforce the themes that Lynch is working with here.

It's crazy to be this floored again by another film this marathon, especially so soon after seeing one masterpiece in the form of Man Bites Dog, but this is clearly another one and will assuredly get some heavy play for years to come. There may never come a day where I grasp it the same way that Lynch, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna try to anyway.

October 12

Imagine the elevator pitch for My Soul is Slashed in your head: Ken Ogata was a mere pharmaceutical manager until corporate subterfuge sets him up to take the fall and requires him to have a more permanent leave of absence, only for one complication to arise: an accidental transfusion of Dracula's actual blood! Yes, that is indeed the premise of this horror-comedy, and as one might suspect, it's a bit heavier on the second part of the equation. But in a somewhat rare and certainly refreshing manner, the film does show a deep appreciation for the most popular imagery associated with the Count while also mounting its own show of force as far as depicting his abilities, and it establishes that love right from the get-go with a rather loving title credits sequence that imagines Dracula's most iconic moments through the use of dioramas. Being a more gentle film, the vampiric powers do take a bit of a back seat as Ishikawa has to come to terms with his newfound status as not only the heir to a great and dark legacy, but having to deal with how life has gone on without him in the interim, particularly where it concerns his family. Thanks to Ogata's performance, he's able to switch effortlessly from physical comedy to aching longing, and even gets to try out an outright romantic role at times, as Ishikawa's growing relationship with the one woman who can help him out (who, in an incredible development worthy of a film with a concept like this, grew up with Dracula as her ideal Prince Charming) is rather sweet, helped out by the silly yet sincere performance that Narumi Yasuda puts forth. You even forgive the film for not making that big a deal out of the comeuppance that eventually comes to Ishikawa's murders as it's very secondary to scenes where he feels the pangs of heartbreak to see his wife struggle to move on with her life, or trying to be a better father to his daughter than he was while alive, which goes to show that even with a crazy concept like this film has, good writing for the characters is still possible and quite effective. Through all the strange moments it has, it winds up as such a fun and goodhearted film that simply loves its subject matter, and it's hard not to love it right back.

Films for Oct 13: With all this fantasy, isn't is about time to embrace some reality? First up is Ghostwatch, said to be one of the scariest things ever produced for television, and I'm eager to see how well it's managed to hold up for someone who wasn't a British TV watcher back in 1992 when it was first unleashed unannounced. Then, we discover whether or not that the claims of The Blair Witch Project not being the first major found footage breakthrough film of the 90s is true, as The Last Broadcast has something to say about that.

Gameboy415

I've managed to watch a movie every night this month but haven't had time to update my list until now!

1. Fright Night (1985) - DVD
2.The Dead Hate The Living - DVD
3. Darkness - DVD

4. Arachnid - DVD
51AREPSMKFL.jpg

-Found this at Goodwill and was really intrigued by the cover art & the premise. Despite the really interesting opening act and some decent creature effects, the film was pretty mediocre in the end.

5 & 6. House + House 2: The Second Story - Blu-Ray
House-House-II-Blu-rays-620-02.jpg

-I discovered these movies a few years back thanks to this thread but just got the recently released Blu-Ray remasters! Both are great films and they look fantastic on Blu-Ray!

7. It (2017) - Theater
largeposter.jpg

-This was my 2nd time seeing It, but the first time was at a Drive-In with idiots constantly turning on their headlights and ruining the movie for me. It's a fantastic remake and I can't wait for Part 2!

8. Disney's Tower of Terror - DVD
51GZM32AQ5L.jpg

-I'm watching this year's batch of films with my girlfriend so I'm peppering in a few 'lighter' movies. That said, this was surprisingly good for a TV-movie based on a ride!

9. Charles Band's Skull Heads - DVD
220px-Cover_of_the_movie_Skull_Heads.jpg

-Yet another Goodwill find and, considering I've enjoyed most of the other Full Moon Pictures films I've seen, I was pretty psyched to check this out. Unfortunately it was awful! The titular Skull Heads are in the movie for approximately 5 minutes and have almost nothing to do with the (terrible and somewhat gross) plot. Blah.

10. The Blair Witch Project - DVD
41FNA386RGL.jpg

-I hadn't seen this one in at least 15 years but it still holds up really well!

11. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 - DVD
51674ASQWCL._SY445_.jpg

-I also hadn't seen this one in quite a while but it was pretty crappy compared to the original film. I wasn't a huge fan of the overly-angsty tone and the 'movie in a movie' concept.

12. Blair Witch (2016) - Blu-Ray
61qPklxEOQL._SX342_.jpg

-It was my first time seeing this one and apparently it didn't get the best reviews but I loved it! I thought the creature effects were well-done for a found-footage film and the sound design was phenomenal on my Surround Sound setup!!

Tonight, I'm going to watch a truly classic horror film in honor of Friday the 13th - JASON X! ;)

Ithil

25) The Devil Rides Out (1968)

devil%20rides%20out%2001.jpg

The Angel of Death was summoned. He cannot return empty-handed.

A shocking narrative twist I will spoil for you all, in a movie about a Satanist cult starring Christopher Lee, Lee in fact plays the hero.

I am not familiar with the book this is based on, so I can't tell you how faithful it is, but this was one of Hammer's finest efforts I've seen. Rather than rely on gore or a high body count, the film opts for suspense, and generally succeeds. The scene where Lee's character attempts to protect the house from invading evil spirits using a magic drawn circle is a good example, and felt quite ahead of its time in its intensity. I've definitely seen similar scenes in a lot of films since, and shows, too (for instance, Supernatural does this sort of thing a lot).

The evil cult has all the expected trappings of a 1960s idea of Satanists; lots of candles and robes and ominous chants, and a leader who dresses up as Magneto. There's also some thoroughly rubbish rear projection for a car chase that legitimately looks like the joke car scene from Airplane.
None of that detracts overall of course, and I'd say this is well worth checking out.

I’ll post last night’s review with my Friday the 13th review later tonight but for the hell of it, one of you should get a little treat and enjoy the season.

Quote this post for a digital copy of Cult of Chucky.
Redeemable on iTunes, Unrated cut too. Enjoy!

22. Happy Death Day (2017)

I grooved to this, much funnier than the trailers would have you believe and the basic message behind it is not a new one by any means but it was fun romp that was utterly carried and elevated by its star Jessica Rothe, her ability to make you loathe her and then love her in under 2 hours is impressive. I had read from some reviews that the ending disappointed but I disagree on that. Also one of the last lines in the film had me howling.

It's not scary, it's not gory, but it is a fun 90 min.... Plus always nice to see films with a budget in the single digit millions, it'll make its money make and then some in one weekend, which I always admire.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
October 12, 2017:

uvMQrFa.jpg

12 of 31 - Happy Death Day

A really fun movie about young college girl who dies on her birthday but keeps re-living that day in the hopes to figure out who keeps killing her…

I had a great time and really enjoy this movie. It was more “Scream” like comedy/drama with slasher twist as opposed to a horror movie but it was still fun to see the different ways she died and reacted when she woke up again.

If you’re familiar with horror movies, you could of probably guessed the killer within the first thirty minutes or half of the movie but there was a twist or two I didn’t see coming.

Also, the actress who played the lead was amazing in this. What she brought to the different aspects of her character and to successfully pull of the development of her character was truly great.

The movie is light on scares but the “Groundhog Day” premise of her repeat dying and evolving and trying to solve the mystery of kept killing here was absolute fun journey to go through because of the fun secondary characters and the way the actress pulled of the role.

Would recommend a watch. -7/10

Pretty much ditto for me except it was new movie 13 for me. Packed house so i think it will outdo projections box office wise (anecdotal I know). Though I thought the killer was
chester

October Friday the 13th
Film #15
Friday The 13th (2009)

While nowhere near as good as the current king of the remakes (which is clearly Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes), this is actually a pretty solid movie. Prior to advice from this thread, I had it in my mind it was shit-tier, possibly because I hated director Marcus Nispel's Texas Chainsaw Massacre redo so much, but I was very wrong. Choosing not to be a straight rework of the first film probably helps, not least because we get Jason and the hockey mask and all that good stuff.
Best thing about this is how brutal and ruthless Jason is portrayed. He's legitimately terrifying in this movie.

B6fIyYQ.gif

17. I Walked With a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)

latest

What is beautiful on the surface may be dead underneath. That’s as true of the titular zombie of this film as it is the seemingly paradisal setting that masks a dark and tortured past.

As they did on Cat People, Jacques Tourneur and Val Lewton take what should be a cheap B-movie and turn it into a gorgeously textures tableau of sorrow, as chilling as it is gorgeous. Every easy temptation, from a hokey romance to voodoo depicted solely as a terrifying force of evil, is resisted. Don’t be fooled by the title, I Walked With a Zombie is no silly spookshow, but a genuine haunt.

And, looking forward I just made a much delayed purchase of Halloween’s 35th anniversary bluray so sometime soon I’ll give it a fresh rewatch now that I’ve seen Black Christmas.

Best thing about this is how brutal and ruthless Jason is portrayed. He's legitimately terrifying in this movie.

B6fIyYQ.gif

As far as Platinum Dunes remakes go, Friday the 13th really nails it. Jason is actually menacing. The kills are well orchestrated. The characters are insufferable in a fun way. The first 20 minutes or so alone are worth the price of admission.

Ridley327

I'm sure it would have eventually happened during one of these marathons, particularly because there are so many films out there to begin with, but it finally happened: I found a movie with an ending so disastrous, so logic-defying and so ill-considered that it finally topped High Tension for me as far as movie-ruining twists are concerned. I am fuming.

I'm sure it would have eventually happened during one of these marathons, particularly because there are so many films out there to begin with, but it finally happened: I found a movie with an ending so disastrous, so logic-defying and so ill-considered that it finally topped High Tension for me as far as movie-ruining twists are concerned. I am fuming.

Which one?

Top Bottom