• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343’s Kiki Wolfkill: We’ve Had Growing Pains over the Years as a Studio, Now We’re Excited for What’s Coming to the Halo IP

CyberPanda

Banned
Reboot Develop Blue 2019 recently came and went in Dubrovnik, Croatia, and many of the best and brightest minds of the games industry were in attendance to share new technology, announcements, and hopes for the future of the industry. Wccftech was there through yours truly, and we picked the brains of some of the most important people in the industry.

One of those brains belonged to Kiki Wolfkill from 343 Industries, Studio Head now leading Halo’s transmedia efforts (previously, she’s been credited as Executive Producer for Halo 4 and Halo Master Chief Collection). Halo is more than just a video game franchise and with the upcoming TV series set to air on Showtime, we couldn’t resist asking Kiki about what it’s like taking Halo to new universes, capturing new audiences, and of course, crafting the highly anticipated show (which now has the actor that’ll play Master Chief).

Below is our full interview with Kiki, where she takes us through Halo’s future beyond video games – though, that’s not to say we didn’t ask about Halo Infinite while we were there…

Hi there, Kiki, and thank you for being here with us. How do you organize all of your transmedia efforts across the Halo universe? How do you keep it all in mind and make sure you roll it out at a sensible pace?

I think it starts with a deliberate plan that at some point falls apart, inevitably. But yeah, I mean, I think it comes from a couple of different places. I may have mentioned this. One is, you know, the games are temporal releases, right? And so we’ve built around those game experiences and the timing of those game experiences. And sometimes it’s hard because we actually don’t know the timing.

I think there was a point at which we got a little paralyzed with, well, what if this comes out at the same time as that and it finally got to the point where it’s like, we should be building the right things. And you know, what a great problem to have if these two big things are done at the same time. And if that happens, we’ll figure it out.

But so far, it really has been about what are the right experiences, to lead up to a game or to follow up from a game. Because sometimes, we find our audience has great energy around a character or a moment or setting, it’s like, well, maybe we should build on that. Right? It has given us the feedback that that’s a place in our universe that’s particularly interesting. Sometimes it is just stories we want to tell, right? And stories that we’re excited about. And then it becomes what’s the right medium for those stories? Is it the game or is it something else? And who is the right audience to get to? You know, because when we think about these experiences, is it about engaging the fans that we already have? Is it about expanding that fan base a little bit and trying to get to new and different audiences, and that affects timing, as well.

And sometimes it’s, do we engage fans of the universe who maybe aren’t playing the game anymore but who are still fans and still a big part of our ecosystem. And so, in an ideal world, we’re building this very deliberate roadmap, going into and coming out of a game, the reality is, a lot of it is driven by what story we want to tell when and what audience we’re focused on.

Yeah, absolutely. When it comes to all these different methods of delivery, is it tempting to like do big crossovers or do you prefer to make each effort distinct?

Yeah, we kind of do both. Often it’s a unique story. For instance, we’ve released a couple of novels now focused on sort of the young adult audience really. The Halo universe is filled with adventure and interesting characters. And, you know, the idea that sci-fi is a genre where you want to explore.

And so in those instances, it was really, how do we create these stories that are engaging for that sort of audience different from our very hardcore sci-fi, like, if you think about the Greg Bear trilogy of stories. And so, you know, those cases, they’re standalone stories that have adjacency see to the game. So the Forerunner trilogy, with Greg Bear (the author of the novels), very deep sci-fi, but spoke about the Forerunners and had a lot of themes and back story that was interesting, relative to the story we told in Halo 4, right, so not necessarily a direct connection, but something where we were kind of going back to the forerunner with Halo 4. And so how do we give some deeper background there for the fans who want it.

Whereas again, if I go back to those young adult novels, they are these – while there’s some crossover, they are unique stories for that audience and really focused on the adventure of the universe.

And so I feel lucky that we have the scale of the universe where we can tell different kinds of stories in different places, and they can be connected or not. And I think it really just comes down to, again, audience. And is it important for us to connect with the stories in an ideal world or telling this great standalone story that has connections that deep, you know, hardcore fans, recognize and love? And we always want to provide a nod toward those hardcore fans. And some are very deliberate.

Is there anything you can share with us about the Halo TV series? Because I know for a fact that a lot of our readers want to know.

Yeah, nothing I could share except to say that, you know, we are actively working on it, actively working on the creative process, actively working on the production. It’s incredibly exciting for us because it just feels like we have great collaboration and momentum. And, you know, there have been times during the show when it’s all been focused on the business side of it and contracts, negotiations, all of that. It feels like we’re beyond that stage now and frankly, in the far more gratifying part of the process, which is the creative one.

Yeah, absolutely. I imagine sticking to a strict canon is difficult when you do have a transmedia franchise to maintain. Are there any examples like, tweaking or retconning existing canon that you can tell me about?

Yeah, I mean, I think retconning is a pretty normal part of any sort of universe building. When I think about the TV show, you know, an example that Frank O’ Connor (my creative partner on the show), and I… We talked a lot about Game of Thrones, right? I read all of the books before the show came out. They were extremely faithful to the book very early on but, you know, even within season one they had some pretty strong deviations. And I remember watching that, I would be momentarily jarred by the fact that they were changing how something had read in the book, but then very quickly understood why, right, and all of that they’re very smart. And all of those cases, I feel like they made a decision to change the story for a really good reason. I’m like, wow, that was an amazing scene, I completely get why they made that change.

And so I feel like that’s the framework that we think about. As we think about the show, how do we make sure that any sort of change that they feel we have to make is made for the right reasons? And that’s tough. I don’t know if you always know that until it’s done.

And I think for us, that’s why I think we may end up considering it sort of a branch of the canon, because we want to acknowledge that we’ve deviated and also wanted to be clear why.

And then making those changes not disrespect the core canon. I think we’re still sort of figuring out what that means and what that was like. Does that make sense?

Definitely. One thing I was wondering is that Master Chief has never been a silent protagonist, but he’s been quite the man of few words.

Yes, absolutely.

Has it ever been really difficult to characterize characters like Master Chief (and some of his other co-stars) in mediums which don’t really allow for the strong silent type so much?

Yeah, I mean, I think that was one of the interesting challenges going into the TV series, especially, you know, as we do these boot camps for anyone coming on to the show. So all of the department heads and the network and marketing, we’ve done a lot of these to really express sort of what the DNA of Halo and his end of each of the characters in the relationships to each other. And it was sort of the first challenges. You know, if we want to have a dramatic story around the Master Chief around John, we have to be able to have him communicate more.

But how do we do that and still keep that stoicism, right? And it’s been sort of that sense of control from him. And so that’s how we think about it. Right? If you hear him more, how does it not feel out of character or untrue of who he is? And that’s just really a dialogue challenge.

Yeah, that makes sense. Another question I can imagine it’s pretty difficult. is John going to have significant screen time in the upcoming TV show?

Oh, he’s definitely a big part of this series, yes. I’m thinking because I’m trying to remember if we haven’t mentioned that before, but I believe Showtime mentioned it.

Are there going to be tie-ins to other Halo media, like Halo Infinite?

I don’t know that there’s a lot to say on that right now. You know, right now, what we’re focused on is making sure Halo Infinite is as great as it can be. And making sure the Halo TV show is as great as can be, kind of back to my point of when we try to tie them personally, we ended up having to make compromises on either side, something would change in the game, right? And then we try and change it in, you know, Halo Nightfall as an example, like at some point, they have to be able to have their own independence to be the best they can be. And so we think a lot about what are the right loose connections that allow for both to move in the direction they need to but also feel like they have no need for each other. Absolutely.

That makes more sense. Is there a lot of collaboration between teams working on different Halo media?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It’s hard work, it’s hard for us to manage, especially when different teams are really heads-down on what they’re doing. But now there’s a lot of cross-pollination and a lot of creative conversation. And at the very least, we will make sure to have discussions just so we can be aware on each side of changes that are happening. And then we have a franchise team who are sort of the shepherds and protectors of canon who work across all the projects. So there’s always a common thread of knowledge of what’s going on with all the projects. And so we all are aware of the rest of the franchise as well.

It’s good stuff. On TV show. Is it going to be like, more based in space? I always liked seeing Earth, but we don’t see much of it in the franchise, outside of ODST. Can we expect to see Earth in the series?

We aren’t talking about setting too much yet.

Is there anything else that you feel like Halo fans should know?

I think as a studio, you know, we’ve kind of gone through our own growing pains over the years. And I think we’re all really energized with the things we’re doing with the Master Chief Collection. And bringing that on the PC and sort of really moving into a more of a service model with how we deliver content and updates with MCC and really, for the first time, moving on to PC very deliberately. And then at the same time, with Infinite and the TV show, this idea of really shepherding in this new generation of Halo is really exciting for us. Like it just feels like we have all these really great pieces that we’re incredibly excited about moving forward at the same time. So that’s crazy. As developers and also just Halo fans, we are really excited about the next few years.

Excellent. Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me today, it’s been very enlightening.

ph33rknot

Banned
Well this actually gives me confidence, it says that Kiki was the Executive Producer on Halo 4 which was actually a pretty solid Halo single player experience. Given their knowledge with multiplayer now that they fixed in 5 over 4, and her being the studio head now this could actually be something really positive for Infinite.
i hope so because i hated the single player lol

Mista

Banned
Halo will always be the best FPS competitive game to me. 4 was utter shit and 5 bounced back to the roots. This makes me optimistic about Infinite as long as we don’t have abilities and other unnecessary trash. Good to read that they’re doing better now

Graciaus

Talk is cheap. 3 shit games in a row for one of the most popular series. MCC will be remembered forever for the worst launch of all time. 4 and 5s campaigns are garbage. Opinions are mixed on multi-player.

If they fail again Microsoft should give the series to another studio.

angelic

Banned
Just stop developing a bloated, dying franchise that no one gives a fuck about any more. The story is unsavable, the multiplayer irrelevant next to the free to play season pass model, just leave it in the past. It was the game that launched the OG xbox, then XBlive, and solidified the 360 with part 3. Reach was a beautiful late gen swansong, tying up the franchise perfectly. EVERYTHING in the Halo universe since has been increasingly desperate corporate sponsored fanfic, and now theyre investing 500 million on recapturing something that has gone forever. They're such fucking idiots it blows my mind, only doing it all to keep themselves in employment.

Just stop developing a bloated, dying franchise that no one gives a fuck about any more. The story is unsavable, the multiplayer irrelevant next to the free to play season pass model, just leave it in the past. It was the game that launched the OG xbox, then XBlive, and solidified the 360 with part 3. Reach was a beautiful late gen swansong, tying up the franchise perfectly. EVERYTHING in the Halo universe since has been increasingly desperate corporate sponsored fanfic, and now theyre investing 500 million on recapturing something that has gone forever. They're such fucking idiots it blows my mind, only doing it all to keep themselves in employment.
Well, they keep making money, so they're not idiots nor can I recommend them to leave it alone.

Otherwise, I agree with your sentiment. Halo is a sad fun house mirror version of what it could have been, and they had no idea what to do with the franchise. I'm curious how Infinite will turn out.

I read somewhere here that 343 purposefully hired people who weren't into Halo or something. Can anyone corroborate?

angelic

Banned
Well, they keep making money, so they're not idiots nor can I recommend them to leave it alone.

Otherwise, I agree with your sentiment. Halo is a sad fun house mirror version of what it could have been, and they had no idea what to do with the franchise. I'm curious how Infinite will turn out.

I read somewhere here that 343 purposefully hired people who weren't into Halo or something. Can anyone corroborate?

Are they really making money though? I dont think they are. I think MS as a whole obviously do, but I don't imagine Halo's books balance very well. Five hundred million on development, say another hundred million on marketing / production (conservative estimate), do the sales (after the retail cut etc) really turn over an actual, tangible profit, especially after the staff are all paid, bonuses paid, tax paid and so on.

I genuinely think they're just making them to provide activity and employment to some people, and because it's the only genuinely iconic character and franchise MS have created in 20 years. The actual game timeline ended after 3, with a nice prequel to finish up. Just as an example how much 343 can't do Halo properly, even the Warthog driving sound is wrong now. Infinite will be another focus grouped, soulless production, comittee developed, full of diverse races and sexualities for no reason, Locke will be removed as per fan demand, and we'll have another wandering, idiotic story with blu ray and novel spin offs. And all of it will be as far away from the purity of Halo 1 as possible.

DanielsM

Banned
I very much enjoyed Halo CE (although that is a huge copy of Aliens/Ringworld) back in the day, other than that and Reach, I have no idea WTH is going on in that story. Its a complete mess, kind of like the interview. Furthermore, who at Microsoft thinks the Halo universe is really all that popular - that ship basically sailed about 2007-2009 when the movie fell apart.

Somethings that stuck out me as part of the interview.

And so I feel lucky that we have the scale of the universe where we can tell different kinds of stories in different places, and they can be connected or not.

Well, anyone can do that with any story, the problem is... it has to be good.

We talked a lot about Game of Thrones, right?...............And so I feel like that’s the framework that we think about. As we think about the show, how do we make sure that any sort of change that they feel we have to make is made for the right reasons? And that’s tough.

That's part of the problem, the underlining content of GoT is good, they have fans - they had to change a few things to fit into TV series format. You don't have good original material, you basically have the first game with some good stuff, that's about it.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It’s hard work, it’s hard for us to manage, especially when different teams are really heads-down on what they’re doing.

How about you start with one piece first, instead 5 things... when it actually makes some kind sense than move on to the next piece. If you can't make one game make sense, how in the hell are you going to do it over multiple medias?

sort of really moving into a more of a service model

Yeah, more shitty content "services", you can't manage what you have maybe you should consider simplifying what you are doing - what about making ONE great single player game first?

Are they really making money though? I dont think they are. I think MS as a whole obviously do, but I don't imagine Halo's books balance very well. Five hundred million on development, say another hundred million on marketing / production (conservative estimate), do the sales (after the retail cut etc) really turn over an actual, tangible profit, especially after the staff are all paid, bonuses paid, tax paid and so on.

I genuinely think they're just making them to provide activity and employment to some people, and because it's the only genuinely iconic character and franchise MS have created in 20 years. The actual game timeline ended after 3, with a nice prequel to finish up. Just as an example how much 343 can't do Halo properly, even the Warthog driving sound is wrong now. Infinite will be another focus grouped, soulless production, comittee developed, full of diverse races and sexualities for no reason, Locke will be removed as per fan demand, and we'll have another wandering, idiotic story with blu ray and novel spin offs. And all of it will be as far away from the purity of Halo 1 as possible.
I also fear the soullessness will nlt go away in Infinite, but Halo is making as mich money as they want to. Stinkles said H5 was the most profitable one so far, probs due to rec packs.

The $500 figure is a rumor that I doubt the validity of. Even if true, that is the budget Destiny 1 had. But that doesn't go to one game only. A lot of the budget is new engine and groundwork laid out for the future, so the next installment will cost a fraction of that. I knoe they are many employees, but they sell books and merch and now tv shows, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're investing their earnings back into the franchise, but I am sure that is because they want to grow; not because they struggle making money. There is a big difference. They could stick to only a core team and only make the tried and true formula and still be more succesful than most games out there, easily.

tkscz

Kiki Wolfkill cannot be a real name. That has legal name change all over it. Also, never been into Halo but this interview reads mostly like PR bullshit, mostly focusing on the Halo TV series that I didn't even know was a thing.

They have the ability to put out a good game. The pieces didnt quite fall right for halo 4 or halo 5. I loved 4's campaign and the multiplayer would have been perfect without all the abilities and random perks and drops. Halo 5's campaign was a big step backwards, but 343 can and should easily learn from that debacle. Halo 5's multiplayer was really good. Some of the best since halo before reach. I just think it was too complex for its own good. Needing a controller with paddles to play well is a bad idea.

Typical PR talk and talk is very cheap.
Lol why are you even in this thread? Big halo fan im sure... :pie_eyeroll: go stink up some other thread.

Last edited:
Can you provide a link for this?

This isn't exactly it (i'm lazy), I believe it was a stinkles tweet. But what this means is that the halo franchise went from $4,6 billion to $5 billion made within a week due to H5. And unlike previous halos, the rec packs give a continuous stream of revenue.

DanielsM

Banned

This isn't exactly it (i'm lazy), I believe it was a stinkles tweet. But what this means is that the halo franchise went from $4,6 billion to $5 billion made within a week due to H5. And unlike previous halos, the rec packs give a continuous stream of revenue.

Gotacha. :messenger_peace:

Yeah, I would be surprised, if they ever give profit numbers of individual games, they might from time to time give revenue numbers, and microsoft is generally avoiding all that including unit sales. I'm not saying Halo doesn't generate some positive cash flow, but I would be very surprised if its anything like the the Halo 1/2/3 days, literally those games were made with like 40-70 people, 343 is up to 450 people... thats millions of sales just to get to break even on a 3-6 year development cycle including pre-production.

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm just hoping it's a mix of Halo Reach and Halo 3, with the emotionally charged story of Halo 4. Halo Reach for its avatar and character customization and Halo 4 for its deep personal story with Cortona. 343i better not fuck this up. I enjoyed Halo 4, but Halo 5 was a disaster, it didn't feel fun at all. I regret buying this game full price. I got 4 missions into it before I stopped and went back to playing Destiny. Halo 5 had these random packs, so they didn't have meaning behind each unlock and spartan armor didn't look like armor anymore. Wanted to get an armor well one had to pull out their credit card and hope for the best to unlock it. It was sad, it was like they wanted players to gamble. I was done with that shit. Halo Reach had amazing customization. This is 343i last chance. I gave up on Bungie lately because of their shitty time sensitive rewards and limited opportunities to acquire content from seasons and events. I have a full-time job and I'm also a completionist. I like taking the time to play the game at my own time and unlock content. I play to enjoy not to frustrate and feel disappointed that I lost the opportunity to unlock something, then they go and retire it altogether. Games as a service can go fuck off. I will heavily invest my money in games that I feel that is quality work.

Don't fuck this up 343i. Just because you are excited doesn't mean we are. We were excited about Halo 5 then it became a fucking disappointment.

Gotacha. :messenger_peace:

Yeah, I would be surprised, if they ever give profit numbers of individual games, they might from time to time give revenue numbers, and microsoft is generally avoiding all that including unit sales. I'm not saying Halo doesn't generate some positive cash flow, but I would be very surprised if its anything like the the Halo 1/2/3 days, literally those games were made with like 40-70 people, 343 is up to 450 people... thats millions of sales just to get to break even on a 3-6 year development cycle including pre-production.
Yeah, Halo 3 was Halo at its peak. All we know is that H5 had sold over 5 million units a number of years ago. But they make up a lot of that through microtransactions, which is why everyone is doing it. It should be noted that many of those 450 employees aren't working on mainline series. I am in no way in the know, but I have read on gaf some time back that "only" like 200 or so are actually working on the mainline titles. They have merch, a big media team, spin-off games like spartan strike/assault and fireteam, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure MS's wet and actual dream is for Halo to be like Star Wars. Where it isn't just one thing, it is a brand that spans many media. We are getting a TV show. I have no idea how well the other divisions are doing, though.

Xenon

Halo Transmedia... Sounds like she was on the team that thought spreading out halo 5's story across different media was a good idea. These people are creating a demand cm for evolution that just isn't there. Make a good game with a complete story and call it a day.

Then if you want to add extras to it after you have a complete story, fine. But if you expect people to hunt for a narrative over different media, you crazy.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
People complain the interview is about the TV show, when the one they are interviewing was involved with Halo:Nightfall and Halo:Fall of Reach. I don't think she is in anyway related to Halo Infinite. 343i has already talked a lot about Halo Infinite and has said that it would be revealed in E3.

Apart from that, there are a few livestreams and I don't think you will get anything else, since the game has not yet been properly revealed.
Ske7ch is Halo Infinite's PR guy, if anyone is interested, he has also talked a lot in the Halo Waypoint forums and Halo Reddit.
You can ask him anything you want.

Last edited:

Romulus

My faith was lost when 343 took over. I know they put up a fight but the transition wasn't great. It really had the stepdad or substitute teacher feeling about it.

I think people love hating on 343. Halo 5 multiplayer is one of the best playing shooters out there, perfect no, but no game.is. Halo 1-3 feel like you are moving in molasses in comparison and guns and weapons feel better than they ever have in h5. 343 has made great strides in those areas.

The campaign needs improvement in terms of variety, story, and intensity, but they deserve some love imo.

I think people love hating on 343. Halo 5 multiplayer is one of the best playing shooters out there, perfect no, but no game.is. Halo 1-3 feel like you are moving in molasses in comparison and guns and weapons feel better than they ever have in h5. 343 has made great strides in those areas.

The campaign needs improvement in terms of variety, story, and intensity, but they deserve some love imo.
Halo is one of my favorite games, but the BR in Halo 3 was frustrating.

EDMIX

This.

My biggest issue with MS is they put too many eggs in one basket too much.

Let it go. (starts to sing) lol

Nothing wrong with Halo in terms of a few entries for the fans, but dear god we don't need 1 team making Halo FOR LIFE! That is just too much and MS needs to trust the team to make a new IP and let Halo rest for a bit. Halo is as bad as it is right now likely because that team is running out of ideas and maybe its not a good idea to have so much invested in an IP like this. Scale back the founding, lower the team, lesson the releases and make a new IP until something changes.

You don't see Sony spending Horizon Zero Dawn money on Ratchet remake. That is an IP from the PS2 days that was one of Sony's big AAA titles, right now? Its getting support here and there but its clear Sony has moved on and its releases are clearly not the same type of funding, marketing etc. Let it go, leave it as a once in a while release and let the damn team breath.

MS with a smarter release could have had, new IP this gen instead of Halo 5, have this next title be.....Halo 5. Instead Of Gears 4, new IP, then instead of gears 5 this year, Gears 4.

This Has the team fresh, not bogged down with the same damn ideas over and over and the install base GROWING as it brings in new consumers.

Next gen would have XB fans foaming at the mouth for 343 New IP sequel, Coalition new IP sequel etc. MS now have to not only sell the new XB, but if they DO make new IPs then, they have a uphill battle now selling them based on a small track record of making new AAA IP. They should have started sooner and I see no reason to keep 2 teams LOCKED making such IP. I got no issue with Turn 10 doing Forza as its a static concept, but we don't need so many Halos ,Gears etc.

Tesseract

Banned
use halo 3 mp as a springboard for what's good, incorporate some of halo 5's mobility (vaulting and sprinting and sliding are all good)

Last edited:

FireFly

This.

My biggest issue with MS is they put too many eggs in one basket too much.

Let it go. (starts to sing) lol

Nothing wrong with Halo in terms of a few entries for the fans, but dear god we don't need 1 team making Halo FOR LIFE! That is just too much and MS needs to trust the team to make a new IP and let Halo rest for a bit. Halo is as bad as it is right now likely because that team is running out of ideas and maybe its not a good idea to have so much invested in an IP like this. Scale back the founding, lower the team, lesson the releases and make a new IP until something changes.

You don't see Sony spending Horizon Zero Dawn money on Ratchet remake. That is an IP from the PS2 days that was one of Sony's big AAA titles, right now? Its getting support here and there but its clear Sony has moved on and its releases are clearly not the same type of funding, marketing etc. Let it go, leave it as a once in a while release and let the damn team breath.

MS with a smarter release could have had, new IP this gen instead of Halo 5, have this next title be.....Halo 5. Instead Of Gears 4, new IP, then instead of gears 5 this year, Gears 4.

This Has the team fresh, not bogged down with the same damn ideas over and over and the install base GROWING as it brings in new consumers.

Next gen would have XB fans foaming at the mouth for 343 New IP sequel, Coalition new IP sequel etc. MS now have to not only sell the new XB, but if they DO make new IPs then, they have a uphill battle now selling them based on a small track record of making new AAA IP. They should have started sooner and I see no reason to keep 2 teams LOCKED making such IP. I got no issue with Turn 10 doing Forza as its a static concept, but we don't need so many Halos ,Gears etc.
Microsoft have made a huge investment in new IP with all the studios they have aquired. But if there is still an audience for Halo products, why shouldn't they continue to cater to that audience? The arguments in this thread seem to be of the form "I didn't like Halo 5, therefore it can't have generated profit for Microsoft, and therefore any future games won't be able to generate profit for Microsoft".

But we have no idea what revenue Halo 5 generated, or what the development costs were. We also have no idea what Halo Infinite is, and the only figure for the development cost is a rumour that even if correct gives no indication of what the money was spent on. And who is to say 343 can't learn from their mistakes and produce a decent single player experience? How many people thought Doom 2016 would be a worthy successor to the original after Doom 3, Rage, and then an aborted first attempt that looked like CoD with monsters?

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm so excited for MCC coming to PC, that the existence of this game is like a footnote to me. One day out of nowhere I will have realized Infinite has already been out for a month. I'll probably go "oh, how about that" and look at a few impressions. Most likely I will say "yeah, that's what I thought" and go about my day like the game never happened.

Simply, I don't trust them to do it right at all and they have a lot to prove. I wouldn't waste my hopes and mental space for this. Their PR bs doesn't deserve anyones attention.

sublimit

Banned
I'm sorry but anyone who believes PR crap like spending 500 million on development is very naive (to put it politely).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
What's your estimate then, and reason for them lying?
I can't give an estimate but keep in mind that AAA games usually spend half their budgets (maybe even more) on marketing. So if they have spend 500 million on development costs alone then that means that the overall costs will be around1 billion which is laughable to say the least. Maybe around the same budget as games like Destiny or Anthem?

As for why they are saying hot air like this? They obviously want to generate as much hype as possible before this E3.They know people have lost their trust on 343 and they want to get that trust and faith back. It's how MS's PR has been operating for the past 5 years or so with lots of big talk saying all the things that their fanboys want to hear.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The truth is Halo will go as far as 343/Microsoft carries them. The series was the best for back to back years in the 360 era, and maybe for next generation. Halo does more for Microsoft than any other game, and as far as I'm concerned its still the heart of the Xbox.

Top Bottom