• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

I think it is only really bad in the UK, Everywhere else WiiU sales have began to pick up this last week, only marginally though.

When you say "everywhere" do you mean Europe? Because it's been trending down in NPDs and also every week in Japan.

Vire

When Nintendo decides to actually invest in a proper new I.P. with the Super Mario Galaxy team behind it, let me know. Until then, you guys can enjoy Steel Diver.

When people are talking about software Nintendo has produced, it is synonymous with Nintendo EAD

Your definitions are absolutely mental.

Pokemon is a Nintendo IP.

Metroid Prime is a Nintendo IP.

Super Smash Bros is a Nintendo IP.

Donkey Kong Country is a Nintendo IP.

Foffy

Banned

What MrNyarlathotep is asserting that Nintendo's IP do game from first, second, and third party developers. You're only looking at first party development teams despite a large portion of Nintendo's IPs being from non-first party studios. Pokemon and Kirby, to name two.

It looks like you're really looking for a niche amount of products Nintendo actually puts out, by implying only the internal first party stuff counts, which is why you're being called out on it. Pokemon is Nintendo's second best selling franchise, and that's not really done by any first party team in a frequent basis. That doesn't change the fact it is Nintendo's IP and people hold the developer of that series to be as much of 'Nintendo' as EAD Tokyo or Monolithsoft. You're coming off as supremely picky in what counts to you.

Curious; do you pay your own bills, or do you have parents covering that for you?

Launch 360 and PS3 are fucking expensive to run.

I got two desktops (one with a 700w PSU), a laptop, several big LCD TVs, and at one point had three 360s plugged in and running fairly often concurrently.

Energy bill hovers around $150, give or take the weather.

Average gamer games 2 hours a day. 300 watts 2 hours a day across a week is maybe an extra $50 on your energy bill for the entire year.

You´d have to pay me to play most of this garbage.

Then why do you comment in Nintendo threads? That's a big and varied list and if the majority of if is garbage to you wouldn't it make sense to spend your free time focusing on things that have value to you?

I was just going off this latest data

http://technologyhobbit.blogspot.com/2013/02/contrary-to-popular-belief-wii-u-is-not.html

not much to go on, but at least an indication of trending upward marginally.

Your first mistake was going to something called Technology Hobbit for sales data. Wii U sales are tending downward, and nothing he listed on his page actually shows the reverse to be true. Pay attention to actual numbers from the weekly Pal and MC lists, as well as next week's NPDs. You don't need a hobbit to tell you what's going on. It's all here.

Vire

Mine is significantly more than that in £s every quarter.

Or Nintendo IPs! apparently.

If you want to limit your definition to "first and second party" Nintendo products, by all means go for it. That hardly changes anything.

Again here is the original quote for posterity.

but they have created a tremendous amount of new IPs over the years. Miyamoto is even creating a new one as we speak for wiiu

Meaning that Nintendo themselves had a hand in the game's creation.

majik13

When Nintendo decides to actually invest in a proper new I.P. with the Super Mario Galaxy team behind it, let me know. Until then, you guys can enjoy Steel Diver.

that seems to be happening, so hopefully we will see you again soon

I believe he has stepped down as a general overseer of many projects and has gotten back into a more directors position.

though I wouldn't expect the game to be a huge core game, it could even just be an eshop game, but we will see.

******** are used for Europe and US in that there website.
Only good info is where we'd already expect - Japan.

Lets not shit things up. The site is clear where that data is from.

I was just going off this latest data

http://technologyhobbit.blogspot.com/2013/02/contrary-to-popular-belief-wii-u-is-not.html

not much to go on, but at least an indication of trending upward marginally.

Every figure on that list which had increased sales for the most recent week was denoted with an asterisk to indicate that it's from an unreliable source. The only actual number for the week came from Japan, which had another week of decreased sales. I don't know if I'd recommend continuing to consult that site.

Vire

that seems to be happening, so hopefully we will see you again soon

I believe he has stepped down as a general overseer of many projects and has gotten back into a more directors position.

though I wouldn't expect the game to be a huge core game, it could even just be an eshop game, but we will see.

I don't care if it's an e-shop game, I'd love to see what Shiggy is cooking.

If what he said he's working on ever amounts to anything, It definitely would be a valuable asset in Nintendo's arsenal.

If you want to limit your definition to "first and second party" Nintendo products, by all means go for it. That hardly changes anything.

Well it removes your claim that most of that list "aren't nintendo IPs" for starters.

PROTIP:
When you need to apply special filters to discount data sets that don't support your hypothesis, your hypothesis is automatically wrong.

Again here is the original quote for posterity.

Meaning that Nintendo themselves had a hand in the game's creation.

You should know that they have EAD producers and designers working on pretty much everything they put out.

Vire

Well it removes your claim that most of that list "aren't nintendo IPs" for starters.

PROTIP:
When you need to apply special filters to discount data sets that don't support your hypothesis, your hypothesis is automatically wrong.

Which is exactly what you are doing! :lol

Well you see, Nintendo has made a lot of new I.P.s! Like this third party game the P-100!

Compile a list of just first and second party games Nintendo has put out, and you will see there is very scant new franchises in the past 10 years.

majik13

Your first mistake was going to something called Technology Hobbit for sales data. Wii U sales are tending downward, and nothing he listed on his page actually shows the reverse to be true. Pay attention to actual numbers from the weekly Pal and MC lists, as well as next week's NPDs. You don't need a hobbit to tell you what's going on. It's all here.

not sure what the MC list is. and looking at the last week for each region, US, and Europe are up, Japan is slightly down, and Other is incomplete. Not sure what indicates HW is going down? Do you have better data for this period?

Neo Child

Banned
really wish nintendo would go third party. i mean, theres literally no downsides.

would rather play nintendo games on an xbox 360 anyway, always online friend chat (not to mention loads more online users) , custom soundtracks etc.

not sure what the MC list is. and looking at the last week for each region, US, and Europe are up, Japan is slightly down, and Other is incomplete. Not sure what indicates HW is going down? Do you have better data for this period?

They're up only if you discount that the sources of that information are unreliable.

Vire

really wish nintendo would go third party. i mean, theres literally no downsides.

would rather play nintendo games on an xbox 360 anyway, always online friend chat (not to mention loads more online users) , custom soundtracks etc.

There are downsides though. Limited competition in the marketplace equals complacency between monopolies.

It isn't necessarily good for the consumer.

Snakeyes

GameCube didn't make Nintendo go third party, so don't see why Wii U would if it met the same fate.

Nintendo should give Wii U a GameCube lifespan though and release a console in 2016/7 to compete with the PS4/Xbox.

At that point they could potentially build a system that leapfrogs the upcoming gen and only eat a small loss at launch, provided they don't waste money on another expensive gimmick.

Basically what the Wii's successor should have been in the first place.

Pociask

I don't get why you say nobody gives a shit about their utility bills then.
If YOU did you'd have more money to spend on things that aren't bills.

More long term, the increasing level of fucked that the planet is at ecologically is going to result in legislative controls over electrical devices power consumption, not just relying on consumer personal responsibility (or lack thereof).
There are already proposals and debates about this in the EU right now.

Saying investing in low power draw and efficiency doesn't matter to anyone is selfish and idiotic.

I'd say it's idiotic to design a video game console around a feature that rates of so little importance to people that buy video game consoles that you don't even advertise low power draw as a feature.

Turn off the lights in the rooms you're not in. There, you just saved the Earth enough to play a better Wii U. Feel better?

Which is exactly what you are doing! :lol

Well you see, Nintendo has made a lot of new I.P.s! Like this third party game the P-100!

Compile a list of just first and second party games Nintendo has put out, and you will see there is very scant new franchises in the past 10 years.

I've never said P-100 is "a Nintendo game". I've said Pokemon is.

Why don't you go through that huge list posted above and remove all third party games from it? There's what, 3 or 4 in there?

Turn off the lights in the rooms you're not in. There, you just saved the Earth enough to play a better Wii U. Feel better?

image.php

To reiterate my point;
YOU not finding a feature worthwhile does not mean a feature isn't worthwhile.

There ARE going to be increasing legislative efforts as to powerdraw on home electronics. You don't need to be Gyro Gearloose to see that one coming

Neo Child

Banned
There are downsides though. Limited competition in the marketplace equals complacency between monopolies.

It isn't necessarily good for the consumer.

would be good for me. id get to play next gen mario galaxy on a better controller & friend notifications and jumping straight into online whatever-multiplayer-games-nintendo-does.

i literally only like nintendo consoles for nintendo games. if they were on 360 then i wouldnt have to buy another console and dick around with more cables and shit

Your trusted source is using a banned site. You need new sources. MC is media create, btw. How in the heck can he track weekly US Wii U sales when no one else can? That's another sign that the site you're going to is full of shite.

nope, just because it might not be games you are not really interested in, doesn't mean they are not new IPs. These are all games published or created by Nintendo.

Nintendo Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
GiFTPiA
Donkey Konga
Battalion Wars
Geist
Chibi-Robo!
Odama

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow
Common sense of people power TV
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Horse Racing Creating Derby
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection
Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

tumblr_mhuy5furLo1s5o3aso2_400.gif

Are you serious? When people say new IP's they mean new core IP's made by nintendo's first party. This list just justifies how pathetic their new IP list is. I mean this is the company that created so many new amazing IPs, from Mario,Zelda, Metroid, F-zero,Animal Crossing etc. and yet in the past TEN YEARS the only worthwhile new IP franchise that one can add to the likes I previously mentioned is Pikmin and Xenoblade.

Anyone with common sense can see that this list is filled with shovelware to make it seem long and substantial.

I mean do you think we are stupid? Do you honestly consider this to be a new nintendo IP of which the core gamers and fans have wanted? Do you honestly think that anyone will take this list seriously when you have such games like this:

Flingsmash_cover.png

Nintendo rely to heavily on their franchises and thats not to say they should abandon them, because to be honest they are iconic and in some cases bloddy fantastic. Is it so hard to keep your usual franchises but also try and make some new ones?

majik13

tumblr_mhuy5furLo1s5o3aso2_400.gif

Are you serious? When people say new IP's they mean new core IP's made by nintendo's first party. This list just justifies how pathetic their new IP list is. I mean this is the company that created so many new amazing IPs, from Mario,Zelda, Metroid, F-zero,Animal Crossing etc. and yet in the past TEN YEARS the only worthwhile new IP franchise that one can add to the likes I previously mentioned is Pikmin and Xenoblade.

Anyone with common sense can see that this list is filled with shovelware to make it seem long and substantial.

I mean do you think we are stupid? Do you honestly consider this to be a new nintendo IP of which the core gamers and fans have wanted? Do you honestly think that anyone will take this list seriously when you have such games like this:

Flingsmash_cover.png

Nintendo rely to heavily on their franchises and thats not to say they should abandon them, because to be honest they are iconic and in some cases bloddy fantastic. Is it so hard to keep your usual franchises but also try and make some new ones?

just read the first line in the quote again, and then read the rest of the thread.

How about you tell people what actually counts as a Nintendo game, because Xenoblade was definitely not made in Kyoto. Give us a clear definition so we can end this discussion.

I tend to be fairly critical of Nintendo, but I also tend to disagree with folks that think Nintendo suffers from lack of innovation in new IPs. These are turbulent times. With the cost of games development, it's hardly a surprise that companies would rather stick with proven franchises than gamble on something brand new. And furthermore, it's not as if Nintendo lacks diversity in their library in terms of what they can offer. Maybe some series seem a little stale in some fans' eyes, but you could just as easily suggest that they make a game in one of their neglected franchises. Though I wouldn't be opposed to it, I don't think Nintendo's problem is taht EAD needs to make an exciting, fresh new non-Mario/Zelda title.

majik13

Your trusted source is using a banned site. You need new sources. MC is media create, btw. How in the heck can he track weekly US Wii U sales when no one else can? That's another sign that the site you're going to is full of shite.

I never said he was a trusted source, just a user on another board. I believe he has been pretty accurate on previous updates. and he designate that the the data is incomplete or unreliable at this time. So yeah we will have to wait for more accurate data.

Are you serious? When people say new IP's they mean new core IP's made by nintendo's first party

Oh, okay, its reinvent the meaning of words day on GAF.
You guys are awesome posters with an excellent grasp of critical thinking skills then.

EDIT:
Markets aside, that does not defeat the point that a device that runs at approximately 150 watts (like the 360 does) will not significant increase your power bill.

The 360S and PS3 Slim both use more than twice the power the WiiU does under load.. The launch versions are even more than that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Personally it was Panorama View that made me guffaw out loud. Image Viewers are now new intellectual property gamers should be excited about.

Its early days yet, but I hope the "its eco-friendly!" argument as to why the WiiU hardware is so lacking doesnt crop up too often with how absolutely ridiculous it is. Clearly Nintendo engineers got a little too obsessed with one angle to the cost of way too much. A bigger box, beefier specs would have at least improved obviously advertiseable game graphics and perhaps made the darn thing a little easier to just plop and drop ports onto.

This is probably the wrong thread; but I'll vent. I wish some of the top sales gaffers would band together and form a site for game charts and sales. Cause its fucking annoying looking for info and getting that shithole of a site floating to the top of google every single time.

AOC83

Banned
What's the problem? He doesn't like the same games you do?

I couldn't give two shits about most of that list either. Luigi's Mansion was cool though.

Absolutely,. And Luigis Mansion is definitely not among the games i was talking about.

Derrick01

Banned
Are the mods asleep? This isn't even thinly veiled.

What's wrong with that? I was going to say something similar.

Besides as it's been pointed out just about everything in that list is missing the point. People want big Mario/Zelda-level new IPs from Nintendo.

BlackJace

What's the problem? He doesn't like the same games you do?

I couldn't give two shits about most of that list either. Luigi's Mansion was cool though.

What's wrong with that? I was going to say something similar.

Besides as it's been pointed out just about everything in that list is missing the point. People want big Mario/Zelda-level new IPs from Nintendo.

A simple "those don't interest me" would've sufficed. What he said was tactless and unnecessary.

Vire

Here is an edited list of actual games Nintendo has made through first and second party in the past 10 years.

nope, just because it might not be games you are not really interested in, doesn't mean they are not new IPs. These are all games published or created by Nintendo.

Nintendo Wii
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow (Not released in U.S. Market)
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku (Not released in U.S. Market)
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii-Ware (Sure I'll give you that since I don't feel like looking up each one)

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U
Nintendo Land
X

Nintendo 3DS
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

Phew, sorry I'm exhausted thinking about all those amazing games. *rolls eyes*

Let's be real with each other, this is pretty poor.

Xenoblade, Pushmo are probably the two best things on the list.

Top Bottom