• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Power Brick is a Surge Protector

Mr Spliff

Google said:
I dont know which APC unit you're using, but im assuming its just a simple voltage regulator with a small battery?

Basically, its doing **** all.

its an APC Back-up UPS XS 900, 540 watts. i won't even try to pretend to know how this surge protect, voltage regulation, power conditioning, butter-on-my-balls type stuff works. All i know is that when the AC kicks in there are no problems and when i check the status of the unit on my PC, it's all good.

really, i just want to know if i'm better off or not plugging it into this. i feel better doing so, even if it's just psychological, but i'll plug it into the wall if it really is a problem (which i don't believe even though i'm ignorant on the subject matter).

Google said:
How is this at all relevant to the thread?

The warning is a sensible one, and is simply that, a warning.
It's relevant. They said to plug ti directly into the wall because it can cause problems if plugged into a surge protector.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zenith said:
pretty pathetic if a surge protector can kill a system.

A surge protector can kill it if it's plugged into another surge protector, which is the case with all surge protectors, which is why it is the standard for surge protectors, which you would have know if you would have read the thread instead of rushing in to troll it.

Zenith

Banned
Google said:
How is this at all relevant to the thread?

The warning is a sensible one, and is simply that, a warning.

except the OP has it as advice given to his friend by MS tech support when his 360 died.

Why cry, cry guy?

Google

Mr Spliff said:
its an APC Back-up UPS XS 900, 540 watts. i won't even try to pretend to know how this surge protect, voltage regulation, power conditioning, butter-on-my-balls type stuff works. All i know is that when the AC kicks in there are no problems and when i check the status of the unit on my PC, it's all good.

really, i just want to know if i'm better off or not plugging it into this. i feel better doing so, even if it's just psychological, but i'll plug it into the wall if it really is a problem (which i don't believe even though i'm ignorant on the subject matter).

The thing with this particular UPS is that its protects against over voltage, and under voltage.

I dont know where you live, but this can be pretty imperrative(sic) for specific equipment, and will totally keep your electrical equipment in better condition (you dont want to your PSU blowing up).

Yeah, I'd keep it plugged into this, just dont over do the watts. You've only got a 900VA UPS here, and Im assuming your PC and monitor are around the 650watts mark? You may want to to look into upgrading your UPS if its something you're concerned about.

Google

Zenith said:
except the OP has it as advice given to his friend by MS tech support when his 360 died.

Why cry, cry guy?

As the guy above you has said, its pretty ****ing normal advice not to daisy chain cheap electrical devices together.

Its a warning - nothing more, nothing less.

HokieJoe

Google said:
The thing with this particular UPS is that its protects against over voltage, and under voltage.

I dont know where you live, but this can be pretty imperrative(sic) for specific equipment, and will totally keep your electrical equipment in better condition (you dont want to your PSU blowing up).

Yeah, I'd keep it plugged into this, just dont over do the watts. You've only got a 900VA UPS here, and Im assuming your PC and monitor are around the 650watts mark? You may want to to look into upgrading your UPS if its something you're concerned about.

The power delivery to my house is pretty crappy. Ever since I added a UPS to my PC setup I've had no problems. Before adding the UPS, I had mysterious mainboard, memory, power supply, etc, failures.

I don't know if anyone realizes this but the 360 brick has had changes recently. The brick that came with my Elite uses a slightly different power cord (its 2 prong vs the old 3 prong), with the connection point on the brick being slightly different as well, though that may be just so people don't plug the old cord into a newer brick or vice versa...

Just thought I'd mention it here since I've never seen it mentioned ANYWHERE (not even those ol' detailed 360 Elite unboxing pages..). Not sure how much a changed cord can do, may be something internal changed as well.

Related? Maybe. Anyhow..

FightyF

Banned
CrushDance said:
It's relevant. They said to plug ti directly into the wall because it can cause problems if plugged into a surge protector.

You NEVER. NEVER. EVER. daisy chain surge protectors and have them hooked up to hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. NEVER.

EVER.

JUST DON'T.

DON'T DO IT CRUSHDANCE!

I mean, I can't believe you didn't know this!

What's wrong with the world today?! I can't believe things have gotten to this point.

DON'T DO IT. JUST DON'T!

page 6 of my manual says:

MSFT said:
Do not overload you wall outlet, extension cord, power strip, or other electrical receptacle. Confirm that they are rated to handle the total current (in amps [A]) drawn by the
Xbox 360 console (indicated on the power supply unit) and any other devices that are on the same circuit

wonder when they changed it?

Fight for Freeform said:
You NEVER. NEVER. EVER. daisy chain surge protectors and have them hooked up to hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. NEVER.

EVER.

JUST DON'T.

DON'T DO IT CRUSHDANCE!

I mean, I can't believe you didn't know this!

What's wrong with the world today?! I can't believe things have gotten to this point.

DON'T DO IT. JUST DON'T!
What are you on? Have you never been in elementary school where they say don't plug a SP into a SP?

That's not what I'm saying. You need to take this xbox loyalty stuff somewhere else.

I have a TV, DVD, GC all plugges into 1 SP and I've never had a problem.

Nowhere did I say that anyone should plug multiple SP into one. Kind of defeats the purpose.

What they are saying:

"Don't plug a 360 into a SP even if nothing else is connected to it"

What I'm saying:

"Plug your 360 and whatever else into 1 surge protector going into he wall."

Plugging a surge protector into a UPS to get additional outlets on the downstream side of the UPS is not accpetable. This will overload the UPS and cause excess wear on the internal battery.

I didn't say do a daisy chain.

Mr Spliff

Google said:

Thanks a lot man! For the record I'm averaging 400 watts of usage with everything turned on so i guess i'm in the clear. appreciate the feedback!

FightyF

Banned
CrushDance said:
What are you on? Have you never been in elementary school where they say don't plug a SP into a SP?

That's not what I'm saying. You need to take this xbox loyalty stuff somewhere else.

Start making sense, man.

I have a TV, DVD, GC all plugges into 1 SP and I've never had a problem.

Nowhere did I say that anyone should plug multiple SP into one. Kind of defeats the purpose.

But that's what Zenith was saying. And you agreed with it.

Again....NEVER!...EVER!! daisy chain your SPs!!

How many times do I have to say it, Crushdance?

Fight for Freeform said:
Start making sense, man.

But that's what Zenith was saying. And you agreed with it.

Again....NEVER!...EVER!! daisy chain your SPs!!

How many times do I have to say it, Crushdance?
Wtf are you on?

How is it daisy chaining if I have one SP and some electronics plugged into just that one Sp?

WTF man. Me and your definition of daisy chaining may be highly different lol. No offense intended but you're not making any sense and with your caps it seems like you're making it personal.

Especially with typing out my name in Caps.

/wtf.

Xeke

Banned
CrushDance said:
Wtf are you on?

How is it daisy chaining if I have one SP and some electronics plugged into just that one Sp?

WTF man. Me and your definition of daisy chaining may be highly different lol. No offense intended but you're not making any sense and with your caps it seems like you're making it personal.

Especially with typing out my name in Caps.

/wtf.

Haha...

Yeah...

Zenith said:

Why cry, cry guy?

urk said:
A surge protector can kill it if it's plugged into another surge protector, which is the case with all surge protectors, which is why it is the standard for surge protectors, which you would have know if you would have read the thread instead of rushing in to troll it.

The Mighty Schwein said:
I don't know if anyone realizes this but the 360 brick has had changes recently. The brick that came with my Elite uses a slightly different power cord (its 2 prong vs the old 3 prong), with the connection point on the brick being slightly different as well, though that may be just so people don't plug the old cord into a newer brick or vice versa...

Just thought I'd mention it here since I've never seen it mentioned ANYWHERE (not even those ol' detailed 360 Elite unboxing pages..). Not sure how much a changed cord can do, may be something internal changed as well.

Related? Maybe. Anyhow..

I noticed this too.

I just called the 1800 4MY XBOX and I asked a Microsoft agent if the power supply unit is a Surge Protector and she could not find any info on it. All she told me was to plug the power supply unit into a wall outlet. Plus I did not find anything about not plugging the 360 power supply unit into a Surge Protector in the instructions. I have had my 360, x box, PS2, NGC, DC plugged into the Surge Protector. I had my system for 5 months and I had no problems.

krzy123

This is just catering to the lowest common denominator, kind of like how MS now has a forced reboot for their windows updates.

Nothing to see here.

Quagm1r3

I'm using a power strip and I'm on my 2nd 360 with no problems whatsoever. Let's hope it stays that way...

And by the way...what the **** is MS thinking not making power strips work with the 360? Who the hell DOESNT use a powerstrip????

Top Bottom