• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS is on fire this year so I'm reconsidering my opinion that it would be the first system to be replaced.
I'm not so sure.
Very few of those I'd consider big.
Wii U's line up would be:
Mario and Sonic Rio 2016 (at a later date)
Nintendo Selects Wave 1
Twilight Princess HD
Pokken
Star Fox: Zero
Paper Mario (rumored)
SMT x FE
and Zelda U
Less in quantity but outside of Pokemon I'm not sure the 3DS has many big titles left

As a writer and director he's flopped since Metroid fusions success. That was 2002. If he wants to be a producer that's cool, keep him far away from any of the design choices or script writing though.

He directed Zero Mission after that. And he would be producing a hypothetical Retro Metroid game anyway, since that was Tanabe's role. The director would be a member of Retro. So there's no need to beat him up over it.

I guess it depends on what you consider big.

Dragon Quest VII, VIII, SMT IV Final, Federation Force, Etrian Odyssey 5(?) and Rhythm Heaven are probably bigger releases for me than anything left on Wii U.

casiopao

As a writer and director he's flopped since Metroid fusions success. That was 2002. If he wants to be a producer that's cool, keep him far away from any of the design choices or script writing though.

Design choice? The fact that rhythm heaven and tomodachi series come out under him shows how good he is still till now lol. Maybe he just hate doing metroid again here?

GamerJM

Banned
I still think it's likely that NX console and handheld will just launch simultaneously. It makes the most sense to me. Console launching first in the US and handheld in Japan also seems possible though.

Malakai

I really wish that Nintendo would have had updated the entire 3DS family (2DS, 3DS and 3DS XL) to "New" status AND discontinued OG 3DS family. Could have had extended the time to let the tech for NX Handheld mature a bit more.

Mory Dunz

I'm not so sure.
Very few of those I'd consider big.
Wii U's line up would be:
Mario and Sonic Rio 2016 (at a later date)
Nintendo Selects Wave 1
Twilight Princess HD
Pokken
Star Fox: Zero
Paper Mario (rumored)
SMT x FE
and Zelda U
Less in quantity but outside of Pokemon I'm not sure the 3DS has many big titles left

In Japan it has a few huge titles at least. Maybe one of the bigger years in terms of big hitters

Yokai 3
MH Stories (I could see this breaking 1 million easily)
Pokemon (assuming it comes out)
Dragon Quest Monsters (This will be a few hundred K under 1 million imo)
DQ11 (but apparently this isn't 2016 anymore? so dunno)
There's also a new Puzzles & Dragons but I'm not sure how that will do.

And then there's the weirdness of detective pikachu.

How soon those come to the west and how much they sell? dunno, and maybe not much

Lingitiz

I think Spla2n would catch more people at launch than a 3D Mario, but that's just me.

I can't see any way a new Splatoon game would be ready in less than two years though. I'd say at least 2 full years for development, unless they're just going to do an enhanced port/Splatoon 1.5 or something.

Randomizer

When they go from game number 5 to game number 50, we can see if they maintained a consistent quality like Sakamoto has.
Yeah I love that sentiment. Apparently you make one bad game and you are a hack. Anything you touch will be horrendously bad. Over three decades of creating some of the best, highly creative and fun games, all thrown out the window.

I can't see any way a new Splatoon game would be ready in less than two years though. I'd say at least 2 full years for development, unless they're just going to do an enhanced port/Splatoon 1.5 or something.
Yeah, Spla2n is inevitable but will probably be one of 2017's big titles, not a launch game.

Randomizer

Also since Zelda is most likely cross gen I'm buying an extra Wii U copy. Going by the prices of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, it should be a nice investment.

GamerJM

Banned
I think Spla2n would catch more people at launch than a 3D Mario, but that's just me.

I think a Splatoon 2 would entice more current Nintendo enthusiasts, since a lot of the current Splatoon playerbase would suddenly see the Wii U has a must-purchase console, but a new 3D Mario (especially a Galaxy) would entice the gaming industry as a whole more, since mainline 3D Mario games are basically agreed upon by lots of people, even non-Nintendo fans, to be fantastic games.

TDLink

If true. Curious as to what "N-Stars" could be.

Nintendo Skylanders. Which needs to happen anyways. We have all these Amiibo, we want to actually use them for something more than random cosmetics or items we can get anyways. An beat em up co-op game where you can play the same selection of characters as smash, based on which Amiibo you have. It would be great.

Pokemon 20th anniversary game has me intrigued. Hopefully a traditional Pokemon RPG, something like a full Yellow remake or something.

Mory Dunz

I'd like to think they'd have one big non-WiiU game ready at launch. It would theoretically be time for a new 3D Mario actually.

If Zelda NX is a launch title, it greatly decreases the chance of 3D Mario being there too in my opinion, despite us being due for it.

atr0cious

As someone who is getting back into the wii u after the last AAA rush of new games, i just don't think there is anything Nintendo could do to get me to feel like I need to jump ship. I also don't know if they have anything that can force people into maybe a second or third console this late in the generation. This only leads me to believe they're going all in on blue ocean, and I'm scared for them. I hope they knock it out of the park, whatever the fuck it is.

Spla2n might do it, depending on how they expand, which is why I'm banking on it getting at the most announced for next year.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I haven't read through the thread yet, but is Pokemon Z ever going to happen?

Nintendo Skylanders. Which needs to happen anyways. We have all these Amiibo, we want to actually use them for something more than random cosmetics or items we can get anyways. An beat em up co-op game where you can play the same selection of characters as smash, based on which Amiibo you have. It would be great.
This.

I hate Amiibo, but it would be strange if Nintendo doesn't make their own Skylanders.

Pokemaniac

You think a 20th Anniversary game would be a third version of X&Y?

Just because it would be the third version for X and Y doesn't mean it can't also be an anniversary game. Z is already looking potentially pretty unconventional as it is (mainly due to the Zygarde forms), so it isn't unreasonable that there might also be some special anniversary content.

GamerJM

Banned
I think you guys are reading too much into the name with N-Stars, OP said at one point not to read into them. Cadillac sounds nothing like Style Savvy. Nintendo Skylanders makes sense, but not on 3DS. When it happens it should be an NX game, maybe even an NX launch game.

I think N-Stars is either an unlocalized game like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 or Rhythm Heaven Plus (Caviar F would mean Picross 3D 2 in that case, out of Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, and Picross, RH probably has the highest budget), or something else. Maybe something Pokemon related (like Pokemon Snap 2 or something), after all one 20th anniversary game might not be enough. If it is related to the name it could even be
Jump Stars 3

maxcriden

If it's a 3DS game, though, as others have said I suspect it would be for NX as well, because such a tiny percentage of 3DS owners have the ability to scan in amiibo (via the peripheral or by owning a N3DS). (FWIW I'd hesitate to read very much into these code names.)

I think you guys are reading too much into the name with N-Stars, OP said at one point not to read into them. Cadillac sounds nothing like Style Savvy. Nintendo Skylanders makes sense, but not on 3DS. When it happens it should be an NX game, maybe even an NX launch game.

Well maybe it is. This list contains only 3ds games. Skylanders also has 3ds versions. Maybe there is NX version also.

Neoxon

I think N-Stars is either an unlocalized game like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 or Rhythm Heaven Plus (Caviar F would mean Picross 3D 2 in that case, out of Style Savvy, Rhythm Heaven, and Picross, RH probably has the highest budget), or something else. Maybe something Pokemon related (like Pokemon Snap 2 or something), after all one 20th anniversary game might not be enough. If it is related to the name it could even be
Jump Stars 3
Another leaker already said that Cadillac is Style Savvy, so.....yeah. As for Rhythm Heaven, the only thing that would cost a bit is the localization of the vocal songs.

There's no reason to assume a "Nintendo Skylanders" couldn't be a 3DS AND Wii U game, or couldn't also have an NX version down the line as well. So I wouldn't dismiss the idea for any such reasoning.

Not that I actually think it's overwhelmingly likely that's what the game is. It could be literally anything, and that's of course assuming this leak pans out at all.

maxcriden

There's no reason to assume a "Nintendo Skylanders" couldn't be a 3DS AND Wii U game, or couldn't also have an NX version down the line as well. So I wouldn't dismiss the idea for any such reasoning.

Not that I actually think it's overwhelmingly likely that's what the game is. It could be literally anything, and that's of course assuming this leak pans out at all.

I think the reason some of us think that to be less likely is that this would be a major Wii U game if so, and the same leak also stated there is only one major unannounced Wii U game, and we already have Paper Mario as the primary candidate to be that game, and perhaps Pikmin 4 as the secondary candidate. That seems to indicate it's less likely to be such a game.

TDLink

I think the reason some of us think that to be less likely is that this would be a major Wii U game if so, and the same leak also stated there is only one major unannounced Wii U game, and we already have Paper Mario as the primary candidate to be that game, and perhaps Pikmin 4 as the secondary candidate. That seems to indicate it's less likely to be such a game.

A hypothetical Nintendo Skylanders, as others have already said, could be on all Nintendo platforms...just like how Skylanders is on basically everything. If that only one unannounced NX game thing is legit, they could also just make it 3DS/NX and cut their losses on Wii U.

Neoxon

But it wasn't listed amongst the Wii U titles, especially with the one mystery Wii U game rumored to be for Paper Mario.

maxcriden

A hypothetical Nintendo Skylanders, as others have already said, could be on all Nintendo platforms...just like how Skylanders is on basically everything. If that only one unannounced NX game thing is legit, they could also just make it 3DS/NX and cut their losses on Wii U.

Where was "one unannounced NX game" said? I thought that was about Wii U. Not meaning to argue, just confused.

MK_768

It'll be interesting what this Pokemon game will be in a couple days when it's likely to be revealed.

If it seems like an anniversary game then Trev's "leak" will be treated like gospel, more so than it already is by some. However, if it isn't people will likely turn on it and him very quickly.

TDLink

Where was "one unannounced NX game" said? I thought that was about Wii U. Not meaning to argue, just confused.

I meant to type Wii U but had NX on the brain. I mean they could do the game for 3ds/Wii U and NX. Or if there really is only 1 unannounced Wii U game (Paper Mario) they could just skip it since it's underperforming and make it 3ds/NX only.

It'll be interesting what this Pokemon game will be in a couple days when it's likely to be revealed.

If it seems like an anniversary game then Trev's "leak" will be treated like gospel, more so than it already is by some. However, if it isn't people will likely turn on it and him very quickly.

I guess it depends. On one thing you'd think they could wait for E3.

But on the other hand, X and Y and ORAS were both announced completely out of nowhere so who knows, we could very well see the anniversary/holiday game be announced. If there is anything announced.

Hold up... could N Stars be that Diddy Kong Racing sequel? Wasn't it supposed to be composed of lesser known Nintendo characters?

MK_768

I guess it depends. On one thing you'd think they could wait for E3.

But on the other hand, X and Y and ORAS were both announced completely out of nowhere so who knows, we could very well see the anniversary/holiday game be announced. If there is anything announced.

Sure but this is Gaf. Overreaction is a must lol. That's why I can see if a Z is announced and it doesn't seem like an anniversary game...Trev would get criticized to hell and back lol.

I wonder if this is the fastest turnaround for a rumor we've gotten in awhile.
Disney art academy was listed or at least found a few hours after and now there's likely a new pokemon game being announced on friday

But he never said it was an anniversary game? Rainbow could mean anything like.

Chorazin

In Japan it has a few huge titles at least. Maybe one of the bigger years in terms of big hitters

Yokai 3
MH Stories (I could see this breaking 1 million easily)
Pokemon (assuming it comes out)
Dragon Quest Monsters (This will be a few hundred K under 1 million imo)
DQ11 (but apparently this isn't 2016 anymore? so dunno)
There's also a new Puzzles & Dragons but I'm not sure how that will do.

And then there's the weirdness of detective pikachu.

How soon those come to the west and how much they sell? dunno, and maybe not much

Puzzle and Dragons is gonna make bank, they're even giving it the Pokemon two game treatment. Hell, even I'm tempted by the new one and I'm awful at Puzzle and Dragons, I gave up on Mario Edition since it was too expensive.

Even with the language barrier (I only play games I don't need to reach much in, I can recognize YES and NO but that's about it) it'll be hard not to buy MH Stories from the eShop day one. I'm reasonably sure Capcom is gonna bring that over here though, even it's an Xmas release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom