• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Vire

What's wrong with that? I was going to say something similar.

Besides as it's been pointed out just about everything in that list is missing the point. People want big Mario/Zelda-level new IPs from Nintendo.

Ding ding ding.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
On the subject of new IP's, I've often said Nintendo should have adopted the "thematic franchise" approach so that theyre still making these Zelda Dungeon games and Metroid Shooters but with entirely different skins and worlds each time. Okami isn't anywhere near a better game than the top Zelda's, but it felt a lot more interesting because I wasn't retracing steps I made 20 years ago in a different dimension or graphical style but exploring an all new world as an all new and pretty different character.

Theyre also stuck in a catch 22 as other than perhaps the next big 3D Mario I am so utterly sick of the spin-offs its unreal but then theyre all that sell to the mass-market (but for how long, what is a mans "I have a whole fucking shelf of MarioKart boxes" limit).

Hopefully Retro are making something entirely new rather than being trapped in the workhouse of eternal old franchise re-paints.

Its early days yet, but I hope the "its eco-friendly!" argument as to why the WiiU hardware is so lacking doesnt crop up too often with how absolutely ridiculous it is. Clearly Nintendo engineers got a little too obsessed with one angle to the cost of way too much.

I'm not using "it's eco-friendly!" as an 'excuse' for anything related to the technical prowess of the WiiU, although you do love talking about how weak it is so much I can see why that's all you can think about it.

I stated that saying "nobody cares" about power efficiency is untrue; Japan and the EU are both investigating the electrical cost of home electronics at a legislative level.

Any company involved in hardware manufacture doing due diligence would be aware of this, and as part of basic risk assessment would seek to avoid the likelihood of fines or injunctions in products being brought to market with expected life cycles that would coincide with any such legislature.

That list is pure garbage. You list Xenoblade but leave out Soma Bringer. I could go on, but it's probably pointless.

Apparently the DS didn't exist too

It's simply unnecessary. You have been banned before so its up to mod discretion.

It may be lacking in tact as you noted above, but in terms of what's unnecessary, I think the same could apply to needless calls for moderation. A simple "I think you're being a little harsh here" would have worked in place of "are there no mods here?"

Vire

And yet you leave in Line Attack Heroes and Steel Diver.

Steel Diver is a first party title... so yeah. Line Attack Heroes I've never heard of so I wasn't going to argue it.

DS games ceased being relevant for a long time so it doesn't really bear mentioning on the list.

Pociask

To reiterate my point;
YOU not finding a feature worthwhile does not mean a feature isn't worthwhile.

There ARE going to be increasing legislative efforts as to powerdraw on home electronics. You don't need to be Gyro Gearloose to see that one coming

And to reiterate my point, which I thought I made clearly, NINTENDO ITSELF IS NOT ADVERTISING THE LOW POWER DRAW OF THE CONSOLE. They are doing dub-step ads that show how U will play Next (with 2 screens!). I didn't mention what I found worthwhile, I just pointed out what Nintendo itself thinks is worthwhile to advertise.

And because any coming legislative efforts are not going to retroactively make home electronics illegal, who cares what is coming down the pipeline? Nintendo's job is to make a video game console that is appealing to consumers, today. They designed a console instead to use a tiny amount of electricity. Maybe the 0 ratings they keep getting from Greenpeace or whatever that environmental group was stung them (and yes, I know why they got poor ratings).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I stated that saying "nobody cares" about power efficiency is untrue; Japan and the EU are both investigating the electrical cost of home electronics at a legislative level.

Any company involved in hardware manufacture doing due diligence would be aware of this, and as part of basic risk assessment would seek to avoid the likelihood of fines or injunctions in products being brought to market with expected life cycles that would coincide with any such legislature.

Lets not pretend we live in a world where the EU is suddenly going to pass legislation that is going to fine Sony and MS for not just the PS4 and 720 but also the 360 and PS3 because they didn't predict such an INJUNCTIONS AGAINST ELECTRONICS outcome. Lets not do that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I agree that last gen Nintendo did not make enough of an effort to develop new, high profile core oriented IP's.

I also think it is folly to complain about this gen when this gen is 2 months old and we have already seen one first party game that looks pretty great (X) and another funded game that looks incredibly impressive (Wonderful 101).

Steel Diver is a first party title... so yeah. Line Attack Heroes I've never heard of so I wasn't going to argue it.

DS games ceased being relevant for a long time so it doesn't really bear mentioning on the list.

I'll ask again, what exactly does count as a Nintendo title? You can't just pick out random titles because you like them or whatever.

Vire

Keep on moving those goalposts

You really want to tell me that 2005 is recent? Even if you include the DS games it isn't impressive at all. Go ahead and slap the DS games back on, I really don't give a shit.

Missing the point entirely as Derrick said.

I'll ask again, what exactly does count as a Nintendo title? You can't just pick out random titles because you like them or whatever.
It isn't random... I included all first (Nintendo produced) and second party games (Nintendo owned companies like Monolith and Intelligent Systems).

Lets not pretend we live in a world where the EU is suddenly going to pass legislation that is going to fine Sony and MS for not just the PS4 and 720 but also the 360 and PS3 because they didn't predict such an INJUNCTIONS AGAINST ELECTRONICS outcome. Lets not do that.

An injunction stopping 360 or PS3 sales in 3 years time for non compliance with legislature means fuck all to MS or Sony.
In 3 years time they'll be able to produce 22nm super duper slims that meet any requirements, if they are still putting products into the channel.

An injunction on new tech that cannot be reengineered into a more efficient design at a cost efficient die shrink does matter.

EDIT:
You really want to tell me that 2005 is recent? Even if you include the DS games it isn't impressive at all.

Sorry, when you said "the last 10 years" I thought that's what you meant.
I forgot it was "reinvent the meanings of words day" for you.

Re: Are there any new IPs? This is one of those conversations that will cease to go anywhere so long as people continue to talk past one another. Either side has a point depending on what precisely you're talking about. When people argue for or against Nintendo's ability to innovate new IP, I think either side can be considered correct, but we have to get on the same page. Clearly Vire is talking about Nintendo putting a high-profile team and a big budget to create a new IP. Citing stuff like Steel Diver doesn't really address that concern, nor does one actual example of something like Xenoblade completely invalidate the point.

However, you can't cite just that specific criteria and ignore that they are innovating IP in areas that you're less interested if you're trying to make the case that they aren't innovating new IP at all.

Oh, okay, its reinvent the meaning of words day on GAF.
You guys are awesome posters with an excellent grasp of critical thinking skills then.

EDIT:

The 360S and PS3 Slim both use more than twice the power the WiiU does under load.. The launch versions are even more than that.

Yes because the people on here clamouring for new Nintendo IPs simply cannot wait to play such wonderful games like Panorama View, Cooking Guide: cant decide what to eat? and Fossil Fighters. These games are truly fan favourites and I have no doubt that nintendo will make them into successful franchises that people will associate with Nintendo.

Ok lets be serious. Use some common sense man. People are not going to say a new nintendo core Ip everytime but it should be pretty obvious what they are getting at.
I mean it is clear why people do not consider these as new IP's:

Kinect%20Sports.jpg

but do consider these as new IP's:

Yes you can be pedantic and say well thats the dictionary definition of an IP. In that case my response would be you are being ignorant to what the people really want.

Are the mods asleep? This isn't even thinly veiled.

What exactly is the problem here? Can you not handle other people's opinions albeit a slightly exaggerated one?

In fact I actually agree with him.

You would have to pay me to play shit like this:

SmokyDave

If they're wringing their hands over games consoles the 800w power supply in my PC's gonna make 'em shit blood.

Foffy

Banned
You really want to tell me that 2005 is recent? Even if you include the DS games it isn't impressive at all.

You never said from 2005 onwards. You trimmed that list and mentioned it was of the last decade, and you chose to remove stuff that was first party and made within that period regardless, only to come up with excuses for such omissions. You keep coming up with alternating points and arguments to your claim that really, honestly look like you're trying to twist what your point is in the first place.

qq more

You really want to tell me that 2005 is recent?

"Here is an edited list of actual games Nintendo has made through first and second party in the past 10 years."

GREAT ARGUMENT

I don't even care about the IP argument itself but I really don't get why you decide to exclude the DS, which is not even a decade old.

Vire

Any reasonable person using common sense would realize over half the list is complete nonsense.

Panaroma View? Like what.

You really want to tell me that 2005 is recent? Even if you include the DS games it isn't impressive at all. Go ahead and slap the DS games back on, I really don't give a shit.

Missing the point entirely as Derrick said.

It isn't random... I included all first (Nintendo produced) and second party games (Nintendo owned companies like Monolith and Intelligent Systems).

But it IS random. Fluidity was made by Curve Studios and Soma Bringer was made by Monolith. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

If they're wringing their hands over games consoles the 800w power supply in my PC's gonna make 'em shit blood.

Why do you think intel and AMD are both putting such a high emphasis into low power draw CPUs on their roadmaps? It's not JUST the auxiliary benefits of battery life for mobile devices.

I'd also suggest - based on still unconfirmed rumours - that both Ms and Sony are also concerned about power draw, because the leaked specs for both consoles amount to multiple low power 'mobile' chips instead of the more traditional type.

Any reasonable person using common sense

The ironing is delicious

javac

The way I see it, most of Nintendo's main games are fundamentally different. Zelda 1 plays different to Zelda 2 which plays different to ocarina which even majora's switches things up. Wind waker plays different to twilight princess which plays different to the motion controlled skyward sword.

Just like 64, sunshine and galaxy all play different. Or super metroid and prime.

What Nintendo does and creates a concept (such as galaxy) and then apply the Mario (or whichever IP) paint onto it. A lot of Nintendo's games play the same, but a lot of them mechanically are different apart from the aesthetics. Just because it says Mario doesn't always mmea its same old same old.

Vire

Nintendo Wii
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow (Not released in U.S. Market)
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku (Not released in U.S. Market)
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U
Nintendo Land
X

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

Nintendo DS
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Kappa Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Here you go guys! Sorry for offending everyone by taking 8 year old games off.

The list is still crap.

It's simply unnecessary. You have been banned before so its up to mod discretion.

If it was in a Nintendo rah-rah thread, he'd probably be banned. Otherwise he's just stating his opinion. 'Garbage' is a bit harsh, but there sure is a ton of dogshit (dammit, now I did it) on that list. But if we look at MS and Sony's lists, it would probably be full of crap too. We all want Nintendo to be more ambitious. I'm sick of them remaking all their old games. Hurray, Zelda being released again on 3DS! And now we get yet another old Zelda game coming to Wii U. Fuck that. Stop being so fucking lazy.

qq more

Here you go guys! Sorry for offending everyone by taking them off.

The list is still crap.

I'm not offended at all. I was just really baffled that you decided the DS was irrelevant for no real reason in the first place.

And yes, I actually agree that Nintendo needs to make huge new IPs. There isn't enough of them these days :/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm sick of them remaking all their old games. Hurray, Zelda being released again on 3DS! And now we get yet another old Zelda game coming to Wii U. Fuck that. Stop being so fucking lazy.

Come on. They announced a HD remake of a game while explicitly confirming they are hard at work on a new Zelda title. You are going a bit overboard.

Vire

Just so you know "there should be more of something" is not the same as "there is none of something".

This is why people don't just invent the meanings of words themselves.
So ideas can be clearly communicated.

Just don't know when to quit aye? <3

I won't argue about the quality of the list, but you still have not made it clear what counts as a Nintendo game and what doesn't.

First party (Games produced internally from Nintendo) and second party games (Games made by Nintendo Owned companies like Monolith and Intelligent Systems). In the past 10 years...

It's not hard first and second party games that are relevant in this discussion (games that don't exceed over 10 years old).

Foffy

Banned
Here you go guys! Sorry for offending everyone by taking 8 year old games off.

The list is still crap.

I don't think anyone is offended you took those titles off. It's just you look rather desperate in trying to convey the point you wanted to make that you keep twisting stuff to make your point. It's why you were called out in the first place.

Wat.

Unless you consider Wii Music a new exciting franchise from Nintendo...

The last new note worthy character based I.P. Nintendo did was Pikmin. That was 12 years ago.

You never once claimed exclusively you were in reference to just first party makings, which resulted in a list of various Nintendo IPs, and that's when you started getting picky about things. 'From' Nintendo can easily mean it's coming from them, which is precisely the case in owning IP. It's theirs, they own it, and there are franchises they own that they've let non-first party studios work on.

If you reworded what you said, to refer to just first party endeavours, and name the studios therein, I'm sure such a list wouldn't have come your way. Instead, you implied Nintendo as a company hasn't released an IP that's worthy since Pikmin, and that is factually untrue. How you went about it made it only look like you were in fact moving goal posts to keep your originating claim, which again, in reference to Nintendo releasing IPs, is not correct. Nobody is particularly up in arms about what you would personally feel I would guess, it's just the point you were making was expressed rather poorly, which led to the dogging you were getting about it. Your retorts didn't help anyway at all in return, of course, because it only made that situation worse and made what people were getting to you about more clear and apparent. :p

In reference to feeling that Nintendo's first party teams have not given us exciting new IPs in the last few years would be correct. Saying Nintendo has not released such IPs in the last few years as a company would not be. Do you get what I'm implying? Your original claim was more of the latter, NOT the former, which is why people picked at it.

javac

I guess the difference is, Nintendo's been in the business for decades and have had the virtue of having rememberable, relevant and loved IP that they can and do have the ability to keep on using them. And it's not like they are all the same. Sunshine to galaxy is, like a galaxy apart in mechanics and controls. I'm sure if sony and MS had such IP they would have also done the same thing and if Nintendo ever sold any of their IP, the two would fight over it and 'milk' them too, no?

BlackJace

It may be lacking in tact as you noted above, but in terms of what's unnecessary, I think the same could apply to needless calls for moderation. A simple "I think you're being a little harsh here" would have worked in place of "are there no mods here?"

Fair enough.

Not 1 of my bans has come from criticizing a game, no matter how harshly I phrased it. You have to troll pretty hard to get banned for anything game related.

Half of what I've said to him stems from my previous assessments of his posts. It's pretty clear what he wants to bring to Nintendo threads.

Cookie18

This is depressing but in all honesty there isn't anything to buy. Since buying my Wii U I haven't bought a single game that has come out post launch. I honestly can't think of any that have come out since I bought it. I have it for Monster Hunter though so I can't say I am surprised by this, I knew what I was getting in to.

I'd say this is worse than the first few months of the 3DS, at least we had Zelda to look forward to from Nintendo then.

Also coming off the back of the Vita launch where there was a steady run of games over the first few months combined with the strong launch it's just all the more disappointing.

royalan

nope, just because it might not be games you are not really interested in, doesn't mean they are not new IPs. These are all games published or created by Nintendo.

Nintendo Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
GiFTPiA
Donkey Konga
Battalion Wars
Geist
Chibi-Robo!
Odama

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow
Common sense of people power TV
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Horse Racing Creating Derby
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection
Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

This list is freaking pointless, and it gets annoying when people constantly copy/paste it when people make an increasingly valid point about Nintendo's IP.

I think it was obvious that he was referring to big budget, Character driven, gamer-minded, AAA IP that are focused on gathering the very market Nintendo claims to be targeting now. Yeah, I had to do a lot of qualifying there, but it's a valid point. The successors to the Mario/Zelda/Metroid throne; Nintendo needs THOSE kinds of new IP - not more low budget, niche crud that not even THEY put much stock into (as evidenced by the lack of promo and poor and/or delayed localization most of those games listed got).

That's why I hope that whatever Retro is working on is fresh, BIG, gamer-focused, and doesn't have even a WHIFF of the Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule...unless you guys really think that another round of [Proven Nintendo Franchise X] or fitness software will get 3rd Parties to take a chance with their big IP.

Vire

This list is freaking pointless, and it gets annoying when people constantly copy/paste it when people make an increasingly valid point about Nintendo's IP.

I think it was obvious that he was referring to big budget, Character driven, gamer-minded, AAA IP that are focused on gathering the very market Nintendo claims to be targeting now. Yeah, I had to do a lot of qualifying there, but it's a valid point. The successors to the Mario/Zelda/Metroid throne; Nintendo needs THOSE kinds of new IP - not more low budget, niche crud that not even THEY put much stock into (as evidenced by the lack of promo and poor and/or delayed localization most of those games listed got).

That's why I hope that whatever Retro is working on, it's fresh, BIG, gamer-focused, and doesn't have even a WHIFF of the Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule...unless you guys really think that another round of [Proven Nintendo Franchise X] or fitness software will get 3rd Parties to take a chance with their big IP.
Apparently, you have to talk very slowly around these parts. It's pretty obvious what I was saying.

Thanks though. :)

They never made games like that before and I doubt they'll ever start.

Top Bottom