• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

If you kids had the choice between paying $100 for the N adapter and Paying $300 for a new slim model and hopefully selling your 120GB jasper unit for $150-ish, which would you pick?

goldenpp72

SonOfABeep said:
If you kids had the choice between paying $100 for the N adapter and Paying $300 for a new slim model and hopefully selling your 120GB jasper unit for $150-ish, which would you pick?

Slim for sure

SonOfABeep said:
adapter since it is dual band while the internal wifi in the slim ant :/

goldenpp72 said:
Slim for sure

has anyone seen any difference in signal strength between the standalone N and the built in slim adapter? Can I rely on it for getting the best latency for street fighter matches? I never have enjoyed wireless for games, but my living situation makes it pretty unlikely I can get a wired connection now.

RBH

Gamestop makes an announcement about the 360 trade-in deal:

To everyone asking about our Xbox 360 trade offer: the offer will run through 7/18 for customers who are able to purchase or pick-up a currently reserved Xbox 360 250GB. We are not currently accepting new pre-orders and have taken the offer down from GameStop.com. However, if we begin taking pre-orders again before 7/18, we’ll put the offer back up.

http://www.facebook.com/GameStop?v=wall&story_fbid=131380470227483&ref=mf
http://twitter.com/GameStop

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
RBH said:

To everyone asking about our Xbox 360 trade offer: the offer will run through 7/18 for customers who are able to purchase or pick-up a currently reserved Xbox 360 250GB. We are not currently accepting new pre-orders and have taken the offer down from GameStop.com. However, if we begin taking pre-orders again before 7/18, we’ll put the offer back up.

That's a little confusing. So the offer is only good if you pre-ordered? Or does this mean if I get lucky and they get one in by 7/18 that isn't preordered I could trade in my xbox?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
That's a little confusing. So the offer is only good if you pre-ordered? Or does this mean if I get lucky and they get one in by 7/18 that isn't preordered I could trade in my xbox?

Yes on both.

Effectively they have sold through all of the units they will have by July 18th with their current number of pre-orders. They have stopped taking new pre-orders. So unless you already got your name on one, the deal is dead.

UNLESS, like you said, - if somewhere, someone didn't pick it up and the store sold it first-come-first-serve, you could still get the deal (before 7/18).

i have a secret source here in atlanta that's getting me this system in about 2 hours. Ive been so far gone from xbox since mine red-ringed in dec 07, what games from then on should i look out for?

for reference, i played pretty much all of them up until that point. i beat the holy hell out of halo 3, is ODST worth getting or should i wait for reach?

one more question, does that old HD cable that came with the xbox premium even have a port on the new xbox? i have an hdmi cable if not

th3dude

RBH said:

Wow thanks for posting this. Makes me feel a lot better about my reserved unit and being able to successfully trade in when it comes in. I'm the first reservation at my gamestop :)

th3dude

The S-Word said:
i have a secret source here in atlanta that's getting me this system in about 2 hours. Ive been so far gone from xbox since mine red-ringed in dec 07, what games from then on should i look out for?

for reference, i played pretty much all of them up until that point. i beat the holy hell out of halo 3, is ODST worth getting or should i wait for reach?

one more question, does that old HD cable that came with the xbox premium even have a port on the new xbox? i have an hdmi cable if not
If you are a Halo fan, can't go wrong with ODST. It goes for around $25 new in the buy/sell/trade thread and you get both the campaign and all of the Halo 3 maps on the mp disc.

Maybe I should get a 120gb Elite for cheap now instead? How is the noise level on those? My old Xbox 360 sounds like a jet plane even when I'm browsing menues.

FrankT

Sniper McBlaze said:
Maybe I should get a 120gb Elite for cheap now instead? How is the noise level on those? My old Xbox 360 sounds like a jet plane even when I'm browsing menues.

Installed everything on my Jasper and it was no where close to that. You should notice a pretty good difference between your old 360 and a Jasper. Obviously not as quiet as the 360 S however.

OneLetter

Just saw the twitter update from GameStop - glad I pre-ordered. Now I just have to hope they actually get in a shipment of 360's before the 18th...

Jtyettis said:
Installed everything on my Jasper and it was no where close to that. You should notice a pretty good difference between your old 360 and a Jasper. Obviously not as quiet as the 360 S however.

Mileage varies with Jaspers. Some use fans with REALLY fucking noisy bearings. I mean the cheapest, loudest chinese fans that you could possibly find.

Others are pretty quiet.

My old Jasper's fans (I installed all discs) made it the loudest thing in my rack. My new 360 S is the quietest. Even my DirecTV DVR is louder.

FrankT

Beer Monkey said:
Mileage varies with Jaspers. Some use fans with REALLY fucking noisy bearings. I mean the cheapest, loudest chinese fans that you could possibly find.

Others are pretty quiet.

My old Jasper's fans (I installed all discs) made it the loudest thing in my rack. My new 360 S is the quietest. Even my DirecTV DVR is louder.

Yea that seems to be the case all I know is going from Zephyr to Jasper was a big improvement for me. For sound alone though 360 S is where it's at.

AzBat said:
Has nobody tried booting the new system without a hard drive yet? Come on, this is GAF? LOL :)

They did on Giant Bomb. The thing boots and acts 100% normal if you remove the HDD and the WiFi unit. Nothing has really changed aside from the form factor.

AzBat

Valkyr Junkie said:
They did on Giant Bomb. The thing boots and acts 100% normal if you remove the HDD and the WiFi unit. Nothing has really changed aside from the form factor.

Cool. Is that on their podcast or a review?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
They've been showing TV ads in the UK for this for the last week or so.

They're still using the 'Here Today, Ready for Tomorrow' tagline, but put 'Coming Soon' at the bottom of the screen because it's not out here until the 16th.

Amuses me, that's for sure. :lol

th3dude

Thaedolus said:
Still waiting on my pre-order. I really was not expecting such supply problems, I pre-ordered a week ago on Monday... :\

I reserved one on the 19th. My Gamestop says next shipment is July 9 unless MS delays.

Thaedolus

sn1pes said:
I reserved one on the 19th. My Gamestop says next shipment is July 9 unless MS delays.

Wow, that's not what the dude told me up front. I called today and the one who answered sounded pretty annoyed, so I bet they're getting rather the same question a lot and have no real answer

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thaedolus said:
Wow, that's not what the dude told me up front. I called today and the one who answered sounded pretty annoyed, so I bet they're getting rather the same question a lot and have no real answer

My store has been saying july 9th reliably as well.

So i ended up having to slap my Wireless N Network Adapter onto my 360 S so that i could get 4 bars with HD. My pops would not switch over to wireless G, so i had no other option. Not having Dual Band built in bites! :(

Just bought one of these bad boys at Walmart on a whim. Still sitting at work so I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize it was so tough to find one of these. At the risk of being an asshole, should I go back to Walmart and buy the other one to ebay it? Is there any markup to be had?

Sniper McBlaze said:

Jaspers are damn quiet. Especially if you use the HD install option (as others have already said). Just want to confirm that you really can't go wrong in the noise department with a Jasper.

BigNastyCurve said:
Jaspers are damn quiet. Especially if you use the HD install option (as others have already said). Just want to confirm that you really can't go wrong in the noise department with a Jasper.

Sorry but this is bullshit. Even Jaspers are pretty damn noisy due to their cheap small fans emitting a constant highpitched whine.

Quick sound comparision to give you an idea

So yeah, I've already ordered my 360 Slim...

Am I screwed for the GS promotion if I haven't pre-ordered, or can I be really lucky and reserve one when the next shipment arrives? How much are Wi-Fi adapters and 120GB HDDs on eBay?

FrankT

ChoklitReign said:
Am I screwed for the GS promotion if I haven't pre-ordered, or can I be really lucky and reserve one when the next shipment arrives? How much are Wi-Fi adapters and 120GB HDDs on eBay?

I don't think you can reserve them anymore so unless you get lucky and walk into a store that doesn't have one reserved then likely no.

taylor910

BigNastyCurve said:
should I go back to Walmart and buy the other one to ebay it? Is there any markup to be had?

I would say get back there asap. If it is still there you could probably fetch $1000 for it. Definitely go get it.

-PXG- said:
My shit's covered in finger prints and tiny scratches already :(
I hate the gloss coating or whatever it uses, my pc case front has fingerprints on it every day, the back of my chrome 2g touch has so many hairline scratches that it just looks awful now, only time I really like the gloss look is when it's not a dark colour, I guess the DSlite does it right.

Matte white 360 / Dreamcast plastic for life <3

aesop

There is one Gamestop in my general area that is still taking preorders with the trade-in offer. Too bad I carpooled today because they don't take preorders over the phone.

Tadale

Finally found one today at a country Wal-Mart while I was out for work. I went ahead and picked it up even though I have one preordered from Gamestop to take advantage of the trade-in thing, but it seems like that damn store will never get them in. So I think I'm just going to try and sell my old 60 gig pro on craigslist or something on the cheap.

mintylurb

AgentOtaku said:
Sorry but this is bullshit. Even Jaspers are pretty damn noisy due to their cheap small fans emitting a constant highpitched whine.

I had a chance to test out 5 recently produced Jasper units(mar 2010 - april 2010 produced jaspers) and 1 older jasper(Oct 2009).

All of them had dc brushless fans and made that headache inducing high-pitched whine noise. They weren't any quieter than my older falcon unit which also has dc brushless fans.

I truly envy those who aren't bothered by such high-pitched whine noise.

mintylurb said:
I had a chance to test out 5 recently produced Jasper units(mar 2010 - april 2010 produced jaspers) and 1 older jasper(Oct 2009).

All of them had dc brushless fans and made that headache inducing high-pitched whine noise. They weren't any quieter than my older falcon unit which also has dc brushless fans.

I truly envy those who aren't bothered by such high-pitched whine noise.

Concured

AgentOtaku said:

The youtube "evidence" you're touting is pretty fucking worthless. What the fuck does "Old Xbox 360" mean, anyway? The one in that video sounds like my launch 360. I got news for you, neither my Falcon or my Jasper are as loud as that. The slim sounds a lot like my Jasper. Of course, if you're 12 years old then maybe you can hear more of the high-pitched whine that you're complaining about.

Top Bottom