• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

-PXG-

Sorry if this has been mentioned:

The old transfer kits DO work. No disc required.

Just plug the USB end into your new slim and the other end on your old HDD. Easy as pie. Transferred about 40 GBs of content in about 30 minutes. Game installs (don't matter, since you have to re-install your games anyway) and stuff like the iPod support patch won't transfer.

Lonestar said:
Looking at the deal, think I'm sitting at $245 trade value

3x wireless controllers
1x Wifi Dongle
1x 20 GB HD
1x Working Console

Still comes down to "how would I take the saves and purchases off my 60 GB HD, onto the 360 Slim, and get the $35 for it too"

Wonder what they'd give me for some broken Xbox's

GameStop isn't supposed to take broken consoles anymore. So if it's got the RROD or E74, you can't trade it in. And yes, the (should) check the system. All systems (again..should) be tested before being traded in.

Also, as long as you aren't a dick about it, or not too busy, you should be able to do your HDD transfer in store. I did.

ElNino

lachesis said:
Does this mean that it can only connect to 2.4ghz...? Shucks. ;) Oh well. I've been fine with g, so I guess g would have to do...
You could also try setting your router to use the 2.4ghz band for N instead of 5.8ghz. I've tested both on my router and I've found that 2.4ghz seems better at connecting through walls than 5.8ghz does.

-PXG- said:
14jvoyv.jpg

:D

Gonna hook it up in the morning. Might tonight and play a few rounds of Gears if I'm not too tired later.
LG VU what a piece of shit phone.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes guys, buy buy buy!

(So I can know the hardware is a-ok any buy it myself :p)

I'm waiting on the iPhone 4 too. I personally just can't jump in day 1 on anything anymore. Everything is so complex these days.

-PXG-

anotherworld said:
LG VU what a piece of shit phone.

I had one, I broke it. Got another and this one's battery is fucked up. My first one was perfectly fine. Gotta go back to Best Buy and get this shit sorted out. I got it yesterday, and have my receipt. No reason why they can't resolve it.

outsidah

I don't quite understand the idea of anyone camping for one of these. I get calling around to try to snatch one to have it ASAP, but camping?

Console has some nice touches, however I am really dissapointed by the 2.4GHz N rather than going with the dual the adapter offered. The glossy finish also isn't a favorite of mine but to each his own.

Has anyone heard when BB and the like will have them?

kazuo

OldJadedGamer said:
I've been running mine 1080p over VGA since the day they started supporting it years ago. HDMI isn't as crisp on my TV as VGA is.

Wow, that's... absolutely bizarre, to say the least.

I've been running my non-HDMI 360 over VGA and it looks like dog shit. Terrible. It's clearly because of the fact that it is an analog signal. Same result when I ran my PC to the TV. Looks like ass.

Recently picked up a DVI to HDMI cable so I could run my PC to the TV that way, and holy shit. That alone was enough to convince me to upgrade to the new XBox 360 model.

JohngPR

kazuo said:

I've been running my non-HDMI 360 over VGA and it looks like dog shit. Terrible. It's clearly because of the fact that it is an analog signal. Same result when I ran my PC to the TV. Looks like ass.

Recently picked up a DVI to HDMI cable so I could run my PC to the TV that way, and holy shit. That alone was enough to convince me to upgrade to the new XBox 360 model.

I run my current 360 via VGA as well. It was more out of necessity seeing as my 360 doesn't even have an HDMI port.

I'm going to try to trade my console in tomorrow for the new 360. I'm hoping I can get one. If so, this new 360 will most definitely be hooked up via HDMI. ;)

outsidah said:
I don't quite understand the idea of anyone camping for one of these. I get calling around to try to snatch one to have it ASAP, but camping?

Console has some nice touches, however I am really dissapointed by the 2.4GHz N rather than going with the dual the adapter offered. The glossy finish also isn't a favorite of mine but to each his own.

Has anyone heard when BB and the like will have them?

I think in the case of Gamestop it's because of the trade in deal. I talk my Gamestop manager today and she said pretty much there will probably be line of people in the morning and that they only going to get 4 in. What I am annoy is that you can't trade you stuff in and pre-order the system. I guess they afriad you might cancel your pre-order, still very dumb.

Hawk269

Want a Xbox 250S??? BEST BUY is your friend tomorrow (Friday).

Here is the deal...

I live in small town in Central California and walked into Best Buy today (Thursday) and asked about the new 360. 3 Employees all react and say not till July. I said, no, Gamestop is getting them tomorrow and 2 out 3 of them said it is street dated till July. I ask them to check the computer and they did not want too. I said that I work retail, I know there is no street date and that it was added to their website last night.

The guy looks it up on the BB website, finds the item number and calls it up on their in-store system and low and behold they all crap themselves as they note that is says it releases on Friday. On top of that this small Best Buy in this small town is geting 54 of them, so if my small town BB is getting 54, you can imagine some of the higher volume stores getting alot more.

So..in short, if your Gamestop is not getting more that a few and you are screwed, go to best buy as they seem to be getting the lions share of units.

kazuo said:

Nope, mine runs in 1080p greatness. It's not as colorful as HDMI 1080p but it's defiantly sharper. I've debated back and forth on what was more important to me and decided that I would take the clearer and sharper image of the VGA over the more colorful HDMI one.

Sounds like it could be a problem with your cable or the TV. Even running VGA from my 360 to my computer monitor makes it look really good.

kazuo

I'm also running my Xbox 360 @ 1080p via VGA. Was also running 1080p via VGA from my PC to the HDTV.

Both looked like ass. As I said in my previous post, got the DVI to HDMI cable for my PC and it made a humongous difference.

Colors AND sharpness are substantially better over the DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to the TV.

I've tried using the official MS VGA cable, a cheap Hong Kong VGA cable (horrible) and a Monster Cable VGA cable (best of the three). The 360 clearly looks better on HDMI.

The 360 looks marginally better on my computer monitor, but that's likely because my HDTV is 42" and the computer monitor is 24". Both are LCDs. (Samsung & Dell, respectively)

OldJadedGamer said:
Nope, mine runs in 1080p greatness. It's not as colorful as HDMI 1080p but it's defiantly sharper. I've debated back and forth on what was more important to me and decided that I would take the clearer and sharper image of the VGA over the more colorful HDMI one.

Sounds like it could be a problem with your cable or the TV. Even running VGA from my 360 to my computer monitor makes it look really good.

kazuo

Not necessarily true.

I have a friend who works at Best Buy and we checked all of the Best Buy stores in Northern California (Bay Area) and while every store has around 25-50 on order, none of them are actually in-transit.

They usually arrive on their regular shipments, which they don't get on weekends. Which means they won't have any until monday at the earliest, unless Best Buy decides to UPS 25-50 Xboxes (unlikely).

YMMV. Call the store and ask before you head out.

Hawk269 said:
Want a Xbox 250S??? BEST BUY is your friend tomorrow (Friday).

Here is the deal...

I live in small town in Central California and walked into Best Buy today (Thursday) and asked about the new 360. 3 Employees all react and say not till July. I said, no, Gamestop is getting them tomorrow and 2 out 3 of them said it is street dated till July. I ask them to check the computer and they did not want too. I said that I work retail, I know there is no street date and that it was added to their website last night.

The guy looks it up on the BB website, finds the item number and calls it up on their in-store system and low and behold they all crap themselves as they note that is says it releases on Friday. On top of that this small Best Buy in this small town is geting 54 of them, so if my small town BB is getting 54, you can imagine some of the higher volume stores getting alot more.

So..in short, if your Gamestop is not getting more that a few and you are screwed, go to best buy as they seem to be getting the lions share of units.

Gillian Seed said:
So does this have the Valhalla Chipset? I thought i read that it did, but some videos on Youtube are saying that it's still the Jasper.
The videos are wrong. Look at the anandtech article where they rip the machine to bits.

(Linked on the last page, or maybe the one before)

Psychotext said:
The videos are wrong. Look at the anandtech article where they rip the machine to bits.

(Linked on the last page, or maybe the one before)

O.K. Thanks. The PR guy in the Gamespot video stated that it is the most recent chip that they had been shipping in the Arcade Consoles.

FrankT

Gillian Seed said:
O.K. Thanks. The PR guy in the Gamespot video stated that it is the most recent chip that they had been shipping in the Arcade Consoles.

brotkasten said:

Tech sheet. 45nm with GPU and CPU on one chip is a brand new chipset. Previous chipset were not intergrated.

Zombie James said:

I'm going to assume for a second they totally messed up on the game mentioned. Anyhow very nice results.

MoxManiac

You guys think I should just save up for one of these? I posted a thread about this last night, about considering getting the 360 arcade at target for $130 + $30 gift card. (so $100) Getting a HDD and headset would add to the cost but would still be well below the $300 price of the slim...I don't care about wireless either, I have my consoles ethernet wired by choice.

I dunno, $100 for a brand new 360 seems to good to pass up. But these slims are pretty sexy.

-PXG-

Man, this thing truly is whisper quiet. I played Gears 1 both from the disc and from the HDD. I was really impressed with the results. I made sure to keep the TV volume low so I could attempt to hear the system (also don't want to wake up other people in my house).

MoxManiac said:
You guys think I should just save up for one of these? I posted a thread about this last night, about considering getting the 360 arcade at target for $130 + $30 gift card. (so $100) Getting a HDD and headset would add to the cost but would still be well below the $300 price of the slim...I don't care about wireless either, I have my consoles ethernet wired by choice.

I dunno, $100 for a brand new 360 seems to good to pass up. But these slims are pretty sexy.

If you don't need a 250 GB HDD or wireless, then the Slim ain't worth it. Unless you have an old 360 that you can trade in (plus a transfer kit) towards a Slim at GameStop (with their current 360 trade-in promo), then you'll be fine getting that Arcade at Target.

MoxManiac

-PXG- said:
If you don't need a 250 GB HDD or wireless, then the Slim ain't worth it. Unless you have an old 360 that you can trade in (plus a transfer kit) towards a Slim at GameStop (with their current 360 trade-in promo), then you'll be fine getting that Arcade at Target.

Nope, this will be my first entry into 360 hardware. I want a big enough HDD for an XBLA collection but I sure as hell don't need 250GB. Thanks.

Im really wanting to do this because my xbox has already RROD once two months ago, but has been okay since, so its only a matter of time (as unfortunately seems to be the case for all XBoxes). Im pretty certain its well past the warranty, so if Im going to have to drop $100 anyway for a refurb from MS, I may as well trade mine in with $100 and get a new one with a new warranty.

Sucks because Im in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, and you wouldn't think it, but based off of release events and video game deals that come up at various retailers, is the video game capital of the world. I have like 6 Gamestops within, no crap, like 10 minutes of where I live. All of them are reporting that they will sell them as they arrive and that if Im not there, randomly, when they come in, I pretty much have zero chance at one today.

One of them actually was setting up a wait-list, and as of yesterday morning, I was offered a slot at number #27. : /

First time posting on the game forum.  A lot of good info in this thread so far but one thing I didn’t see mentioned is the HDMI and Component connections are super close together.  Reason I mention this is that I use a wireless Turtle Beach head set so I have to use the component out for sound to the headset as well as the HDMI slot for the picture of course.  This is where the problem I had lies. I couldn’t get both the HDMI and Component dongle connected at the same time because there wasn’t enough space between each connection slot so I had to use the component cable Microsoft included but I had to modify it slightly.  For some reason they added a small extension to the component cable so that it covers the HDMI slot for whatever reason MS did this I don’t know.  I had to take a hack saw and cut the extension off so I had access to the HDMI slot and even then I had to take a razor blade to the HDMI cable and whittle away some of the rubber on the connecting end.  After all that it still is a super tight fit but I was finally able to get both in and everything is working OK.  If anyone needs pictures I’ll have to post them later.  At work at the moment.

As for the system itself it is super quiet.  “Whisper quiet” is how MS described it and they are dead on that assertion.  Even playing from the disc I was amazed literally coming from a system that sounded like a panzer tank with rusty ball bearings.  I used both Ethernet and Wi-Fi on my previous 360 but later changed strictly to Ethernet because mentally I felt it was faster but I have to say this wifi built in to “Slim” is very fast so far.  Played some CoD:MW2 last night and had no lag issues what so ever.  Matter of fact the first 3 games of Free for all I went 30-4, 30-6, & 30-6.  I honestly felt like I had an advantage for once.   Very pleased with the system so far.

I did run into one other item of note.  As I was transferring a game to the hard drive I changed HDMI channels to watch some TV while the transfer took place.  When I changed back to the HDMI input that has the 360 I noticed that it restarted the system.  Anyone ever experience that before? 

FrankT

TheApatheticOne said:
Im really wanting to do this because my xbox has already RROD once two months ago, but has been okay since, so its only a matter of time (as unfortunately seems to be the case for all XBoxes). Im pretty certain its well past the warranty, so if Im going to have to drop $100 anyway for a refurb from MS, I may as well trade mine in with $100 and get a new one with a new warranty.

Sucks because Im in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, and you wouldn't think it, but based off of release events and video game deals that come up at various retailers, is the video game capital of the world. I have like 6 Gamestops within, no crap, like 10 minutes of where I live. All of them are reporting that they will sell them as they arrive and that if Im not there, randomly, when they come in, I pretty much have zero chance at one today.

One of them actually was setting up a wait-list, and as of yesterday morning, I was offered a slot at number #27. : /

27 :lol Haha, not a chance. I'm in the suburbs of Birmingham and the local GS got 6 and the manager was grabbing one of them. And yea it was first come first serve there is well. No way to reserve it.

kazuo said:
I'm also running my Xbox 360 @ 1080p via VGA. Was also running 1080p via VGA from my PC to the HDTV.

Both looked like ass. As I said in my previous post, got the DVI to HDMI cable for my PC and it made a humongous difference.

Colors AND sharpness are substantially better over the DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to the TV.

I've tried using the official MS VGA cable, a cheap Hong Kong VGA cable (horrible) and a Monster Cable VGA cable (best of the three). The 360 clearly looks better on HDMI.

The 360 looks marginally better on my computer monitor, but that's likely because my HDTV is 42" and the computer monitor is 24". Both are LCDs. (Samsung & Dell, respectively)

I agree as well. HDMI provide a better overall image and video. With the 360 VGA cable, I had to do way too much tinkering to get the image to look decent. I think we have got to a point that using VGA to get the best image for consoles is a thing of the past.

Wiggum2007

Shadow of the Sun said:
First time posting on the game forum.  A lot of good info in this thread so far but one thing I didn’t see mentioned is the HDMI and Component connections are super close together.  Reason I mention this is that I use a wireless Turtle Beach head set so I have to use the component out for sound to the headset as well as the HDMI slot for the picture of course.  This is where the problem I had lies. I couldn’t get both the HDMI and Component dongle connected at the same time because there wasn’t enough space between each connection slot so I had to use the component cable Microsoft included but I had to modify it slightly.  For some reason they added a small extension to the component cable so that it covers the HDMI slot for whatever reason MS did this I don’t know.  I had to take a hack saw and cut the extension off so I had access to the HDMI slot and even then I had to take a razor blade to the HDMI cable and whittle away some of the rubber on the connecting end.  After all that it still is a super tight fit but I was finally able to get both in and everything is working OK.  If anyone needs pictures I’ll have to post them later.  At work at the moment.

Aww what the hell, I was planning on using HDMI with Component connections for audio too.

What I want to know about this thing is the speed of the wifi adapter. is it 300Mbps or 150Mbps? Has anybody checked the rates on their router (ala tomato firmware or whatever) to verify their connection speed?

Top Bottom