• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
with the huge air vents on both sides I guess it's a bad idea to put it horizontally now or dust will fuck it up completely.

Mithos said:
First Swedish webshop has put up the new 360 with price (maybe not an official price but....)

360slim: 2995sek ~ $375 ~ 310euro

*sigh* hope its gonna be much lower.....
Gamestop will most likely be cheaper than that. They usually have the best price on 360 in Sweden.

Pale

Any word on how the hard drive actually works?

Looks like the current snap on ones don't work with this. Does that mean it's internal? Does that possibly mean it's easily upgraded like the PS3?

Does all of this mean that the current snap on hard drives will be discontinued so I can get a 250 gig for cheap?

I have so many questions!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And damn, Kinect is at least three times bigger than it needs to be. W...T...F...?

Spasm

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but you'll be able to use the data transfer cable to transfer your old HDD to the slim, since the old HDDs won't fit. Just plug it into a USB slot, and your ready to transfer.

surly

Banned
Diablohead said:
Was the old $299 price in the US for the black elite? trying to work out UK price for the slim when it hits next month.

Elite's here are £189, regular console with 60gig is £169 I think, so it's going to be one of those prices.
The UK RRP is £199. The Euro RRP is 249 Euros. It launches on July 16th in Europe. That's according to Graeme Boyd on Twitter.

rayner said:
Still $299? Only addition is built-in wifi? Man that's weak...
It has a built in PSU, 130 GB more hard drive space than an Elite, and wireless N which previously cost about $100 as an add-on, plus more audio connections and it's supposedly "whisper quiet".

Maximus.

I need to get a 360, havent replaced my dead one in about a year, but will wait for a price drop. I am going to assume around the launch of Halo or Natal we will see better pricing. The system looks alright, but as long as its reliable, quiet and doesnt run hot, then I am happy. Also, damn kinect is huge :lol

MechDX

Spasm said:
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but you'll be able to use the data transfer cable to transfer your old HDD to the slim, since the old HDDs won't fit. Just plug it into a USB slot, and your ready to transfer.

If true the value of a transfer cable may rise incredibly.

Mithos said:
First Swedish webshop has put up the new 360 with price (maybe not an official price but....)

360slim: 2995sek ~ $375 ~ 310euro

*sigh* hope its gonna be much lower.....

Well, seems we can be lucky, if it stays below 300. Meh, was hoping for a 279. Maybe there will be at least timed pricedrops by amazon or Saturn/MediaMarkt here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
As I said to the hugely overreacting people in the last thread that said this thing was ass ugly: hell no.

The new 360 is quite sexy. No price drop sucks but you're getting 250 gigs and wi-fi at least. I would assume they're holding the price drop for the fall.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
chris0701 said:
I think it is about 10%+ smaller.
You obviously never took geometry.

Pale said:
Any word on how the hard drive actually works?

Looks like the current snap on ones don't work with this. Does that mean it's internal? Does that possibly mean it's easily upgraded like the PS3?

Does all of this mean that the current snap on hard drives will be discontinued so I can get a 250 gig for cheap?

I have so many questions!

The new drive is still in a proprietary enclosure so it's not like the PS3 situation in that respect. I'm not sure what you mean by easily upgraded.

This would be perfect if somehow the new HDD was backwards compatible. Now instead of just switching my HDD between two consoles, I may have to transfer to a USB, which is not optimal if you are constantly switching between two consoles (which I often do in the main room and bedroom)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
wmat said:
Well, the 360 briefing is over. Let's see what Sony brings to the table, shall we? If they can deliver with some exclusives, I wouldn't put my money on Microsoft for the next 1.5 years.

I'm sure not matter what happened at this E3, you wouldn't put your money on Microsoft.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm definitely trading in my ticking time bomb for this. Just need to know UK pricing.

Barakov

Psychotext said:
From the conference...

4ghi8h.jpg

Not a bad reduction given the HDD and the PSU are now internal (or so it seems based on the connectors).

Looks quite a bit smaller than the current 360 in that pic. Nice to see they finally got around to including wi-fi in a sku. At $299 I'm not going to rush out and buy one as my current 360 still works. I'll definitely look into picking one up down the line, though.

Hootie

As long as I can transfer my data from my original 360, I'll almost certainly buy this. My xbox RROD'd a few months ago and I'm aching to play some GOW and Fallout.

I have a launch unit so I'm getting this ASAP. Already went to Gamestop but they don't have a SKU yet.

All I need to know: how to transfer HDD data? Any news on this?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
_tetsuo_ said:
I'm sure not matter what happened at this E3, you wouldn't put your money on Microsoft.
Why? I have a 360 and a PC. I really don't have any platform preference, it's been more about the money when I bought my 360. I'm just telling it as I see it here.

HiResDes

Saren is Bad said:
I have a launch unit so I'm getting this ASAP. Already went to Gamestop but they don't have a SKU yet.

this is relevant to my interests as well as a owner of an original 20GB system.

I kind of wanted to buy a new 360 and my friend's just red-ringed a couple of weeks ago (out of warranty). $299 is too expensive though, there's absolutely no need for a 250GB HDD... at least not in my case, I would never buy videos on Live and I can't imagine needing more than 60GB or so for the few XBLA games I buy (hell, 20GB is enough for me).

I would easily of paid $200 for this and wouldn't mind sacrificing most all of that hard drive space.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I only have component available on my TV so I'm a little worried about purchasing this new system, any info on the connectors etc?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Psychotext said:
It's on gametrailers now. It looks much better in video.
HDD is inside in a compartment.

Uh-oh. How are they handling data transfers for those that side-grade?

chris0701 said:
The wifi is really crucial for LIVE content)ESPN、Kinetic Chat..) in your living room.

No more cat5e,thanks.

I put my router next to my TV so all my systems are hardwired. Wifi isn't "crucial" for everyone.

Saren is Bad said:

Did they even know what you were talking about when you got there? :lol

Wormdundee said:
...PSU is not internal.
Good.

External PSUs are a godsend for import gamers or people who travel frequently, buying a cheap PSU for the voltage of the region you are in beats having to empty your wallet for a morbidly expensive stepdown/up converter that can withstand a device with such high energy consumption.

lowrider007 said:
I only have component available on my TV so I'm a little worried about purchasing this new system, any info on the connectors etc?

There's a picture of the back on majornelsons flicker. But anyway, it still has the same AV connector as the old 360s. It just adds in HDMI standard.

I was looking forward to this but this thing is too expensive. It's not worth it to me, no way.

Microsoft seems to not get prices right now.

brotkasten said:
New specs from Engadget and it looks like the PSU is still internal.

Woot @ the user swappable HDD
Don't worry you can still play your 360 games on the new 360
No external hdd seems odd. You should still be able to use it even with the bigger internal one

Zachack

Houston3000 said:
I kind of wanted to buy a new 360 and my friend's just red-ringed a couple of weeks ago (out of warranty). $299 is too expensive though, there's absolutely no need for a 250GB HDD... at least not in my case, I would never buy videos on Live and I can't imagine needing more than 60GB or so for the few XBLA games I buy (hell, 20GB is enough for me).

I would easily of paid $200 for this and wouldn't mind sacrificing most all of that hard drive space.
If you install games (like you should be doing) you can fill a 120 gig drive up pretty fast. Between XBLA, saves and my RB DLC I managed to completely fill a 20gig.

Top Bottom