• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
While its inevitable that someone was going to have a slim not show up for the dance, I personally cant help but let a little fear creep into the back of my mind as my slim is XBox 360 number six.

Hopefully its isolated cases and doesn't turn widespread. So far, mine has been a dream, everything (if only mentally) is moving faster, installing faster, the wireless has been perfect (and I had the wireless N adapter for the previous Elite), and its been nothing but perfect so far.

Knock on wood. :D

expy

Banned
DeathNote said:
the top is intake, the side is vent, what's the bottom?
That seems a little backwards don't you think? The side vents will vent the hot air, which will rise, up towards the intake?

JoseSensa

Neo Member
firehawk12 said:
Well, shit. :lol

I'm the weirdo with stereo speakers and a 5.1 headset, so it's just easier to turn the speakers off on my TV when I don't want sound rather than go into the settings and mess with that stuff.

Still, I guess that's a rather minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

why not connect your digital audio stuff to your TV's optical out port. I saw someone suggest this here on NeoGaf to get around the OG 360's lack of optical port. The TV just passes through the digital audio. I do this with my Astro mixamp. One note, you may need to set your TV to audio pass through. In my case, all I had to do was to tell the TV to use external speakers.

th3dude

JoseSensa said:
why not connect your digital audio stuff to your TV's optical out port. I saw someone suggest this here on NeoGaf to get around the OG 360's lack of optical port. The TV just passes through the digital audio. I do this with my Astro mixamp. One note, you may need to set your TV to audio pass through. In my case, all I had to do was to tell the TV to use external speakers.
Many tvs don't properly pass through digital audio. For example, my Samsung plasma takes in 5.1 Dolby and passes out stereo. I think its a common problem.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just found out my local Gamestop is forcing people who want a 360s and trading in a old system to reserve 360s Bundles for $370. It includes a 2nd controller and a transfere kit.

What a fricken ripoff.

LiK

Pagusas said:
I just found out my local Gamestop is forcing people who want a 360s and trading in a old system to reserve 360s Bundles for $370. It includes a 2nd controller and a transfere kit.

What a fricken ripoff.
Ah the ol' bundle bait and switch. Never change retailers

Pagusas said:

What a fricken ripoff.

This better not be national. I know what I want and it ain't that bundle.

Edit: Ugh pretty sure it will be.

Pagusas said:

What a fricken ripoff.
Damn, glad I jumped on it early, terrible bullshit.

Pagusas said:

What a fricken ripoff.
This sucks if it applies to all Gamestops. Guess I'll stick with my Jasper.

Spasm

DestinRL said:
Do any of you guys know if you can swap out the hard drive for a bigger one like you can with the PS3?
It's removable, yes, but still proprietary. Officially, you'd have to replace it with an MS branded drive (which hasn't even been announced yet). Unofficially, I'm sure the hackers will have DIY solutions before long. Also, It'd be neat if someone figured out a case swap. Old official HDD into the new case. They're both 2.5" form factor, yes?

Pagusas said:

What a fricken ripoff.

That's cute, if this is national I'm glad I jumped early.

The bundle seems to come with a packaged transfer cable and a packaged controller.

I don't see why I can't just tell the clerk to not give me those items since I don't need them when I pick mine up.

But then again I'm more than sure they'll come up with some complicated excuse.

DestinRL

Spasm said:
It's removable, yes, but still proprietary. Officially, you'd have to replace it with an MS branded drive (which hasn't even been announced yet). Unofficially, I'm sure the hackers will have DIY solutions before long. Also, It'd be neat if someone figured out a case swap. Old official HDD into the new case. They're both 2.5" form factor, yes?

I hope they figure something out. Part of the reason I wanted to buy one was because I thought I could swap it out for like a 500gb drive or something.

DestinRL said:
I hope they figure something out. Part of the reason I wanted to buy one was because I thought I could swap it out for like a 500gb drive or something.

MS will probably introduce a 500gb proprietary hard drive in the future for those who need it.

The price will, of course, be hilarious.

Spasm

LongDongJunon said:
The bundle seems to come with a packaged transfer cable and a packaged controller.

I don't see why I can't just tell the clerk to not give me those items since I don't need them when I pick mine up.

But then again I'm more than sure they'll come up with some complicated excuse.
Especially when you might be trading IN a controller. Makes no sense.

FrankT

Pagusas said:

What a fricken ripoff.

Yup it is all they have left on their site as well;

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=B020058A&homeflash2

Anyhow the next shipment should be in before the deal goes up I believe, but not sure how all that will work when I know some people have already reserved for second shipment as well.

Stop buying from Gamestop. I see the new 360 everywhere now. Target, Walmart, Best buy, all have it readily in stock, why go to gamestop to get raped by bundles. I haven't seen this new thing sell out anywhere except for Gamestops which seem to have very limited stock

BattleMonkey said:
Stop buying from Gamestop. I see the new 360 everywhere now. Target, Walmart, Best buy, all have it readily in stock, why go to gamestop to get raped by bundles. I haven't seen this new thing sell out anywhere except for Gamestops which seem to have very limited stock
People were doing it because the trade-in deal was actually really good. People who got in early lucked out it seems.

FrankT

BattleMonkey said:

Got 6 BB's around me and one of them had stock left this morning all gone now. Anyhow, Target and Wal-Mart is probably the best bet although I haven't seen them online at WM at all.

BattleMonkey said:

Most likely because of the convenience of the deal they have.

Alot of people who have gone to gamestop during the first shipment have only payed about slightly more than a game's worth in price for the new 360.

Somnia

Are you in Canada? Because you can reserve the system with no bundle here at Gamestop and there is no SKU in our system for that bundle. That store might be doing their own thing to get higher UPT (units per transaction) which is against policy.

DestinRL

GitarooMan said:
No, I was just genuinely curious. i wondered if people bought tons of media or stuff.

I like to install my games, and I like to keep all my media and stuff for games on the hard drive.

Jtyettis said:
Got 6 BB's around me and one of them had stock left this morning all gone now. Anyhow, Target and Wal-Mart is probably the best bet although I haven't seen them online at WM at all.

Odd, yesterday Best Buy here had a fairly large stack of them still along with bunch of the old systems all marked down as well. Just was at Walmart today and they had a bunch as well in the glass. There didn't seem to be a huge rush for the systems at the moment as it looked pretty plentiful availability and this is around the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area which is heavily populated

FrankT

BattleMonkey said:
Odd, yesterday Best Buy here had a fairly large stack of them still along with bunch of the old systems all marked down as well. Just was at Walmart today and they had a bunch as well in the glass. There didn't seem to be a huge rush for the systems at the moment as it looked pretty plentiful availability and this is around the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area which is heavily populated

Birmingham area here. They all had stock Saturday and from what I hear they got a lot more than the Gamestops, but one had stock this morning left at the Hoover location (versus 3 in the area yesterday) but yea gone now. I'm sure after people got tired of going to GS they went elsewhere. My local GS only got 6 versus from what I'm hearing like 40+ at some BBs.

LongDongJunon said:
Some folks (myself included) are data pack rats. Nothing too strange about that is there?

Considering how easy it is to stream media now... it kind of is. I have 2TB's available on my 360 at all times and about 220/250gigs available on the system itself.

BattleMonkey said:

With all the crap I've collected over the year for dirt cheap I ended up (no lie) paying $10.08 for the new S unit. The trade in was too good to pass up and that isn't something anyone else is offering right now.

komarkaze

I put a $50 reserve at Gamestop on Sunday b/c they were out of stock of 360S. Only reason I'm going there is b/c of the currently high trade-in value for my current 360. If Gamestop is now going to force me to pay for an unnecessary bundle, then screw it. I'll just go buy a new system at Best Buy and look to sell my 360 another way.

Somnia said:
Are you in Canada? Because you can reserve the system with no bundle here at Gamestop and there is no SKU in our system for that bundle. That store might be doing their own thing to get higher UPT (units per transaction) which is against policy.
Gamestop Canada's trade in rates are awful compared to the US :mad:

FrankT

komarkaze said:
I put a $50 reserve at Gamestop on Sunday b/c they were out of stock of 360S. Only reason I'm going there is b/c of the currently high trade-in value for my current 360. If Gamestop is now going to force me to pay for an unnecessary bundle, then screw it. I'll just go buy a new system at Best Buy and look to sell my 360 another way.

I doubt they can change your pre-order like that since it is 2 different SKUs without your say so, but you may want to double check.

I'm trying to do a license migration using the tool online but on the page where you confirm it is showing what I assume is my old console's ID instead of my new console's ID. Does anyone know why it wont recognize my new 360?

FrankT

Anticitizen One said:
I'm trying to do a license migration using the tool online but on the page where you confirm it is showing what I assume is my old console's ID instead of my new console's ID. Does anyone know why it wont recognize my new 360?

I can only assume you are now logged in with your Live account with your new 360 online aye? That is the only thing I can think of when I went through the process.

Anticitizen One said:

It doesn't show your new one till after you have transferred and confirmed. To note if your connected to live when you start this, it will kick you off live and you have to manually go back onto live before you can continue with the license transfer.

see5harp

OldJadedGamer said:
Considering how easy it is to stream media now... it kind of is. I have 2TB's available on my 360 at all times and about 220/250gigs available on the system itself.

Agree 100%. Extremely silly to have media, especially music, on your 360. It completely negates the awesomeness that is custom soundtracks via network share. Not only that, but Last.fm works great in a party setting.

DestinRL

Did anyone try and do a hard drive swap just for fun? I mean, is the hard drive that much different? I don't have one so I can't see. If you try it you should take pics!

see5harp said:
Agree 100%. Extremely silly to have media, especially music, on your 360. It completely negates the awesomeness that is custom soundtracks via network share. Not only that, but Last.fm works great in a party setting.

Windows Media center steams all my videos/photos/music from my computer and not only that, does so to any 360 I have connected in the house. Not only that, by having it streaming and not sitting on the system itself, I can use my PS3 to stream the same media.

I really can't understand how people are filling up their space when networking is soooooooooo easy.

OldJadedGamer said:

see5harp said:

Hey I wholeheartedly agree with the both of youz guys, but I don't keep movies or music on my drive, I have a stick for that stuff, just straight up installs, demos, and XBLA games that have been stacking up for years now.

I've just been itching for more...I guess tangible space for lack of a better word... for a while now and this seems to be the perfect deal for me to get such an upgrade. That's all.

Edit: In the case of demos, I DO delete them as soon as I get the retail version of the game but keep them on the drive until that happens.

I know...overkill.

see5harp

Okay I guess if you keep every piece of download since launch, you'd have a need for more than the typical guy, but stuff like old themes and gamerpics that predate the avatar system or redesigned dash just clutter things up for me. Demos also....even if I haven't bought a game, most of the time I don't ever feel the need to play a 2 minute XBLA demo ever again. I know a lot of people like you though, so don't feel bad about it.

LongDongJunon said:
MS will probably introduce a 500gb proprietary hard drive in the future for those who need it.

The price will, of course, be hilarious.
Of course, the obvious bit here is that those who actually need more than a 250GB HDD for their game console can probably easily afford it.

Klocker

yea I'll never get close to filling up the HDD... I'm too much of an organizer.

Now if they started giving away free movies then maybe... otherwise demos last a few weeks at best, installed games are between 4-5 at any given time as that is all I ever own at one time and with Netflix I have tons of stuff I already never watch.

so yea a 250GB HDD is just "because" for me.

and I love the WiFi but I'm wiring the machine soon anyway so really I got it only for the form factor and the new chipset running cooler/quieter, more USB and because I could. :lol

Top Bottom