• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Any impressions on the quality of the wifi? I could never get anything close to a usable online connection with my old 360 using the adapter. A reliable online experience is the only way I would consider purchasing a 360 again. FYI, my PS3 never gave me online issues while my 360+adapter never worked.

Shurs

aztrex said:
Any impressions on the quality of the wifi? I could never get anything close to a usable online connection with my old 360 using the adapter. A reliable online experience is the only way I would consider purchasing a 360 again. FYI, my PS3 never gave me online issues while my 360+adapter never worked.

It's pretty good, though on the rare occasion it will disconnect. I download content faster than on my PS3, though I don't know if that's a server side thing or a Wi-Fi thing.

Greyvvolf

Here's the 360 S in white.

White_360_S.jpg

I picked up a slim for $120 AU after trading in my Elite with the wi-fi adapter and the camera.
Really impressed with the machine apart from one issue, which is when I removed the optical cable to move the 360 the plastic that holds the cable in actually came out with the cable and the latch that pushes in when you insert the optical cable was broken. :I
I clicked it back in (sans the flap) and it still works with no issues. As long as it's only that particular plastic housing with suspect build quality this time I'm not too concerned.

Hey guys, can you help me out?

I just got a Slim, but when I go to my video library the effing main hard drive doesn't show up. Help?

Raide

FleckSplat said:

I just got a Slim, but when I go to my video library the effing main hard drive doesn't show up. Help?

"I won't let you play those kind of videos, Dave."

ElNino

Shurs said:
Hey, dudes. One issue I am having is that, sometimes, the 360 will put out a stereo signal even though I have it set to 5.1. I started up Crackdown 2 this morning and almost immediately discovered that my receiver, which I have hooked to the 360 via HDMI, was pulling in a stereo signal. I jumped back out to the dashboard and checked my audio settings and the 360 was set to output to Dolby Digital 5.1. Last night the 360 was outputting audio at 5.1 and I hadn't touched my audio settings for days.

I thought maybe it was an issue with Crackdown 2, so I started up Geometry Wars 2 and found the same thing. So I went back to the dashboard's audio menu and toggled back and forth between stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1, and now the system is outputting 5.1. Is there something wrong with my 360? Is this a known bug? Any advice?
I get this on my Jasper model 360 sometimes as well. I don't think it is "bug" per se but rather an issue with the HDMI handshake between the 360 and your TV or AV Receiver. I find that the order of how I switch inputs will sometimes cause it, but the solution to it is exactly what you did... simply toggle the output to stereo and back to DD 5.1 and it should redo the handshake and you will get surround again.

It's annoying, but it doesn't happen too often and it happens with other HDMI-enabled devices I have as well.

FleckSplat said:

does it show the hdd under any other menus? like the system>memory area, or game saves?

Dipswitch

ElNino said:
I get this on my Jasper model 360 sometimes as well. I don't think it is "bug" per se but rather an issue with the HDMI handshake between the 360 and your TV or AV Receiver. I find that the order of how I switch inputs will sometimes cause it, but the solution to it is exactly what you did... simply toggle the output to stereo and back to DD 5.1 and it should redo the handshake and you will get surround again.

It's annoying, but it doesn't happen too often and it happens with other HDMI-enabled devices I have as well.

Yeah, the same thing happens with my 360 and Onkyo receiver too. In my experience, turning the 360 on last usually takes care of it. If the DD light on your receiver isn't lit when the 360 dashboard fires up, you're stuck with stereo and will have to recycle the power on the 360 to fix it.

Okay, I solved it.

The Downloaded Videos are located under "Zune" in the menu. I deleted the Zune app and the name of the entry changed to "Downloaded Videos." WTF Microsoft.

Edit: Thanks for the attempt, Diablohead.

Got rid of my old 360 and upgraded to this. Good move and the built in wi-fi is the best feature. It's also much quieter than my old model. I can actually watch DVD's on it now.

HocusPocus said:
Got rid of my old 360 and upgraded to this. Good move and the built in wi-fi is the best feature. It's also much quieter than my old model. I can actually watch DVD's on it now.

Absolutely. I was actually playing a game w/o installing it and thought it was installed.

ElNino

Dipswitch said:
Yeah, the same thing happens with my 360 and Onkyo receiver too. In my experience, turning the 360 on last usually takes care of it. If the DD light on your receiver isn't lit when the 360 dashboard fires up, you're stuck with stereo and will have to recycle the power on the 360 to fix it.
Rebooting the 360 will fix it, but is probably not the best method. Simply toggling DD off/on works the same and is probably better on the system.

eso76

miladesn said:
colorware-xbox-360-red.jpg

for ONLY 175$

at 175$ that's not bad, for a slim x360, although you get the shitty colours.
Probably some factory mistake they're trying to get rid of for cheap, i see, but i'd still rather pay the full 299 for the regular less shitty looking black one, though.

Or, wait, are you saying 175$ is for the obscene paintjob only ?? the fuck? :lol i was here trying to clean the monitor thinking someone had thrown up on it.

ok ok, i'm joking, but that's hideous !

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
surly said:
There's a rumour going around that Sainsbury's will be selling these for £139.99 on launch day. Any UKers should keep their eyes on the newspapers, TV ads and forums for confirmation. It sounds a bit too good to be true IMO, as that's £60 off the RRP, but you never know. A lot of people didn't believe that Sainsbury's were going to sell Modern Warfare 2 for £26, but that turned out to be true.

I bought my 60GB unit the last time they did this.

I forget when it was (must be 2 years now) but I got it for like £129 or thereabouts which was about £80 off at the time. It was a really good deal.

I would certainly keep an eye of this if you're looking to buy one of these.

eso76 said:
at 175$ that's not bad, for a slim x360, although you get the shitty colours.
Probably some factory mistake they're trying to get rid of for cheap, i see, but i'd still rather pay the full 299 for the regular less shitty looking black one, though.

Or, wait, are you saying 175$ is for the obscene paintjob only ?? the fuck? :lol i was here trying to clean the monitor thinking someone had thrown up on it.

ok ok, i'm joking, but that's hideous !

it is only 175 if you send yours in to get colored. They sell them to you for 500.

I never buy consoles for aesthetics, but I do find my 360 S more attractive than the (also shiny black plastic) PS3 fat that it sits next to.

errr my 360 isnt reading any discs i put in it...it was working fine a second ago and even installed Beautiful Katamari but now it wont read any discs or cds...whats going on here?

FrankT

Beer Monkey said:
I never buy consoles for aesthetics, but I do find my 360 S more attractive than the (also shiny black plastic) PS3 fat that it sits next to.

The form factor is nicer, but I like the shine on both. Just don't touch the things heh.

The S-Word said:
errr my 360 isnt reading any discs i put in it...it was working fine a second ago and even installed Beautiful Katamari but now it wont read any discs or cds...whats going on here?

"You know, things break." -- Peter Moore, 2007

im going to let it cool off or something but if this thing is broke im just getting my money back, fuck 300$ bricks. 3 hours of being hooked up and already a problem like that? fuck

The S-Word said:
im going to let it cool off or something but if this thing is broke im just getting my money back, fuck 300$ bricks. 3 hours of being hooked up and already a problem like that? fuck
Why not just take it back and get a replacement? I've had a £5,000 TV die on me after a day and the engine on a £18,000 car blow up after a week. Neither time did I feel like spitting the dummy... I simply got them replaced.

(Though I must admit that my Wii dying on me really annoyed me... but that's because at the time you couldn't get them for love nor (a reasonable amount of) money.)

Edit - Of course, if it had happened again it would have been a different story.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I have been having more connection issues since moving to wireless. Occasionally games become very laggy/drop out and party chats disconnect. Hopefully that is my router and not the xbox though.

ZeMMiK

A bought an extra arcade for 120 euro's, sold the packin game got it now for 95euro put a memstick in and voila. Not going to upgrade ..got 3 xboxxes already now.
Happy with it.

Psychotext said:
Why not just take it back and get a replacement? I've had a £5,000 TV die on me after a day and the engine on a £18,000 car blow up after a week. Neither time did I feel like spitting the dummy... I simply got them replaced.

(Though I must admit that my Wii dying on me really annoyed me... but that's because at the time you couldn't get them for love nor (a reasonable amount of) money.)

Edit - Of course, if it had happened again it would have been a different story.

because it'd be a miracle if they even have a second one, then ill have to deal with xbox customer service for transfering my licenses because i did it today already and have to wait a year, then if that one does the same thing im just SOL with it. it's just really pissed me off because it had only been hooked up 3 hours or so.

RavenHawk

While I am enjoying the newer quiet 360S, my small power brick whines like a spoiled brat. It is almost as loud as my Jasper at idle. Is this the norm for everyone else, or did I get a bad brick?

th3dude

Finally almost the 9th. Really hoping I get that automated call from Gamestop tomorrow saying that I can pick up (and trade!) on Friday. *crosses fingers*

OneLetter

My local GameStop(s) still haven't received any new units. 11 days left until I either get a new 360, or I cancel my pre-order.

legbone

OneLetter said:
My local GameStop(s) still haven't received any new units. 11 days left until I either get a new 360, or I cancel my pre-order.

just check your local walmart or best buy. i picked one up saturday at walmart. it was the last one on the shelf but i went in today and they have 3 more already. they seem to be keeping them in the back and putting them out as needed. just a heads up if you want one right now.

expy

Banned
legbone said:
just check your local walmart or best buy. i picked one up saturday at walmart. it was the last one on the shelf but i went in today and they have 3 more already. they seem to be keeping them in the back and putting them out as needed. just a heads up if you want one right now.
Don't think he wants to pay full price for it, maybe wants to use the trade-in.

Picked one up driving through Oregon at a Target. No tax, huzzah!

Fixed the remaining single most annoying thing about the 360: the noise. It is significantly quieter. Even when spinning a DVD. Also, the form factor reduction is appreciated. The original was not an obnoxious size, but the smaller footprint is better. Integrated wifi, yes thank you. The gloss, not so much.

So three steps forward, a baby step back. Worth upgrading to a 360 S from an earlier revision, for sure. This and the ps3 slim are why I love mid-cycle revisions. Both are pretty awesome.

OneLetter

legbone said:

I'm not paying full price for a new one. With GameStop's trade-in incentives (and I pre-ordered in time), the new 360 will only cost me $50. Not $300. That's the only reason I'm doing this.

Mine was delivered! I need to go pick it up after work today...then figure out how to get my Law final done while having the 360 tempt me!

wonderkins said:
Picked one up driving through Oregon at a Target. No tax, huzzah!

Fixed the remaining single most annoying thing about the 360: the noise. It is significantly quieter. Even when spinning a DVD. Also, the form factor reduction is appreciated. The original was not an obnoxious size, but the smaller footprint is better. Integrated wifi, yes thank you. The gloss, not so much.

So three steps forward, a baby step back. Worth upgrading to a 360 S from an earlier revision, for sure. This and the ps3 slim are why I love mid-cycle revisions. Both are pretty awesome.

Wanted to say +1

I'm am amazed/surprised how quiet it really is. It actually nows beats my gun-metal gray PS3 and is now the quietest console I own next to my Wii. It took 5 years, but MS finally nailed the hardware.

Also, much better plastic/material. Don't hearing the cracking, expanding, or overall cheapness of the fatties.

Top Bottom