• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DM claim to have cracked Denuvo

pager99

Just consider this: the day GFWL goes down, you can't play your legally bought copy anymore. If GFWL wasn't cracked, you couldnt ever play it again. Preservation is pretty damn important, yes.
Fair enough with GFWL but people claiming yay for game preservation when just cause came out 2 months ago on steam makes me chuckle

tuxfool

Banned
Fair enough with GFWL but people claiming yay for game preservation when just cause came out 2 months ago on steam makes me chuckle

It doesn't matter when it is cracked, so long as it is in fact cracked. It would be a wonderful world when Publishers would remove their solutions from older games, but they don't.

They put us on the ruse cruise.

They let Denuvo get full of themselves.

For the grand total of two weeks.

It's a double edged sword. On the one hand, it's bad news for piracy. On the other hand, there will be no other time than right in the release window when these people will be hard at work trying to crack the DRM. In 10 years the enthusiasm won't be there to make these games playable again.

Of course the whole games preservation thing IMO is sort of silly. I fully endorse preserving games; it's just that publishers will be more than willing to re-sell you these games in the future. How many remakes of Resident Evil are we on now?

SURGEdude

I'm just saying alot of people probably use that reason in a conceited fashion

Sure some people have ulterior motives. Doesn't really change the core argument though.

Well for me at least it was my favorite game of 2015 as voted here on Gaf. So I don't think it makes much sense to label people like me as disingenuous for worrying about being able to play it again years down the line.

does this mean we can soon get better mods for just cause 3 soon. Modders have said that denuvo has made it impossible to do there thing.

SURGEdude

Of course the whole games preservation thing IMO is sort of silly. I fully endorse preserving games; it's just that publishers will be more than willing to re-sell you these games in the future. How many remakes of Resident Evil are we on now?

That really only applies to hit games. Let's be totally on the level and admit that likely 90%+ of games never get modernized after launch. And even then I don't think consumers should have to rebuy the same games assuming they are willing to forgo whatever enhancements a remaster might bring.

Wereroku

does this mean we can soon get better mods for just cause 3 soon. Modders have said that denuvo has made it impossible to do there thing.

They have had solutions before but they involved emulation and tricked Denuvo into thinking it was authenticated. They haven't had a way to turn it off before and this doesn't seem like it to me either. So file modification would still be difficult.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The Janitor said:
This is pretty damning if true.
With exception of VMProtect quotes that came off their website, and implication that Denuvo apparently uses a Virtualizer for protection, that post is mostly gibberish, especially technical details.

akira28

Cool. Just don't break your promise, birdsister. I want to know the impact of piracy on commercial sales.

When I hear people say that it sounds so disingenuous, to me it's like a historian fleecing a library, it just doesn't sit right with me

a wat doing a wat?

Seik

Banned
As expected.

Seriously, the moment a dev says that they made an uncrackable game to the press, I just hear it as a callout to pirates like ''TRY ME, MOFO!''

Of course they'll try everything they can to crack shit up, and as always, succeeds in doing it.

I'm interested to see the day where we'll see a truly uncrackable game though.

prudislav

Watch the solution be BUY THE GAMES.
well after all the wierd errors i had trying to run RottR in offline mode I will never buy Denuvo game again or will buy and play cracked like i do with GWL, Starforce and TAges release nowadays (all 3 unplayable legally on Win10)

Genio88

Meanwhile at Microsoft: "They cracked Denuvo? Pc version of Quantum Break delayed to December 2016! fix that now!!
Really, i guess Denuvo is one of the main reason Microsoft decided to release QB on PC this early too, cause they know that it can't be cracked for months at least, and they really care about the first months sales of a game, if this news is true i can really see them delaying the PC port with a motivation like "more time was needed to polish the game and ensure be best quality for the PC port"

pfkas

If what they say is true in that the code runs in a VM of sorts that could explain why Just Cause 3 runs like shit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

There are an awful lot of publishers that no longer exist, and licensing agreements that basically eliminate the possibility of seeing games re-released. And why should I have to rebuy the games down the road? I bought it. That should be enough.

petran79

Banned
I wonder if without anti-piracy protection current gen consoles could use the free resources to run games at 60 fps

Whalermouse

Neo Member
I'm not sure if a game being cracked a while after release will do much damage to the bottom lines of video game companies. Aren't the vast majority of a game's profits from the first month after release?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Exciting news! Hopefully its a full DRM removal so we can get back any performance lost as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm not sure if a game being cracked a while after release will do much damage to the bottom lines of video game companies. Aren't the vast majority of a game's profits from the first month after release?

Specifically on PC - with things like Steam sales - games tend to have much longer tails. Every time someone new comes to PC, and sees your game listed at $7.50, you're likely to get a sale. For years and years to come.

Akronis

Has any performance loss been actually proven? We've had Denuvo games cracked prior to this (unless Denuvo was emulated rather than actually removed).

SURGEdude

PC is less front loaded than consoles. But yes the main benefit publishers see in DRM is in avoiding cracked versions early on when the game is selling at full price.

There are an awful lot of publishers that no longer exist, and licensing agreements that basically eliminate the possibility of seeing games re-released. And why should I have to rebuy the games down the road? I bought it. That should be enough.

This is especially true in the PC space where so many games are self published these days. If the company goes belly up and nobody picks up their IPs then they wither away.

SURGEdude

Has any performance loss been actually proven? We've had Denuvo games cracked prior to this (unless Denuvo was emulated rather than actually removed).

My understanding is it has only been emulated/tricked not actually cracked up to now. So we really can't say for sure. Though it kind of goes without saying that anything added to a game will have some impact on performance. The real question is whether it's a minute .5% drain on the CPU or a 10% one.

Whalermouse

Neo Member
Specifically on PC - with things like Steam sales - games tend to have much longer tails. Every time someone new comes to PC, and sees your game listed at $7.50, you're likely to get a sale. For years and years to come.

That true, I forgot about that. But of the games with the longest tails on Steam, how many can't be pirated? Low prices are effective at combating piracy in and of themselves.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
wow, did they really pull the okeydoke on denuvo?

"we're not going to crack a single player game this year"

"actually we're just kidding LOL"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That true, I forgot about that. But of the games with the longest tails on Steam, how many can't be pirated? Low prices are effective at combating piracy in and of themselves.

Yep, you're totally right. I don't think piracy will have a huge impact on sales because of the low cost of entry and convenience Steam offers. I don't know how true this is for other countries with higher piracy rates though.

jmga

Hopefully it is a crack that fully removes Denuvo and not just bypasses it.

Once it gets cracked, companies will stop using it and we will return to the peaceful world of Steam Client DRM.

valeo

I reckon it's been about ~10 years since I bothered trying to crack a game.

It's way too convenient and affordable now to bother with that; probably helps that I have a job now too!

wow, did they really pull the okeydoke on denuvo?

"we're not going to crack a single player game this year"

"actually we're just kidding LOL"

You forgot the bit where even before that, they were talking about how in two years Denuvo would be perfect and there would be "no free games for anyone anymore" (oh no, the horror!)

Pirate groups said that.

These folks are super smart but the use all that brainpower for free video games.

That's a bit unfortunate.

Bruh, it's just the tip of the iceberg with these guys...

Goldeneye-880x320.jpg

Disxo

Oh man those guys are smart, maybe they dont do it for free games maybe they want to have a challenge.

Nah...
They are doing it for free games.

Durante

That argument is what is silly, and not just sort of.

What if a publisher goes under? Or simply decides there's no "business case" for reselling some particular game?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Game preservation isn't just about the most popular games that come out.

Carlius

Banned
Only strengthens publishers resolve to focus more on consoles then. Enjoy waiting for GTA 6 one year later than everyone else.

enjoy beta testing it for us and having no mods? what a dumb comment, as if piracy influences this in this time and age. Rockstar is just plain greedy with gta and its not because of piracy they dont release on PC, cause it will sell over 15 million copies on console the first week. Money is not the issue, thus piracy argument is invalid.

Top Bottom