• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

qq more

Game & Wario is quick cash?

I mean it's likely not a high budgeted game but I doubt it's shovelware.

EDIT: Also the definition says "hastily made, without proper testing" and I seriously doubt it fits both Wario and Wii Fit U's descriptions. Try again, genius.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How people couldn't have seen this coming is beyond me. Nintendo launched a dated console mere months before the next gen PS and Xbox hypetrain took off. Not only that, but their software just isn't great and people aren't seeing a demonstrable difference between the Wii U and consoles they've been playing for years. On top of all of that, their marketing has been terrible. Add all of those things together and this will be as close to Dreamcast as you can get.

I'm sure consumers will see a massive difference between CoD in 720p on the PS3 and CoD in 1080p on the PS4.

Or perhaps another Gran Turismo prologue will be enough. Until we see the launch games for the other consoles we don't know how they compare, right now those platforms are just a fart in the wind.

I think they were banking on the controller causing another Wii phenomenon. A huge chunk of the production cost is from the controller. They lacked the foresight to see that wouldn't work since you can get the touch experience on a lot of devices now, especially on smart phones and tablets.

apana

Nintendo are going to end up a software company just like Sega.

lol

They have plenty of money saved up and I think are expecting to make up a profit this year. Sony stands a higher chance of going belly up right now. Not that I think any of the big three will leave the console market anytime soon. You guys are so doom and gloom. Even if the whole market implodes there are ways to correct and keep making a profit off low sales.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gonna keep a reversed version of this gif for when the PS4 sells poorly ;)
I'll keep an eye out for it if that actually happens :D

Meanwhile:

kazining.gif

Ushojax

I think they were banking on the controller causing another Wii phenomenon. A huge chunk of the production cost is from the controller. They lacked the foresight to see that wouldn't work since you can get the touch experience on a lot of devices now, especially on smart phones and tablets.

The problem is not the controller, the problem is that there isn't a killer app that uses the gamepad in an innovative way. The remote itself didn't sell the Wii, Wii Sports did. Likewise the DS didn't take off until Nintendogs came out.

Nintendo needed a similarly high quality, innovative game at launch for the Wii U but they couldn't provide one.

Partition

Banned
They have everything staked on the success of their consoles

So yes
No, because they will still make money this gen in the long run, which is all that matters. They have insane cash reserves thanks to the DS and Wii, it would take them several failed attempts in a row to make them consider not making consoles

Could one failed console be enough to make Nintendo go third party?

GameCube didn't make Nintendo go third party, so don't see why Wii U would if it met the same fate.

Nintendo should give Wii U a GameCube lifespan though and release a console in 2016/7 to compete with the PS4/Xbox.

No, but it could possibly get them to change their shitty low-tech route. Amazing that over the past 8 years they didn't look at the PS3 and 360 to see what it was that made core gamers flock to those consoles. Achievements/trophies, quality friend lists/communication, real account systems, organized storefronts, quality third party relationships. You'd think that the 3DS launch debacle would have shown them that the world won't simply buy it because it has 'Nintendo' stamped on it. Deliver the goods, and people will buy it. Deliver a console on par with 8 year old tech and no games, and you're going to bomb.

On the upside, Reggie appears to have lost a lot of weight in that falling-down-the-hill video. Good for him.

The problem is not the controller the problem is that there isn't a killer app that uses the gamepad in an innovative way. The remote itself didn't sell the Wii, Wii Sports did. Likewise the DS didn't take off until Nintendogs came out.

Agreed 100%. They've done a poor job of explaining why the tablet makes games better. The Wii U lacks the instant "oh i get it" that the Wii enjoyed.

The demo kiosks don't help either. Most of the ones I have seen either have no playable games, or just Rayman.

How do you launch with a bundle of tech demos yet don't put those into your demo kiosk?

The problem is not the controller, the problem is that there isn't a killer app that uses the gamepad in an innovative way. The remote itself didn't sell the Wii, Wii Sports did. Likewise the DS didn't take off until Nintendogs came out.

Nintendo needed a similarly high quality, innovative game at launch for the Wii U but they couldn't provide one.

I see your point. Looking at the upcoming games it's lacking that. A lot of safe bets with established titles.

Yup. I went to Bestbuy several times this month and there is no playable kiosks. Hell I didn't even get to try it out technically other then holding the controller.

Vire

The thing I don't get is, why release a console a year in advance if you have no games for it. I get that you want to get the jump start, but they basically sent it to die on arrival.

I mean Mario or Zelda isn't coming out till the end of 2013, so I really don't understand why they released it so early.

If GameCube can't kill Nintendo, the Wii U won't. 1st party software will always be enough to push the system for a few years.

How was Gamecube's early sales compared to this? I know it ended up with 22 million units or so, but what was it at, at this point?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No, but it could possibly get them to change their shitty low-tech route. Amazing that over the past 8 years they didn't look at the PS3 and 360 to see what it was that made core gamers flock to those consoles. Achievements/trophies, quality friend lists/communication, real account systems, organized storefronts, quality third party relationships. You'd think that the 3DS launch debacle would have shown them that the world won't simply buy it because it has 'Nintendo' stamped on it. Deliver the goods, and people will buy it. Deliver a console on par with 8 year old tech and no games, and you're going to bomb.

I keep asking posters this and no one has answered- how would a more expensive, no easier to develop for console fix the issues that Wii U had at launch?

On the upside, Reggie appears to have lost a lot of weight in that falling-down-the-hill video. Good for him.

Yeah, that's why I as a fanboy want Nintendo to fail tremendously this gen.
I'm not worried they'll go third party, because they won't, but if they fail hard enough Iwata and Reggie will finally be kicked out and some fresher blood might be taken in - moving Nintendo a tiny bit closer towards a more sensible business model.

Durante

I keep asking posters this and no one has answered- how would a more expensive, no easier to develop for console fix the issues that Wii U had at launch?
Well, for one, at least all the late ports it received at launch would have been clearly superior to their PS3/360 versions. That would generate some positivity with core console gamers.

Also, when you are developing a fixed target, a more powerful system always makes things easier than a less powerful one.

schuelma

Well, for one, at least all the late ports it received at launch would have been clearly superior to their PS3/360 versions. That would generate some positivity with core console gamers.

Let's be honest- that would have not made one bit of difference in sales. Come on.

AOC83

Banned

A more powerful console without bottlenecks is easier to develop for (assuming it´s not some PS3 style clusterfuck).

Ushojax

The thing I don't get is, why release a console a year in advance if you have no games for it.

But there are games for it. I suppose Nintendo just overestimate the demand for another NSMB game. The Wii U version is a fantastic game but it's not something that's going to sell the Wii U. For all it's bells and whistles, NSMBWii offers a very similar experience.

They need a game that is only possible on Wii U.

No, it's really not that hard to read. WiiU with four new releases in January sold 73% of what the Vita sold with zero new releases.

That says all.
That a system with 10-11 months of userbase sold more games than a system with 1-2 months of userbase tells us jack by itself.
Vire said:
Last time they had a failed console, they recycled it into their most successful console. EDIT: In the end, GameCube+Wii was a bigger success than NES+SNES.

Foffy

Banned
How was Gamecube's early sales compared to this? I know it ended up with 22 million units or so, but what was it at, at this point?

To what I can grasp, the Wii U's launch was the second best selling console launch in history, only beaten by Wii. It was after that holiday market that the system fell into a sales coma, essentially. Also, to use the Gamecube comparison, it actually took Sony a few years to have a higher climb than the GC did. I think Wii U already had more momentum at launch than PS3 did.

It's just gone to waste because there's no fucking software.

schuelma

I honestly don't know that, and neither do you. I could certainly imagine e.g. its version of COD selling somewhat better that way.

So if the framerate would have been better on CoD and Batman the Wii U would have sold better worldwide?

schuelma

A more powerful console without bottlenecks is easier to develop for (assuming it´s not some PS3 style clusterfuck).

And again how would that have improved launch sales?

Durante

So if the framerate would have been better on CoD and Batman the Wii U would have sold better worldwide?
Yes. Maybe 5 systems more, maybe 50000. At least it would have changed the way the hardware is perceived and represented on gaming sites.

And hey, if the difference was large enough it could have made it harder for third parties to port their previously exclusive titles to PS3/360!

AniHawk

But there are games for it. I suppose Nintendo just overestimate the demand for another NSMB game. The Wii U version is a fantastic game but it's not something that's going to sell the Wii U. For all it's bells and whistles, NSMBWii offers a very similar experience.

They need a game that is only possible on Wii U.

a sonic game right at this point would have breathed a little life. sonic adventure 2 and sonic and the secret rings did that for the gamecube and wii respectively shortly after they launched. it seemed rayman legends was poised to take that spot, but ubisoft delayed it for reasons and here we are.

The idea isn't more expensive hardware, it's ending the pursuit of things like low power consumption (Current PS3/Xbox power consumption isn't that bad anyway) and expensive gimmicks in lieu of cutting edge technology. It's fine to have unique controls/input, but not at such an insane cost. The Wii U being so far and away the most expensive Nintendo console to date makes no sense.

In this particular case, the controller has become an albatross around the system's neck.

Vire

And again how would that have improved launch sales?

Having major third party games from THIS generation not even coming to the system is pretty poor.

(GTAV and Bioshock Infinite)

If those games came out on Wii U it would certainly help, but it wouldn't save it entirely...

I guarantee you, more people would have been interested in it though if it was something more powerful.

Nintendo took a solid head start and is screwing it all away due to personal incompetence as well as getting no help from a couple outside forces.

They're basically the Chicago Bears of the video game industry.

schuelma

Easier development could have allowed it to get more current-gen multiplatform announcements and releases, which would help with the perception of a lack of games on the system.

Ok. I'm personally very skeptical that 3rd parties would have put much more effort than they did.

Top Bottom