• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Classics Super Hang-On announced for 3DS

Xbudz

3D Virtua Fighter 1?
3D Daytona USA?
3D Panzer Dragoon?

Sega needs to 1up Nintendo here in the land of 3D Classics.

mclem

If we're going through their 3D (in the sense of heavy use of sprite scaling) games from that era, I'd say Out Run *has* to be one of the remaining two. Not sure what else, though; Afterburner? Thunder Blade? G-Loc?

mclem

Both games so far have been available in 3D before so I guess the other two will be from this list:

Line of Fire
Maze Hunter 3-D
Missile Defense 3-D
OutRun 3-D
Poseidon Wars 3-D
Zaxxon 3-D

If I was a betting man I'd say OutRun and Zaxxon.

Those are all Master System versions (and Zaxxon 3D is quite significantly different from Zaxxon); Space Harrier at least is a 3D version of the *arcade* game.

mclem

A 3D Classics version of the original Zaxxon would be sweet.

True. but a little tricky to make look good with the camera angle as it stands. I suspect, though, Sega's focus here are on the series of arcade games that did '3D' by having powerful sprite scaling hardware; that's the two we've got already and there's quite a few more games that worked the same way.

ascii42

True. but a little tricky to make look good with the camera angle as it stands. I suspect, though, Sega's focus here are on the series of arcade games that did '3D' by having powerful sprite scaling hardware; that's the two we've got already and there's quite a few more games that worked the same way.

Yeah, true. Of the sprite scaling games, Outrun would be my first choice. I have the arcade machine, but it isn't exactly portable.

gunstarhero

I love me some Outrun and Afterburner, but we got excellent reboots already.

Thunderblade and PowerDrift is what we need people!

I think these are the most obvious ones. 3D versions of Power Drift and Galaxy Force II would be nice also.
Agreed! GF2 is especailly a favorite.

I woukdn't mind them moving into Model 1 once the Super Scaler stuff is done either. VF1 and Virtua Racing don't get enough love.

ascii42

Agreed! GF2 is especailly a favorite.

I woukdn't mind them moving into Model 1 once the Super Scaler stuff is done either. VF1 and Virtua Racing don't get enough love.

Never been big on the first Virtua Fighter, but I still play the 32x version of Virtua Racing from time to time. I'd love to see an arcade perfect port, but with the 32x/Saturn cars and tracks.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Shinobi, please.

ShinobiArcadeScreen2.png

wondermega

I feel it's a bad sign that space harrier has been out for so long and still no word on NA release; what's the precedent here?

Very enthused about these classic Sega games getting the full treatment and I'll absolutely buy them the second they are available in this market, but I am not gonna hold my breath :(

Man, Sega really did own the arcade back in the day..

So are they moving up chronologically with these games or are they from the same arcade hardware generation?

So far all Sega Super Scaler games and all designed by Yu Suzuki.

The thing I found mind-blowing about Power Drift back in the day is that the TRACK ITSELF is made of scaled sprites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisCeK0HX8A

I had the PC ENGINE version and used to play it on my handheld Turbo Express. The scaled-sprite-track effect was not as effective as in the arcade version but still impressive for the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgAo9WR0_RI

Amazing news. Space Harrier was fantastic, so expecting more of the same, especially since I like Super Hang On more. Add me to the "Outrun next" crowd too.

stuminus3

Banned
I would love to see Power Drift as part of this series, since that game has had very little presence in Sega's library since it was released but it had the most incredible scaling sprites, it made Super Hang-On look so plain and boring.

Shion

I would love to see Power Drift as part of this series, since that game has had very little presence in Sega's library since it was released but it had the most incredible scaling sprites, it made Super Hang-On look so plain and boring.
Super Hang-On is the better game, though :p.

Billy Lee

So is Outrun, Super Hang On, Afterburner and Space Harrier.

There is movement into and out of the planes though. It's not a single 2d plane.

There is no perspective though. It's more like isometric which doesn't translate well to 3D. Moving into and out of the planes doesn't move you closer or further away from the camera. Outrun etc would work well in 3D because the sprites are represented in perspective so they start far away from the camera then get closer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I just want to know when Space Harrier and this is coming to Europe, I will purchase all of these, also make outrun and after burner and consider +4 sales from me

stuminus3

Banned
Super Hang-On is the better game, though :p.
But graphics!

Also Galaxy Force, which also featured the tilted scaled sprites like Power Drift.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=699&page=1#1855

EDIT: Awesome Galaxy Force II video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUQfcRyjcY
Yeah, I always wondered why Afterburner was the more popular game when Galaxy Force was so impressive and way more fun. I'd actually love to see this one get the "Climax" treatment that Afterburner did.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Fuckin'... who even cares what's next?

SUPER FUCKING HANG ON.

This game is awesome. Though I'd rather just play it on the 360 or PS3...

Top Bottom