• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[33c3] Console Hacking 2016

Ahasverus

Ok by the checklist they're almost there. Still not a good, functional PC, but give it three years and it will be. Good stuff, and guy is a genius.

Pretty cool. Seems like the actual hacking was quite simple but the debugging of various issues slowed them down. Seems like Sony made a lot of "random" decisions with offsets and such. Kinda cool to see it run Steam proper with GPU acceleration.

la_briola

dat portal
tears.gif

Can we... can we just stop using Ubuntu for porting shit? Use something a bit more malleable with its packages and overall structure like Arch? Ubuntu and its kernels should not be a valid measuring stick for Linux.

My BAD! Didn't read carefully enough. The question of running an Ubuntu kernel clouded my rationality.

Ahasverus

Wait, did he just confirm there's a working exploit with no security problems that would render the console completely breakable? welp. He might not have hacked the PS4 into piracy, but he found how to do it. That's bad news, but really, the good outweighs the bad.

The real question is.. can it run Crysis? :p

Vuze

Fantastic presentation. I'd love to tinker around with it but no public latest firmware exploit :,(

MUnited83

For you.
Wait, did he just confirm there's a working exploit with no security problems that would render the console completely breakable? welp. He might not have hacked the PS4 into piracy, but he found how to do it. That's bad news, but really, the good outweighs the bad.

I need me some Kodi on PS4, bring it on.

KHlover

Banned
Hahaha, I clicked the link thinking it was live. Was met by a group of very serious German speakers. Cam anyone tell me what they are discussing?

Right now? Either a mock discussion or an actual discussion about some NSA stuff.

EDIT: Looks like a mock discussion.

Markiss614

A DisplayPort to HDMI bridge... just why lmao

I wonder if it has to do with using the raw displayport signal to do the encoding for the gameplay recording/streaming/shareplay functionality without worrying about HDCP before passing it through the HDMI bridge and applying HDCP.

If so, Sony execs shitting bricks right now?

Ahasverus

Nah, not unless it's made public. The Nintendo hackers held the news of their exploit until the (nintendo) generation was over, and the Sony ones could do the same; this guy isn't in interested in releasing the exploit either so they're good for now.

If some chinese/russian guy does it though, yeah, it's time to be scared. Or not, the 360 did just fine with piracy, and downloading a 80GB game is kinda not practical for the target audience of console piracy (poor people). It's not the same as burning a DL DVD. Now, if the exploit could read burned BR's, that would be another story, but that didn't happen with PS3 IIRC and it was hacked at the tail end of last gen.

There's a difference between 'hacking' a console and using one for piracy on recent games.
We've seen this on last gen where we got a hack like this every other month. At the end of the day, Sony/Microsoft updated their console and no one could use it for recent games/online play. In this day and age, where a console is more or less an online box, piracy isn't exactly something Sony and Microsoft should we worried about. Especially since most games are on PC and have no working DRM on it.

Ahasverus

There's a difference between 'hacking' a console and using one for piracy on recent games.
We've seen this on last gen where we got a hack like this every other month. At the end of the day, Sony/Microsoft updated their console and no one could use it for recent games/online play. In this day and age, where a console is more or less an online box, piracy isn't exactly something Sony and Microsoft should we worried about. Especially since most games are on PC and have no working DRM on it.
The guy confirmed it was something Sony couldn't patch tough, probably on a too low level of the system. The 360 and the PS3 never got hacked to boot up proprietary software (Maybe the earlier models did, i faintly remember some PS3 running linux) but this is original Xbox level of firmware replacing.

At the end of the day, it depends on the team to give it a use. I'd really, really love to run emulation on the PS4, as there is no "easy" emulation machine for modern TV's. Older PC titles would be the icing on the cake (No need for HD remakes!)

NeOak

The guy confirmed it was something Sony couldn't patch tough, probably on a too low level of the system. The 360 and the PS3 never got hacked to boot up proprietary software (Maybe the earlier models did, i faintly remember some PS3 running linux) but this is original Xbox level of firmware replacing.

At the end of the day, it depends on the team to give it a use. I'd really, really love to run emulation on the PS4, as there is no "easy" emulation machine for modern TV's. Older PC titles would be the icing on the cake (No need for HD remakes!)

Xbox 360 was broken, but the eFuses prevented a lot of people from downgrading back then, as well as you really needed a JTAG able console. And yes, there is a Linux distro for the 360: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free60

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-JTAG-your-Xbox-360-and-run-homebrew/

PS3 ran Linux because it originally had an Other OS option. Then that was removed with FW 3.21 and brought back with the 3.55 exploit.

At least read the wikipedia articles, sheesh.

About potential piracy:
I've heard the same things back in the day. The PS3 was at one point 'totally hacked' etc. An online box like the PS4 or Xbox One can never fully be hacked or Sony and Microsoft didn't do their job right and having no hackers or pirates on their console is always one of the priorities of a new console.

But even ignoring that and focusing on the emulation. Why would someone use their console for emulation? You would make your PS4 outdated and most certainly banned forever, so you can play some older games even a 40 euro raspberry pi can play (if we're talking about the older Nintendo games) or a 20 euro Steam Link if you really want to play more recent games on your TV that aren't on a PS4/Xbox One.
As an IT-guy I find these things interesting, but I see it as nothing more than that. It's a stunt, running Steam on a PS4, it has no real-life value.

Ahasverus

Xbox 360 was broken, but the eFuses prevented a lot of people from downgrading back then, as well as you really needed a JTAG able console. And yes, there is a Linux distro for the 360: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free60

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-JTAG-your-Xbox-360-and-run-homebrew/

PS3 ran Linux because it originally had an Other OS option. Then that was removed with FW 3.21 and brought back with the 3.55 exploit.

At least read the wikipedia articles, sheesh.
Oh I see. interesting. Seems like a hassle though, in the original xbox days it was golden. If this is a low system level exploit we might be back, and that'd be awesome.

Remember when the original Xbox wouldn't let you play DVD's without an overpriced add-on and then Kudo came in wrecking fools left and right with all formats compatibility? oh I member.
Maybe we can even get CD playback in PS4 too lol
About potential piracy:
I've heard the same things back in the day. The PS3 was at one point 'totally hacked' etc. An online box like the PS4 or Xbox One can never fully be hacked or Sony and Microsoft didn't do their job right and having no hackers or pirates on their console is always one of the priorities of a new console.

But even ignoring that and focusing on the emulation. Why would someone use their console for emulation? You would make your PS4 outdated and most certainly banned forever, so you can play some older games even a 40 euro raspberry pi can play (if we're talking about the older Nintendo games) or a 20 euro Steam Link if you really want to play more recent games on your TV that aren't on a PS4/Xbox One.
As an IT-guy I find these things interesting, but I see it as nothing more than that. It's a stunt, running Steam on a PS4, it has no real-life value.
That wouldn't be the case if the "alternative" OS is sideloaded, like the original Xbox did (You could still access the original dashboard). The PS3 was never "totally hacked", else it would had been able to play burned copies of games, it never did, it just got able to run unsigned digital games. The 360 had the JTAG hack which didn't let you go online, but there was one for the DVD drive that did allow for burned copies to run with no Xbox Live penalties. It ran at a low level so it was never patched.

A PS4 that works as a PS4 and a PC would be awesome, can't see the downsides imo.

Taruranto

? PS3 was completely open (As long you were under 3.55), literally could play any game and even go online.

jediyoshi

How can you play online if you need the latest firmware? And I know that a console can be hacked, but it get closed very fast by Sony/Microsoft.

You're mixing up them closing off firmware specific exploits that allow the modding of the system in the first place and a modded system's ability to spoof a newer firmware.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can you elaborate on this?

There was a hardware panel at the Chaos Communication Camp and the PS4 has some strange and exotic ways its build, but since nobody of the developers complaints labeling it as "pure shit" is pure shit.
Edit: I of cours emean the panel in this very thread. Thought this is the Steam Thread.

How can you play online if you need the latest firmware? And I know that a console can be hacked, but it get closed very fast by Sony/Microsoft.
There is custom FW for the latest system versions of both PS3 and Xbox 360.
PS3: Rebug 4.81.1
X360: xeBuild 1.17 with 17502 kernel support

You just need a specific exploitable FW to open the console for the first time.

True Fire

We have no idea how he modded his system. For all we know he could've multilated its insides in a way that is completely infeasible for non-hackers to replicate

Top Bottom