• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

mandiller

I love my Slim. It looks great. The only problem I've had with it is it is very, very noisy when spinning a disc. Worse than the original 360. But then again I have all my 360 games installed so there is no problem. Only games like Halo 3 which don't like being installed causes any issue.

mandiller said:
I love my Slim. It looks great. The only problem I've had with it is it is very, very noisy when spinning a disc. Worse than the original 360. But then again I have all my 360 games installed so there is no problem. Only games like Halo 3 which don't like being installed causes any issue.
The noise it makes depend a lot on the disc in the tray. Some of my discs are really quiet, while others make my 360 sound like it's going to blow up or something. You can tell right away when you're installing the games which discs aren't all that great.

baylon452

Neo Member
Anastacio said:
So I just bought the Xbox 360S+Kinect bundle. I have set it up, first it was standing up but I decided to lie it down after having turned it off. Here's the thing, I thought it was supposed to be extremely silent? Mine is really loud when a disc is running in the drive, is this normal?

Iv done and have been thinking the exact same things. I couldnt beleive the noise coming out when Kinect Adventures started up.

I wonder if there is a different drive you guys are getting which is noisey, mine is honestly as quiet as an idle xbox S when a dvd is spinning, it's hardly any different to installed noise, bought mine a few months back now.

Mine is probably quieter than my old 360 in terms of decibels, but the varying whine the fan makes is faintly annoying. You only really hear it on the dashboard though, any sound fx or music drowns it out.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm probably getting one if these next month, but I have a question about video files.....I use SD cards with my PS3 for video playback, since the windows server thing never worked even if medialink on my old Mac did. Is there an option like that for playing back files off cards, or is there a super-painless streaming solution you guys use?

Dabanton

mattiewheels said:
I'm probably getting one if these next month, but I have a question about video files.....I use SD cards with my PS3 for video playback, since the windows server thing never worked even if medialink on my old Mac did. Is there an option like that for playing back files off cards, or is there a super-painless streaming solution you guys use?

I just use my portable hard drive but PS3 media server works as a nice streaming solution for the Xbox. That or Connect 360.

Dunlop

mattiewheels said:

you can play off of usb cards, but for the love of gawd install PS3mediaserver stat!

Mrbob

When is the holiday 250GB bundle going to be available in the USA? I see it is up on the amazon website but nothing in stock and no release date.

I'm gonna get a slim to replace my current model. Almost bought one at best buy last night but the only thing they had on the floor were Kinect bundled systems.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ok, I'm getting PS3 media server now, but what's the best equivalent for 360, as far as ease of use and setup (loved 360 Connect, but no more Mac)?

edit: So PS3MS installs java for me, and everytime I try to run it, says I don't have Java. Jesus, I really hate Java programs.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
mattiewheels said:
Ok, I'm getting PS3 media server now, but what's the best equivalent for 360, as far as ease of use and setup (loved 360 Connect, but no more Mac)?

edit: So PS3MS installs java for me, and everytime I try to run it, says I don't have Java. Jesus.

PS3 Media Server works flawlessy on the X360 too.

golem

Mrbob said:
When is the holiday 250GB bundle going to be available in the USA? I see it is up on the amazon website but nothing in stock and no release date.

I'm gonna get a slim to replace my current model. Almost bought one at best buy last night but the only thing they had on the floor were Kinect bundled systems.
I bet the Kinect bundles will be the most easily available.. probably allocating the most slims to them.

FrankT

Mrbob said:

Been out for awhile now. Up on Gamestop, simply sold out at Amazon.

mattiewheels

SuperÑ said:
PS3 Media Server works flawlessy on the X360 too.
I'm still at a loss for how to get this running, does anyone else have a problem with it not recognizing the Java that it installs for you? Or is there a version of the program that works without Java? It's just putting me in an endless loop of 'you don't have java, let me install it'.

360sholiday2010bundle.jpg

So this bundle is $249 @ Best Buy and Future Shop next week.

FutureShop - 250GB 360 Slim + Forza 3 + Alan Wake + Brutal Legends + Tiger Woods 10.

Best Buy - 250GB 360 Slim + Forza 3 + Alan Wake + Assassins Creed 2.

For that price and the games they come with, it's a fucking steal.

tsigo

Wow, $249, really? Do you have a source/exact date on that? My original 360's DVD drive is so, so close to death and I was just about to go pick up a 4GB today, but if that's true I'm definitely holding out.

skyfinch

sweetvar26 said:

FutureShop - 250GB 360 Slim + Forza 3 + Alan Wake + Brutal Legends + Tiger Woods 10.

That's one hell of a deal.

Cardigan

sweetvar26 said:

Where did you find the Best Buy deal? I've looked on CAG and some BF sites and haven't been able to find anything.

FrankT

sweetvar26 said:

What really. Where is the ad for this? I saw a Sam's Club ad with like 2 of these and RDR for $350 next week.

Wow I got a coupon in the mail from the Microsoft Store that has a $50 off coupon for an order of $200 or more. A $150 slim 360 is pretty tempting...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
sweetvar26 said:

I meant to post about this...

I got this bundle (the regular one with Forza 3 and Alan Wake, that is) about a week and a half ago at Fry's Electronics. The Alan Wake game that is included is not a disc, but rather a DLC code for the full game.

They were sold out of 250GB slims and the manager gave the okay for them to sell me this bundle instead. So if anyone wants it early, you might want to give Fry's a try if you have them in your area, although $249 with an extra game or two next week is an awesome deal.

399gbl.jpg

sweetvar26 said:

Will this be in-store or online? And will this be at BF or will this be during some time next week?

Hartt951

I've always wanted to get a slim with the 250GB HDD, but I've never wanted to plop down 300 bucks for it. But 250 bucks for it, and 3 games, thats incredible.

Birbo said:
Will the old transfer cable & disc work with the slim?

It will connect an old-style HDD to the slim. Disc still works, but you don't really need it as you can move stuff from the dashboard now. The 360 auto-detects the cable and prompts you to transfer stuff.

Mrbob

sweetvar26 said:

You must be referring to Canada? I'd hop on that deal so quick if it were in the USA.

big_z

i'll probably hit up the best buy deal since the points probably amount to more than what Brutal Legends + Tiger Woods 10 are worth in trade in value.

if i take my old xbox to EB for trade in do i get the valued amount for each component such as 120GB hard drive, controller, xbox or does that all count as a system trade in since thats what came in the box??? also does EB take refurbished 360s? my disk drive sounds like it's chewing gravel half the time.

btw some people on redflagdeals are complaining the slim is a lot louder than the old xbox, are there certain ones with quieter drives/fans again? need to know if i should be looking for a certain serial number.

tsigo

big_z said:
if i take my old xbox to EB for trade in do i get the valued amount for each component such as 120GB hard drive, controller, xbox or does that all count as a system trade in since thats what came in the box??? also does EB take refurbished 360s? my disk drive sounds like it's chewing gravel half the time.

The EB I called said they no longer take original 360s for trade-in.

Fox Mulder

I'm looking to get a slim, but I prefer the arcade matte finish. I'd still want to get a 250 GB HDD to put in the arcade, so what's the best/cheapest way? A quick glance at ebay shows a bunch of chinese auctions that take like a month to deliver, or US sellers charging nearly $70 for it.

Hartt951 said:
I've always wanted to get a slim with the 250GB HDD, but I've never wanted to plop down 300 bucks for it. But 250 bucks for it, and 3 games, thats incredible.
It is... if only I didn't have all of those games already. Craaap. Is this a BF only deal? If Amazon matches, I'll probably bite and trade the physical games back into Amazon I guess. I don't need duplicates of games I'm already done with.

tsigo

Well, so far the only mention of that deal on this or any other forum has been from that one guy in this thread, and he hasn't been back to offer a source or any more details, so I'm not holding my breath.

ElNino

tsigo said:
Well, so far the only mention of that deal on this or any other forum has been from that one guy in this thread, and he hasn't been back to offer a source or any more details, so I'm not holding my breath.
I'm pretty sure they will be in this week's flyers for FS and BB.... but this deal is in Canada, not the US (you guys will get your Black Friday deals I'm sure).

ElNino said:
I'm pretty sure they will be in this week's flyers for FS and BB.... but this deal is in Canada, not the US (you guys will get your Black Friday deals I'm sure).

Sadly your deal is way better than any of the black friday deals.

Smokey

Curious:

I've got a regular 360 with a 120GB HD. If I get a slim, can I use the transfer cable to move my content onto the new system? Or no?

ecnal

Smokey said:
Curious:

I've got a regular 360 with a 120GB HD. If I get a slim, can I use the transfer cable to move my content onto the new system? Or no?

i used a transfer cable from my launch 20gb hdd to the new 250gb slim.

worked fine.

BLagiver

Banned
Gameboy415 said:
I kinda want one, but am I the only one that feels like $299 is a way too much for a (re-designed, but essentially identical) 4-year old console?

Yeah its to much unless it comes with kinect and the controller like in the ops picture.
What exactly is making this cost the same price as a ps3 and not to mention the mandatory 60 dollars for online play yearly?

Top Bottom