• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Live Arcade Sales Stats

scarybore

C4Lukins said:
Galaga- 18,890

Wow, thats sold quite well so far considering how basic it is. Hold on, Frogger is up to 56,677!? Damn, must be easy money for these old ports. Can't wait to see what kind of numbers Street Fighter 2 could do providing it isn't a horrible port.

Thanks for the effort you guys are doing, kick ass thread.

XBLA =

gold-mine.gif

If people don't buy cool games like Wik, the landscape will probably turn into a dumping ground for boardgames and old arcade ports. :(

Here's hoping they keep pushing innovative titles and people latch on!

Twitchfactor said:
If people don't buy cool games like Wik, the landscape will probably turn into a dumping ground for boardgames and old arcade ports. :(

Here's hoping they keep pushing innovative titles and people latch on!

Get over Wik already, the demo wasn`t great. The best new titles (Geo wars, MBU and cloning clyde) have done well, so don`t worry.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Get over Wik already, the demo wasn`t great. The best new titles (Geo wars, MBU and cloning clyde) have done well, so don`t worry.

Nice attitude. :rollseyes:

I don't actually like Marble Blast or Cloning Clyde. Marble Blast IS NOT Marble Madness and Cloning Clyde is BORING.

"Get over it", indeed...

LakeEarth

Marble Blast is my fav XBLA game. Doing the last level under par was so challenging and rewarding, since I wanted to figure it out all on my own. I did use a faqs for those last couple of easter eggs though.

goldenpp72

Wik isn't that great, it's one of my least favorite 10 dollar games, and considering how complex the game is I imagine most didn't like it.

And im only missing 2 achievements for it, so I gave it a fair shake :p

GhaleonEB

Twitchfactor said:
Nice attitude. :rollseyes:

I don't actually like Marble Blast or Cloning Clyde. Marble Blast IS NOT Marble Madness and Cloning Clyde is BORING.

"Get over it", indeed...
The point is, those are three original titles that are doing really well. You said you wanted original titles to do well so that more would come, and they are. You may not like those three, but they will likely encourage more. Games like Castle Crashers and Small Arms are coming soon and look great. XBLA is still very early, but I'd call the results so far spectacular.

Somnia

Now when you guys are looking at the boards to see how many were sold... do the demo/trials also upload peoples scores? Just wanting to make sure these numbers arent inflated.

sangreal

Somnia said:
Now when you guys are looking at the boards to see how many were sold... do the demo/trials also upload peoples scores? Just wanting to make sure these numbers arent inflated.

No, the trials dont allow you to post scores

Last Hope

Glad someone did this investigation work. I have been wanting to do this as well.

I have Astropop. It was not worth $10.

I think Contra and Street Fighter 2 will sell very well. I will buy both of them for sure at their already stated price.

C4Lukins

I am out of town, and I will not be able to record numbers for this week. If someone could take down the total numbers for SF2, Galaga, and Cloning Clyde at some point late tonight, or early tomorrow morning, it would be a great help. I usually record numbers after midnight central time, so around then would be best for consistancy, but no worries.

thorns

Banned
some info about sf2:

August 4, 2006 - In just two days, Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting for the Xbox Live Arcade on the Xbox 360 has become the fastest selling downloadable title yet. Since its release on Wednesday August 2, it proves to a degree that the lures of cutting-edge graphics can't completely overpower the urge for retro, nostalgic gaming.

"We are elated by the tremendous response Xbox Live users have given Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting as players around the world vie to be on top of the game's numerous leaderboards," says Charles Bellfield, Capcom's VP of marketing. "It'll be exciting to see who ranks number one on Xbox Live Arcade after the first weekend of gamers playing the greatest arcade title in history."

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting joins other excellent XBLA titles like Cloning Clyde, Geometry Wars, and Joust. With Pac-Man coming next week, Texas Hold 'Em in the nebulous future, and classics like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the XBLA's future is certainly bright. In the age of high definition, it's interesting to see gaming's roots sharing the spotlight.

Mrbob

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Wik either. Astropop isn't bad for 10 bucks. PC version is 20 dollars at popcap's website.

I hope all the indy games are selling decently, which it seems like they are.

I'm glad MS is keeping a close eye on old arcade classics. They are cool, but I don't want the entire service to be dumped on with old arcade games.

binary

I'm enjoying the original titles more so far. I can stand playing a Frogger once in a while but I can't imagine buying a retro title every week. I'd played the games to death when I was a kid. Give me more Wik, Marble Blast Ultra and Cloning Clyde. :D

pr0cs

tegdf said:
as of a couple days ago Cloning Clyde had sold over 35,000

I wonder how many units sold would be considered OK to the developers? How many sold would be OK if it was a PC title?

Rhindle

pr0cs said:
I wonder how many units sold would be considered OK to the developers? How many sold would be OK if it was a PC title?
They probably need something in the 100K range to break even on something like Cloning Clyde or Marble Blast.

I don't think anyone's making a lot of money off XBLA right now, but it should be a pretty viable market after this Christmas.

Razoric

Banned
Rhindle said:
They probably need something in the 100K range to break even on something like Cloning Clyde or Marble Blast.

I don't think anyone's making a lot of money off XBLA right now, but it should be a pretty viable market after this Christmas.

not sure about that... they used a pre-built engine to make both games. i bet it didnt cost much to make those games, especially cloning clyde.

GhaleonEB

Razoric said:
not sure about that... they used a pre-built engine to make both games. i bet it didnt cost much to make those games, especially cloning clyde.
And I thought they put out Cloning Clyde beginning to end in ~8-9 months, with a pretty small staff.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
pr0cs said:

The thing to remember with Live Arcade is that there is no such thing as shelf life. For the entire time the 360 is available and new people are buying the machine they will have access to these titles. So even if the initial sales are low, over the 5 years or so of the 360's future life they may sell quite well.

Rhindle

GhaleonEB said:
And I thought they put out Cloning Clyde beginning to end in ~8-9 months, with a pretty small staff.
Even if the team was 10 people or less, you're still looking at a budget in the $500,000 range. On 100K sales at $10, they probably net about $600,000 after Microsoft takes its cut. So its something in that range.

Schafer's point about unlimited shelf life is a good one. They will make a profit on it eventually I'm sure.

I believe that the Marble Blast producer said that this is his fastest selling title out of the gate, ever (past titles being PC games).

LakeEarth

Rhindle said:

Well lets think it through. 800 points -> $10. 30% goes to Microsoft, and I'm guessing costs go there too, so each sale gives the developer $7 (likely too high but lets go with it). So with 35000 sales, that's nearly $250000. A 2D game with crude 3D models, 8-9 people working on it, for 3/4th of a year... probably haven't made their money back yet. The employee saleries alone would probably eat up that entire chunk of money. Plus paying for the new 360 arcade kits... its sad that these quick and easy games still cost so much money to make.

sangreal

most arcade developers don't pay for the dev kits at all

also, the budgets are more like $150-300k

Outpost Kaloki X sold "far better" than the PC version (and that was as of February) and you figure the PC version was probably slightly profitable to begin with

http://www.ninjabee.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=566#566

Cloning Clyde was in development for 1 year and was done mostly by one person but at its highest had 7 people workiing on it

Dev time was something like a year. Much of the work was done by one guy, John Nielson, but as the game progressed the team got a lot bigger. We added another programmer for about 6 months, and a third programmer at the very end. We had more people doing management things and PR. We had various testers off and on. A full-time level designer for a few months. A couple of artists that worked a few man-months. And John himself put insane amounts of time in, day and night + weekends. Much of the game was custom-built from scratch for Live Arcade, but we also brought over an engine John had been working on for many years, and we borrowed as necessary from Outpost Kaloki X for Live Arcade and used people from other teams at key points.

So, I'd say at peak it was maybe 6 or 7 people, and at minimum it was 1.

At this point, John and I still spend a considerable amount of time doing marketing and PR, keeping up on forums, etc. Very time consuming.

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showpost.php?p=101706&postcount=5

sangreal said:
Outpost Kaloki X sold "far better" than the PC version (and that was as of February) and you figure the PC version was probably slightly profitable to begin with

When you factor in the current small installed base of 360s, this is reason for much optimism about indie games on console download services.

thorns

Banned
C4Lukins said:
I am out of town, and I will not be able to record numbers for this week. If someone could take down the total numbers for SF2, Galaga, and Cloning Clyde at some point late tonight, or early tomorrow morning, it would be a great help. I usually record numbers after midnight central time, so around then would be best for consistancy, but no worries.

Galaga: 54235 (with 0 points)
Cloning Clyde: 41397 ( with 6100 points)
SF2 is harder to judge since you start with 1200 points and have to lose a lot of matches to get to the bottom.. the bottom on my friends list is 25808 with 944 points.. but I would say there are a lot of people who haven't done ranked matches and/or ranked below 944 points..

C4Lukins

A brief update on some of the newer games.

First Day Sales:

Pac Man- 22,307
Galaga- 18,890
Lumines- 12,793
Cloning Clyde- 8,500

First Week Sales:

Galaga- 45,000
Cloning Clyde- 27,870

Second Week Sales
Galaga- 11,013 (56,013 total)
Cloning Clyde- 9130 (37,000 total)

Third Week Sales
Cloning Clyde- 5412 (42,412 total)

Some interesting things
Geometry Wars just went over 200,000 total
Although Street Fighter 2 has no way of looking at how many people have played the single player game, over 50,000 different gold accounts have been used on its online multiplayer.

Sorry but these can't be accurate seeing as the Marble Blast Ultra guys were selling 30k a week through early 2006 according to their blog.

LakeEarth

Awesome stuff.

WhereSailors said:
Sorry but these can't be accurate seeing as the Marble Blast Ultra guys were selling 30k a week through early 2006 according to their blog.
It just came out early 2006 though, so chances are the first few weeks it was selling that much, since it seems to be the third highest selling XBLA game.

GreekWolf

Just wait'll Castle Crashers hits the Arcade. Sales through the roof.

Oh, and I figure Castlevania:SotN might sell a couple copies :lol

C4Lukins

WhereSailors said:

In my first post of the thread, and in many others, we have gone over the problems with this method. It is nothing but a very rough indicator of how particular titles are doing in relation to each other. I do not pretend that they are accurate, and this is just a fun little weekly hobby of mine.

WhereSailors said:
C4Lukins gave the correct answer, but if you look at the significant drop off of sales from first, to second, to third weeks, of other games, the number on the first page makes more sense.

I'm guessing a month after selling 30k in it's first week (if they did, I don't know), sales dropped to 3000 or less\week.

Geo Wars has probably been the only title with much staying power (sales wise).

How well do you think Mad Tracks will do?
What sales do you think it will compare to?

I'm might be making the game, but I'm clueless on how well it could perform!!
Cheers,
Denis @ loadinc.

"I listen to the community. Call me crazy!!"

DenisDenis said:
How well do you think Mad Tracks will do?
What sales do you think it will compare to?

I'm might be making the game, but I'm clueless on how well it could perform!!
Cheers,
Denis @ loadinc.

"I listen to the community. Call me crazy!!"
Well it certainly has a ton of potential. If only because it is the first offering in a genre that is almost universally loved. Of course it seems to have much more going for it. Looks great, Live play, mini games, etc. It needs to have some more pub, and a ballpark release date to get the hype train rolling, but all in good time I suppose.

I can easily see this as being THE XBLA title to have this fall (it is shipping this fall, right?!). That would obviously translate well for sales #s. How well? I think many of us are interested in that answer also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On one hand, you have an ever growing install base which will hopefully boom this coming holiday season. On the other hand you have full priced, AAA titles to contend with on the 360 (not to mention a swell of micro and "consumable" transactions), as well as two brand new consoles and their respective "microtransactions". All of which will be tugging at peoples wallets.

What, if any, differences do people think we will see going forwards, at least in the short term? Great XBLA games will continue to have high attach rates? Sales will go up obviously, but will attach rates come down? Price has by and large been a non-factor. Will that change? Will the "hit" to "miss" ratio go way up? No change. Everything will just scale up at the same rate, competition from within and from without, price be damned?

I apologize for somewhat using your post as a springboard, but I think it is worth bringing up the issue of potential cannibalism and content pricing as everyone shows up at the table for a piece of the pie starting this fall.

I suppose I'm just fearful that someone is going to get their hand caught in the cookie jar.

C4Lukins

Ok sorry about the delay on this. I will get last months numbers up hopefully later tonight.

A few notes. My 360 died, so I wasn't able to check the numbers at the end of last month like I usually do, so this will be a 6 week month.

On top of that, because my 360 died, my seperate accounts that I used for getting the low scores have all now reverted back to Trial Only games, and on a couple of those games I cannot access the leaderboards. I do not know if there is anyway to fix this or not. Because of just being really busy lately, I also have not been able to keep up with first day and first week sales for a lot of the games.

These numbers are from today.

Games I can Track

Astropop- 29,053
Bejeweled 2- 82,374
Cloning Clyde- 62,898
Dig Dug- 9,699
Feeding Frenzy- 67,852
Galaga- 84,190
Gauntlet- 108,428
Geometry Wars- 243,986
Jewel Quest- 31,596
Joust- 58,229
Marble Blast Ultra- 147,483
Mutant Storm Reloaded- 48,215
Outpost Kaloki X- 44,357
Pac-Man- 93,242
Robotron 2084- 35,379
Scramble- 16,312
Smash TV- 99,978
Time Pilot- 29,640
Uno- 219,899
Wik: Fable of Souls- 19,585
Zuma- 88,239

Games I need others to look up
Crystal Quest
Doom (Is at least over 63,000 right now)

Games where it is impossible to tell (These are games with multiplayer only online boards, or ones that the leaderboards have been reset).

Bankshot Billiards (At least 36,583, to many game modes to tell)
Frogger (Leaderboard reset, was over 80,000)
SF2 HF- (multiplayer only)
The Hardwood Games- (multiplayer only)

The Free Games (Games that are Free or were for a limited time)
Hexic HD- 734,105
Texas Hold Em- 286,160
Totem ball- 16,405

Lastly, the usual disclaimer. There are dozens of reasons why these numbers are not accurate, they are just for the purpose of my own personal amusement.

LakeEarth

When did Gauntlet get so popular? I could've sworn Smash TV has been ahead of it in the 'classics' race.

Checks : Its always been close. Still, Smash TV is way better than Gauntlet :D

Doom is currently above 65000 accounts.

This is still an awesome thread btw.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ash Sparrow said:
why are these numbers different from the my gamer card page?

Because my gamer card tracks everyone who has the game on their card, including people who have 0 points from downloading the demo.

C4Lukins

Ash Sparrow said:
why are these numbers different from the my gamer card page?

The gamer card pages also count demo downloads. This is based on the amount of people on the leaderboards.

Top Bottom