• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Blueblur1

I'm having a problem with the license transfer process. Basically, I can't even start it. When I click the link "Stat the license transfer process now" link over at xbox.com it just constantly refreshes a new page/tab and ultimately fails to load the page. The page it does manage to load just asks me to log in again. Anyone else having this issue? I've tried using both IE8 and Firefox.

Edit: Nevermind. I had to clear my cookies in my browser.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sn1pes said:
I can't believe I'm about to say this but I think I need to send my 250gb in for repair. I'm so angry.

I'm having awful controller sync issues. In the middle of any game about 10 minutes in my controller will just freeze. The player 1 light will stay on on both the console and the controller but whatever I was doing, such as walking forward, will get stuck and repeat infinitely.

The only way out is a hard reset of the 360. Even then it takes about 5 to 10 hard resets for the controller to resync.

I keep hearing that interference is to blame. Well I've shut off almost all of the devices that could cause the problem, even my router, with no luck. This happens on both my old controller and the new one that was bundled. Even connecting to play and charge doesn't work. Everything worked fine on my old pro unit and nothing has changed except the 360.

I'm out of ideas and destined to begin yet another string of refurbs from MS, just with the new model.

I think those are most of the details. Please, gaf, help me fix this before I have to send this thing in. Also I'm past the 30 days to return to gamestop as well so no luck there unless I am wrong about their policy.

Help is appreciated
Take your controllers to a friends house, pair with his 360 then re pair with yours.

Nice to see this thread is back, the other day I tried out my new black headset for the first time, the one which comes with the console, and it's broken!

Upon inspection the wire (that real thin one they pass as "quality") was lose on the end with the metal plug, the plug itself is fine just that the wire is loose, the thing was in plastic wrap ffs shoddy build quality there.

I nearly phoned microsoft up about it but what's the point, I have my old launch day white headset still and well it works, good enough for me. It's better quality too with the old grey end with mute and volume wheel compared to the newer, thinner wired ones.

Also while I love the huge HDD inside I really wish it was matte, they were stupid to go with the shine.

Got a Slim for Reach and I am loving it so far. Tons of hard drive space, quiet as hell and it looks way sexy in my setup. And it beeps when you turn it on. God dammit, it beeps.

ShapeGSX said:
Take the hard drive from your original XBox 360, remove it from the caddy, put it in this enclosure and you are good to go with a hard drive on your 4GB slim.

Was there something about MS able to ban consoles with old hard drive swaps. Saw something similar on another thread and didn't think much of it at the time.

CadetMahoney said:
Was there something about MS able to ban consoles with old hard drive swaps. Saw something similar on another thread and didn't think much of it at the time.
That's very, very, very unlikely. There was something about MS being able to ban people who had flashed non MS hard drives to use in a 360 (because they were sharing the same serial number)... but I never read a single example of it actually happening though.

feel

Very disappointed that the power supply I got with my Slim has loud fans, rendering the "whisper quiet" claim not true for me. It gets a bit annoying when the room and game go into silence and I can clearly hear the annoying PSU. I'll probably stop noticing it after a while, but I'll still keep an eye out to see if I can buy a quiet PSU somewhere.

th3dude

OuterWorldVoice said:
Take your controllers to a friends house, pair with his 360 then re pair with yours.
Already patiently waiting for my repaired console to come back from ms. Should only be a few more days. Reach is sitting and collecting dust and making me sad :(

RBH

516OsKLL51L._AA300_.jpg

51fMFHNwq2L._AA300_.jpg

516OsKLL51L._AA300_.jpg

$399, November 4th release date.

FrankT

With the $199, $299, $399 SKUs for the holidays(two of which will have Kinect in the box) it's going to be interesting the route they go with the Black Friday bundles. I suppose mainly adding incentive to the $199 and the stand alone 250gb.

spookyfish

Quick question--how hot does the console exhaust get? It's on the side, so it's venting out the top. I know that's what it's supposed to do, but it just seems much warmer than my Jasper unit. Of course, at least it's pushing the hot air out ...

It's a Reach console, BTW.

RBH said:
516OsKLL51L._AA300_.jpg

51fMFHNwq2L._AA300_.jpg

516OsKLL51L._AA300_.jpg

$399, November 4th release date.

Hmm.

Will this be launching with the new improved Dpad controllers?

They should have bundled it with more exciting content I think. And still only one color, now that faceplates are out of the picture?

At 399$ adding a few classics(Halo, or Gears or Fable) and perhaps a few good XBLA games would have made sense. I understand the need of a casuals Kinectimals kid friendly sku but still. smehh. Viva Pinata and Banjo Nuts and Bolts would have been great for that SKU.

th3dude

My repaired/refurbed console will be delivered today. Hopefully this is the end and I just had a faulty RF sensor.

Can finally join you all in Reach and rejoin in MW2.

spookyfish said:
Quick question--how hot does the console exhaust get? It's on the side, so it's venting out the top. I know that's what it's supposed to do, but it just seems much warmer than my Jasper unit. Of course, at least it's pushing the hot air out ...

If the exhaust is hotter than your Jasper, thats a good sign. The slim generates less heat because its on a smaller die, and despite that, the exhaust is still warmer, which means the inside is probably a lot cooler/has better ventilation than your Jasper.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Hmm.

They should have bundled it with more exciting content I think. And still only one color, now that faceplates are out of the picture?

At 399$ adding a few classics(Halo, or Gears or Fable) and perhaps a few good XBLA games would have made sense. I understand the need of a casuals Kinectimals kid friendly sku but still. smehh. Viva Pinata and Banjo Nuts and Bolts would have been great for that SKU.
I think MS is afraid of bundling games because they think people will play them and not buy new games. It would cost them next to nothing if they included digital versions on the HDD, but thats not what they want to do.

FrankT

spookyfish said:

Yea I had mine week one of release and stated this. Basically seems to be doing it's job pumping out all that hot air on the one side. Not had any issues on that front yet.

I was concerned about heat too on my 250gb but one thing you realise is that while the hot air is still fairly hot there is less of it, the old launch units use to throw hot air out like a vacuum on reverse, the slims just pushes it out much slower, not had a problem so far.

Shurs

Vigilant Walrus said:

Nope. If you want a 360 controller with a potentially functional d-pad, you have to paya premium.

Since the first time I've played with it, the left stick on the controller that came with my 360s has pulled the left. Same with the right stick. On some games it's not noticeable, on others, it's a fucking annoyance.

milkham

ShapeGSX said:
Take the hard drive from your original XBox 360, remove it from the caddy, put it in this enclosure and you are good to go with a hard drive on your 4GB slim.

Has anyone ordered that enclosure and received it? or know of a reputable place to order it from? just got my second RROD.

spookyfish

derFeef said:
I guess it is still safer to lie the system down? Seems like it´s sucking air in from the bottom again :/

Thanks for the hot-air reply, guys.

As for this, I have four rubber "feet" about an inch tall that I placed on the extreme four corners of my Falcon and Jasper units. I see no reason to stop using them now, as it provides a good bit of space for air to move underneath the unit.

I just bought those rubber round feet with sticky stuff on one side you can get at Target or something, and stuck three of them together. I was thinking it might extend the console's life and keep the bottom from getting too hot.

EDIT: And 'GO, Falcons!" RBH. That was an awesome game.

krazen

You also don't NEED the enclosure: if you take the HD outside of the enclosure you can slide it into the drive bay without any extra pieces: only flaw to this is that it's smaller then the bay so getting it to slide into the connectors is a bit tricky but not hard, and there's some slack around it.

I just did it myself yesterday.

milkham

krazen said:
You also don't NEED the enclosure: if you take the HD outside of the enclosure you can slide it into the drive bay without any extra pieces: only flaw to this is that it's smaller then the bay so getting it to slide into the connectors is a bit tricky but not hard, and there's some slack around it.

I just did it myself yesterday.

you ordered from that taobaodao place?

edit: nevermind i misunderstood you

I'm in the market for a new 360. I haven't been paying attention to any of the SKUs or iterations since around 2006, so I have a lot of questions regarding the new hardware.

1. What's the general consensus on the slim? Reliable? No major hardware defects, I hope?

2. There are two SKUs of the slim, correct? 4GB and 250GB? What an odd jump in numbers between the two.

3. I currently have a 20GB hard drive for my 360. If I buy the 250GB slim, does it come with a transfer cable? Or do I have to buy that separately? I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but like I said, I really haven't been paying attention to the new hardware.

4. How good is the built-in wifi adapter? I've been using the wireless adapter created for the original Xbox, and it's served me very well. My consoles are pretty far away from my router, and my PS3 always has a harder time connecting to the internet than my 360 does, a problem I attribute to its built-in wifi. I don't want to buy the slim 360 and find out that the internal wifi sucks. In any case, would I still be able to use the external wifi adapter and override the built-in one?

5. Do 360s still come with headsets and Live subscriptions packed in? My headset is screwed up, and I'll take any chance I can get to save money.

I think that's all for now. I appreciate the answers and I apologize if they've all been asked before.

Guys I need some guidance. I am planning to build a PC rig pretty soon. Going for a 2560x1440 monitor as well, with dual graphics card. I will use this to play many of the multiplatform games(COD, Fallout, Mass Effect, and so on) as I love keyboard and mouse and Steam online.

HOWEVER, I am also a console gamer, and some games, like Enslaved, and Castlevania is not out for 360. My focus? Great story based single player games, and fantastic online games. Halo Reach has me twitching to play it, but I am scared to go out and buy a slim 360, if the reasons to play it will slim down.

Right now I really want to play those games like Gears 3 and Halo Reach, Devils Third and the Demons Soul type sequel, as my long term live games. I wonder if titles like COD and Battlefield that I am going to play on PC, will destroy the Halo Reach community for example. I guess we will find out in november...

I've owned Wii, 360 and PS3 before, but have been out of the console lifestyle for a couple of years. I don't care about motion control or 3D, so does are no good for me.

What do you think... Do you think the 360 is running out of spark? Is it's non-pc exclusives online games still worth it?

Jack Scofield said:
I'm in the market for a new 360. I haven't been paying attention to any of the SKUs or iterations since around 2006, so I have a lot of questions regarding the new hardware.

1. What's the general consensus on the slim? Reliable? No major hardware defects, I hope?

2. There are two SKUs of the slim, correct? 4GB and 250GB? What an odd jump in numbers between the two.

3. I currently have a 20GB hard drive for my 360. If I buy the 250GB slim, does it come with a transfer cable? Or do I have to buy that separately? I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but like I said, I really haven't been paying attention to the new hardware.

4. How good is the built-in wifi adapter? I've been using the wireless adapter created for the original Xbox, and it's served me very well. My consoles are pretty far away from my router, and my PS3 always has a harder time connecting to the internet than my 360 does, a problem I attribute to its built-in wifi. I don't want to buy the slim 360 and find out that the internal wifi sucks. In any case, would I still be able to use the external wifi adapter and override the built-in one?

5. Do 360s still come with headsets and Live subscriptions packed in? My headset is screwed up, and I'll take any chance I can get to save money.

I think that's all for now. I appreciate the answers and I apologize if they've all been asked before.
Well the 360s seems to be good so far, people will always come out with a problem and post / talk about it but from my own experience so far it runs cooler, it's much more quiet, uses less wattage and has a cool but loud beep when you turn the thing on or open the tray :p

The 4gb model has internal flash memory, this stuff is fast as shit and will load up your gamertag in moments, the HDD 250gb model is just a 360s with a big hard drive, it feels much faster compared to my launch day 20gb hdd, for example my older hdd on my launch unit took a good 12 seconds to load my game list, on the 360s it takes about 4 seconds, maybe the HDD is better quality.

I had to transfer my data across with a memory pen, worked fine and everything was transferred. Make sure you "move" and not "copy" as some files will not copy due to protection.

Had no problem with the wifi yet, it's always showing a strong signal and never dropped out by itself (usually a router problem for me not the 360), I have no idea if the older adapter would over ride the built in one, I doubt it would.

I didn't see any live cards with my 360s but you get a black headset, warning though they are really cheaply made in the wire department and mine was broken out of the box, I decided to instead of phoning up MS for a replacement I took it apart and did a Frankenstein with my launch headset, now I have good quality and a better cable running to my controller :D

krazen

Diablohead said:
Well the 360s seems to be good so far, people will always come out with a problem and post / talk about it but from my own experience so far it runs cooler, it's much more quiet, uses less wattage and has a cool but loud beep when you turn the thing on or open the tray :p

The 4gb model has internal flash memory, this stuff is fast as shit and will load up your gamertag in moments, the HDD 250gb model is just a 360s with a big hard drive, it feels much faster compared to my launch day 20gb hdd, for example my older hdd on my launch unit took a good 12 seconds to load my game list, on the 360s it takes about 4 seconds, maybe the HDD is better quality.

I had to transfer my data across with a memory pen, worked fine and everything was transferred. Make sure you "move" and not "copy" as some files will not copy due to protection.

Had no problem with the wifi yet, it's always showing a strong signal and never dropped out by itself (usually a router problem for me not the 360), I have no idea if the older adapter would over ride the built in one, I doubt it would.

I didn't see any live cards with my 360s but you get a black headset, warning though they are really cheaply made in the wire department and mine was broken out of the box, I decided to instead of phoning up MS for a replacement I took it apart and did a Frankenstein with my launch headset, now I have good quality and a better cable running to my controller :D

One additional note: no headset with the arcade pack. But like you said, not much of a loss, lol.

FrankT

Just to add to the above you get 1 month of Live with a new console though that may be only for new accounts. You sign up for Silver, but it gives you a month of gold.

Jtyettis said:
Just to add to the above you get 1 month of Live with a new console though that may be only for new accounts. You sign up for Silver, but it gives you a month of gold.
Every 360 had done this and it's nice, you can do it for 5 or so accounts I believe.

Saying that my launch unit, I thought I had used up all the free months. Now that the console is given to my young bro I made him his first online gamertag and it said there was a 1 free gold month available, lol after all this time :D

My Slim's controller is already crap after so very little use. The right control stick won't go back to center after being pushed left, so I end up constantly spinning in slow circles while playing Reach. So annoying. I have to consciously think to push it back to the right every time.

My old controller is still going strong after 3 years. WTF Microsoft? Defective piece of junk.

Diablohead said:

Can you add a external 360 250 Gig Harddrive to the 4GB slim 360?

Like are those 4 GB build into the system, or is it using the hard drive bay.

So could a person go out and buy a 4GB 360 slim, and then add a 250 Gig harddrive on top of it, so it would have 254 GB Hard drive space?
I want the 250 gig storage space, but I also like Matte!

Vigilant Walrus said:

So could a person go out and buy a 4GB 360 slim, and then add a 250 Gig harddrive on top of it, so it would have 254 GB Hard drive space?

Yes, you can add the 250GB HDD, the 4GB is built in.

Vigilant Walrus said:

Yep and if you are willing to do so you will have the best version of the 360s :p matte black, 4gb internal you can use for your gamertags along with that hdd you stick in for storage.

mandiller

My Slim's disc tray is pretty noisy. Is that normal? When I first got it it was very quiet but about two weeks later the disc tray started to be very noisy when reading discs (vertical position btw). It is a little quieter when in horizontal position but not 'whisper quiet'.

Other than the disc tray the system is quiet so if I install a game to the harddrive there's no problem really, I'm just wondering if other slims are like that...

*edit* It's just like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEMBwt3lQo

Top Bottom