• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esiquio

About the StreetPass Map:

At first, it wasn't showing up for me. And I already had ~250 people in my plaza. A good amount were actual StreetPasses, and the rest were from Mario Kart 7. But still, no map.

After doing some online races in MK7, I went back to the Mii Plaza. Lo and behold, the map showed up. Oddly enough, it only showed the regions of the people I just raced. I'm guessing it doesn't have a way to check through the previous Miis, so it only checks ones you've met after the update.

Nope, it showed people from all the regions I had met before.

waicol

Banned
Yeah, my friend list is still there and I even see a friend online which means my friend code shouldn't have changed either (I haven't exactly memorized it but I'd assume if you can see your list and someone online, your code should be the same).

Awesome. glad that i was wrong. Now i just need to wait for a purple transparent 3ds and transfer everything.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Is the 10 minute recording limit hard coded, or was that based on the standard 2GB memory card?

I ask as I have the standard card and it tells me I can record about 7.5 minutes of video... and that makes me wonder if 10 minutes is based on a mostly empty 2GBSD card, and if it's possible to record MORE on a larger card.

About the StreetPass Map:

At first, it wasn't showing up for me. And I already had ~250 people in my plaza. A good amount were actual StreetPasses, and the rest were from Mario Kart 7. But still, no map.

After doing some online races in MK7, I went back to the Mii Plaza. Lo and behold, the map showed up. Oddly enough, it only showed the regions of the people I just raced. I'm guessing it doesn't have a way to check through the previous Miis, so it only checks ones you've met after the update.

Either that, or it just picked a weird time to start showing up. I'll see how the map updates after more MK7 races.
Not the same for me. Hmmmm how odd.
Also is this new? When I check people I have streetpassed a new option asks if I want more info on there lasted played game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Mario Kart 7 / Spot Passed Miis don't appear to show up on your Globe; looks like just StreetPassed Miis to me. A couple of States, Ontario, UK, and a Japanese prefecture.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Nope, it showed people from all the regions I had met before.
I really don't know why it showed up all of a sudden for me. The only country that shows up for me is America with 6 states highlighted. I've only personally StreetPassed people on college campus, and I'm guessing none of those were out of country. I'll see how it changes over time.

Also, I may have been completely wrong about saying the states highlighted were those from the races. I only glanced at the screen when it was showing people, and a couple of them matched the highlighted states.

Teknoman

Who composed the music for Find Mii, specifically the battle themes? They're actually kinda cool for a light hearted RPG...makes me want Nintendo to make an actual full RPG with the Mii theme.

Mik2121

I got the Mario Kart 7 puzzle (40 pieces, damn!)
Also on the maps I have the maps of Japan (where I live) and the US (I streetpasses some American guy back when I was in Singapore).

Emitan

Who composed the music for Find Mii, specifically the battle themes? They're actually kinda cool for a light hearted RPG...makes me want Nintendo to make an actual full RPG with the Mii theme.

DoomXploder7 said they should make a Mii SRPG and now I can't get the thought out of my head!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It definitely shows the StreetPass tags from your past, or at least it does with mine, since I had people from Australia, Belgium, and France show up from a hostel visit in Tokyo I had several months back. Fun Fact: It shows "pages" for Belgium and Australia on my US 3DS with "No map available for this region" message in the background, but France has a real map with the areas outlined. I live in Japan and imported the system, still two hits from the States.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Kazumi Totaka, maybe? He did a lot of the other OS tunes - the eShop music, the Ambassador Certificate tune, etc.

-KRS-

Hmm, I have neither the StreetPass Map nor the Music Player you guys are talking about. And I have StreetPassed two people.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So what is the spotpass thing for Mii Plaza? Does it give a piece of a puzzle everyday? So confused!
I don't get it either. Is it sort of like... you get a StreetPass tag with people who are on the same WiFi network as you? I don't think it's the same as the Invite Miis option, which is what lets you add Miis that you've played with online. I'm confused.

GaussTek

Playing a bit more with some converted videos.

Tried with a longer video (~22 min) and of course, doesn't get recognized. Not that I was expecting otherwise.

But seems short videos (I assume 10 min or less) work just perfect (Xenoblade US Trailer):

hA6Hz.jpg

The only downside is that a 3 minute video is around 60 MB LMAO (with a 2496 kbps bitrate), but looks alright (surely better than the Nintendo Video ones lol).

I guess it is great for short (Youtube) videos. Oh, and I'm too dumb to convert to a 3D one.

Playing a bit more with some converted videos.

Tried with a longer video (~22 min) and of course, doesn't get recognized. Not that I was expecting otherwise.

But seems short videos (I assume 10 min or less) work just perfect (Xenoblade US Trailer):

hA6Hz.jpg

The only downside is that a 3 minute video is around 60 MB LMAO (with a 2496 kbps bitrate), but looks alright (surely better than the Nintendo Video ones lol).

I guess it is great for short (Youtube) videos.
Mind PMing me a download link of that xenoblade trailer? The 3DS one of course.

Luigiv

SO I HAVE DONE THE SYSTEM TRANSFER AND CAN CONFIRM THAT IT IS AN EXACT TRANSFER FROM YOUR OLD 3DS TO YOUR NEW ONE!

All of my saved data, 3DS games, 3D trailers, virtual console games, NES games, and settings are there, including all the Mii Plaza stuff. It's all unchaged. Most importantly, the little Ambassador Program video icon is still there which I assume means those of us who transfer will still get the GBA games when that starts rolling out.

It even has my icons on the main menu in the size and order I originally had them on.

It seems like it does like when you do a Time Machine backup for a Mac where it restores all your settings, only your old 3DS get wiped in the process instead. Otherwise, it seems identical so far.
Oh that's cool. Didn't expect it to be so comprehensive.

Really? Thats awsome!

Just 1 more question does the activity log playtime transfer over? I assume say since everything else does, also do saves (including dsiware since they didnt with dsi-3ds) transfer over?

Yep!! All the activity log data is there!! So far I haven't seen anything negative about this update if you're using it for the proper purposes.

GaussTek

Alright, I'll upload the video on MF or something, just wait a bit as my upload speed is amazing.

Oh and mind you the audio isn't that great, as I used mono on the convert settings LOL

Erethian

Yep!! All the activity log data is there!! So far I haven't seen anything negative about this update if you're using it for the proper purposes.

I'm curious, what happens when you enter the serial code of either system on the Ambassador registration page?

Assuming it removes the registration from your old device and adds it to the new one.

watershed

Banned
Alright, I'll upload the video on MF or something, just wait a bit as my upload speed is amazing.

Oh and mind you the audio isn't that great, as I used mono on the convert settings LOL

So if we download this video do we need some kind of special program on our 3ds to play it?

waicol

Banned
Guess i'll have to get a bigger sd card, what's the limit of capacity it's supports the 3ds?. And what type of class?.

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
What is Find Mii? Or, is it just Streetpast Quest but named differently in America?

Anyway, I completed it awhile ago. I just updated and opened it and it asked if I wanted to rewatch the ending or start over. I selected start over and it says I can "go collect all the original hats again!", which sounds pointless ._. I thought there would be new hats? EDIT: PLayed through first room... seems like they are new hats. Odd wording, lol.
Also, I don't seem to have Streetpast Quest 2. How do I access that?

You have to beat twice to access to Find Mii 2 (Streetpass Quest 2).

I'm curious, what happens when you enter the serial code of either system on the Ambassador registration page?

Assuming it removes the registration from your old device and adds it to the new one.

You mean the page for people who didn't sign in to the eShop but instead registered online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom