• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[33c3] Console Hacking 2016

la_briola

The yearly Chaos Communication Congress (in Hamburg, Germany) is taking place and marcan has a talk again.

edit: Video is archived here: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7946-console_hacking_2016

Last year, we demonstrated Linux running on the PS4 in a lightning talk - presented on the PS4 itself. But how did we do it? In a departure from previous Console Hacking talks focusing on security, this year we're going to focus on the PS4 hardware, what makes it different from a PC, and how we reverse engineered it enough to get a full-blown Linux distro running on it, complete with 3D acceleration.

So you have an exploit. You have code execution. Great! But what do you do now?

In the past, console homebrew usually focused on bringing up a development environment similar to the one used for commercial games. However, with the increasing complexity of console hardware, it's becoming impractical for a small team of hackers to create a full blown development SDK. Using leaked official SDKs is illegal. What can we do? Well, there's Linux.

The PS4 is particularly great for Linux, because it is based on a modified x86 platform and a modified Radeon GPU. That means that once the basic OS port is complete, it can run existing games - even Steam games and other commercial software. But just how similar is the PS4 to a PC? Can you just throw GRUB on it and boot an Ubuntu kernel? Not quite.

In this talk we'll cover the PS4 hardware and part of its software environment, and how we reverse engineered enough of it to write Linux drivers and kernel patches. We'll go over how we went from basic code execution to building a 'kexec' function that can boot into Linux from the PS4's FreeBSD-based kernel. We'll reverse engineer the PS4's special hardware, from special PCI interrupt management to the HDMI encoder. We'll dive deep into the Radeon-based GPU architecture, and we'll share some previously unreleased research and tools of interest to AMD Radeon driver developers and hackers.

If you're interested in the strange world of x86 hardware that isn't quite a PC, then this talk is for you.
-- https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/7946.html

The stream will be here: https://streaming.media.ccc.de/33c3/hall1

I will update this thread when the talk starts and after.

Ahasverus

Extremely interesting. I'd suppose as a PC, PS4 is not that strong for modern games, but could become an awesome emulation machine.

KyleCross

So just how close is the PS4 from being blown open? As someone addicted to Overwatch I'm concerned about cheaters. I never really played multiplayer on PS3 but I hear it got quite bad.

Ahasverus

So just how close is the PS4 from being blown open? As someone addicted to Overwatch I'm concerned about cheaters. I never really played multiplayer on PS3 but I hear it got quite bad.
The PS4 is the console of the generation. Its "safe" days are numbered. However, for what I understand they're not trying to run PS4 games but turning it into a PC, which is pretty intriguing given its emulation capabilities imo.

theultimo

The PS4 is the console of the generation. Its "safe" days are numbered. However, for what I understand they're not trying to run PS4 games but turning it into a PC, which is pretty intriguing given its emulation capabilities imo.
I can imagine the ps4 pro would be a great sff pc with linux if possible.

Was PC Master Race in the title really necessary? Something which is a completely fallacious term and something that upon reading or hearing will cause me to view the opinion of the user with serious scepticism.

I expect better than this, GAF.

jaina

Was PC Master Race in the title really necessary? Something which is a completely fallacious term and something that upon reading or hearing will cause me to view the opinion of the user with serious scepticism.

That's the name of the congress lecture. Because it's about what makes PS4 different from a standard PC.

la_briola

It's the subtitle of the talk. Which you would know if you checked the source I provided.

AAK

It's the title the speaker gave of the presentation:

https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/7946.html

And if you look at his twitter, he's openly negative towards the PS4:

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/812415708344762369

What? You don't like that "no so subtle" NAZI reference? I'm truly shocked!

KHlover

Banned

That's some reddit level of thread comprehension you're showing here.

I don't expect better from GAF, however.

OT:
Really interested in this talk, PS and Linux is such a loaded topic.

jediyoshi

So his talk is probably going to be full of PC elitism and talking shit about the PS4? If so I'm gonna pass.

It's funny because you're explicitly told exactly what the presentation is going to consist of and you choose to run with your own implicit imagination instead.

Marcan had been in the fore front of console hacking for a long time (wii and ps3 especially) his talks are always illuminating.

KyleCross

It's funny because you're explicitly told exactly what the presentation is going to consist of and you choose to run with your own implicit imagination instead.
I was just shown some of his tweets and in combination of the presentations subtitle what do you expect me to think?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So his talk is probably going to be full of PC elitism and talking shit about the PS4? If so I'm gonna pass.

Maybe, but from the sounds of that tweet, it seems his ire is more directed to the esoteric architecture of the system, which is kind of par for the course for consoles in general, and Sony in particular.

Engineering is often as frustrating as it is rewarding, reverse engineering even more so. As a result, talks directed to peers in this sort of field are often spiced up with humorous jabs at the pain points involved in working on/with the subject matter.

Always interested in the technical side of this stuff even if I got zero interest in actuality ever using it.

Also in before Sony removes the Web Browser in a update or something. (I assume this is using the old WebKit exploit?)

My apologies for the thread derail, I have been cranky all day.

I will just steer clear of this topic from here on out so I do not create any more disruption.

Well, I have nothing to add here beside master race is pretty fucking disgusting especially when it's held in Germany. Fucking hell.

Just my two cents.

c0de

Are you guys for real? He's talking about the weird hardware, not shitting your beloved product. It works as intended but this guy wants to know how exactly it works. Well, he knows now and will tell us which is awesome.

Vuze

Interesting, wasn't aware the standby features basically run on a separate chip with a separate OS. (Unless I misunderstood, he's talking so fast lol)

Also yeah, the presentation running on the console is pretty cool. :D

Ahasverus

AOLWXaq.gif

Ahasverus

I mean I'm barely following along, but that made me laugh.

I don't even know if it actually makes sense to do that, it just sounds ridiculous.
Probably thought it added another security layer? I don't understand, it makes the image display up to 2s later. That''s like, a lot.

Top Bottom